Start by marking “We Were Liars” as Want to Read:
We Were Liars

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

We Were Liars

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  560,195 ratings  ·  58,579 reviews
Librarian Note: Older cover of B00FPOSDGY.

#A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.

We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from New York Times bestse
Published May 13th 2014 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about We Were Liars, please sign up.
K Actually, the truth is that there was supposed to be a section where it explained why they were called liars due to a few scenes occurring in this spe…moreActually, the truth is that there was supposed to be a section where it explained why they were called liars due to a few scenes occurring in this specific section of the book that never made it be published.

My sister and I had personally asked Lockhart in person at a festival a few months back and this is what she told us. There was a section that was taken off and never got to be published because it was "boring" and "slow". The publishers didn't want to slow down the book so they just cut it out. Result? A title that doesn't make sense and no longer portrays to the story the way the author intended.
It has *nothing* to do with the older women, the grandfather, or the Littles. It had to do with the 'Liars' (Gat, Johnny, Mirren, Cadence) and just never printed. Cady refers to her group as such, but Lockhart didn't explain any further since it was during a signing.

edit after newer version's release: SPOILER!

SPOILER

The kids were used by their mothers in an attempt in securing an inheritance.
Book analyzing can also include the lie of a perfect and normal life the Sinclairs lived. That beauty was a lie and Gat tried to call attention to it.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Dawn M
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  560,195 ratings  ·  58,579 reviews

Start your review of We Were Liars
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Once upon a time there were three bears who lived in a wee house in the woods.
Once upon a time there were three billy goats who lived near a bridge.
Once upon a time there were three soldiers, tramping together down the roads after the war.
Once upon a time there were three little pigs.
Once upon a time there were three brothers.
No, this is it. This is the variation I want.
It was a better coming of age than Catcher in the Rye, but I also thought Twilight was a better coming-of-age than Catcher
Ariel
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was, without a doubt, one of the most powerful and well-crafted books I have read in a really long time.

Elements that made this book outstanding:
1) It started with a map and a family tree. Talk about setting yourself up for success!
2) The personification of emotion. This might not make sense unless you've read the book, but wow it was powerful.
3) The use of fairy tales from the main character to describe situations.
4) The sense of complete mystery and suspicion: I was always questioning ev
Emily May
Nov 18, 2012 rated it liked it
It's true what they're saying: you're better off if I tell you nothing about this book.

So I will just say two things.

1) It is worth reading. Even though I only gave it 3 stars.

2) I gave it 3 stars because of the writing style, which irritated the hell out of me. The fact that it got 3 stars after annoying me so much will hopefully give you some indication of how much I liked the idea.

It's a very clever book and an incredibly sophisticated piece of YA. BUT... an execution that was not to my taste
B
sobbing. sobbing. sobbing. so much love for this book, and its perfect, perfect ending.

i can't even capitalize right now. i don't even want to capitalize right now.

in fetal position.

sob.

my souuuuul.
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Tragic, yet hauntingly beautiful story.
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
It's been awhile since I have so totally hated a book.

I'm surprised at how varied the feelings on here about this book are...some of my friends hated it.

Some of them liked/loved it.

I still love them....

Let's get to why I hated this so very frigging much.

The main character is a twit...but then the whole family is:
Welcome to the beautiful Sinclair family.
No one is a criminal.
No one is an addict.
No one is a failure.
The Sinclairs are athletic, tall and handsome.

That's actually
Steph Sinclair
Nov 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like mind fucks
Recommended to Steph by: B
I went into We Were Liars one cocky son of a biscuit eater, feeling above it all right from page one. I'd seen this book talked about so heavily by other bloggers and how some never saw the twist coming or how others totally saw that twist coming. All the while, I was sitting on the sidelines with my shades on, posted up with my arms folded, saying, "Yeah, yeah, yeah. Hot potato." That's not to say I didn't want to read this book, because I did. I even had an ARC sitting on my shelf for the long ...more
sunny
"Read it.

And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE."

This book was great,
you guys! I love the writing style.
It wasn't confusing at all!
It was totally not annoying! :)
I loved the characters.
They were so complex
and not bland at all.
They definitely didn't
want to make me want to shoot
myself in the head! :)
I knew what was going on and
I enjoyed this story a lot!
The ending was just beautiful.
Literally all I can ask for! :)

I LOVE THIS SM I AM CRYING! :) :) :) :) :) :)
Miranda Reads
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
Cadence and her family spend every summer on a private island, courtesy of her racist and classist grandfather.

