Start by marking “We Were Liars” as Want to Read:
We Were Liars

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

We Were Liars

3.85  ·  Rating Details ·  260,436 Ratings  ·  33,605 Reviews
A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.

We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from New York Times bestselling author, National Book Award finalist,
Published May 13th 2014 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about We Were Liars, please sign up.

Kimmi Actually, the truth is that there was supposed to be section where it explained why they were called liars due to a few scenes occurring in this…moreActually, the truth is that there was supposed to be section where it explained why they were called liars due to a few scenes occurring in this specific section of the book that never made it to be published.

My sister and I had personally asked Lockhart in person at a festival a few months back and this is what she told us. There was a section that was taken off and never got to be published because it was "boring" and "slow". The publishers didn't want to slow down the book so they just cut it out. Result? A title that doesn't make sense and no longer portrays to the story the way the author intended.
It has *nothing* to do with the older women, the grandfather, or the Littles. It had to do with the 'Liars' (Gat, Johnny, Mirren, Cadence) and just never printed. Cady refers to her group as such, but Lockhart didn't explain any further since it was during a signing.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Ana Margarita Mercedes
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Khanh (the Grinch)
Once upon a time there were three bears who lived in a wee house in the woods.
Once upon a time there were three billy goats who lived near a bridge.
Once upon a time there were three soldiers, tramping together down the roads after the war.
Once upon a time there were three little pigs.
Once upon a time there were three brothers.
No, this is it. This is the variation I want.
It was a better coming of age than Catcher in the Rye, but I also thought Twilight was a better coming-of-age than Catcher in
Lola  Reviewer
description

This is the kind of book that, when I finish reading it, I’m like FINALLY and then throw the book out of the window (in this case not applicable because of digital copy so I'm doing it through a gif.)

But really, what a weird story and an uncomfortable and pretentious atmosphere this We Were Liars book has. It wasn’t long, thank God, but damn it was painful to read. This is my 3rd negative review/read this week and I’m seriously pissed but will try to keep it cool.

I didn’t get
the purpose of thi
Ariel
Jun 14, 2014 Ariel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was, without a doubt, one of the most powerful and well-crafted books I have read in a really long time.

Elements that made this book outstanding:
1) It started with a map and a family tree. Talk about setting yourself up for success!
2) The personification of emotion. This might not make sense unless you've read the book, but wow it was powerful.
3) The use of fairy tales from the main character to describe situations.
4) The sense of complete mystery and suspicion: I was always questioning ev
Wendy Darling
We were tedious.
Blythe
sobbing. sobbing. sobbing. so much love for this book, and its perfect, perfect ending.

i can't even capitalize right now. i don't even want to capitalize right now.

in fetal position.

sob.

my souuuuul.
Emily May
Dec 22, 2013 Emily May rated it liked it
It's true what they're saying: you're better off if I tell you nothing about this book.

So I will just say two things.

1) It is worth reading. Even though I only gave it 3 stars.

2) I gave it 3 stars because of the writing style, which irritated the hell out of me. The fact that it got 3 stars after annoying me so much will hopefully give you some indication of how much I liked the idea.

It's a very clever book and an incredibly sophisticated piece of YA. BUT... an execution that was not to my taste
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
It's been awhile since I have so totally hated a book.

I'm surprised at how varied the feelings on here about this book are...some of my friends hated it.

Some of them liked/loved it.

I still love them....

Let's get to why I hated this so very frigging much.

The main character is a twit...but then the whole family is:
Welcome to the beautiful Sinclair family.
No one is a criminal.
No one is an addict.
No one is a failure.
The Sinclairs are athletic, tall and handsome.

