Start by marking “Attack on Titan, Vol. 1 (Attack on Titan, #1)” as Want to Read:
Attack on Titan, Vol. 1 (Attack on Titan, #1)

Attack on Titan, Vol. 1

(Attack on Titan #1)

4.42  ·  Rating details ·  109,489 ratings  ·  2,008 reviews
In this post-apocalyptic sci-fi story, humanity has been devastated by the bizarre, giant humanoids known as the Titans. Little is known about where they came from or why they are bent on consuming mankind. Seemingly unintelligent, they have roamed the world for years, killing everyone they see. For the past century, what's left of man has hidden in a giant, three-walled c ...more
Published June 19th 2012 by Kodansha Comics (first published March 17th 2010)

·  109,489 ratings  ·  2,008 reviews

Raeleen Lemay
May 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
WHOA. LOTS OF STUFF. I just watched the first few episodes of the anime recently, and this volume had so much action all packed into it! (around 6 or 7 episodes' worth).

I think I'm going to take my time reading these, as I really enjoy being surprised by the show.
Anesha †Curious & Obsessive Bookworm†
Honestly speaking?

I didn't think I'd love this manga SO MUCH

I dived in because I wanted to watch the anime, but felt the need to read it first... Then it just blew me away. I loved everything about this manga... the rawness, the gore... the action...the mystery... omg am just in awe and am eager continue it~~!!!

I havent had a manga hold my attention for a while to such an extent (apart from usual obsession of those I keep up with xD)

Ah~!!
Shannon
2nd reading: You know what, I liked this a little bit more after reading it again. It's possible that the crap I read before this made this seem better overall ... but, meh. Not bad.

~

Original review:
I don't know man ... I finished this and started on the second volume and I feel like this might be one of those instances where I just don't get the hype. I also don't understand how this is already up to 11 volumes when (some spoilers for volume 2 as well) (view spoiler)
Jan Philipzig
Trash That Works

Formulaic? Crude? Amateurish? Appalling? Yes, definitely, all of the above. Make no mistake, this series falls squarely into the trash category. Not tongue-in-cheek-I-am-actually-so-above-this pseudo trash, but just plain trash. I mean, this guy tries hard but simply isn't the most gifted of artists. And yet - somehow - he has been able to capture the imagination of millions around the world with this story centered around an eerie mystery: Who are those "titans" that have nearly
Mario
Jun 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I didn't think that this would be as good as anime (because anime is bloody fantastic), but it was. I loved the art style, characters and above all amazing and brutal story.

My first manga, but it definitely won't be my last.
Sam Quixote
Dec 08, 2014 rated it did not like it
In the future overly simplistic stories exploring the Japanese xenophobic mindset will bore you with their complete lack of imagination! The evil Titans (or, “foreigners”) threaten the tiny human population (or, “Japanese”) by eating them (or, “consuming their culture”). The humans live in medieval-type castle structures with multiple layers of walls that don’t work to attempt to protect themselves from the Titans who want to eat them for some reason.

Our hero is the perpetually constipated Some
Magdalen
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
This is my second time reading the entire series 'cause season 2 is coming to an end and the waiting for new chapters has become unbearable.
Although i know exactly what happens next I can't help the shivers and the tearing up especially when I see characters whom I love and are no longer alive. (view spoiler)
The artwork is amazing and the plot is phenomenal I mean could I ever say something bad about shingeki? Hell no.
The cliffhanger in the end
Coffee&Quasars
Nov 14, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

Coming in as an anime fan, I think the anime did this a lot better. This seems like a rough sketch by comparison.
Lottie Eve
Jun 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars!
I have always felt that the giants in fiction today are starting to become bumbling, stupid fools that just happen to be oversized and love destroying things, stripped of the fear they held around them a long time ago. So whenever I see this wildly popular manga series online or in the bookstore, I think nothing of it and pass by it. That is, until the anime adaption started airing this year and I saw the opening. And that opening was just so glorious that I just had to at least try ou
Bradley
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So I'm finally using my three-dimensional gear to jump on this bandwagon, at long last, and what a wild ride it is!

After what seems a slow start but still an interesting world-build, the emotional impact is still severe and bone-crunchingly immediate. There's usually never a warning before someone you love dies, but it's doubly so here.

The manga has a very serious tone and it wears its heart on its sleeve.

