Jump to ratings and reviews
With the help of her rescue cat, Eddie, librarian Minnie Hamilton is driving a bookmobile based in the resort town of Chilson, Michigan. But she’d better keep both hands on the wheel, because it’s going to be a bumpy ride…

Eddie followed Minnie home one day, and now she can’t seem to shake the furry little shadow. But despite her efforts to contain her new pal, the tabby sneaks out and trails her all the way to the bookmobile on its maiden voyage. Before she knows it, her slinky stowaway becomes her cat co-pilot!

Minnie and Eddie’s first day visiting readers around the county seems to pass without trouble—until Eddie darts outside at the last stop and leads her to the body of a local man who’s reached his final chapter.

Initially, Minnie is ready to let the police handle this case, but Eddie seems to smell a rat. Together, they’ll work to find the killer—because a good librarian always knows when justice is overdue.

FIRST IN A NEW SERIES!

344 pages, Mass Market Paperback

First published December 3, 2013

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Laurie Cass

12 books467 followers
Laurie Cass is the national bestselling author of the Bookmobile Cat Mysteries, including Wrong Side of the Paw, Cat With a Clue, and Pouncing on Murder. She lives on a lake in northern Michigan with her husband and two cats.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
180 (4%)
1 star
51 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 635 reviews
Profile Image for Brenda.
4,224 reviews2,728 followers
September 16, 2022
Eddie, the bookmobile cat. Chilson, Michigan librarian Minnie Hamilton had managed to persuade her boss Stephen to include a bookmobile in their budget, to cater to the communities well out of town. When Stan Larabee, wealthy recluse, heard, he donated the money so the bookmobile could happen. And Eddie, well, he claimed Minnie as his own, and snuck onto the bookmobile, determined to stay by Minnie's side. When they arrived at one of the stopping points and Eddie took off, Minnie followed. Eddie led her to a body in a nearby, run down cottage.

The detectives didn't seem to be doing much about the case so Minnie decided to discover who the killer was. And of course, that led her into danger. Would she live to fight another day? Would Eddie come to her rescue?

Lending a Paw is the 1st in the Bookmobile Cat Mystery series by Laurie Cass and it was lots of fun! Eddie is an intelligent, furry, loveable menace, and Minnie couldn't imagine life without him. I'm looking forward to more adventures with Eddie and Minnie. Recommended.
Profile Image for Meg.
600 reviews
March 14, 2018
A quick, easy, enjoyable read. The detectives were a tad condescending for my taste, and the mc's solo outing wasn't the smartest, otherwise I felt that this was a good one. Strong mc with a great best friend plus the wonderful Eddie, adopted stray cat.
Profile Image for Andrea.
730 reviews28 followers
February 28, 2016
A light read. Involved a librarian and a bookmobile, so kind of in my wheelhouse. But.

Was this really a mystery? Someone was killed early on, but there was not a lot of sleuthing. The plot moved at a pretty slow pace. Mostly the main character just walks around town and works, worries, and talks to her cat like he's a real person. It is not entertaining to hear other people's conversations with their cat. Or, every time, to hear them rationalize talking to their cat.

Basically, this felt as repetitious as my own life, and I like my fiction to be more edited and streamlined than that.
Profile Image for Michelle Stagg.
66 reviews20 followers
April 11, 2021
I absolutely loved this book. I'm hoping to read more books in the series.
Profile Image for ☣Lynn☣.
747 reviews203 followers
April 26, 2015
I need to read more cozy mysteries. I forgot how much fun they are! This one was especially cute because of Eddie, Minnie's cat. I loved their relationship and I loved that Minnie drove a bookmobile. If I had lots of $$ to spare I'd purchase one and drive it all around. :)

I don't know when I'll get to the rest of the books though. Probably when there's more than 5 books published in the series.

If you love mysteries where you aren't sure who dun it by the end, cats, and books this is the book for you.

Profile Image for Kim.
340 reviews55 followers
July 29, 2016
I enjoyed this first-in-series read. I liked Minnie, her personality, her snarky sense of humor with people and, her cat. Of course.