That's actually the good part o
Steph Sinclair
I went into We Were Liars one cocky son of a biscuit eater, feeling above it all right from page one. I'd seen this book talked about so heavily by other bloggers and how some never saw the twist coming or how otherstotally saw that twist coming. All the while, I was sitting on the sidelines with my shades on, posted up with my arms folded, saying, "Yeah, yeah, yeah. Hot potato." That's not to say I didn't want to read this book, because I did. I even had an ARC sitting on my shelf for the longe ...more
karen
Aug 02, 2016 karen rated it liked it
so, just like Little Bee, this book begs you "NOOO, DON'T TELL ITS SEEEEKRITS!!" and if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE.

so part of me is tempted to write this whole long review about how this book is a magical adventure focusing on a young girl in manhattan during the blackout of 2003, when all the red pandas living in the sewers came out to play, carrying tiny flashlights and shepherding people from manhattan to their homes in the outer boroughs and all the lessons this young girl learns
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Tragic, yet hauntingly beautiful story.
Kristin (KC)
Oct 11, 2014 Kristin (KC) rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Kristin (KC) by: Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ (of BADGER and Snake)
*5 Stars*

There’s not even a Scrabble word for how I’m feeling right now…

This story left me defeated, but its tragedy was paired equally with an unconventional beauty. It gripped me instantly to the point where I couldn’t stop thinking about its mystery…

Its intrigue.

Its quiet calamity.

The suspense is painted on rather thickly, which is not to say that readers will not form an accurate theory early on. But the journey remains worth it whether you’ve Sherlock Holmes’d this one or not.

The plot in
Endless
Tears
Christine Riccio
Jun 14, 2014 Christine Riccio rated it really liked it
that wasn't what i was expecting! IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THIS YET, JUST JUMP INTO IT. It's better the less you know about it! I just posted my full booktalk! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5uex... =)
mark monday
Jun 01, 2015 mark monday rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teenworld
 photo I hate thinking_zpsgx4pgezq.jpg

well this was all kinds of pointless
and also depressing.
ugh!

the writing is so mannered
it is an affectation
a studied display of real or pretended feeling.
the whole book lacks affect;
it lacks the real emotion
that it so desperately tries to convey
in its own affect-less way.
the writer has talent
sure
but here it is squandered.

I like the premise, it's enticing;
who doesn't want to read about
the fragile cloistered lives
of insular rich white people
who summer on their own private island?
makes us not-r
Kat O'Keeffe
Jun 05, 2014 Kat O'Keeffe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WOW. Just... wow...
Mohammed Arabey
Aug 10, 2016 Mohammed Arabey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First,I predict the ending after 25% of the novel

..and Yes,I was right..
It was a bit tedious after that, I mean I know everything..BUT..
By the final 25 pages I cried like a baby..
It's shameful crying, uncontrollable, unexpected
though the whole thing was
Expected.

Do you think I lie?..No..They Were..Not me..
لازم أكتب بلغتي ﻷني مشحون، غاضب وحزين
هذه الرواية ألمت قلبي، ولو أنها رواية عادية جدا

بل وتوقعتها من بعد ربعها اﻷول...لكني لم أتوقع هذا
هذا الألم

شعرت أنني فهمت الغموض وحللت اللغز
وأني شاهدت وقرأت قص
Giselle
Aug 11, 2016 Giselle rated it really liked it
We Were Liars is an incredible, heartbreaking read that really messes with your mind until the very end. The writing, while not for everyone I'm sure, had me mesmerized. It's so different and poetic and full of carefully crafted imagery. It's a writing style that's really out of the box, you'll either love it or hate it. Me, I was thoroughly compelled.

The plot itself is one you can't talk about or read about as you're bound to find out spoilers. It's the kind of story where the story itself is
Mary Christensen
Jan 04, 2014 Mary Christensen rated it it was ok
A really unfortunate novel by the author of the much better The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks. A completely unconvincing twist in the last twenty pages resolves the mystery in a way that is both improbably gruesome and also lightly dismissed by the author.

The real moral questions raised by the subject of the book, including racism, land ownership, inheritance, materialism, greed, and manipulation, are acted out in flat, white-hat/black-hat morality plays by stock characters of li
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
WARNING: This book is a liar and it will cause you to cry for the next three hours, it crushes souls and it severely destroy hearts. Proceed with caution.

I spent the whole time sobbing. trying to catch my breath. then sobbing again.

We Were Liars scarred me and Im broken way beyond repair.

And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE.

