Uglies (Uglies, #1) Uglies discussion

Should I read?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't read a book in a couple month (I know it's ridiculous) and I really want to get back to reading.

A dystopian sounds really good, and I've always wanted to read The Uglies Series but I don't know if I should?

Your opinions on the book would be great, thank you!

No spoilers please! (:

Dash of  Sunshine I loved the series. The technology is absurd sometimes, but I always wondered what life would be like if everyone were pretty.
It's where it makes you think: is our world creepily reflection the views in this book?

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 10, 2014 10:45AM) (new)

Powla wrote: "I loved the series. The technology is absurd sometimes, but I always wondered what life would be like if everyone were pretty.
It's where it makes you think: is our world creepily reflection the vi..."

Hmm, thank you for your response! Kind of makes me want to go buy it now haha

Rachel Emrick YES! It is a great series- just beware that you will probably want to read the rest of the series immediately :)

Kristen The first book was alright....More 'blah' in my opinion.

Honestly, I found the entire series to be stupid. And I don't usually criticize books so harshly. Usually I can find something good to say about it, and I'm very strongly of the opinion that an author can do as they please with their story and characters. But in this case, I really would call this one a big waste of time.

There's alot of inane language in this world. Westerfeld replaced words like 'cool' with 'bubbly'. And I'm sorry, but I do not find it in any way believable to be the norm for teenage guys to describe things as 'bubbly'.
The rest of the descriptive words in the book (names of towns and age groups) are just as dippy.

The plot had alot of potential, but it was just done so poorly, IMO, I actually wish I hadn't bothered.
The second and third books are basically a rehash of the plot of the first book, almost exactly.

I tend to block out unpleasant things, so I don't really remember the details of all the other problems with the books. I know there were TONS of plot holes though.

No matter what your opinion, I've learned that it's best to be hesitant in buying books until you know you will like it. I've wasted alot of money on books that turned out to be not so great...

Bridget I loved the Uglies series. The 4th book is a little disappointing, but still decent. The other 3 are really fun reads. Lots of adventure and survival, so if you're into that sort of thing, go for it! It's a series that I've re-read a couple of times. There's some silly stuff here and there and some frustrating choices that characters make in fits of stupidity, but that's going to be present in most books. They're not perfect, but I love them anyway.

Leahxx I hated these books haha not my cup of tea at all, but everyone will tell you something different, so I say go ahead and read it for yourself ;) because who knows, you might love them!

Jasmine OR you can read Hunger Games, which is just as good as this series, if not better.

Leahxx Jasmine wrote: "OR you can read Hunger Games, which is just as good as this series, if not better."

Oh, THG is so much better haha

message 10: by Gerd (last edited Feb 12, 2014 03:23AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gerd Uglies has an interesting premise, and a promising first chapter, but Westerfeld doesn't really do much with it. So if you hope for something meaningful you're in for a dissapointment - read as a light adventure story it's not that shabby.

Michael yes, you should read! Uglies came girls, let's NOT forget that. The series is becoming popular again and everyone is trying to say Scott copied The Hunger Games. Firstly, THG is filed with unnecessary violence and doesn't really teach anything. This story teaches us about personal image and how it only matters what's on the inside. This series came 3 years before THG. I wish people would stop comparing them.

Michael Bridget wrote: "I loved the Uglies series. The 4th book is a little disappointing, but still decent. The other 3 are really fun reads. Lots of adventure and survival, so if you're into that sort of thing, go for i..."

book 4 is a companion novel so really you could just opt out.

Janine Caldwell If you like dystopian, then YES! It's very original and full of suspense. One of my favorite series. I was done with them once I got through book 3 (got too repetitive) but the first 3 are amazing.

message 14: by Yelena (last edited Feb 12, 2014 03:44PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yelena Bosh You should definitely give this book a shot, it's different and very interesting to read! If you need more reasons why then read my review of it, it's short but hopefully helpful.

Jasmine Leahxx wrote: "Jasmine wrote: "OR you can read Hunger Games, which is just as good as this series, if not better."

Oh, THG is so much better haha"

I'm glad you agree, Leah.

Jasmine Michael wrote: "yes, you should read! Uglies came girls, let's NOT forget that. The series is becoming popular again and everyone is trying to say Scott copied The Hunger Games. Firstly, THG is filed with unnecess..."

The Hunger Games is nothing like The Uglies series. I agree with your comment 100%.

message 17: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Yes you should. I fell in love with this book and the others as soon as I got my hands on them. This dystopian strikes me as having more meaning than books like the "Hunger Games" or "Divergent."

message 18: by Lynn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn I found the first book a little slow through the first few chapters, but once I got past all of the explanation in those chapters, I loved it. The first three books are very good. I never read the fourth because it really wasn't necessary in the series. As was said above, it is a companion book and not really part of the series.

message 19: by Lara (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lara I personally did not enjoy the first book at all. I liked Westerfeld's vision of New Pretty Town but I wish we could have stayed there the whole first book because when we left New Pretty Town things started going downhill and it wasn't good. Therefore I didn't finnish the series and only read the first book. Plus I thought the main character Tally was very irritating

message 20: by Elle (last edited Feb 24, 2014 11:12AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Elle MC I read the first book and could not muster up the will and/or patience to read the second. My first dystopian series was Hunger Games and reading Uglies after Hunger Games will likely make you really disappointed. If you haven't read in a little while, start with Hunger Games. I just started Divergent and so far, loving it. The plot of the Uglies is a great one but it just wasn't developed enough. Maybe it was the broken dialogue. Can't put my finger on it. It had so many holes I just didn't really care what happened after the first book. With the Hunger Games, I ran out in the rain with bad hair and sunglasses to get the other 2 books (yes: pre-e-reader). Happy reads! :)

message 21: by Maya (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maya I read all of them. They're pretty (pretty? get it? no? ok) meh....not that good. Read just for fun, if you have some time on your hands.

