Start by marking “Dodger” as Want to Read:
Dodger

Dodger

(Dodger #1)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  21,405 ratings  ·  2,686 reviews
A storm. Rain-lashed city streets. A flash of lightning. A scruffy lad sees a girl leap desperately from a horse-drawn carriage in a vain attempt to escape her captors. Can the lad stand by and let her be caught again? Of course not, because he's...Dodger.

Seventeen-year-old Dodger may be a street urchin, but he gleans a living from London's sewers, and he knows a jewel whe
Hardcover, First Edition, 360 pages
Published September 13th 2012 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Dodger, please sign up.
George Ah. Right. Cataloged as "Teen" at the city library, now that I look at the spine.

That would explain the footnotes that give you all the information…more

That would explain the footnotes that give you all the information you need to find on the Net what your theoretical parents theoretically wouldn't like to see in your books.(less)
Can't Wait Books of 2012
2,527 books — 15,745 voters
American Gods by Neil GaimanThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussDodger by Terry PratchettNeverwhere by Neil GaimanThe Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss
100 in 2012
153 books — 31 voters

More lists with this book...

·  21,405 ratings  ·  2,686 reviews

Andrea
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-requests
It is impossible for me to read a new Terry Pratchett independently of the memory of the last 30 years of reading each eagerly awaited book, one by one, with utmost delight.
It is impossible for me to read a new Terry Pratchett without my vivid recollection of him, eyes twinkling from under the brim of his hat, as he signed my precious books, and answered my breathless "Mr (it was ages ago) Pratchett, thank you so much for all the hours of reading pleasure" with "Madam, thank you so much for all
Patrick
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A couple weeks ago, I was having a real pisser of a day. Then I remembered there was a new Terry Pratchett book out and things didn't seem so bad anymore.

When I first started to read it, I got two surprises. The first was that it wasn't a Discworld book. Which I'm fine with, given how much I loved Nation.

The other surprise was the language of the book. To be completely honest (and I'm really embarrassed to admit this.) when I started reading the book, I thought that Terry's Alzheimer's had fin
Starswirl the Bearded
First, a disclaimer: As virtually a life-long Pratchett fan, I would probably buy anything he publishes. If he were to release a book titled World of Poo, I would probably...oh. Nevermind.

description

The point I'm making is that I can't be objective when it comes to this author - the Discworld books are too much a part of my life; I cried while watching TP's deeply personal euthanasia documentary; I know certain Discworld characters better than I know members of my extended family.

But this is a review of Do
Char
Dodger by Terry Pratchett, narrated by Stephen Briggs
I listened to this on audio, and I dug the narrator. I dug him a lot!

This book was funny and fun. A lot of the humor was laugh out loud funny and a lot of the fun was in spotting the real folk amidst all the fictional characters.

I had a blast listening to this and if I could afford it, I would listen to the entire Discworld series narrated by Mr. Briggs. Alas,  I cannot, so I guess I still have to read them.

Toby
Without wanting to get in to yet another debate with 30 something adults about the legitimacy of said adults reading novels meant for tweens is there another author working in the YA field who treats said YA's with as much respect and intelligence as Terry Pratchett? I seriously doubt it. If there were I wouldn't hold the publisher manufactured genre in such contempt.

Dodger is most assuredly a YA novel, a softening of Pratchett's usual intelligent discussion of humanity and witty banter but not
Tatiana
While I mostly enjoyed Dodger, I don't think I'll be reaching for more Terry Pratchett books. His narrative style, if Dodger is indicative at all of the rest of his work, is a bit too... extra for my taste. The wit, the cleverness, the puns - it gets tiresome. Also, this kind of writing I find more fitting for children's books, and this one wasn't exactly that, although Dodger feels more like a 12-year old boy most of the book, that is until he makes it clear he is ready to get married.

IMO, in
Shovelmonkey1
Jun 12, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: old skool pratchett fans
Terry Pratchett saved me just as I was blundering into my teenage years and wondering how to make the leap from books designed for little kiddiewinks to the adult side of the library where all the books were hefty and hardback and full of secret promise. I am so old that the whole concept of the tweenager did not yet exist and so you were faced with the stark choice Enid Blyton or Jackie Collins when you wandered into a library. Of course there was Judy Blume but her books take about five minute ...more
Elevetha
1.5 stars.

So it wasn't horrid. But I didn't really care for it either.

First off, this must be said, it didn't feel like a Terry Pratchett book. At all. No zany magic that makes no sense (which was fine). None of his trademark humor (which was not). No likable characters. Just a mystery novel that didn't even feel like a mystery. Boo.

The cover: IT LIED. It promised a cute and fun mystery with an adorable small boy main character. Not a bit.

Dodger was okay. His character was really rather boring.
Marta Álvarez
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carly
May 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
“People are what they do, and what they leave behind.”
If you’re ever in the mood for a cute, light, fluffy, heartwarming story, then you should really think about picking up Dodger.

