Start by marking “We Were Liars” as Want to Read:
We Were Liars
Open Preview read excerpt* *Different edition

We Were Liars

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  99,813 ratings  ·  16,750 reviews
A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.

We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from National Book Award finalist and Printz Award honoree E. Lockhart
Published May 13th 2014 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about We Were Liars, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Blog Escribiendo el Libro de la Vida
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Kate Foley On the contrary, I found this book to be absolutely brilliant. :) Beautiful writing with an entrancing mystery. It'll hook you from the first line and…moreOn the contrary, I found this book to be absolutely brilliant. :) Beautiful writing with an entrancing mystery. It'll hook you from the first line and carry you through all the way to the end. It'll leave you a sobbing mess by the end, but I always love books that can do that to me.(less)
Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie PerkinsTo All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny HanWe Were Liars by E. LockhartSince You've Been Gone by Morgan MatsonThe Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith
2014 YA contemporary books I want to read
3rd out of 87 books — 794 voters
To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny HanIsla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie PerkinsWe Were Liars by E. LockhartSince You've Been Gone by Morgan MatsonWhat I Thought Was True by Huntley Fitzpatrick
2014 Contemporary YA
3rd out of 257 books — 1,367 voters

More lists with this book...

Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies)
Once upon a time there were three bears who lived in a wee house in the woods.
Once upon a time there were three billy goats who lived near a bridge.
Once upon a time there were three soldiers, tramping together down the roads after the war.
Once upon a time there were three little pigs.
Once upon a time there were three brothers.
No, this is it. This is the variation I want.
It was a better coming of age than Catcher in the Rye, but I also thought Twilight was a better coming-of-age than Catcher in
Blythe
sobbing. sobbing. sobbing. so much love for this book, and its perfect, perfect ending.

i can't even capitalize right now. i don't even want to capitalize right now.

in fetal position.

sob.

my souuuuul.
Lola
description

This is the kind of book that, when I finish reading it, I’m like FINALLY and then throw the book out of the window (in this case not applicable because of digital copy so I'm doing it through a gif.)

But really, what a weird story and an uncomfortable and pretentious atmosphere this We Were Liars book has. It wasn’t long, thank God, but damn it was painful to read. This is my 3rd negative review/read this week and I’m seriously pissed but will try to keep it cool.

I didn’t get
the purpose of thi
Ariel
This was, without a doubt, one of the most powerful and well-crafted books I have read in a really long time.

Elements that made this book outstanding:
1) It started with a map and a family tree. Talk about setting yourself up for success!
2) The personification of emotion. This might not make sense unless you've read the book, but wow it was powerful.
3) The use of fairy tales from the main character to describe situations.
4) The sense of complete mystery and suspicion: I was always questioning ev
karen
so, just like Little Bee, this book begs you "NOOO, DON'T TELL ITS SEEEEKRITS!!" and if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE.

so part of me is tempted to write this whole long review about how this book is a magical adventure focusing on a young girl in manhattan during the blackout of 2003, when all the red pandas living in the sewers came out to play, carrying tiny flashlights and shepherding people from manhattan to their homes in the outer boroughs and all the lessons this young girl learns
Emily May
It's true what they're saying: you're better off if I tell you nothing about this book.

So I will just say two things.

1) It is worth reading. Even though I only gave it 3 stars.

2) I gave it 3 stars because of the writing style, which irritated the hell out of me. The fact that it got 3 stars after annoying me so much will hopefully give you some indication of how much I liked the idea.

It's a very clever book and an incredibly sophisticated piece of YA. BUT... an execution that was not to my taste
Shelby *wants some flying monkeys*
It's been awhile since I have so totally hated a book.

I'm surprised at how varied the feelings on here about this book are...some of my friends hated it.

Some of them liked/loved it.

I still love them....

Let's get to why I hated this so very frigging much.

The main character is a twit...but then the whole family is:
Welcome to the beautiful Sinclair family.
No one is a criminal.
No one is an addict.
No one is a failure.
The Sinclairs are athletic, tall and handsome.