All of her aunts constantly vie for the grandfather's attention and favor (in an attempt to keep ahold of the family fortune).

Cadence and her cousins consider themselves above such petty actions and spend most summers making trouble, being rich and taking advantage of the liquor bar.

Then, two summers ago, something terrible and tragic happens.

Everyone knows but Candace... and everyon
karen
Mar 01, 2014 rated it liked it
so, just like Little Bee, this book begs you "NOOO, DON'T TELL ITS SEEEEKRITS!!" and if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE.

so part of me is tempted to write this whole long review about how this book is a magical adventure focusing on a young girl in manhattan during the blackout of 2003, when all the red pandas living in the sewers came out to play, carrying tiny flashlights and shepherding people from manhattan to their homes in the outer boroughs and all the lessons this young girl learns
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”We were warm and shivering,
and young and ancient,
and alive."

When I began to read this book I went in completely blind and had absolutely no clue what it was about. The blurb on the back didn’t tell me anything about the plot and everything I knew was that “We Were Liars” had apparently won the YA Goodreads Choice Award in 2014.
So yeah, I just decided to read it and hoped it would be good and looking at it in retrospective this actually was the best decision I could have made! ;-P

Because let’s
Kristin (KC)
Jun 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Kristin (KC) by: Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤
*5 Stars*

There’s not even a Scrabble word for how I’m feeling right now…

This story left me defeated, but its tragedy was paired equally with an unconventional beauty. It gripped me instantly to the point where I couldn’t stop thinking about its mystery…

Its intrigue.

Its quiet calamity.

The suspense is painted on rather thickly, which is not to say that readers will not form an accurate theory early on. But the journey remains worth it whether you’ve Sherlock Holmes’d this one or not.

The plot in
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, contemporary
I don't cry a lot but boy this had me sobbing
I don't even know how to describe the feelings this story left me with. Just read it and you'll understand
mark monday
Nov 18, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teenworld
 photo I hate thinking_zpsgx4pgezq.jpg

well this was all kinds of pointless
and also depressing.
ugh!

the writing is so mannered
it is an affectation
a studied display of real or pretended feeling.
the whole book lacks affect;
it lacks the real emotion
that it so desperately tries to convey
in its own affect-less way.
the writer has talent
sure
but here it is squandered.

I like the premise, it's enticing;
who doesn't want to read about
the fragile cloistered lives
of insular rich white people
who summer on their own private island?
makes us no
Sofia
I don't know what to think about this book.

On one hand, I didn't enjoy the first 75% at all. It was boring and so privileged. The writing was bad and the characters were mediocre and spoiled. But the plot twist made it all worth it.

Should I rate this two stars or five stars? 3.5 it is.

There's a line in my notes that separates Fangirl Sofia from Annoyed Sofia. (My two personality traits.) Part of me wants to roast this book in a rant, but part of me wants to scream about how genius the plot twi
Kierra
Endless
Tears
jessica
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
lets play two truths and a lie. ready? i will go first.

- this book has an unreliable narrator and you cant trust anything she tells you.

- this story has such deep secrets, even its secrets have secrets.

- this novel has a twist that you wont see coming, but you will try to convince yourself that you did.

think you got it?

i can guarantee you dont.

because the best lies are those based on truth.

so read this book for yourself.

maybe then you will be able to spot the imposter.

and if anyone asks y
NReads
Dec 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
____________________________________________
“Be a little kinder than you have to.”

description

Okay so where to begin. I liked this book,you can see it by my rating, but I don't feel it ended right. I am not saying it was a bad ending, not at all, I enjoyed it, but there was no justice.

____________________________________________
“Do not accept an evil you can change.”

__________________________
Christine Riccio
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
that wasn't what i was expecting! IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THIS YET, JUST JUMP INTO IT. It's better the less you know about it! I just posted my full booktalk! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5uex... =) ...more
Jess the Shelf-Declared Bibliophile
Reread 2/13/21. Still amazing. Still crying.

OH MY GOD. Hands down, this is by far the most amazing book I've read so far this year, and possibly a good part of last year. I went into it knowing hardly anything about it, which is the way it should be. Now that I'm done, I literally want to pick it up and start it all over again.