The book’s eponymous protagonist is an orphaned street urchin who lives in Victorian London and works as a “tosher”--that is, someone who goes into the sewers to find treasures in the trash. When he pops out of a sewer to be ”the knight in soaking armor” to a lady in distress, he suddenly finds that one small act of k
Daniel (Attack of the Books!) Burton
The most unexpectedly fun read of the year is Terry Pratchett's Dodger. With an unmatched skill, Pratchett shows himself to be a writer akin to to Mark Twain and as adept in the historical world of 19th century London as he is in the imaginary world of Ankh-Morpork.

A month ago or so, Britt came home with a book on CD for a road trip.

"It's called Dodger," she said as we set off down the road. "By some guy called Terry Pratchett."

"Discworld?" I asked from the driver's seat.

"Disc-what?" she said.
Ben
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
There's some pleasure to be had in Terry Pratchett writing about actual *London*, instead of Ankh-Morpork, but this is weak stuff.

There are also some points for Terry's basic humanity and his fondness for reformers like Charles Dickens and Henry Mayhew. But every character who isn't an historical person falls utterly flat: the cheeky Cockney rascal, the canny Jewish elder, the smelly dog, there's even a reference to a whore with a heart of gold, I think.

A rare, unexpected moment that works makes
Crispitina30
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Se terminó... :(

Un largo bloqueo lector y un seguido de problemas personales han hecho que tardara un mes en leerlo, pero, ahora que lo he terminado, me da muchísima pena separarme de esta historia. Ha sido toda una aventura victoriana llena de valores y que demuestra que, incluso en el mayor ambiente de miseria, podredumbre y desesperación, existe gente buena en el mundo.

Debo decir que algunas partes del argumento me ha costado entenderlas. También me ha parecido que no tiene tanto humor como
Kaethe Douglas
I love clever stories about clever young people forming convoluted plots and tricking people. When an author manages to give me that, Charles Dickens as a newspaperman, Sweeney Todd, the drains of London, Jews escaped from the pogroms of Russia (including Karl), a noisome dog named Onan, and more, well, I'm pretty much beside myself with glee through the whole thing. A big old sack of awesome. And now, I've got to get a hold of Mayhew's London Labour and the London Poor, Vol. 3.

Still need convin
Huw Evans
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, history
This is an excellent book, if a rather perplexing one. The story is set in Victorian London and thereby lies some of my confusion. Firstly, it very bravely sucks real figures of the time into the storyline (e.g. Dickens, Mayhew, Burdett-Coutts, Peel) which is potentially dangerous. Secondly, everybody knows that Pterry writes about Discworld so I found myself constantly expecting to encounter the denizens of Ankh-Morpork at every turn. There are so many parallels between Victorian London and A-M ...more
Meikoyim
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, mystery
My first ever Terry Pratchett.

I know, I know, I'm behind in the game, what with Discworld taking up half (well, quite a sizeable proportion at least) of my to-read list.

Dodger is the story of a nobody with a gallant heart, and with wits about him as people living on the streets in the days of Victorian London would have to have in order to survive. It is about his past as well as his future, about the change that befell him one stormy night.

I must say I enjoyed the read rather more than I would
Erastes
Sep 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Wasn't sure what to expect, to be honest - I thought it was a Discworld novel, with Dickensian overtones with an Ankh-Morpork Dodger character so it was a pleasant surprise to find it set in actual Victorian London(although, as Pratchett himself says, a London with a bit of a shine on it.)

I was seriously impressed by the writing and to me it seemed as though Pratchett has been leading up to this book via the YA books, particularly Maurice, and the Watch novels. There are undertones of much of No
Kirsty
Sep 05, 2012 rated it liked it
As a huge Pratchett fan, I thoroughly enjoyed Dodger - a non-Discworld tale of an heroic tosher working in the squalor of Dickensian London who saves a mysterious girl from a savage beating one stormy night.
And so begins a quite fantastical tale involving Sweeney Todd, Charles Dickens, Benjamin Disraeli and other historical figures as our hero seeks to save a damsel in distress and prevent an international incident and an improbable war.

The author's style has changed noticeably during the course
Paul Brogan
Oct 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: airport
Not Pratchett's best. The plot was thin, the characters didn't come to life, and even some of the grammar was poor, especially for Charles Dickens, who really ought to have known the difference between 'who' and 'whom'.

What saved the book, however, apart from the sensitive treatment of Sweeney Todd and the wonderful imagery of London's sewers, was, I think, Pratchett himself. One never knows whether this book or the next will be his last, and I buy every one of them aware that the man is a legen
Arun Divakar
Feb 25, 2014 rated it liked it
The Darwinian maxim of survival of the fittest is almost chanted like a mantra by a lot of people I know. In the world in front of our eyes, no other principle is put to use with such effortless ease as this one. An erstwhile boss of mine used to call such a skill in the corporate world as 'streetsmart' which at an early stage of my career I found to be a rather plain usage. But as time went by, I understood the need for such a survival skill and just why is it that he called it so. Dodger is th ...more
K.
Trigger warnings: assault, miscarriage, violence, mental health, death.