I can't wrap my brain around having three thousand books in a 31-foot vehicle (bookmobile). But, I'll go along with it. What do I know? ;)

Profile Image for LORI CASWELL.
2,478 reviews275 followers
January 16, 2016
Eddie, a fabulous furry feline, has absolutely stolen my heart and tugged Minnie right in there too! He isn’t magical and doesn’t have any special powers. He just has a delightful “MWR”, snores to beat the band and is just so sneaky. Plus his person, Minnie, talks to him just like all of us pet lovers do. They do understand us you know!! Bookstores have cats so why shouldn’t bookmobiles? What a “purrfect” setting!

Laurie Cass has not only introduced us to the life of a bookmobile librarian but crafted a very interesting whodunit. It is really hard to do this in the first book of a series because there is so much foundation that needs to laid out for the reader to become invested in the characters. She has done this wonderfully.

The victim himself was a very interesting character. Minnie saw one side of the man while others saw a completely different side which leads to plenty of suspects. Minnie lives part of the year on a houseboat which sounds like a lot of fun. During the winter she lives with her aunt in her huge house. When tourists season starts Aunt Frances rents out rooms. This also brings some colorful characters to the story. Her boss at the library is another character I want to see evolve.

This is a great debut for this series. I am already looking forward to snuggling up and getting cozy with Eddie… oh and Minnie too!
Profile Image for Juli.
1,899 reviews492 followers
July 30, 2023
Lending a Paw
Author: Laurie Cass
Publisher: Penguin/Random House
344 pages
Cozy Mystery

Yes, another cat cozy mystery! I'm seriously addicted! This time, I was pulled in by the mix of books and a cat. What's not to love?

Minerva Hamilton, known as Minnie, is a librarian in Chilson, Michigan. She lives on a houseboat with her rescue cat, Eddie. Minnie is excited about driving the library's new Bookmobile, but on the first day, she finds the body of a local businessman and philanthropist behind a rural farmhouse. In fact, the dead man gave the library the funds to purchase the Bookmobile. Minnie Eddie are on the case! Who killed the library's main benefactor? And, will they decide to take out Minnie too because she's asking questions?

I enjoyed this book! The main character is likeable, and the story wasn't the same old formula where the girl is smitten with a local cop investigating the murder. In fact, Minnie spent more time annoyed at the local police.

The one problem I had was this: Eddie went with Minnie inside the Bookmobile every Saturday. The author mentioned a list of items she took on the bookmobile for Eddie: food, water, blankets, toys....but never was it mentioned that Minnie brought a LITTERBOX. Now, Eddie can't have gone along on Bookmobile days and never had to relieve himself. The main character kept saying how concerned she was that her boss would find out that Eddie had been on the Bookmobile truck.....and she described bringing his supplies and cleaning up the cat hair afterwards. But where was Eddie going potty on these all day trips?? As a cat owner and booklover, the fact that she never mentioned stowing a cat box inside a cupboard or something when everything other cat supply brought for Eddie was outlined in detail.....well, it bugged me a bit. Either Eddie was wee-weeing in a corner somewhere.....or a little detail was left out. :) Not a huge glaring error.....but it did pull me out of the story several times when I had to wonder why the author listed all this Eddie gear, but never mentioned having to bring along cat litter, or a cat box, or having to clean up spilled litter etc after Bookmobile days. If she hadn't gone into detail about vacuuming up cat hair, or the other Eddie-related stuff she had to bring on the truck, I wouldn't have noticed the lack of kitty commode.

But, the question of Eddie's bathroom habits didn't ruin the story for me. This was a great, easy cozy read. I love reading these kitschy cozy mysteries in the wintertime when it's too cold to be outdoors most of the time. Quick, light reads. :)

My rating: 7/10
Ages 10+
Profile Image for FangirlNation.
684 reviews133 followers
April 6, 2018
Minnie Hamilton, assistant director of the library at Chilson, Michigan, has spent much time and effort in getting a bookmobile for her library and finally succeeds after getting a donation by the 70-something, uber-rich Stan Laraby in Lending a Paw by Laurie Cass. On her first day taking the bookmobile out, Minnie’s rescue cat, Eddie, stows away with her and sneaks onto the vehicle, to the delight of the children who come to check out some books. But at Minnie’s last stop, Eddie runs out of the bookmobile, and when Minnie chases him, she finds him by an old, derelict house, sitting next to the murdered body of Stan Laraby.

