What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

A Proper Education for Girls
This topic is about A Proper Education for Girls
SOLVED: Children's/YA > two sisters and an evil uncle? SOLVED [s]

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Allie (new)

Allie | 18 comments So I honestly don't remember much about the book other than there were two sisters who lived in this big mansion with their mother and I THINK an evil uncle. The uncle was obsessed with historical artifacts and stuff and there was something about a big tree in their conservatory. I DO remember it ended with the one sister giving up on a guy and flying away in some crazy contraption with her sister.

message 2: by Allie (new)

Allie | 18 comments Anyone?

message 3: by SparksofEmber (new)

SparksofEmber | 946 comments When did you read this? Was the book new or old? Do you remember what the cover looked like? Children's book, middle-grade, YA, Adult?

message 4: by Allie (new)

Allie | 18 comments Young adult probably? was maybe ~10 years ago or so

message 5: by Tab (last edited Feb 14, 2014 03:18PM) (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4999 comments Allie, what genre did this book fall under? Sci-fi, fantasy, something else?

What time period was the story set?

If scifi/fantasy, what other scifi/fantasy elements were in it? Witches, aliens, space travel, etc?

message 6: by Allie (new)

Allie | 18 comments I think it was more just young adult. It was approximately around the time of WWI or before.

message 7: by Allie (last edited Sep 03, 2014 01:58PM) (new)

Allie | 18 comments just upping this if anyone knows....

More info: The tree was some kind of orange tree or something and they had some way to move the tree from room to room. The uncle had a bunch of archaeologist friends who came to stay and one of them was a photographer who set up a tent somewhere.

Kathy | 56 comments This is Elaine di Rollo's A Proper Education for Girls.

message 9: by Allie (new)

Allie | 18 comments yes, I do believe that is it! woohoo! thanks so much, kathy!!!