I know alot of people dislike the disjointed writing, but it didn't bother me in the least. I flew through this book today despite being extremely busy at work, and I came
Candace
I went into 'We Were Liars' blind, for the most part. It had been sitting on my Audible shelf for so long that I had long-since forgotten what it was supposed to be about. Sometimes, I get it in my head that a book is going to be about something, when it absolutely has nothing to do with it. God only knows where I get these ideas, but I do. As a result, I often find myself being surprised by the content of the stories I read without re-reading the blurbs. This was one of those times. Note to oth ...more
FireLily
Dec 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
[This book’s song match - Glory and Gore by Lorde.]

I love this book. I really do. I didn't expect to, but then I just fell in love with it and now it's an obsession.

The writing is pretty controversial - it’s the style of writing that people either love or hate, no in between. This type of book isn’t for everyone.
It’s a very flowery, metaphorical, lots-of-paragraph-breaks style of prose that’s super dreamy and a little too dramatic.
Luckily for me, I fall into the category of people who love thi
chan ☆
um. no.

am glad to have read this though so i can unhaul it! ngl it's satisfying getting rid of stuff you've owned forever.
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
Apr 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
WARNING: This book is a liar and it will cause you to cry for the next three hours, it crushes souls and it severely destroy hearts. Proceed with caution.

I spent the whole time sobbing. trying to catch my breath. then sobbing again.

We Were Liars scarred me and Im broken way beyond repair.

And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE.

You can listen to my fanmix of We Were Liars on 8tracks.
Regan
May 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-owned-read
I don't know what to rate this my brain is still digesting. ...more
Mash
Lists this book is found in: Best Books I read in March 2021!

~ 5 stars ~

For a full, detailed review, check out my blog Mashlovesbooks!

“We are Sinclairs. Beautiful. Privileged. Damaged. Liar. We live, least in the summertime, on a private island off the coast of Massachusetts. Perhaps that is all you need to know.”

We Were Liars is a thriller, mystery novel by E. Lockhart. It is set on the picture perfect island and follows the picture perfect family of Sinclair’s. We specifically read fro
Mohammed Arabey
May 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First,I predict the ending after 25% of the novel

..and Yes,I was right..
It was a bit tedious after that, I mean I know everything..BUT..
By the final 25 pages I cried like a baby..
It's shameful crying, uncontrollable, unexpected
though the whole thing was
Expected.

Do you think I lie?..No..They Were..Not me..
لازم أكتب بلغتي ﻷني مشحون، غاضب وحزين

Victoria Schwab
Good lord, this book.
Mary Christensen
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
A really unfortunate novel by the author of the much better The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks. A completely unconvincing twist in the last twenty pages resolves the mystery in a way that is both improbably gruesome and also lightly dismissed by the author.

The real moral questions raised by the subject of the book, including racism, land ownership, inheritance, materialism, greed, and manipulation, are acted out in flat, white-hat/black-hat morality plays by stock characters of li
Charlotte May
“Tragedy is ugly and tangled, stupid and confusing.”

Everyone warned me about the twist in this book! I did well not to get spoiled, as it was definitely a shock horror moment.

A patriarch, his three daughters and their children summer every year on Beechwood Island, where each of the three daughters had a house for themselves and their children.
They are all rich, well off and ignorant. The three oldest grandchildren and their family friend are the closest. They refer to themselves as the ‘Lia
Burn Book : We Were Liars 3 15 12 hours, 11 min ago
Addicted to YA: We Were Liars 114 1277 May 13, 2021 08:20PM
What Do You Think? **SPOILERS!!** 120 5696 May 10, 2021 12:13PM
A Bookish Adventu...: We Were Liars (May 2021) 2 11 May 08, 2021 04:22PM
Clue as to the ending - 23 922 May 04, 2021 08:24PM
Play Book Tag: We Were Liars by E.Lockhart - 3 Stars 1 10 Apr 29, 2021 05:45AM

• They Both Die at the End
  • One of Us Is Lying (One of Us is Lying, #1)
  • All the Bright Places
  • Everything, Everything
  • The Selection (The Selection, #1)
  • The Song of Achilles
  • Looking for Alaska
  • Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1)
  • It Ends with Us
  • Paper Towns
  • The Perks of Being a Wallflower
  • One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
  • The Elite (The Selection, #2)
  • This Is Where It Ends
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • The One (The Selection, #3)
  • Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1)
  • Eleanor & Park
E. Lockhart is the author of Again Again, Genuine Fraud, We Were Liars, The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks, and several other novels.

website: www.emilylockhart.com
Instagram: elockhartbooks
Twitter: elockhart

Articles featuring this book

Girls who save the world, sweeping dystopias, contemporary love stories, and high fantasy are all staples of the current young adult book...
“Be a little kinder than you have to.” 1969 likes