Read the rest of this review and other fun, geeky articles at Fangirl Nation
Profile Image for Lauren Sibley.
44 reviews12 followers
April 26, 2023
The best bit was when the cat saved the day
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Narilka.
602 reviews40 followers
August 14, 2022
Lending a Paw is the first in the Bookmobile Cat Mystery series by Laurie Cass. Set in a small Michigan town, local librarian Minnie Hamilton and her cat Eddie solve a mystery when they discover a dead body while out on their bookmobile route.

This is a nice first installment in a typical cozy mystery series. Minnie is quite likeable, as are her friends in town, though I wasn't a fan of the detectives who pick up the case as they seemed rather condescending. Eddie the cat is adorable! Minnie needed to pay attention to him more as he helped solve the crime but I don't think she quite figured that out yet.

I listened to the audio book narrated by Erin Bennett. She does a good job of bringing the characters to life. I especially enjoyed the extra nuance she gave to Eddie's "mrrrs" and "mrrows" to make it sound like he's responding to Minnie's questions.
Profile Image for Sonia189.
952 reviews26 followers
January 13, 2022
3.5
This cozy mystery was cute and did remind me of quiet moments under the blankets while reading (I literally did this!). However, execution wise, the author could have certainly improved the plot and developed the characters a little more.
Profile Image for Tari.
2,411 reviews72 followers
April 8, 2019
I'm so glad I finally started this series that I've heard so much about. I've fallen head over heels for Eddie the bookmobile cat. He definitely has a way with people, and his intuition came in handy a few times for his human, Minnie Hamilton. Minnie is an awesome and interesting character. She lives on a houseboat and drives a bookmobile three days a week. Eddie stowed away the first time, and the people at the book stops loved him so much, Minnie couldn't disappoint them by leaving him behind the next time.

When the murder of the library's most generous donor rocked the community, Minnie felt she needed to bring closure to this, because even though Stan was known in the town as a miser, he was always nice and generous to the library and had purchased the bookmobile for them. There were plenty of suspects, and I had no idea who was the killer until the clues started falling into place, and Minnie had a good idea of who it was too. There wasn't really a showdown, just an escape from an old musty barn, but Minnie lived to tell the story and was thanked for her tip she'd given the police. Even though Stan's money that he wanted to leave to the library would be tied up indefinitely, a couple of new donors came through. I would never have thought either of these people would donate from how they were at first. It'll be interesting to know what kind of adventure Minnie and Eddie get into next--and if her boss ever finds out about Eddie!
3,025 reviews1,732 followers
December 8, 2019
Squeal! I'm addlepated, twitterpated and cat-e-pated over Eddie, a charming feline that transforms this cozy into the realm of the sublime. The exchanges between Minnie and Eddie are full of wry humour and catisms. Seriously, this author speaks 'cat'. She has all the behaviours down pat -- from the tail swishing to the disdainful glare to the "I'll purr you into submission, hooman!" These cozies are going to turn me into a cat lady yet! :-)

I'm enamoured over the bookmobile angle -- especially since it has a resident cat! Lots of scope for the imagination when it comes to Minnie and Eddie meeting up with quirky and nefarious secondary characters. Including a pair of detectives who aren't keen on Minnie's amateur sleuthing. Plus, Minnie lives on a houseboat! And the whole librarian gig has me in a bibliophile swoon!

A solid mystery with plenty of suspects kept me guessing right to the end. There's even the sweet stirrings of a romance on the horizon. A cozy doesn't get much better than this!

