Start by marking “Attack on Titan, Vol. 1 (Attack on Titan, #1)” as Want to Read:
Attack on Titan, Vol. 1 (Attack on Titan, #1)

Attack on Titan, Vol. 1

(進撃の巨人 [Shingeki no Kyojin] #1)

4.47  ·  Rating details ·  196,231 ratings  ·  3,864 reviews
The Desperate Battle Begins!

For the past century, what's left of mankind has hidden in a giant, three-walled city, trapped in fear of the bizarre, giant humanoids known as the Titans. Little is known about where they came from or why they are bent on consuming humankind, but the sudden appearance of an enormous Titan is about to change everything...
Published June 19th 2012 by Kodansha Comics (first published September 9th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Attack on Titan, Vol. 1, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Thomas Murray This is their recording of years. Like 850 years ago was when the Titans first appeared

·  196,231 ratings  ·  3,864 reviews

Start your review of Attack on Titan, Vol. 1 (Attack on Titan, #1)
Anesha †Curious & Obsessive Bookworm†
Honestly speaking?

I didn't think I'd love this manga SO MUCH

I dived in because I wanted to watch the anime, but felt the need to read it first... Then it just blew me away. I loved everything about this manga... the rawness, the gore... the action...the mystery... omg am just in awe and am eager continue it~~!!!

I havent had a manga hold my attention for a while to such an extent (apart from usual obsession of those I keep up with xD)

Ah~!!
Tina Haigler
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a really good story, and the art is amazing, but be prepared. This is some dark stuff. It's listed as YA, but in my opinion it probably shouldn't be. It is listed as horror so at least there's that. I mean, people are getting eaten left and right so it's a little rough if you are emotionally sensitive, or get attached to characters easily. If so, I would say this book isn't for you. The characters are fascinating, and I'm hoping we will see more of their backstories in future volumes. I ...more
Mario the lone bookwolf
Look at these sweet skinless, fleshy titans, I want one as a pet

Looking forward to more backstory exploration
I can hardly remember a case where a mysterious worldbuilding and background event is so obviously and huge put in the main focus. One more great example of how Chekhovs and MacGuffins can be used in ridiculously giant ways.

Digging deeper into behemoths flesh
The symbolic aspect of this shouldn´t be underestimated, let´s say Japanese and general East Asian isolationism during the last
Shannon
2nd reading: You know what, I liked this a little bit more after reading it again. It's possible that the crap I read before this made this seem better overall ... but, meh. Not bad.

~

Original review:
I don't know man ... I finished this and started on the second volume and I feel like this might be one of those instances where I just don't get the hype. I also don't understand how this is already up to 11 volumes when (some spoilers for volume 2 as well) (view spoiler)
Sam Quixote
Dec 08, 2014 rated it did not like it
In the future overly simplistic stories exploring the Japanese xenophobic mindset will bore you with their complete lack of imagination! The evil Titans (or, “foreigners”) threaten the tiny human population (or, “Japanese”) by eating them (or, “consuming their culture”). The humans live in medieval-type castle structures with multiple layers of walls that don’t work to attempt to protect themselves from the Titans who want to eat them for some reason.

Our hero is the perpetually constipated Some
Mario
Jun 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I didn't think that this would be as good as anime (because anime is bloody fantastic), but it was. I loved the art style, characters and above all amazing and brutal story.

My first manga, but it definitely won't be my last.
Jan Philipzig
Trash That Works

Formulaic? Crude? Amateurish? Appalling? Yes, definitely, all of the above. Make no mistake, this series falls squarely into the trash category. Not tongue-in-cheek-I-am-actually-so-above-this pseudo trash, but just plain trash. I mean, this guy tries hard but simply isn't the most gifted of artists. And yet - somehow - he has been able to capture the imagination of millions around the world with this story centered around an eerie mystery: Who are those "titans" that have nearly
fatherofdragons113
Jan 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Oh my god I loved this!!! The world, the mythology, the mystery! I'm hooked! ...more
Bradley
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So I'm finally using my three-dimensional gear to jump on this bandwagon, at long last, and what a wild ride it is!

