Start by marking “Attack on Titan, Vol. 1 (Attack on Titan, #1)” as Want to Read:
Attack on Titan, Vol. 1 (Attack on Titan, #1)

Attack on Titan, Vol. 1

(進撃の巨人 / Attack on Titan #1)

4.42  ·  Rating details ·  122,590 ratings  ·  2,310 reviews
The Desperate Battle Begins!

For the past century, what's left of mankind has hidden in a giant, three-walled city, trapped in fear of the bizarre, giant humanoids known as the Titans. Little is known about where they came from or why they are bent on consuming humankind, but the sudden appearance of an enormous Titan is about to change everything...
Published June 19th 2012 by Kodansha Comics (first published March 17th 2010)

·  122,590 ratings  ·  2,310 reviews

Start your review of Attack on Titan, Vol. 1 (Attack on Titan, #1)
Anesha †Curious & Obsessive Bookworm†
Honestly speaking?

I didn't think I'd love this manga SO MUCH

I dived in because I wanted to watch the anime, but felt the need to read it first... Then it just blew me away. I loved everything about this manga... the rawness, the gore... the action...the mystery... omg am just in awe and am eager continue it~~!!!

I havent had a manga hold my attention for a while to such an extent (apart from usual obsession of those I keep up with xD)

Ah~!!
Tina Haigler
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a really good story, and the art is amazing, but be prepared. This is some dark stuff. It's listed as YA, but in my opinion it probably shouldn't be. It is listed as horror so at least there's that. I mean, people are getting eaten left and right so it's a little rough if you are emotionally sensitive, or get attached to characters easily. If so, I would say this book isn't for you. The characters are fascinating, and I'm hoping we will see more of their backstories in future volumes. I ...more
Shannon
2nd reading: You know what, I liked this a little bit more after reading it again. It's possible that the crap I read before this made this seem better overall ... but, meh. Not bad.

~

Original review:
I don't know man ... I finished this and started on the second volume and I feel like this might be one of those instances where I just don't get the hype. I also don't understand how this is already up to 11 volumes when (some spoilers for volume 2 as well) (view spoiler)
Jan Philipzig
Trash That Works

Formulaic? Crude? Amateurish? Appalling? Yes, definitely, all of the above. Make no mistake, this series falls squarely into the trash category. Not tongue-in-cheek-I-am-actually-so-above-this pseudo trash, but just plain trash. I mean, this guy tries hard but simply isn't the most gifted of artists. And yet - somehow - he has been able to capture the imagination of millions around the world with this story centered around an eerie mystery: Who are those "titans" that have nearly
Sam Quixote
Dec 08, 2014 rated it did not like it
In the future overly simplistic stories exploring the Japanese xenophobic mindset will bore you with their complete lack of imagination! The evil Titans (or, “foreigners”) threaten the tiny human population (or, “Japanese”) by eating them (or, “consuming their culture”). The humans live in medieval-type castle structures with multiple layers of walls that don’t work to attempt to protect themselves from the Titans who want to eat them for some reason.

Our hero is the perpetually constipated Some
Mario
Jun 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I didn't think that this would be as good as anime (because anime is bloody fantastic), but it was. I loved the art style, characters and above all amazing and brutal story.

My first manga, but it definitely won't be my last.
Magdalen
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
This is my second time reading the entire series 'cause season 2 is coming to an end and the waiting for new chapters has become unbearable.
Although i know exactly what happens next I can't help the shivers and the tearing up especially when I see characters whom I love and are no longer alive. (view spoiler)
The artwork is amazing and the plot is phenomenal I mean could I ever say something bad about shingeki? Hell no.
The cliffhanger in the en
Coffee&Quasars
Nov 14, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

Coming in as an anime fan, I think the anime did this a lot better. This seems like a rough sketch by comparison.
Lottie Eve
Jun 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars!
I have always felt that the giants in fiction today are starting to become bumbling, stupid fools that just happen to be oversized and love destroying things, stripped of the fear they held around them a long time ago. So whenever I see this wildly popular manga series online or in the bookstore, I think nothing of it and pass by it. That is, until the anime adaption started airing this year and I saw the opening. And that opening was just so glorious that I just had to at least try ou
Bradley
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So I'm finally using my three-dimensional gear to jump on this bandwagon, at long last, and what a wild ride it is!

After what seems a slow start but still an interesting world-build, the emotional impact is still severe and bone-crunchingly immediate. There's usually never a warning before someone you love dies, but it's doubly so here.

The manga has a very serious tone and it wears its heart on its sleeve.