I listened to the audible edition and Erin Bennett delivers a captivating performance -- she gets Eddie's lines just right. :-) In fact I am so over-the-moon in love with this series that I immediately downloaded the second book and am about to move onto the third. I think I'll be speed listening to the rest of the series...and grinning the whole way through.
July 21, 2016
Since I've been reading a lot of cozy mysteries lately, especially the book themed kind like Raven's Murder, A Killer Read, The Vanishing Thief, that come to mind. I wonder what the heroine will be like? Will they be a little different or similar to the rest? With the Bookmobile lady, Minerva "Minnie" Hamilton, she's different. And I'm happy about that.

I liked her determination in getting the whole Bookmobile started. She kept at it even though her boss thought otherwise. That is she finds a new friend and new addition to the Bookmobile, in a stray cat she names Eddie. And from there, Minnie finds herself in some interesting situations. In a murder sort of way. Anyway, this was fun. Sad at times but fun as Minnie investigates.

What I liked not only the MC but that she actually tells the cops what she's learned so far. With other MC's they either wait till the end of the book or something.

Then there's her BFF Kristen who owns a restaurant the Three Seasons. Love their friendship. Along with Minnie's friends.

So basically, this was a good start, with an adorable cover and moments with Eddie and Minnie. Looking forward to where Minnie will go next on her Bookmobile adventures.
Profile Image for R.B..
197 reviews19 followers
May 18, 2018
This book has been in my to-read list longer than I can remember, and the reason I picked it up now was that I had an uninteresting read and wanted a change before continuing it. It was a coincidence, I could have picked another book, but when I started I couldn't put it down.

Minnie the librarian and her cat Eddie, a very average cat (for the most part) but so well described, are lovely and funny characters. The rest of the cast was a little harder to get into, and the author also took longer to describe them, but they were still relevant and of course the protagonist gets more space.

The mystery part wasn't so bad, I just thought the clues were a bit weak.
Profile Image for Mom2triplets04.
668 reviews24 followers
March 29, 2018
Listened to this book on audio. My favorite character was Eddie. He is the cat in the story. The main character is a woman who rides around in a book mobile and she is constantly talking to Eddie. Eddie purrs and meows throughout the audio. One day they stumble across a dead body. So they are trying to find out who was involved in the murder. It was an enjoyable audio book. Hope my library has the next book to this story.
Profile Image for Christine (KizzieReads).
1,376 reviews93 followers
June 21, 2018
I thought it was really good. I loved Eddie the cat. Eddie followed Minnie home one day and stayed. He is very pushy when it comes to what he wants. Very vocal as well. Minnie starts a bookmobile service from her library to the outlying counties in Michigan. Her boss doesn't like it, but can't do anything as the library got a huge donation in order to get it started. On the maiden voyage of the bookmobile, Eddie decides to be a stowaway and on their last stop, gets out of the bookmobile and takes off. He runs to an abandoned farmhouse, Minnie chases him and stumbles upon the benefactor of the donation dead with a gunshot would to his heart. Now, she needs to find out what happened to him, and why everyone hates him.

It was great to see some book references as well as locale references. Even though Minnie's town is fictional, the area is not and living close by, I recognized and been to a few of those places. I can't wait to dig into the rest of this series. What's not to like about cats and books?? :D
Profile Image for Erica Chaillot.
562 reviews11 followers
June 20, 2021
What a fun series!! This was my first Laurie Cass book and I sincerely enjoyed the series. It was soooo much fun and I loved the characters. I will continue reading this series
Profile Image for Ronna.
515 reviews57 followers
July 4, 2014
I read lots of cozy mysteries because they are one of my very favorite genres. So first of all I want to say--best use of a pet (cat) as a character ever!!!! Eddie was a stray cat who attached himself to librarian, Minnie Hamilton. Minnie did not choose him, he literally refused to go away, but Eddie soon won Minnie's heart with his very communicative "Mrr". The communication and relationship between these two is very realistic which any cat lover will see immediately when they read this book.

Minnie has convinced her reluctant supervisor that their small tourist town of Chilson, Michigan needs a bookmobile for places where libraries have had to close down. Fortunately, a rich benefactor donated a huge check to cover all the costs for this project. On it's maiden voyage, Eddie snuck aboard and then ran off at a neglected farmhouse just to discover a dead body. Now Minnie finds herself deep--too deep--into a murder investigation.