After what seems a slow start but still an interesting world-build, the emotional impact is still severe and bone-crunchingly immediate. There's usually never a warning before someone you love dies, but it's doubly so here.

The manga has a very serious tone and it wears its heart on its sleeve.

The ending of this volume is very strong, but honestly, I am not entirely certain I like t
farwa ☽ [hiatus]
currently reading

it’s about time.Let’s go-
Charmel
Apr 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
this is one of my favorite animes of all time and honestly, i wasn't planning to read this but thanks to minty for hyping me up 😭

I love how Mikasa, Armin, and Eren (especially Eren) were just small innocent beans. I also didn't know how I missed Hannes until I read about him again. I love almost everything from this book!
Magdalen
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
This is my second time reading the entire series 'cause season 2 is coming to an end and the waiting for new chapters has become unbearable.
Although i know exactly what happens next I can't help the shivers and the tearing up especially when I see characters whom I love and are no longer alive. (view spoiler)
The artwork is amazing and the plot is phenomenal I mean could I ever say something bad about shingeki? Hell no.
The cliffhanger in the en
nidhi :)
levi ackerman? rail me please. thank you. 💔

also mikasa and eren? i want ONE kiss. ONE. just ONE.

edit 4/11: i'm having a blast re-reading!! time moves way too fast, like i cannot believe 8 months have gone by this quickly. although, reading the first chapters now that the manga has been completed is simply... painful. this series is too beautiful to describe, but too meaningful to forget.

edit 12/25: PLS HIS ART STYLE HERE MAKES ME WEAK COMPARED TO THE PRESENT. i deeply miss the nostalgia :,)
Coffee&Quasars
Nov 14, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

Coming in as an anime fan, I think the anime did this a lot better. This seems like a rough sketch by comparison.
Lottie Eve
Jun 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars!
I have always felt that the giants in fiction today are starting to become bumbling, stupid fools that just happen to be oversized and love destroying things, stripped of the fear they held around them a long time ago. So whenever I see this wildly popular manga series online or in the bookstore, I think nothing of it and pass by it. That is, until the anime adaption started airing this year and I saw the opening. And that opening was just so glorious that I just had to at least try ou
persephone ☾
i feel like my brain is malfunctioning
Michael Sorbello
This is a review of the entire series.

Attack on Titan takes place in a horrifying dystopian fantasy world that somewhat mirrors our own, like an apocalyptic Europe where the last remnants of humanity live behind massive, skyscraper-sized walls to protect themselves from the giant, man-eating monsters known as Titans lurking just beyond them. The walls have successfully protected humanity for a hundred years, yet that short era of false peace comes to an end when a colossal titan bigger and deadl
Ideas are bulletproof
Oct 16, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga

3.5 stars.

Eren Yeager and his family have lived on the interior side of the wall for all their life, they have no clue as to what the outside world looks like. The outside world, is inhabited by a colossal group of Titans who intend to bring mankind into extinction! The 50 metres tall wall which has kept the people safe for so long is now no longer reliable…Th
Ivan
Feb 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is very hyped but so far I'm unimpressed. I really hope it gets better because volume 1 was just ok-ish. ...more
Henk
Aug 03, 2022 rated it liked it
A solid start of a serie seeped in blood and ripped limps galore

I get the end of the Dark Tower vibes with this opening of Eren waking up crying from a dream at the start of the series, hoping very much I am a bit paranoid with 33 parts still to go.

This basement reveal being teased is so unfair. As Eren’s dad says: There’s no holding back an inquisitive mind. 😒
And how humanity got into this pickle in the first place is also something I have loads of questions on.

Mikasa the bad-ass, she is shapin
❀ annie ❀
just a quick warning to all of you...

there may be a lot more attack on titan on your newsfeeds in the coming weeks...

because i am obsessed...

Dark Sith Lordette♔

description
Y'all know I love me some Attack on Titan. I just couldn't help myself.

description
Don't look at me like that.