That's actually the good part on
Steph Sinclair
I went into We Were Liars one cocky son of a biscuit eater, feeling above it all right from page one. I'd seen this book talked about so heavily by other bloggers and how some never saw the twist coming or how otherstotally saw that twist coming. All the while, I was sitting on the sidelines with my shades on, posted up with my arms folded, saying, "Yeah, yeah, yeah. Hot potato." That's not to say I didn't want to read this book, because I did. I even had an ARC sitting on my shelf for the longe ...more
Leah
Underwhelming, one-dimensional, predictable, and plagued by an irritatingly tryhard pseudo-literary writing style. The author writes as if she's describing a Pinterest board. Here's a portrait of a 14-year-old boy: "He was contemplation and enthusiasm. Ambition and strong coffee." This is not character development. This is an idea collage. The sort of thing you'd find in a writer's notebook...which then would get actually developed in the narrative. But not here. Thumbnail sketches are as deep a ...more
Kristin (KC)
*5 Stars*

There’s not even a Scrabble word for how I’m feeling right now…

This story left me defeated, but its tragedy was paired equally with an unconventional beauty. It gripped me instantly to the point where I couldn’t stop thinking about its mystery…

Its intrigue.

Its quiet calamity.

The suspense is painted on rather thickly, which is not to say that readers will not form an accurate theory early on. But the journey remains worth it whether you’ve Sherlock Holmes’d this one or not.

The plot in
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Tragic, yet hauntingly beautiful story.
Kierra
I am
Lost
Amongst
My
Endless
Tears
Giselle
We Were Liars is an incredible, heartbreaking read that really messes with your mind until the very end. The writing, while not for everyone I'm sure, had me mesmerized. It's so different and poetic and full of carefully crafted imagery. It's a writing style that's really out of the box, you'll either love it or hate it. Me, I was thoroughly compelled.

The plot itself is one you can't talk about or read about as you're bound to find out spoilers. It's the kind of story where the story itself is
Christine Riccio
that wasn't what i was expecting! IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THIS YET, JUST JUMP INTO IT. It's better the less you know about it! I just posted my full booktalk! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5uex... =)
Emily Crowe
Eh. This was not the book for me, which I was disappointed to discover after two book-friends and an admired blogger all raved about this one. If I had expected less, I probably would have enjoyed it more, but as it stands, it ticked a few boxes for my various readerly pet peeves:

1) A first person narrator
2) An unreliable narrator (This is not a spoiler. Read the title. And the narrator has amnesia.)
3) The narrator has amnesia.
4) In the last 30 pages or so, the narrator/author make a big reveal
Ann
Not just one of the best YA books I've read this year, but one of the best books I read this year in any genre. E. Lockhart has written a novel that is both literary and commercial. It will grab readers of YA, of course, but is also the perfect book to hand to those naysayers who wonder why adults read YA. I can't say enough about this book -- I want to simultaneously hug it and keep it for myself and hand it to everyone I know.

Please go into this as "blind" as you can -- don't let anyone spoil
Mary Christensen
A really unfortunate novel by the author of the much better The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks. A completely unconvincing twist in the last twenty pages resolves the mystery in a way that is both improbably gruesome and also lightly dismissed by the author.

The real moral questions raised by the subject of the book, including racism, land ownership, inheritance, materialism, greed, and manipulation, are acted out in flat, white-hat/black-hat morality plays by stock characters of li
Kat O'Keeffe
WOW. Just... wow...
Susane Colasanti
Warning to everyone who reads We Were Liars: Be prepared to scrape your chin off the floor. With a forklift. Yes, it really is that amazing.
Maggie Stiefvater
I can tell this twisty thing will delight a lot of teens when it hits shelves.
Delee

3.5

We are Sinclairs. Beautiful. Privileged. Damaged. Liars. We live, in the summertime on a private island off the coast of Massachusetts. And perhaps that is all you need to know.

photo b0399530-315e-4979-9cd7-153dfdd49b88_zps2ca40be3.jpg

I am always looking for King Lear-ish story lines (I loved King Lear)- and for the most part- this fits the bill. I wish- WE WERE LIARS had focused more on the three mother's story lines...but then this wouldn't have been YA, I suppose. I also think it would have been better without a twist ending (Oh how many times mu
Sue (YAHollywood)
WARNING: This book is a liar and it will cause you to cry for the next three hours, it crushes souls and it severely destroy hearts. Proceed with caution.

