Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

Authors/Writers' Corner > An NYC editor is reading my novel

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimgm) | 1032 comments A few weeks ago, I found out that Maybe Baby, which I'd planned on self-publishing in March, is being read by an acquisitions editor at Kensington Books. I pitched it to her back in October when I was in New York, sent her the first 50 pages and then there was radio silence, even after I followed up. I assumed she wasn't interested and started moving forward with preparing it for publication.

Anyway, now she's got the entire manuscript and my agent is telling me to stay calm. Not easy. But my plan is still the same--if she says no, I'll publish Maybe Baby myself. She's supposed to let me know by the end of the month if she is going to take it. Fingers crossed. :)

message 2: by Mstcat (new)

Mstcat | 1261 comments That's great news Kim! I hope this works out for you!

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimgm) | 1032 comments Thanks! :) I thought she would be turned off by the infidelity storyline but she said that was a key factor in snaring her interest. :)

message 4: by Monica **can't read fast enough** (last edited Feb 11, 2014 06:40AM) (new)

Monica **can't read fast enough** (wwwgoodreadscomuser_monlat) | 895 comments Congrats Kim! I'm sure that things will work out well! I just read your excerpt that you have on Facebook and it's good!

message 5: by Echo (new)

Echo  (mrsbookmark) | 307 comments Great news! Exciting, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

message 6: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3396 comments Mod
Sounds exciting!

message 7: by Indigo.plume (new)

Indigo.plume | 105 comments Awesome news! I hope it works out :-)

Rachelle, Naughty Enabler (muze4u) | 11 comments Fantastic news, best of luck to you. :-)

message 9: by Venice (new)

Venice Kennedy (venicekennedy) | 70 comments How cool is this news! Wishing you the best!

message 10: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimgm) | 1032 comments Thanks! Will keep you all posted! :) I should have news by the end of the month. In the meantime, if you want to read the first chapter, you can find it here: https://www.facebook.com/notes/kim-go...

message 11: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Prough (deprough) | 37 comments Good luck, Kim! I hope you get it!

message 12: by Anita (new)

Anita | 30 comments Just read the first chapter. It was wonderful! Hope it works out for you. Good luck!

message 13: by Tamekia (new)

Tamekia | 87 comments Best of luck-!!! I'm excited for you:)

message 14: by Teshelle (new)

Teshelle Combs | 1 comments I sprinkle pub dust on you!! Good luck :)

message 15: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimgm) | 1032 comments Thanks! :) When my agent finished reading Maybe Baby, she said she thought it was funny how Scandinavians date--they don't. They meet someone, have sex, and then if they like the sex they date. I explained it to her a few months ago. You can read about it here on this funny blog post written by a Scandinavian. http://thyra10.wordpress.com/2013/08/...

message 16: by Connie (new)

Connie | 761 comments Good luck to you on your book Kim! :)

message 17: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimgm) | 1032 comments Hi chicas! Had an update from the editor. She loved Maybe Baby but the senior acquisitions editor she works with (who also said she liked the book) thought it would be too hard of a sell because of the infidelity angle (which the other editor really liked) and the story being set in Scandinavia (which the snr. acquisitions editor said wasn't as aspirational as London, Rome or Paris).

However, both of them liked another book idea I'd pitched to them in October and have asked to see the full manuscript of that book.

message 18: by Tamekia (new)

Tamekia | 87 comments That is great Kim!!! So excited for you- I hope all goes well with the second book!

message 19: by Anita (new)

Anita | 30 comments That's terrific! Good luck.

message 20: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Jackson (paperbackdiva) | 335 comments Great Kim. Keep on pushing. It won't happen overnite.

message 21: by Xio (new)

Xio Axelrod (xioaxelrod) Awesome! Can't wait to read both.

message 22: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimgm) | 1032 comments I spent most of today fixing some formatting issues with the print + ebook version of Maybe Baby. Should have it fixed by tomorrow. I'll keep you posted with launch date. :)

message 23: by Echo (new)

Echo  (mrsbookmark) | 307 comments To bad they took a pass, but great that they wanted to see more. I hope it goes well for you.

message 24: by Mstcat (new)

Mstcat | 1261 comments It's their loss on Maybe Baby. I'm glad to hear that you are going to self-pub it anyway. Your confidence is wonderful (rightfully so, you're a great writer!) Super awesome that they requested the manuscript for another book though! I'm sending you positive vibes and good luck wishes Kim!

message 25: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimgm) | 1032 comments Thanks, chicas. :) I thought I'd be upset about them saying no, but I am totally okay with it. I know Maybe Baby isn't going to be liked by everyone because of the infidelity issue, but it's a story about being with the wrong person and then finding the person who feels like home for you. It's about different types of love. But it's not a romance.