The Haters Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
I hate my job

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by lionlady (new)

lionlady I started working at a new school this year. Eleven years of teaching in very diverse districts and this is the 1st time I can actually say I HATE this place. The kids are fine, but totally unmotivated and immune to external motivation. At best they're complacent w/ dilusions of adequacy. and naturally the administration wants to look good, so what do they do??? Get all the teachers to jump through hoops. Yeah, like that's gonna improve things.

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 19, 2008 01:14PM) (new)

I hate people who complain about teaching.

Come on! It's a lot of work and it pays crap--surprise!

message 3: by lionlady (new)

lionlady Is is a lot of work and it does pay crap, but usually those light bulbs going on over most of their heads makes it fun. Not in this place. No bulbs - or maybe no wires.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Maybe they're empty shells like modern philosophy's discussions on zombies: How do you know someone isn't conscious if they put up a good front?

message 5: by lionlady (new)

lionlady Good point. The seem awake and aware, but on any given test/assignment there's a 30-40% failure rate. That's school wide, not just my classes. I'm sure I shouldn't take it personally, but it does get discouraging.

Servius  Heiner what grade level do you teach?

message 7: by lionlady (new)

lionlady Currently I'm teaching high school. I've also taught Jr. High & High School in other districts in the past.

message 8: by Shelly (new)

Shelly i hate work in general.

i never understood why people say teachers get crappy pay when they don't work year round.

i also would like to know what grade

message 9: by Shelly (new)

Shelly oh, ok. which do you like better? jr high or high school?

message 10: by lionlady (new)

lionlady Actually, a while back there was a study done that showed teachers work the same no. of hours - just crammed into a 9 mo. period. Plus most of us do some prep in the summer. Nothing worse than starting off a new school w/o any new assignments.

message 11: by lionlady (new)

lionlady Both Jr. High & High school have their advantages. I like them both equally.

Servius  Heiner Do you think it is a motivation problem? What do you think the problem is? There has got to be a reason there is no drive. Drugs? Peer pressure? Apathy.

message 13: by lionlady (new)

lionlady Apathy, peer pressure and home life. Their parents seem to want them to succeed, but they define success as passing w/ a D- and hopefully graduating. These kids aren't any dummer that kids elsewhere, but they haven't been taught to think. They see nothing wrong w/ copying answeres from the book,internet, each other. One kid actually told my one of his past teacher wanted them to copy. I don't get it.

Servius  Heiner As Always I guess we will fall back on the nerds. We should have a holiday for them. We celebrate enought BS, that maybe it's time we celebrate nerds appreation day, for all they do for us. You know keeping the country going and all. Hell we can replace sweetest day with Nerd Day. I'd buy a card on nerd day.

message 15: by Jenn (last edited Feb 19, 2008 05:49PM) (new)

Jenn Nick you should be ashamed! Get out your white glue, scissors, and construction paper and MAKE a Nerd Day card! Jeesh!

I'm sure it's different everywhere, our school system where I live is messed up because of the political gesturing my the higher ups. It's all about appearances and having the biggest and best multi-million dollar school building. From what I see most of the teachers are willing to go the extra mile to make sure our kids are learning, but the administration's agenda isn't in line with that. Ironic eh? Learn in school? What a crazy idea!

P.S. I like my job.

message 16: by lionlady (new)

lionlady Jenn - what do you do?

Servius  Heiner That would be the most horrific card on the planet; I have the artistic quality of a rock. I think my nerd would be much more pleased with a nice mass produced card, with glitter, and a little scratch and sniff calculator. ( mmmm 3.289756385648 smells good)<<

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.