I spent the whole time sobbing. trying to catch my breath. then sobbing again.

We Were Liars scarred me and Im broken way beyond repair.

And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE.

You can listen to my fanmix of We Were Liars on 8tracks.
Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner)
We Were Liars is one of the BEST books I’ve read in a LONG time. I’m not the type of person to proclaim every book to be amazing and the best and on and on because I try to reserve that for the books that REALLY mean a lot to me. I want you to believe me when I say THIS IS A BOOK YOU NEED TO READ. Everyone. I don’t care what you read. So please hear me when I say this: this book is beyond amazing, it blew me away and it is one of the BEST BOOKS I’ve read in a long time. This book deserves more t ...more
Dylan Williams
The more I think about this book the better it gets. It is complete genius.
Glass

Everyone needs to read We Were Liars. I usually end my reviews with "who should read this book" part, but I'll skip everything and tell you on the beginning that you do not want to miss this gem. My first E. Lockhart novel was unforgettable experience. I just hope that I won't be disappointed with her older books because I plan to read them all.

Four kids, complicated family and island. Did you read Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta? If your answer is yes, continue reading. If your answer is no,
Inge
DNF 33%

I can't count the number of times I've seen We Were Liars pass the revue over the summer. I thought this would be a short and entertaining read, but I think I have to assume that this book is just not for me.

I also don't think it's the book - it's me, and my dislike for the main character. I cannot connect to her at all, and, to be quite honest, I can't stand reading another sentence from her point of view. She is an absolute drama queen.

First of all, the will they won't they relationship
Regan
I don't know what to rate this my brain is still digesting.
Victoria Schwab
Good lord, this book.
Laz
Jan 29, 2015 Laz rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: contemporary maniacs
Just lie.

This book brings out the liar in me. Yes, I'm not even kidding. I want to lie about the entire book. If you ask me how it ended I'm not going to be honest, I'm just gonna lie to you and let you figure out its secrets on your own.

If you think this book is just about a rich girl and her family and her lover and her big, fancy private island then go ahead and think that cause I'm not going to stop you.

I, personally, was begging the book to not reveal its secrets to me. It did and I knew th
  • Gabi, a Girl in Pieces
  • Complicit
  • Noggin
  • Winger (Winger, #1)
  • Isla and the Happily Ever After (Anna and the French Kiss, #3)
  • Sex & Violence
  • Threatened
  • Reality Boy
  • The Beginning of Everything
  • The Vigilante Poets of Selwyn Academy
E. Lockhart is the author of We Were Liars, The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks, The Boyfriend List and several other novels.

website: www.emilylockhart.com
Liars site: www.wewereliars.com
blog: www.theboyfriendlist.com
Twitter: elockhart
More about E. Lockhart...
The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks The Boyfriend List: 15 Guys, 11 Shrink Appointments, 4 Ceramic Frogs and Me, Ruby Oliver (Ruby Oliver, #1) The Boy Book: A Study of Habits and Behaviors, Plus Techniques for Taming Them (Ruby Oliver, #2) The Treasure Map of Boys: Noel, Jackson, Finn, Hutch, Gideon—and me, Ruby Oliver  (Ruby Oliver, #3) Real Live Boyfriends: Yes. Boyfriends, Plural. If My Life Weren't Complicated, I Wouldn't Be Ruby Oliver (Ruby Oliver, #4)

“Be a little kinder than you have to.” 589 likes