YA/NA FANATICS discussion

Battle of the Books 2014 > Battle of the Books Challenge Chat and Questions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 89 (89 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jackie - Fire & Ice Book Reviews (last edited Feb 13, 2014 02:02PM) (new)

Jackie - Fire & Ice Book Reviews (jackiefireicebookreviews) | 316 comments Mod
 photo coollogo_com-9378626_zpsc50cb531.png
Hello everyone, and welcome to battle of the books 2014!

♥ About Challenge ♥

This challenge will run through out the entire year. Participants that sign up will be paired into groups.

Each group will have a team leader. The team leaders job is to make sure their team is meeting the challenge requirements, and answer any questions the team may have.

Teams will battle head to head to see who can read the most books in 2014. Each book that you read in 2014 that is group appropriate, will count twards the challenge.

Each team member must make sure they keep up with the number of books they read each month. At the end of each month the team leader will then get the total of books read from each member, and then give that total to me.

The team that reads the most books at the end of the year will ern bragging rights, and a prize!

♥ Requirements of a Team Leader ♥

A team leader must be active on the group durring the challenge. You must check in with your team at least 3 times a week. (Teams and the team leader can decide when the best time is for the team leader to check in, and answer any questions.) You do not have to be online all day. 30 minutes to a hour is fine. So if you are a active member on GR, then you would make an awesome team leader!

If a book is not group appropriate, team leaders must help the member find out, or contact me!

At the end of each month, team leaders must gather up the teams total of books read, and let me know so I can log it!

♥ How To Play! ♥

Each member must create a shelf to keep their books that they read for the challenge on. You must also create a monthly shelf so it will be easier for your team leader to gather a total of books read each month. (More details about the shelves will come later.) Each member must read at least one book every month. If you can not read a book because of personal reasons, please let your team leader know so they can tell me.

Throughout the year myself or another moderator will give you a certain type of book you have to read, or we will throw in some sort of theme. There will also be some other surprises for each team!

Winners ♥

The team that reads the most books in 2014 will be the winner of the challenge! Prizes will be awarded to the winning team. The member that reads the most books out of all of the teams will win an aditional prize!

Team leaders will be decided once the teams are created. If you have any questions, please leave them below when you sign up!

Please sign up below! I will then send out a message with more details, and also the team you will be on! (Note: please reply to my message asap. If you do not reply to my message with in 3 days, you will be taken off of the sign up list.) Sign ups will end on Feb 18th.

Now! Let's get started! :)

message 2: by Gia (new)

Gia | 102 comments Mod
I'm in! It sounds fun!

message 6: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (5hip) | 20 comments I'm in!!!! XD

message 7: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (rocketshan) I'm in

message 8: by Loni (new)

Loni Engledow (lonisue75) | 27 comments I would like to join sounds like lots of fun!!!!

message 9: by Cinthia (new)

Cinthia (cinthiah) | 31 comments Sounds fun. I'm in too.

message 10: by AnnaMarie (new)

AnnaMarie Sounds fun :)

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Mitchell (bookluvr34) | 49 comments This sounds like a lot of fun. I'd love to join.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm in!

message 13: by Hawazen (new)

Hawazen (zonna) I'm in

message 14: by Brittany (new)

Brittany DeLys (brittdelys423) | 60 comments I'll join in. Sounds fun.

message 15: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 16 comments I'll join :-)

message 16: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (jords) | 26 comments I'm in :)

message 17: by Pahel (new)

Pahel I'm in!

message 18: by Anushka (new)

Anushka Any excuse to read more! I'm in too! :)

message 19: by James (new)

James (theadventurousbookreader) | 14 comments I'm in!

message 20: by Kim (new)

Kim Justice (breathoflifebookreviews) | 25 comments This really sounds like fun, I would love to be included.. Count me in.

message 21: by Kim (new)

Kim Justice (breathoflifebookreviews) | 25 comments Awesome..

message 22: by Loni (new)

Loni Engledow (lonisue75) | 27 comments I'm in

Kim wrote: "Awesome.."

