Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Let's Chat > Just Wondering-Do you like LOVE Triangles in Books?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Feb 10, 2014 11:35AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Yeah, I'm NOT a big love-triangle person. (Someone always gets hurt, right?) It is one of the reasons I don't read much of Joanne Fluke's Hannah Swensen mystery series. **sigh** The exception is probably Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series - but probably because I've been reading them a long time - plus, they are funny when I'm in the mood.

I recently read two cozies with a touch of romance and much preferred them (no triangles):
Lending a Paw A Bookmobile Cat Mystery by Laurie Cass and Murder Strikes a Pose (A Downward Dog Mystery) by Tracy Weber .

message 2: by D.G. (last edited Feb 10, 2014 11:59AM) (new)

D.G. I don't like love triangles. In reality, most men are too practical to pine for a woman who can't decide who she likes...they give it a try and if it's a no go, they just move on.

And most women are not so amazing that they will have multiple hot guys (because men in love triangles are always gorgeous) on a string for a long time. Yes, there are gorgeous women who have their picks of guys to date, but I don't see men waiting and waiting, specially when they have other choices.

message 3: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments LMBO! Excellent point, D.G. I never really thought of it, but you're right. They just move on.

message 4: by D.G. (new)

D.G. That's been my biggest beef with love triangles. Most men move on.

A few ones have worked for me, though.

message 5: by Gisela, Moderator (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Totally agree D.G.!

message 6: by Manvir (last edited Feb 16, 2014 03:05PM) (new)

Manvir (lucyheartfilia) | 217 comments I am also not a fan of love triangles. I feel like some authors use it as a crutch way too much. I just hate how they drag it on and on. Often one love interest leaves only to come back in later books and re-complicates things unnecessarily.

That being said I like books were the main character 'thinks' they like a certain type or specific person and end up with someone completely different. There is often a few moments of a 'love-triangle' going on but it gets resolved fast and doesn't drag on forever.

There are a few book that I've enjoyed with love triangles but not many.

message 7: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Yes, I like those types, too, Manvir. Ones where they have a change of heart over their 'type.'

message 8: by Ipshita (new)

Ipshita (miss_romanceaholic) | 397 comments I also don't like love triangles. If,however, one of the guy is shown to be better suited for the girl ,and they end up together in the end, then I might read it. But if both the guys are good, then I always end up pitying the rejected one too much to actually like the story.

Also, I don't like the heroine going on and on about which guy she should choose. And then running into the arms of the other guy whenever she and the hero fight.

message 9: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Yes, ugh to the last part.

message 10: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 752 comments I have dropped a couple of series because of the never ending love triangles: Hannah Swenson and Stephanie Plum for example.

I don't mind if it's for a book or two in a series but not more than that.

I liked the way Annette Blair handled the love triangle in her Vintage Magic series. I don't want to give away spoilers but it didn't drag on through book after book and judging by the most recent book, it's not going to be brought back.

A Veiled Deception (A Vintage Magic Mystery, #1) by Annette Blair

message 11: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Jenny wrote: "...so then I feel like I was reading all that time and got no pay-off."

LOL! (Here I go again, laughing at your pain.)

message 12: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Yes, Mary: HD♥S, I took a break of several years before I pick Stephanie Plum up again, for that very reason. I did read a couple a few years ago... but haven't for quite a while. I really have to be in the mood.

Good to know about Vintage Magic, as I just started that series - only the first book, but I loved it.

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) I don't mind the occasional love triangle. I agree that they fit better in Young Adult novels, but sometimes Romances aren't as black-and-white as we think. In the book I am reading now (Susannah's Garden), the main character is happily married, but has been having dreams and lots of thoughts about her ex. When she goes to help her mother move into assisted living, she searches for that ex before realizing that she's better off without him, and truly appreciating her husband. I think the aspect of a triangle in this context helps with the character development.

message 14: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Sep 05, 2015 09:38PM) (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments The book sounds interesting! I've never read a Debbie Macomber before.