21/3/2018
4.5 stars. On reread, I'm bumping this down half a star, simply because I knew what to expect and the presence of the various historical figures didn't make me giggle uncontrollably the way it did the first time around.

Still, it perfectly captures early Victorian London. Dodger is an absolutely FANTASTIC character - he's an antihero through and through, treading the moral grey zone between doing the right thing and
Nathan
I hate to say it, but maybe it is time Pratchett leaves Diskworld behind(much as I hope for one more trip with the witches of Lancre). If he keeps writing quality entertainment like this I will forgive him completely.

Hard to put in a category, but as the author calls it Historical Fantasy in the afterword, that is good enough for me. Follows the title character who early on rescues a women from a bad situation, then does his best to keep her safe. As is the norm for this type of book, meets lot
John
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Sir Terry tries his hand at channeling Charles Dickens, gets it all right and, as usual, dishes up a deliciously funny, romantic and philosophically profound tale. He dubs it a historical fantasy because he's played a little jiggery pokery with dates, but the only magic is in the storytelling, so I'd call it a straight historical novel. Set in Victorian London, it's about an unusually capable streets-raised lad who rises in the world after rescuing a damsel in distress (who, to be sure, takes a ...more
Kim
Whilst this isn't the next Discworld book we've all been waiting for the latest Pratchett book is still worth reading. Set in Victorian London, Dodger is a mixture of alternate history as well as a mystery novel.

Dodger is the archetypical young ragamuffin, brought up on the streets but with a heart of gold and intelligence not generally found amongst his peers, who finds himself in a position to change his life and rub shoulders with the top of society. For those who've read Raymond Feist's boo
Dorian
Dec 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
I found this an odd, and slightly awkward book. It has a lot of what Pratchett likes to do, and does well: a big, busy city full of things and people that most people don't notice; customs, superstitions, and language that have intrigued him; a convoluted storyline with humour and drama and a happy ending.

The trouble is, none of it seems to quite gel. The characters are less well-rounded than I would expect. The writing doesn't flow with Pratchett's usual smoothness. The dialogue is jerky, the c
Matt
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
I tried, honestly. But ultimately this book falls prey to a plot that you never really get invested or interested in. Lots of potential, but untapped.
MB (What she read)
1st read 10/24/12: Thoroughly enjoyable! I still love Solomon and feel less thrilled by Serendipity. But the ending was perfect for Dodger.

One thing I want to point out was how nice it was to see a sympathetic and heroic jewish character in a Victorian setting. Such a nice modernism to include. Subversive even, with TP's great sense of humor.

Be sure to have Wikipedia available when reading this book. I couldn't help but learn something!

2nd read 10/28/13: I would love a book about Solomon's past.
Emma Flanagan
Mar 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off lets be clear, while this is by Terry Pratchett this is not a fantasy book. Discworld fans hoping for something in that vein will be disappointed. To be honest I'm not entirely sure what I'd class it as. Spin-off of a classic? Historical fiction? In reality its probably both. The titular character if not actually the Artful Dodger from Oliver Twist, is certainly based on him and a man by the names of Charlie Dickens who runs a newspaper and is concerned with the well being of the poor ...more
Will Ransohoff
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Dodger is an ode to Dickensian London through and through, right down to the slightly too saccharine to believe ending. That optimism is part of the charm, though. And like Dickens' novels, it takes a beneficent view of 19th century London's poor. The book practically shouts that the only important difference between the poor and the rich is that the rich have money, as evidenced by Dodger's rise from the gutter to Saville Row in just a few days.

But that message is sort of hamstrung by the chara
You'll love this ...: February 2016 -Dodger 63 39 Mar 07, 2016 08:52PM
  • The White Bicycle (Wild Orchard, #3)
  • Carpe Jugulum: The Play
  • In Darkness
  • The Great Tennessee Monkey Trial
  • Revolver
  • No Crystal Stair: A Documentary Novel of the Life and Work of Lewis Michaux, Harlem Bookseller
  • Wonder Show
  • Jepp, Who Defied the Stars
  • The FitzOsbornes at War
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Strings Attached
  • Cuttlefish (Cuttlefish, #1)
  • Life: An Exploded Diagram
  • The Returning
  • Summer of the Mariposas
  • Heart to Heart: New Poems Inspired by Twentieth-Century American Art
  • Hand in Hand: Ten Black Men Who Changed America
  • The Kingdom on the Waves (The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, #2)

Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels, i
“Money makes people rich; it is a fallacy to think it makes them better, or even that it makes them worse. People are what they do, and what they leave behind.” 27 likes
“Young man, the games we play are lessons we learn. The assumptions we make, things we ignore, and things we change make us what we become.” 27 likes