Eddie is definitely the leading character in this mystery. All his cat like characteristics come into play, including some small and some elderly patrons' demands for his attention. Minnie talks to Eddie while thinking through her questions and plans, and Eddie very meaningfully "mrrrrs" back, helping her through her thoughts. A terrific human and animal relationship that added so much to this mystery, while driving for solutions to an interesting mystery. Definitely a winner for me and I'm anxious to read the next in this, hopefully, long running series!!
Profile Image for Cheryl Landmark.
Author 6 books108 followers
March 9, 2015
This was a fun, light-hearted cozy mystery, which had the added bonus of an animal character that had a lot of face-time in the story. While I much prefer the engaging, loveable charm of dogs instead of the aloof, if-I-feel-like-it-I'll-let-you-pet-me nature of cats, Eddie the bookmobile cat was a very sweet, enchanting feline who captured my heart as much as he did Minnie's.

The idea of the bookmobile was great and Minnie met a lot of interesting people while operating it. I really liked the other characters that Minnie interacted with as well (well, maybe not Stephen so much--he was such an annoying, stuffed shirt, negative kind of guy!). Kristen, Minnie's best friend and restaurateur, was a particularly likeable woman, and I enjoyed the banter and camaraderie between her and Minnie.

Some reviewers found Minnie's constant conversations with Eddie to be annoying, but my response was the exact opposite. I thought they were what made the book so much fun and entertaining. And, since I do the same with my dog, I didn't find it strange at all! :)

While Minnie seemed like a pretty intelligent, sensible person most of the time, there was a point in the book where she did make a rather dumb decision that, of course, put her life in danger. And, the conclusion of the mystery was a little unsatisfactory because there hadn't been a lot of lead-up to the eventual reveal of the culprit and his or her motive.

All in all, though, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and will definitely continue on with Minnie's and Eddie's adventures on the bookmobile.
Profile Image for Randee.
849 reviews32 followers
August 27, 2016
I am on a feline, mystery, cozy kick. This is the fourth series I've tried. Unlike the previous three (Sofie Kelly's 'Magical Cats Mysteries,' 'Sofie Ryan's Second Chance Cat Mysteries' and Janet Cantrell's 'Fat Cat Mysteries') no part of this series is told from the cat's viewpoint. The cat in this series, Eddie, is the companion to a librarian in Michigan, a librarian who takes a Bookmobile out several times a week to allow people in outer counties to have library service. She and Eddie live on a houseboat and she talks to him constantly which allows the reader to know what is on her mind. I still think that Sofie Kelly/Ryan (they are the same person that writes the two different series) is the one to beat so far in my reading on this type of cozy. That said, I liked this very much and will continue reading the series. Cats and books are an awesome combination and I suspect the book would have to be written in crayon for me to truly dislike it.
Profile Image for Erin L.
988 reviews40 followers
February 11, 2018
I listened to this on audiobook.

Great first book in a cozy series. Eddie made me miss my own cats, and I loved him as a pet character.

Minnie is a great main character, and I love the bookmobile concept - something that seems to have disappeared, at least in my area. As Minnie tries to continually justify the existence of the bookmobile, Eddie is digging up trouble and winning over all of the library patrons as he stows away on the bookmobile's maiden voyage. After which, Minnie can't leave him off the bookmobile, but if her boss finds out, he may just use that as a reason to cancel the program.

Then she finds the major donor to the bookmobile project dead and suddenly she has a murder to investigate and the mayhem begins. Eddie participates in solving the mystery more than I expected and it was a delight.
Profile Image for Shelley Giusti.
288 reviews117 followers
December 14, 2013
This was such a great read! Eddie is adorable and Minnie you will love instantly
Profile Image for Maiju.
124 reviews19 followers
January 5, 2022
omg this book took forever. Even when something was happening, it always took a long time to happen. And there were so many red herrings and no real foreshadowing for the real culprit.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 635 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.