The ending of this volume is very strong, but honestly, I am not entirely certain I like t
Ivan
Feb 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is very hyped but so far I'm unimpressed. I really hope it gets better because volume 1 was just ok-ish.
Sandra Uv
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Este manga lo empecé en el año 2009 y casi diez años después, así estoy, fangirleando a muerte con la historia. El primer tomo, al igual que todos los demás, me lo habré leído unas tropecientas veces. Me sé todas las escenas y diálogos de memoria y es que...para mi, es una obra maestra del manga. Este 1º tomo es bastante introductorio y el dibujo de Isayama es bastante pobre en comparación a como dibuja ahora pero la historia consigue atraparnos hasta límites insospechados. Para mi, imprescindib ...more
♔ Dark Lordette Jennymort ♔

description
Y'all know I love me some Attack on Titan. I just couldn't help myself.

description
Don't look at me like that.

One thing I really like about this book was that it pretty much was in line with the show. (I saw the show before reading this.) So that could be why I read this so fast. Might have skipped a bit.

#sorrynotsorry
description

This first book was the only one that was free, so I think I will just wait till I have the fucking Colossal Edition before I read more. Cause DAYUMN . Look at those fuckers. They HUGGGGE!

A
Sesana
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, dystopian
There's a lot of hype surrounding Attack on Titan, though a lot of that is for the anime version. I've never seen it, and after reading the first volume of the manga, I don't know if I'll bother.

Attack on Titan is based on a solid premise: a century ago, man-eating giants, called titans, suddenly appeared and attacked humanity en masse. Now, the remaining survivors live inside high, thick walls, and have generally given up on defeating the titans. So far, so good. And what the manga does best i
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing

There is a wild fire inside you
Burning desire you can't extinguish
Your crimson arrow
Rips through the twilight
This is the moment for war!”

I am obsessed. Please send help.
Hassan
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
BEST. MANGA. EVER.
if you're hesitant to pick this up because you think the anime is better, don't be, this is as good as the anime.

I LOVE THE HECK OUTTA OF THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rob
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Story
I knew I'd enjoy the story coming into it, because I watched this anime already. I decided to check out the manga because the series ended in a terrible place and there is currently no plans for another series/second season.

There wasn't really anything I didn't know from this book. The first two stories or line up with the first few episodes of the show. The manga skips over most/all of the training however. I'm not sure if the people who did the show added all that in to give the charact
Mizuki
Aug 15, 2013 marked it as to-read
I had heard a lot of good things about this series, I also agree that the concepts are refreshing and exciting. I even read *part* of the first few volumes.

But I just don't think this series has successfully held my interest. I read one volume...then... I stopped.

So it's one of those Read only when it's for free books.
Elena
Apr 03, 2015 marked it as to-read
I'm currently OBSESSED with the Anime and I NEED to get my hands on this!
David Schaafsma
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Since one of the Goodreads Graphic Novel nominees this year was Attack on Titan, Vol. 16 (I think), I thought I would check this out. Fans of this, does it get better, because I would have to say it is not worth my time. A post-apocalyptic story about the remaining human race, confined to a walled area for a century to protect itself from Titans that once devastated the planet. 50 meter walls that the Titans cannot reach, but there's a larger one out there, and folks are going to have to do some ...more
Kristijan
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Nije loše za početak - intrigantna distopijska priča, dobra grafika, interesantni likovi.
Na nekim mestima je pomalo zbrzana radnja, ali sve u svemu jedva čekam nastavak :D
Shaina
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)
Attack on my understanding! That's what this is.

The buzz and hype around the anime is larger than life itself, so I thought I should get around to catching up on the manga before checking out the anime. It's safe to say that I am confused and staggered by what I just went through.

The artwork is horrible. The characters are frustrating. The writing is pretentious and too obvious.

