Parents of Tweens (9-14) discussion

Discussions > What Book Did You or Your Tween Just Finish?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane (new)

Diane | 129 comments Mod
My daughter and I just finished Olive's Ocean by Kevin Henkes.

I also finished an older book called Ludmila A Story Of Liechtenstein by Paul Gallico.

message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen Whiting | 6 comments I just received copies from Harper Collins/Zondervan of my upcoming release: Nature Girl: a guide to caring for God's creation
It will be available March 12.

If you have an active blog following and want a review copy let me know and I can pass your name on to the publisher.

message 3: by Diane (new)

Diane | 129 comments Mod
I recently finished reading the following:

The Lions of Little Rock (12-13 year old female protagonist. Racism, violence, racial slurs, references to drinking. Great historical content. Appropriate for age 10 or 11 and up).
Out of the Dust (14 year old female protagonist. Death and dying, poverty, despair, some violence, references to drinking, very bleak. Good historical content. Appropriate for 11 and up).
Divergent (16 year old female protagonist. Violence, kissing. Appropriate for ages 13 and up).

Due to subject matter, I think these would be appropriate for the older tween.

message 4: by Christine (new)

Christine Donnelly (cmd723) My 12 year old just finished

Freak the Mighty

Max the Mighty

She really loved them both!!!

message 5: by Diane (new)

Diane | 129 comments Mod
Christine wrote: "My 12 year old just finished

Freak the Mighty

Max the Mighty

She really loved them both!!!"

My son read Freak the Mighty a few months ago and loved it.

message 6: by Sherrie (new)

Sherrie Petersen (sherriepetersen) | 2 comments Diane wrote: "I recently finished reading the following:

[book:Divergent (16 year old female protagonist. Violence, kissing. Appropriate for ages 13 and up).

My 11yo is on book three of the Divergent series and she loves them, almost as much as the Harry Potter books. I read them a while back and enjoyed them, too.

message 7: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cpassage) | 9 comments Hello

My 12 yr old boy and his summer book club for boys all agreed their favorite of the summer was SYLO by DJ MacHale.

They also read Boxers & Saints, Okay for Now, Huckleberry Finn and The Giver...liked most of them but SYLO was the favorite.

message 8: by Panisoara (new)

Panisoara (OPanisoara) | 2 comments The seven medals of success presents the adventures of two children who win, one by one, the medals of courage, cooperation, curiosity, patience, creativity, perseverance and empathy. In their journey they are accompanied by Memo, the dwarf of their memory; he reminds them certain events in their life and they learn the rules of each psychological characteristic.
The book contains stories for children about developing personal success skills and it is based on psychological and pedagogical studies. Every chapter of the book has a Parent's Corner, with a short description of the psychological concepts and exercises for developing each personal trait. Also, every chapter includes a poem because psycho-pedagogical studies demonstrate children learn easier by combining the linguistic and the „musical” intelligence.
We, the authors are university researchers and professors: G. Panisoara has a Ph.D. in Psychology and I.O. Panisoara has a Ph.D. in Educational Sciences.
The patience poem (fragment from the ebook)
Do you know Trici – the caterpillar?
She cried: her beauty was no thriller
But time marched on, as it went by
She turned to a fine butterfly
Here is why:
You want time to pass by quicker,
“I want to play now,” you dicker,
You want to grow up much faster.
But patience is what you must master.
If you have patience you will learn
To calm yourself and wait your turn
Step by step you will succeed
Patience is the thing you need.
http://www.amazon.com/seven-medals-su...

message 9: by P_kuester (new)

P_kuester | 1 comments We just finished All Four StarsAll Four Stars. Even though its about a girl, my son liked it.

message 10: by Diane (new)

Diane | 129 comments Mod
I just finished Because of Mr. Terupt. It is an amazing book and I highly recommend it for any tween age (or adult for that matter).

message 11: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 2 comments Hi,
I'm new to the group and to Good Reads in general. My 10 1/2 year old son just finished the second of the 3 book Mr. Terupt series. He LOVES them. He slowed way down toward the end of "Mr. Terupt Falls Again" because he said he didn't want it to end. We can't wait to get the third and final book. He reads first, then I read it after and we talk about the books together. "Because of Mr. Terupt" is the first, "Mr. Terupt Falls Again" is the second, and "Saving Mr. Terupt" is the third.

message 12: by Diane (last edited Jul 07, 2016 06:42AM) (new)

Diane | 129 comments Mod
Lesley wrote: "Hi,
I'm new to the group and to Good Reads in general. My 10 1/2 year old son just finished the second of the 3 book Mr. Terupt series. He LOVES them. He slowed way down toward the end of "Mr. Ter..."

Welcome to the group, Lesley! I am glad to hear the second book is good as well.

message 13: by Megan (last edited Jul 07, 2016 02:12AM) (new)

Megan Apgar | 2 comments I just finished Finding Audrey. I really liked the book and it was a quick read. It brings up the topics of bullying as well as depression and anxiety, but there is a lot of humor included. I really couldn't put it down. Despite not being happy with some of the language at the end of the book, I recommended it to my thirteen year old. It is definitely a book for ages 12 and older.

message 14: by Diane (new)

Diane | 129 comments Mod
Just finished Crenshaw.

message 15: by Diane (new)

message 16: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Gipson (zipper34) | 2 comments I just finished The Land Without Color by Benjamin Ellefson

It was really a good kind of modern day Wizard of Oz Story, with a lot of little surprises. Boy would be captivated by this book, but there's plenty enough there that girls will enjoy it also. If you're open to something different, this is a must read.
The Land Without Color by Benjamin Ellefson

message 17: by Diane (new)

Diane | 129 comments Mod
Stella by Starlight by Sharon M. Draper Stella by Starlight. Highly recommended!

message 18: by Diane (new)

Diane | 129 comments Mod
Just finished Masterminds and The Thing About Jellyfish. Both are very good.

message 20: by Marcia (new)

Marcia (marciastrykowski) | 11 comments Diane wrote: "Stella by Starlight by Sharon M. Draper Stella by Starlight. Highly recommended!"

Good to know, I wondered about this one. On my list!

message 21: by Diane (new)

Diane | 129 comments Mod
Just finished The Year of Billy Miller. Subject matter too young for tweens but length and word count too much for target audience.

Also finished Sing Down the Moon. Good historical novel about an event in Native American history that many know little about.

message 23: by Diane (new)

Diane | 129 comments Mod
Honey by Sarah Weeks. Cute book for younger tweens.

message 24: by Diane (new)

Diane | 129 comments Mod
Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson. Memoir in verse. Highly recommended.

message 25: by Diane (new)

message 27: by Todd Williamson (last edited May 08, 2017 08:47PM) (new)

Todd Williamson | 1 comments Full of Beans by Jennifer Holm.

Awrsome historical fiction abt the depression in Key West.

message 28: by Stefania (last edited May 09, 2017 04:14PM) (new)

Stefania Shaffer (stefaniashaffer) | 6 comments The Watsons Go to Birmingham - 1963 by Christopher Paul Curtis As a middle school teacher, I have found my reluctant readers to enjoy Watsons go to Birmingham by Christopher Paul Curtis. This hysterical novel set in the 60s is a road trip to grandma's and a discovery into historical fiction.

Heroes Don't Always Wear Capes by Stefania Shaffer As an author of middle grade, parents equally enjoy reading over the shoulders of their tweens with this story of an underdog student seeking an inspiring teacher. The few she finds become her heroes for life, just when she needed one most. Heroes Don't Always Wear Capes.