The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SPRING CHALLENGE 2014 > 30.1 - Susan A's task: Eat, Sleep, Swim, Repeat

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Mar 12, 2014 04:17PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10915 comments Mod
30.1 - Susan A’s Task: Eat, Sleep, Swim, Repeat

Spring is championship season for my house full of swimmers. This season’s task is based on swimming.

Choose two different options and read one book for each.

1. BACKSTROKE: Backstroke consists of an alternating motion of the arms with a flutter kick while on the back. On turns, swimmers may rotate to the stomach and perform a flip turn and some part of the swimmer must touch the wall. The swimmer must finish on the back.

Read a book that shows at least one person from the back on the cover
Required: Include cover with your post.
Examples: The Hardest Thing A Dan Stagg Mystery by James Lear Animal Magnetism (Animal Magnetism, #1) by Jill Shalvis Salting Roses by Lorelle Marinello The Devil Inside (Morgan Kingsley, #1) by Jenna Black The Shadowy Horses by Susanna Kearsley Dangerous Secrets (Dangerous, #2) by Lisa Marie Rice The Proper Care and Maintenance of Friendship by Lisa Verge Higgins

2. BREASTSTROKE: The breaststroke requires simultaneous movements of the arms on the same horizontal plane. The hands are pressed out from in front of the breast in a heart shaped pattern and recovered under or on the surface of the water. The kick is a simultaneous somewhat circular motion similar to the action of a frog. On turns and at the finish, the swimmer must touch the wall with both hands simultaneously at, above or below the water surface.

Read a book with a bare male chest on the cover (full or partially exposed) or a woman showing a lot of cleavage on the cover.
Required: Include the cover with your post.
Examples: Changing the Game (Play by Play, #2) by Jaci Burton Undertow (Cutter Cay #1) by Cherry Adair Black Magic by Cherry Adair -- Uncomplicated - A Vegas Girl's Tale by Dawn Robertson A Rogue by Any Other Name (The Rules of Scoundrels, #1) by Sarah MacLean It Had to Be You (Chicago Stars, #1) by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

3. BUTTERFLY: Some consider the butterfly to be the most beautiful of the strokes. It features a simultaneous recovery of the arms over the water combined with an undulating dolphin kick. In the kick, the swimmer must keep both legs together and may not flutter, scissors or use the breaststroke kick. Both hands must touch the wall simultaneously on the turns and the finish.

Read a book with the word butterfly, dolphin or fly in the title, subtitle or series title. Plurals and possessives are allowed. Variations of the word "fly" may be used so long as they preserve the meaning of the word - for instance, "flying," "flies," "flown," "flew," "flier," "flyer," "flyboy," etc. would work, but "highflier" and "briefly" would not.
Required: If using the series title, state the name of the series when you post.

4. FREESTYLE: In freestyle events, the competitor may swim any stroke. The stroke most commonly used is sometimes called the crawl, which is characterized by the alternate stroking of the arms over the surface of the water surface and an alternating (up-and-down) flutter kick.

Read a book of your choice that meets the general SRC requirements.

5. Individual Medley (IM): The individual medley, commonly referred to as the IM, features all four strokes. In the IM, the swimmer begins with the butterfly, then changes after one-fourth of the race to backstroke, then breaststroke and finally freestyle.

Read a book with the letters IM consecutive within a single word in the title or subtitle. There can be no spaces or punctuation between the I and the M.
Examples: Mr. Impossible, In the Time of the Butterflies, Lord Jim

6. USA Swimming : the National Governing Body for the sport of swimming in the United States, USA Swimming is a 400,000-member service organization that promotes the culture of swimming by creating opportunities for swimmers and coaches of all backgrounds to participate and advance in the sport through clubs, events and education.

Read a book with the genre sports or athletes listed on the book's main page.