The premise of humanity being confined within a concentric city with giant walls in order to protect themselves from T
FARHANG Nazari  DOOST
3.5
حقیقتاً لایق تعاریفی که ازش شنیدم بود.
کاری ندارم اسمش رو چی میگذارید(مانگا، کمیک و...؟!) هرچی هست فقط به نظرم چنین دنیای داستانی جذاب، خفن و هولناکی لایق یک طراح حرفهایتر با رنگ آمیزی بود. کاری ندارم سبکش اینه ولی کلاً با سیاه سفید بودنش احساس کردم بهم توهین شده!
اما با اینحال که طراحیهاش خیلی ابتدایی بود و نبود رنگآمیزی به کل تو ذوق من یکی میزد خود داستان به هیچ وجه خسته کننده نبود.
از داستانش لذت بردم.
Inés Izal
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, mangas
Es una completa pasada.
فؤاد
Nərmin
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: action shounen manga fans
First volume review
So, the idea wasn't interesting for me first, but when I gave it a go, I got invested in the story. Now I am wondering that why and from where did the titans come and if only a bunch of people remains.
I have seen first episodes of anime and I quite liked calm and clever Armin. Eren shouts a lot and have impulsive and impatient character but I liked his determination and courage. Mikasa has no emotion in her face though she is more rational than Eren. I liked her too.
The art
Chantal
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Io lo amo troppo!
Berfin Kanat
Apr 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
Manga animesi kadar güzel gelmedi. Aksiyon sahnelerini izlemek okumaktan daha keyifli. Yine de izlerken spoiler yememek için animenin önüne geçene kadar okuyacağım. .d.d
Yasiru (reviews will soon be removed and linked to blog)
Below is my original review, but having caught up I wanted to add that I finally realised why I was drawn to this in such an apprehensive way- it's because the series taps directly into the Evangelion centres of the brain. That may not make much sense if you haven't seen Neon Genesis Evangelion (something of a badge of honour and a trope/trauma codifier series when it comes to subconscious-tapping secrets being uncovered in the course of a desperate struggle against a powerful but to initial app ...more
YouTube Anime/Man...: Attack on Titan 4 11 Jan 20, 2019 05:42PM
Grade 10: Introducing some great mangas 2 3 Dec 15, 2017 07:41AM
Bibliophiles of L...: June - Attack on Titan, Vol. 1 2 7 Jun 16, 2015 12:50AM

• DRRR!! Durarara!! 2 (Durarara!! Manga, #2)
  • Bakuman, Volume 3: Debüt und Ungeduld
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 10 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #10)
  • 東京喰種トーキョーグール 10 [Tokyo Guru 10] (Tokyo Ghoul, #10)
  • Wandering Son, Vol. 2
  • No. 6: The Manga, Volume 01 (No. 6: The Manga, #1)
  • ゴールデンカムイ 1
  • Parasyte, Volume 1
  • Bleach, Volume 02
  • Blue exorcist, Tome 4
  • マギ 3 (Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic, #3)
  • 20th Century Boys, Band 4 (20th Century Boys, #4)
Japanese name: 諫山創

Hajime Isayama (諫山 創 Isayama Hajime, born 1986) is a Japanese manga artist from Ōyama, Ōita. His first and currently ongoing serial, Attack on Titan, has sold over 22 million copies as of July 2013. He has mentioned Tsutomu Nihei, Ryōji Minagawa, Kentaro Miura, Hideki Arai and Tōru Mitsumine as artists he respects, but stated that the manga that had the biggest influence on him

Attack on Titan (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Attack on Titan, Vol. 2 (Attack on Titan, #2)
  • Attack on Titan, Vol. 3 (Attack on Titan, #3)
  • Attack on Titan, Vol. 4 (Attack on Titan, #4)
  • Attack on Titan, Vol. 5 (Attack on Titan, #5)
  • Attack on Titan, Vol. 6 (Attack on Titan, #6)
  • 進撃の巨人 7 [Shingeki no Kyojin 7] (Attack on Titan, #7)
  • 進撃の巨人 8 [Shingeki no Kyojin 8] (Attack on Titan, #8)
  • 進撃の巨人 9 [Shingeki no Kyojin 9] (Attack on Titan, #9)
  • 進撃の巨人 10 [Shingeki no Kyojin 10] (Attack on Titan, #10)
  • Attack on Titan, Vol. 11 (Attack on Titan, #11)
“On that day, mankind received a grim reminder. We lived in fear of the Titans and were disgraced to live in these cages we called walls.” 147 likes
“Channel the anger swelling inside you
Fighting the boundary 'till you break through
Deep in your soul there's no hesitation
So make yourself the one they all fear

There is a wild fire inside you
Burning desire you can't extinguish
Your crimson arrow
Rips through the twilight
This is the moment for war!”
41 likes