The ending of this volume is very strong, but honestly, I am not entirely certain I like t
Ivan
Feb 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is very hyped but so far I'm unimpressed. I really hope it gets better because volume 1 was just ok-ish.
Dark Sith Lordette Jennymort ♔

description
Y'all know I love me some Attack on Titan. I just couldn't help myself.

description
Don't look at me like that.

One thing I really like about this book was that it pretty much was in line with the show. (I saw the show before reading this.) So that could be why I read this so fast. Might have skipped a bit.

#sorrynotsorry
description

This first book was the only one that was free, so I think I will just wait till I have the fucking Colossal Edition before I read more. Cause DAYUMN . Look at those fuckers. They HUGGGGE
Sesana
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dystopian, comics
There's a lot of hype surrounding Attack on Titan, though a lot of that is for the anime version. I've never seen it, and after reading the first volume of the manga, I don't know if I'll bother.

Attack on Titan is based on a solid premise: a century ago, man-eating giants, called titans, suddenly appeared and attacked humanity en masse. Now, the remaining survivors live inside high, thick walls, and have generally given up on defeating the titans. So far, so good. And what the manga does best i
Hassan
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
BEST. MANGA. EVER.
if you're hesitant to pick this up because you think the anime is better, don't be, this is as good as the anime.

I LOVE THE HECK OUTTA OF THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rob
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Story
I knew I'd enjoy the story coming into it, because I watched this anime already. I decided to check out the manga because the series ended in a terrible place and there is currently no plans for another series/second season.

There wasn't really anything I didn't know from this book. The first two stories or line up with the first few episodes of the show. The manga skips over most/all of the training however. I'm not sure if the people who did the show added all that in to give the chara
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing

There is a wild fire inside you
Burning desire you can't extinguish
Your crimson arrow
Rips through the twilight
This is the moment for war!”

I am obsessed. Please send help.
Mizuki
Aug 15, 2013 marked it as to-read
I had heard a lot of good things about this series, I also agree that the concepts are refreshing and exciting. I even read *part* of the first few volumes.

But I just don't think this series has successfully held my interest. I read one volume...then... I stopped.

So it's one of those Read only when it's for free books.
Elena
Apr 03, 2015 marked it as to-read
I'm currently OBSESSED with the Anime and I NEED to get my hands on this!
David Schaafsma
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Since one of the Goodreads Graphic Novel nominees this year was Attack on Titan, Vol. 16 (I think), I thought I would check this out. Fans of this, does it get better, because I would have to say it is not worth my time. A post-apocalyptic story about the remaining human race, confined to a walled area for a century to protect itself from Titans that once devastated the planet. 50 meter walls that the Titans cannot reach, but there's a larger one out there, and folks are going to have to do some ...more
nidhi :)
levi ackerman? rail me please. thank you. 💔

also mikasa and eren? i want ONE kiss. ONE. just ONE.
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)
Attack on my understanding! That's what this is.

The buzz and hype around the anime is larger than life itself, so I thought I should get around to catching up on the manga before checking out the anime. It's safe to say that I am confused and staggered by what I just went through.

The artwork is horrible. The characters are frustrating. The writing is pretentious and too obvious.

The premise of humanity being confined within a concentric city with giant walls in order to protect themselves from T
Nərmin
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: action shounen manga fans
First volume review
So, the idea wasn't interesting for me first, but when I gave it a go, I got invested in the story. Now I am wondering that why and from where did the titans come and if only a bunch of people remains.
I have seen first episodes of anime and I quite liked calm and clever Armin. Eren shouts a lot and have impulsive and impatient character but I liked his determination and courage. Mikasa has no emotion in her face though she is more rational than Eren. I liked her too.
The art
Shaina
Jon Nakapalau
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, horror, manga
Cannibalistic giants that are almost impossible to kill...mankind reduced to cities behind walls...a massive attack forces young warriors to fight a stalling battle - WOW - not for the faint of heart!
sally ✿
May 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
currently reading: chapter 129

so much shit is going down in the current arc and I am not ready to see how this all ends :(