You can listen to my fanmix of We Were Liars on 8tracks.
Kassidy
I'm pretty disappointed in this one. To me, it was very predictable and underwhelming. However, I did really like atmosphere of the story, the characters, and the writing. Listening to it as an audiobook definitely enhanced the experience.
Etnik
Aug 09, 2016 Etnik rated it really liked it
____________________________________________
“Be a little kinder than you have to.”

description

Okay so where to begin.I liked this book,you can see it by my rating,but I don't feel it ended right.I am not saying it was a bad ending,not at all,I enjoyed it,but there was no justice.The next part of the review will contain spoilers because I want to discuss with you some part of this book.Okay so let's begin:

“Do not a
Emily Crowe
Dec 06, 2014 Emily Crowe rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Eh. This was not the book for me, which I was disappointed to discover after two book-friends and an admired blogger all raved about this one. If I had expected less, I probably would have enjoyed it more, but as it stands, it ticked a few boxes for my various readerly pet peeves:

1) A first person narrator
2) An unreliable narrator (This is not a spoiler. Read the title. And the narrator has amnesia.)
3) The narrator has amnesia.
4) In the last 30 pages or so, the narrator/author make a big reveal
Susane Colasanti
Apr 04, 2014 Susane Colasanti rated it it was amazing
Warning to everyone who reads We Were Liars: Be prepared to scrape your chin off the floor. With a forklift. Yes, it really is that amazing.
Maggie Stiefvater
I can tell this twisty thing will delight a lot of teens when it hits shelves.
Ann
Nov 08, 2013 Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not just one of the best YA books I've read this year, but one of the best books I read this year in any genre. E. Lockhart has written a novel that is both literary and commercial. It will grab readers of YA, of course, but is also the perfect book to hand to those naysayers who wonder why adults read YA. I can't say enough about this book -- I want to simultaneously hug it and keep it for myself and hand it to everyone I know.

Please go into this as "blind" as you can -- don't let anyone spoil
Regan
May 18, 2014 Regan rated it liked it
Shelves: books-owned-read
I don't know what to rate this my brain is still digesting.
Inge
DNF 33%

I can't count the number of times I've seen We Were Liars pass the revue over the summer. I thought this would be a short and entertaining read, but I think I have to assume that this book is just not for me.

I also don't think it's the book - it's me, and my dislike for the main character. I cannot connect to her at all, and, to be quite honest, I can't stand reading another sentence from her point of view. She is an absolute drama queen.

First of all, the will they won't they relationship
Delee

3.5

We are Sinclairs. Beautiful. Privileged. Damaged. Liars. We live, in the summertime on a private island off the coast of Massachusetts. And perhaps that is all you need to know.

photo b0399530-315e-4979-9cd7-153dfdd49b88_zps2ca40be3.jpg

I am always looking for King Lear-ish story lines (I loved King Lear)- and for the most part- this fits the bill. I wish- WE WERE LIARS had focused more on the three mother's story lines...but then this wouldn't have been YA, I suppose. I also think it would have been better without a twist ending (Oh how many times mu
Dylan Williams
Oct 04, 2014 Dylan Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The more I think about this book the better it gets. It is complete genius.
Victoria Schwab
Good lord, this book.
What's the meaning of the last paragraphs? 5 212 Jan 09, 2017 08:46PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: We Were Liars, by E. Lockhart - Restarting January 16th 2017 231 392 Jan 08, 2017 04:41AM
What Do You Think? **SPOILERS!!** 84 3081 Jan 06, 2017 02:15PM
Did anyone see the ending coming? (SPOILERS) 174 2860 Jan 06, 2017 05:41AM
The Literary Drag...: We Were Liars | Discussion 3 7 Jan 02, 2017 08:46PM
Bookworm Bitches : March 2015: We Were Liars 58 246 Nov 18, 2016 05:28PM
  • Sex & Violence
  • Reality Boy
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
  • When I Was the Greatest
  • Gabi, a Girl in Pieces
  • All the Truth That's in Me
  • Orbiting Jupiter
  • The Vigilante Poets of Selwyn Academy
  • The Riverman (The Riverman Trilogy, #1)
  • 100 Sideways Miles
  • Noggin
  • Just Call My Name (I'll Be There, #2)
  • My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece
E. Lockhart is the author of We Were Liars, The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks, The Boyfriend List and several other novels.

website: www.emilylockhart.com
Liars site: www.wewereliars.com
blog: www.theboyfriendlist.com
Twitter: elockhart
More about E. Lockhart...

“Be a little kinder than you have to.” 1454 likes