Required: Identify the options used and supply any required information when you post.

message 2: by Susan A (last edited Mar 11, 2014 06:30PM) (new)

Susan A Genre approved (option 6)

sports and games > sports
Drop Shot
Knights of the Hill Country

sports>
A Season of Miracles: A Novel

message 3: by Susan A (last edited May 16, 2014 04:49AM) (new)

Susan A Backstroke approved (option 1)
Dead To Me (Scott & Bailey, #1) by Cath Staincliffe Not My Daughter by Barbara Delinsky The Postcard Killers by James Patterson Secrets of Eden by Chris Bohjalian Emerald Green by Kerstin Gier Cutting for Stone  by Abraham Verghese Black Swan Rising (Black Swan Rising #1) by Lee Carroll Froi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles, #2) by Melina Marchetta The Weight of Silence by Heather Gudenkauf We Were Liars by E. Lockhart Midnight Rising John Brown and the Raid That Sparked the Civil War by Tony Horwitz
Backstroke not approved
The Hit (Will Robie, #2) by David Baldacci Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3) by Marissa Meyer

Breaststroke approved (option 2)
It Had to Be You (Chicago Stars, #1) by Susan Elizabeth Phillips The Arrangement (The Survivors' Club #2) by Mary Balogh Ildfuglen by Hedda H. Robertsen Uganda Be Kidding Me by Chelsea Handler Skinny Dip by Carl Hiaasen Come Away with Me (With Me in Seattle, #1) by Kristen Proby Dona Flor and Her Two Husbands by Jorge Amado

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10915 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments Hi Susan would this one work for backstroke?

The Hit (Will Robie, #2) by David Baldacci

message 6: by Susan A (new)

Susan A No. (I really want to say yes because I hate saying no, but if those people were in the pool they'd be disqualified)

message 7: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments no problem. As a swimmer I love your task.

message 8: by Susan A (new)

Susan A Thanks!

message 9: by Delmy (new)

Delmy  (needfulreads) These work?

Option 3:
In the Time of The Butterflies by Julia Alvarez

Option 4: The Terror by Dan Simmons

message 10: by Susan A (new)

Susan A Delmy =^.^= wrote: "These work?

Option 3:
In the Time of The Butterflies by Julia Alvarez

Option 4: The Terror by Dan Simmons"

Yes. Looks like some heavy reading. Good luck!

message 11: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda | 58 comments Would Drop Shot work for Option 6? Sports And Games > Sports is a genre listed on the main page.

Thanks for your time

message 12: by Susan A (new)

Susan A Rhonda wrote: "Would Drop Shot work for Option 6? Sports And Games > Sports is a genre listed on the main page.

Thanks for your time"

Yes.

message 13: by Claire (last edited Feb 17, 2014 06:44AM) (new)

message 14: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3435 comments Does this work for the backstroke option?
Dead To Me (Scott & Bailey, #1) by Cath Staincliffe . There is a person walking away from the camera right behind the title words.

message 15: by Susan A (new)

Susan A Claire wrote: "Option 2 - It Had to Be You by Susan Elizabeth Phillips It Had to Be You (Chicago Stars, #1) by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Option 3 - Butterfly's Shadow by Lee Langley"

Looks good!

message 16: by Susan A (new)

Susan A Andy wrote: "Does this work for the backstroke option?
Dead To Me (Scott & Bailey, #1) by Cath Staincliffe. There is a person walking away from the camera right behind the title words."

Works!

message 17: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3435 comments Susan A wrote: "Andy wrote: "Does this work for the backstroke option?
Dead To Me (Scott & Bailey, #1) by Cath Staincliffe. There is a person walking away from the camera right behind the title words."

Works!"

Thanks!

message 18: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbaraallen) | 76 comments would this work for the backstroke option

Not My Daughter by Barbara Delinsky

message 19: by Susan A (new)

Susan A Barbara wrote: "would this work for the backstroke option

Not My Daughter by Barbara Delinsky"

yes!

message 20: by Helen (new)

Helen Southall (hsouthall) | 359 comments How about this for Backstroke. Two people walking down an alley in upper part of cover.

The Postcard Killers by James Patterson

message 21: by Susan A (new)

Susan A Helen wrote: "How about this for Backstroke. Two people walking down an alley in upper part of cover.

The Postcard Killers by James Patterson"

Yes that works.

message 22: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments Knights of the Hill Country - ok for sports?

message 24: by Susan A (new)

Susan A mstan wrote: "Knights of the Hill Country - ok for sports?"

genre noted

message 25: by Susan A (new)

Susan A Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Option 3 = The Iron Butterfly - Chanda Hahn

Option 5 = Impeding Justice - M.A. Comley"

good

message 26: by Susan A (last edited Feb 22, 2014 06:31AM) (new)

Susan A Just a quick reminder that I am approving for task fit only. Ebooks may need to be approved for length.

message 27: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) | 12 comments Susan A wrote: "Just a quick reminder that I am approving for task fit only. Ebooks may need to be approved for length."