進撃の巨人, or Shingeki no Kyojin, or The Attack Titan, or Attack on Titan, or Monthly Updates with so Many Characters Whom I Forget Every Chapter Oops.
Starlah
Sep 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, 2020
coming in as a HUGE anime fan, i couldn't help but to compare it and i think the anime did it a lot better (as far as the first volume goes). The episodes of the anime that correlate with the first volume are just A+, 5 stars, a fav! This first volume seemed like a rough outline in comparison. still loved, will still continue with the series. hopefully, it gets better.
Maria
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
simply put fam, the anime based on this manga is the very best I’ve ever seen. fucking phenomenal. instant classic. I’m shook to the core. season 3 comes out this july SO here we gooooo 👀
Yasiru
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Below is my original review, but having caught up I wanted to add that I finally realised why I was drawn to this in such an apprehensive way- it's because the series taps directly into the Evangelion centres of the brain. That may not make much sense if you haven't seen Neon Genesis Evangelion (something of a badge of honour and a trope/trauma codifier series when it comes to subconscious-tapping secrets being uncovered in the course of a desperate struggle against a powerful but to initial app ...more
Courtney ♡ librarycutie
Mar 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, 2020
after hearing my husband rave about this series for the last few weeks, i’ve decided to give it a go. i never finished the anime, but really enjoyed it, and so far am really enjoying the manga! i like the quick and brief intro to the world, it doesn’t bore you like some mangas would and gets to the point! i’m familiar with the intro so i flew through this! really excited to read this series!
Amber Hetchler
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Revising my review because originally I was saying how Attack on Titan wasn't that special and it was boring and blah blah blah

Obviously I was having issues that day or something, because it's freaking amazing.
Ultimate Fandom : Book Discussion Group: Attack on Titan 3 1 Aug 27, 2020 12:52PM
SCPL Teens: Attack on Titan Vol 1 review 1 2 Aug 12, 2020 12:28PM
Ultimate Fandom : Book Discussion Group: Attack on Titan 1 4 Mar 25, 2020 02:21PM
YouTube Anime/Man...: Attack on Titan 4 13 Jan 20, 2019 05:42PM
Grade 10: Introducing some great mangas 2 3 Dec 15, 2017 07:41AM

• Tokyo Ghoul, Tome 1 (Tokyo Ghoul, #1)
  • Naruto, Vol. 01: Uzumaki Naruto (Naruto, #1)
  • My Hero Academia, Vol. 1 (My Hero Academia, #1)
  • Death Note, Vol. 1: Boredom (Death Note, #1)
  • 鬼滅の刃 1 [Kimetsu no Yaiba 1]
  • Bleach, Volume 01
  • Fairy Tail, Vol. 01 (Fairy Tail, #1)
  • Blue Exorcist, Vol. 1  (Blue Exorcist, #1)
  • ワンパンマン 1 [Wanpanman 1] (Onepunch-Man, #1)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 1 (Black Butler, #1)
  • One Piece, Volume 1: Romance Dawn
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #1)
  • 約束のネバーランド 1 [Yakusoku no Neverland 1]
  • Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 (Ouran High School Host Club, #1)
  • ハイキュー!! 1 日向と影山 [Haikyū!! 1 Hinata to Kageyama]
  • Maid-sama! Vol. 01 (Maid-sama!, #1)
  • Soul Eater, Vol. 1 (Soul Eater, #1)
  • Hunter x Hunter, Vol. 01 (Hunter x Hunter, #1)
Japanese name: 諫山創

Hajime Isayama (諫山 創 Isayama Hajime, born 1986) is a Japanese manga artist from Ōyama, Ōita. His first and currently ongoing serial, Attack on Titan, has sold over 22 million copies as of July 2013. He has mentioned Tsutomu Nihei, Ryōji Minagawa, Kentaro Miura, Hideki Arai and Tōru Mitsumine as artists he respects, but stated that the manga that had the biggest influence on him

進撃の巨人 / Attack on Titan (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • Attack on Titan, Vol. 2 (Attack on Titan, #2)
  • Attack on Titan, Vol. 3 (Attack on Titan, #3)
  • Attack on Titan, Vol. 4 (Attack on Titan, #4)
  • Attack on Titan, Vol. 5 (Attack on Titan, #5)
  • Attack on Titan, Vol. 6 (Attack on Titan, #6)
  • 進撃の巨人 7 [Shingeki no Kyojin 7] (Attack on Titan, #7)
  • 進撃の巨人 8 [Shingeki no Kyojin 8] (Attack on Titan, #8)
  • 進撃の巨人 9 [Shingeki no Kyojin 9] (Attack on Titan, #9)
  • 進撃の巨人 10 [Shingeki no Kyojin 10] (Attack on Titan, #10)
  • Attack on Titan, Vol. 11 (Attack on Titan, #11)

News & Interviews

“On that day, mankind received a grim reminder. We lived in fear of the Titans and were disgraced to live in these cages we called walls.” 159 likes
“Channel the anger swelling inside you
Fighting the boundary 'till you break through
Deep in your soul there's no hesitation
So make yourself the one they all fear

There is a wild fire inside you
Burning desire you can't extinguish
Your crimson arrow
Rips through the twilight
This is the moment for war!”
50 likes