Lillie YES

Emily Ann READ IT!

message 24: by Faye (new) - rated it 3 stars

Faye Elizabeth I had to force myself to finish reading them. The author threw in every plot twist possible and it just got taxing trying to finish the books. I loved the first one but it went steadily downhill after that

Tamar This book is sooo good! It makes you think about the world we live in and makes you take a closer look at how superficial we can be at times.
Great story and exciting! I just got Pretties, book 2, cant't wait to read on.

message 26: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris Good quick read. I enjoyed them. I was disappointed in the forth one.

Sarah I would say yes :). I just read the book a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I'm waiting to get Pretties, and I'm really excited when I do. It's a good book and can have a good message.

Nicole Yep! You should definitely read this one. :)

Emily Anderson I would definitely say read this series. It is one of my favorite series, and I am an avid reader. Try out Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi also. Such an amazing series. :D

April R I have read a bit of the Uglies series. It was good but not my favorite but you should try it :)

Taylor Uglies was the first dystopian book I've ever read and it was awesome. Because of that book I've read a lot of books like it(in some ways). You should read it, except the 4th book "Extras"(it was unnecessary and I hated it).That's just my opinion though.

Emily Anderson Taylor wrote: "Uglies was the first dystopian book I've ever read and it was awesome. Because of that book I've read a lot of books like it(in some ways). You should read it, except the 4th book "Extras"(it was u..."

cept it has that one part at the very end i liked, bout Tally

LittleDeadRedGoddessPersephone Trudy wrote: "I haven't read a book in a couple month (I know it's ridiculous) and I really want to get back to reading.

A dystopian sounds really good, and I've always wanted to read The Uglies Series but I do..."

I really liked the book. I was put off at first but some of the wording. It seemed silly until you get into it ans that is supposed to seem that way. I was worried it would be too kiddy but the more I read the more I enjoyed it. I am on Pretties right now and enjoying it! I would suggest it.

QueenAmidala28 It's good but not the BEST dystopian novel out there. I read it after the Hunger Games and The Giver so I was a little tired of the genre. Overall it's a good series but everything is written from a teenager's perspective so the writing gets a little boring. If you are going to read it, read all three books together.

Alana DO NOT READ THIS BOOK!!! Here is what will happen if you do.. First you will finish the first book, then after that the books get boring but the cliff hangers are good so you will go through the whole BORING series just to find out the answer... ITS NOT WORTH IT!!!!

Maddie C. The first book was so good but I don't think you should read any of the other books. I hated the rest of the series.

message 37: by Mary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary Its pretty good..

Hannah Christensen I thought this was a very interesting series but not my favorite. If you are looking for a good book series read The City of Bones By Cassandra Clare City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare

Simone S. I think this book is pretty worth it. Next to Divergent, and the Hunger Games, Uglies is/was my favorite book ever. I know for a fact the first book of the series was worth it, but I'm not so sure about the others after Pretties, I never got around to actually reading the rest. Hope you like it, if you read it.
~Simone

Gretchen I absolutely hated it. It was super slow, and I swear he had a great idea, but he just didn't know how to make it a story, so he was just filling the pages... dont read it.

message 41: by Lynn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn I agree with Gretchen about the Uglies in the beginning. It is slow, but if you can get past the first few chapters, the action picks up. Each book that follows gets better and better. It is a terrific series written before Hunger Games and Divergent.

Joshua Its kind of like junk food. Its enjoyable and easy to read, but there are some glaring plot holes and ridiculous characters.

QueenAmidala28 Joshua wrote: "Its kind of like junk food. Its enjoyable and easy to read, but there are some glaring plot holes and ridiculous characters."

I agree

message 44: by Lynn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn Simone wrote: "I think this book is pretty worth it. Next to Divergent, and the Hunger Games, Uglies is/was my favorite book ever. I know for a fact the first book of the series was worth it, but I'm not so sure ..."

You have to read The Specials. It was the best book of the series.

Christina Trudy wrote: "I haven't read a book in a couple month (I know it's ridiculous) and I really want to get back to reading.

A dystopian sounds really good, and I've always wanted to read The Uglies Series but I do..."

You should the series it is so good.

message 46: by Tris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tris I really liked this book and the ones fallowing it. If you like futuristic books this one is good!!!

Karlie Yes, amazing book! I have read it all of the series, a must read!

Jennifer I was also wary but I gave it a chance and I really enjoyed it. It is a very interesting story and it kept me entertained through out. I finished the whole series.

Teddy I loved Uglies and read it all, but then I tried to read the second book in the series but found it boring...

message 50: by JOIE (new) - rated it 2 stars

JOIE no

« previous 1