Susan, both my books have paperback copies out :D

message 28: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 802 comments Opt 2 Breaststroke -
The Arrangement (The Survivors' Club #2) by Mary Balogh

message 29: by Susan A (new)

Susan A KSMary wrote: "Opt 2 Breaststroke -
The Arrangement (The Survivors' Club #2) by Mary Balogh"

That works. He certainly looks good, and I think I may add that book to my TBR.

message 30: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 802 comments Susan A wrote: "KSMary wrote: "Opt 2 Breaststroke -
The Arrangement (The Survivors' Club #2) by Mary Balogh"

That works. He certainly looks good, and I think I may add that book to my TBR."

LOL I just ran across him as I was browsing the new books at the library. :)

message 31: by Ann A (last edited Feb 26, 2014 07:58PM) (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 887 comments Pretty sure this is o.k. for backstroke, but wanted to confirm:

Secrets of Eden by Chris Bohjalian

Fun task!

message 32: by Susan A (new)

Susan A Ann A wrote: "Pretty sure this is o.k. for backstroke, but wanted to confirm:

Secrets of Eden by Chris Bohjalian

Fun task!"

Yes, that works.

THanks ;)

message 33: by Alison (new)

Alison | 186 comments Will Emerald Green by Kerstin Gier work for backstroke?

message 34: by Susan A (new)

Susan A Alison wrote: "Will Emerald Green by Kerstin Gier work for backstroke?"

Yes.

message 35: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 883 comments For backstroke Cutting for Stone  by Abraham Verghese ?

message 36: by Susan A (new)

Susan A Cindy wrote: "For backstroke Cutting for Stone  by Abraham Verghese?"

Yes

message 37: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3667 comments Approval please ....

Option 6 - "sports" genre on main page
A Season of Miracles: A Novel by Rusty Whitener

message 38: by Susan A (new)

Susan A Book Concierge wrote: "Approval please ....

Option 6 - "sports" genre on main page
A Season of Miracles: A Novel by Rusty Whitener"

Approved

message 39: by L. (new)

L. | 74 comments Would this be okay for breaststroke? Ildfuglen by Hedda H. Robertsen

Great task!

message 40: by Susan A (new)

Susan A Lene wrote: "Would this be okay for breaststroke? Ildfuglen by Hedda H. Robertsen

Great task!"

Yes it works.

THanks

message 41: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) | 12 comments Would Black Swan Rising (Black Swan Rising #1) by Lee Carroll be ok for Option 1?

message 42: by Susan A (new)

Susan A Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Would Black Swan Rising (Black Swan Rising #1) by Lee Carroll be ok for Option 1?"

Yes that works.

message 43: by ♞ Pat (new)

♞ Pat Gent | 654 comments Uganda Be Kidding Me by Chelsea Handler Uganda Be Kidding Me

Ok for breast stroke?

message 44: by Susan A (new)

Susan A Pat wrote: "Uganda Be Kidding Me by Chelsea HandlerUganda Be Kidding Me

Ok for breast stroke?"

Yes

message 45: by Kaora (new)

Kaora (ophelja) | 1144 comments Would this work for Option 1 Backstroke: Froi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles, #2) by Melina Marchetta

message 46: by Susan A (new)

Susan A Allison wrote: "Would this work for Option 1 Backstroke: Froi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles, #2) by Melina Marchetta"

Yes it works

message 47: by ♞ Pat (new)

♞ Pat Gent | 654 comments Could I use this one for the FLY option?

Flyboys A True Story of Courage by James Bradley Flyboys: A True Story of Courage

message 48: by Susan A (new)

Susan A Pat wrote: "Could I use this one for the FLY option?

Flyboys A True Story of Courage by James BradleyFlyboys: A True Story of Courage"

Will get back to you.

message 49: by Susan A (new)

Susan A Pat wrote: "Could I use this one for the FLY option?

Flyboys A True Story of Courage by James BradleyFlyboys: A True Story of Courage"

Yes, you can use this book.

It does require some tweaking of the directions, but it does match the spirit of the task. The correction will be made soon. If you post this for points before the changes are made, please reference this post.

message 50: by ♞ Pat (new)

♞ Pat Gent | 654 comments I won't be posting it soon. I just reserved a copy through my library, so it'll be a few days before I even get my hands on it.

My daddy was a fighter pilot, and we're burying him at Arlington National Cemetary next week, so I was hoping that you would approve it. It'll make me feel close to him...

Thanks!

Pat

« previous 1