Shut Up & Read discussion

Archives > How do you choose the book you read?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by stanley (new)

stanley guarnelo I know it's a weird question, but for me there is no real pattern to what I choose to read. Usually I find something that catches my interest, either by word of mouth or possibly a suggestion from something I saw on the internet. My dilemma is that currently I have started reading THREE different novels. A Movable Feast by Ernest Hemingway, The Executioner's Song by Norman Mailer and 2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clark. Three very different novels in three unique writing styles. My rule of thumb is if I get 50 pages into a story I commit fully to that book, but unfortunately that rule is hard to apply when all three books are catching my interest. I can say that it looks like Mailer and Clark are starting to beat out Hemingway but I'll have to wait and see.

message 2: by E.G. (new)

E.G. Manetti (thornraven) I like almost every genre (I can't get into high-body count or really gross violence) and like Sandy, I tend to read in genre cycles. I do have favorite authors, but they aren't productive enough to keep my reading list full, so I'm always looking for new ones.

In this Goodreads in general and SU&R are great. I've found a number of authors and books I wouldn't have found without the discussions. So 'word of mouth' - if that's the correct term for electronic media - has become a great source for identifying what I want to read next.

message 3: by Robin (new)

Robin Lately, I've been having to read books that are related to my college courses. These books are good but they leave me little time to do any reading of my choosing. When I do have time to read on my own, I always have a Manga going at the same time as a chapter book. The genre really depends on what I'm in the mood for. Sometimes I can just pick something up and read it and other times I have a bit more trouble deciding. Sometimes I start reading a few different books before I can decide on which one I want to read.

message 4: by E.G. (new)

E.G. Manetti (thornraven) I love the 'free sample' feature for ebooks. I can download a bunch that look interesting, review as I have time, and then buy the 1 or 2 that work for me.

kiaras playground (BlackUnicorn) | 13 comments I have a very bad habbit when I cannot decide if I chould buy a book or not. I read the first and last page of the book. I seriously hate non-happy endings. I read a book for pleasure and I get really upset if the main character dies.
I started this habit after I read a couple of books where my favorite characters die in very unreasonable ways. It destroyed some very good books for me and I honestly don't see the point in killing off the main character in the last minute... at least not in a fantasy books. (I read mostly fantasy books)
With non-fantasy books I usually read the first couple of pages, then some random pages in the middle and the last page. If I don't like the writing style or dialouges then I know it's not a book for me.
:-D My friends and family makefun of me because of my weired habits but since then I have rarely been disappointed by a book.

chucklesthescot I stick to my favourite genres unless something different catches my eye. But when I pick a book to curl up in front of the TV to read, I have to decide which type of book I feel like. Do I feel like gory horror, action packed UF, brutal dystopian etc. Then I take ages to pick the actual book...

message 7: by Jim (new)

Jim Vuksic The cover is the first thing to catch my attention; however, the blurb on the back cover is the deciding factor as to whether or not I will read the book.

I also trust the judgement of my four adult children, who occasionally will recommend a book which they have read. They know what I like.

message 8: by A.L. (last edited Mar 11, 2014 12:29PM) (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 240 comments Synopsis first unless it is an author I know I like, then I buy it. I get a lot through facebook, and book of the month here. Non-fiction I'll get it because the subject matter interests me.

I've got a few because someone I know recommended it, but that is rare:)

What genre I read depends on my mood, I re-read a lot. Often looking at books I'm quite familiar with before bed.

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda  (manka23) | 14 comments Typically if the title or cover catches my eye I then read the synopsis. If that intrigues me I turn to the reviews. If someone trusted recommends something I typically bypass all of that.

message 10: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas | 33 comments I'll read anything that has good word of mouth and if the blurb interests me, but currently I'm hooked on the Classics. I've read Dune, LOTR and now I'm reading classic Greek tales. I rarely ever read more than one book at once though as I prefer to dedicate my mind to just that one and not stretch it too thin.

message 11: by James (new)

James Caterino (jimcaterino) | 4 comments First the cover and/or title grabs my attention. Then the back cover blurb lures me in. Finally a quick browse (via Look Inside or the actual book if in a brick&mortar store) seals the deal.

Yeah, I'm an easy sell lol. I buy more books than I will possibly ever have time to read.

message 12: by Natasha (new)

Natasha House (natashahouse) | 24 comments Cassandra wrote: "Honestly, I get into a particular "genre" mood (ie-I obsess about sci-fi during December, then fantasy during January, etc.), and then I search for stories that have some similar aspects to past st..."

I get that way too! I usually am reading like 5 books at once, cause I get mood swings for different styles and types of books. I have a "light-hearted" book for when I just want something silly or fun. Other times I want an intense novel that is packed full of action.

message 13: by Kara (new)

Kara Skinner (Lover's Quarrel Reviews) | 15 comments A lot of my books are from authors asking for reviews, and I usually just read them in the order of which they asked me. Other times if I liked the first book of a series or another book by a certain author, I'll find more of their books and read those. Like if I find a Meg Cabot or Rick Riordan book on sale, I'll immediately get them. Other times I choose what I can relate to or what interests me at the time. Usually it's the cover and a good synopsis that makes me pick up a book.

message 14: by Celine (new)

Celine Jeanjean Natasha wrote: "Cassandra wrote: "Honestly, I get into a particular "genre" mood (ie-I obsess about sci-fi during December, then fantasy during January, etc.), and then I search for stories that have some similar ..."

I'm the total opposite, I can't read more than one book at a time. Or if I do it inevitably means that I drop the first book I was reading because I wasn't enjoying it.

message 15: by Emory (new)

Emory Skwara (emoryxskwara) | 3 comments Stan wrote: "I know it's a weird question, but for me there is no real pattern to what I choose to read. Usually I find something that catches my interest, either by word of mouth or possibly a suggestion from ..."

I totally understand why those other two would beat out Hemingway. I think he's a little overrated myself. I still need to get to 2001 by Clarke.

I usually fluctuate between harder reads and easier reads, and then I'm mostly open when it comes to genre with a few exceptions of course. I've been trying to finish all the books in my personal library without buying anything else, which will take some time, but that's the goal. And, yeah, I have to focus on one book at a time, otherwise I'll never finish any of them, or it'll take a lot longer. ;)

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) My criteria for choosing a book: good cover design, interesting synopsis, lyrical writing, fast paced plot, and characters I care about.