Please check into your teams thread! https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Loni wrote: "I'm in"

Please check into your teams thread! https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

So we start counting books today? If I have books already started and finish today/tomorrow do those count?

message 26: by Jackie - Fire & Ice Book Reviews (last edited Feb 18, 2014 06:50PM) (new)

Lindsey wrote: "So we start counting books today? If I have books already started and finish today/tomorrow do those count?"

no! Everyone has 3 days to check in on there team thread, and come up with a team leader. So, on the 21st is when it actually starts! Books started on the 21st will count.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay. Thanks. I will make sure to finish all books by then.

Lindsey wrote: "Okay. Thanks. I will make sure to finish all books by then."

lol Books have to be started on the 21st! not finished!

message 29: by Jackie - Fire & Ice Book Reviews (last edited Feb 18, 2014 07:11PM) (new)

If I let everyone count the books they are reading now, they would have a head start over other teams that may not be reading a book right now! Everyone will start reading on the same date so it will be fair. After that... They better read a lot of books!!

message 30: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (rocketshan) I have so many books I want to start!!!!! Guess I'll go read some old lady fiction

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Jackie (fireandicebookreviews.blogspot.com) wrote: "Lindsey wrote: "Okay. Thanks. I will make sure to finish all books by then."

lol Books have to be started on the 21st! not finished!"

I get that. What I meant was that I will make sure I finish all my current books by the 20th so I can start new books on the 21st. That way I can start right away and not have to finish books.

Oh I missunderstood. Sorry about that!

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

No worries. I was on my phone and typing fast.

message 34: by AnnaMarie (new)

AnnaMarie I see the new shelf added to my books but I don't seem to be able to add my goal and comment on the widget page. I don't think I "left" the challenge but maybe I hit something in error...help??

I can't wait to get started!! :)

Let me check

AnnaMarie wrote: "I see the new shelf added to my books but I don't seem to be able to add my goal and comment on the widget page. I don't think I "left" the challenge but maybe I hit something in error...help??

I..."

I don't see you on there at all. Delete your shelf, and try it again. https://www.goodreads.com/challenges/...

message 37: by AnnaMarie (new)

AnnaMarie Jackie (fireandicebookreviews.blogspot.com) wrote: "AnnaMarie wrote: "I see the new shelf added to my books but I don't seem to be able to add my goal and comment on the widget page. I don't think I "left" the challenge but maybe I hit something in ..."

That did the trick, thank you!! :)

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

For the books we read are they only Young adult books or can we count any book (New Adult, Non-fiction, science-fiction, memoir)?

Young adult and new adult. Any sub genres are fine. Example would be... Okay like paranormal. Any paranormal book must be young adult or new adult. Same with other genres. They just must be YA and NA.

Did that help?

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay. So no to the memoirs, science-fiction, non-fiction unless they were classified as NA or YA on here?

If they are classified as a young adult, or new adult that it is fine. If they are an adult book, then no. If it is a specific book, you can always ask me and I will take a look for you.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you. I'm sorry for all the questions. I just want to make sure before we start. That way I know which books to count and which ones not to count since I read all types.

It is not a problem! I am happy to help :-)

message 45: by Kim (new)

Kim Justice (breathoflifebookreviews) | 25 comments Hey Jackie we still have two that have not checked in with our team 1, how soon are you wanting to know the team leader?

By the 21st

message 47: by Kim (new)

Kim Justice (breathoflifebookreviews) | 25 comments Jackie (fireandicebookreviews.blogspot.com) wrote: "By the 21st"

Okay, and sorry, three of us have checked in just one has not. Thanks

James right? I don't have him on my list as checked in. He still has 3 days.

message 49: by Kim (new)

Kim Justice (breathoflifebookreviews) | 25 comments Jackie (fireandicebookreviews.blogspot.com) wrote: "James right? I don't have him on my list as checked in. He still has 3 days." yes, I did ask who would like to be in our group no answers yet..hehe looking forward to this, I think it is going to be fun.

message 50: by Hawazen (new)

Hawazen (zonna) Hi Jackie .....would Stitches by David Small count as a YA?

« previous 1