One thing I really like about this book was that it pretty much was in line with the show. (I saw the show before reading this.) So that could be why I read this so fast. Might have skipped a bit.

#sorrynotsorry
description

This first book was the only one that was free, so I think I will just wait till I have the fucking Colossal Edition before I read more. Cause DAYUMN . Look at those fuckers. They HUGGGGE
Sesana
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dystopian, comics
There's a lot of hype surrounding Attack on Titan, though a lot of that is for the anime version. I've never seen it, and after reading the first volume of the manga, I don't know if I'll bother.

Attack on Titan is based on a solid premise: a century ago, man-eating giants, called titans, suddenly appeared and attacked humanity en masse. Now, the remaining survivors live inside high, thick walls, and have generally given up on defeating the titans. So far, so good. And what the manga does best i
Mizuki
Aug 15, 2013 marked it as to-read
I had heard a lot of good things about this series, I also agree that the concepts are refreshing and exciting. I even read *part* of the first few volumes.

But I just don't think this series has successfully held my interest. I read one volume...then... I stopped.

So it's one of those Read only when it's for free books.
Hassan
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
BEST. MANGA. EVER.
if you're hesitant to pick this up because you think the anime is better, don't be, this is as good as the anime.

I LOVE THE HECK OUTTA OF THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maria
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
simply put fam, the anime based on this manga is the very best I’ve ever seen. fucking phenomenal. instant classic. I’m shook to the core. season 3 comes out this july SO here we gooooo 👀
Katie Colson
Jul 24, 2022 rated it liked it
Vlog/Review: https://youtu.be/3LtrFimU5g0

I really enjoyed this. The world building and history was way easier to follow than I thought.

I really like our two main characters. Especially the girl. She's a badass with a brain. We love to see it.
sally ✿
May 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
completed | April 8th, 2021:

thank you Attack on Titan for the nine years of pain and depression. it has been a long road paved with bittersweet sorrow, moments of uncontrollable sobbing, and brief panels of respite. still, I am satisfied with how it all ended.

like our lovely and broken protagonist, I have been finally set free (of another long manga series). goodbyes are always hard. Shingeki no Kyojin, you will be missed dearly.

---

so much shit is going down in the current arc and I am not ready
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing

There is a wild fire inside you
Burning desire you can't extinguish
Your crimson arrow
Rips through the twilight
This is the moment for war!”

I am obsessed. Please send help.
Sylvie
As if the fandoms that I'm in weren't enough, I'm getting myself into more fandoms.
Attack on Titan was entirely an 'out of comfort' manga and experience for me and even though it confused a lot of times, I ended up liking it.
The Manga Squad: Attack on Titan 19 45 Dec 18, 2021 09:20AM
SCPL Teens: Attack on Titan Vol 1 review 1 2 Aug 12, 2020 12:28PM
YouTube Anime/Man...: Attack on Titan 4 14 Jan 20, 2019 05:42PM

• Death Note, Vol. 1: Boredom (Death Note, #1)
  • Naruto, Vol. 1: Uzumaki Naruto (Naruto, #1)
  • 鬼滅の刃 1 (Kimetsu no yaiba, #1)
  • Tokyo Ghoul, Tome 1 (Tokyo Ghoul, #1)
  • My Hero Academia, Vol. 1 (My Hero Academia, #1)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #1)
  • 呪術廻戦 0 東京都立呪術高等専門学校 (Jujutsu Kaisen, #0: Tokyo Metropolitan Magic Technical School)
  • SPY×FAMILY 1 (SPY×FAMILY, #1)
  • Bleach, Vol. 1 (Bleach, #1)
  • Chainsaw Man, Vol. 1 (チェンソーマン [Chensō Man], #1)
  • One Piece, Volume 1: Romance Dawn (One Piece, #1)
  • Fruits Basket, Vol. 1
  • ワンパンマン 1 [Wanpanman 1] (ワンパンマン [Wanpanman], #1)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 1 (Black Butler, #1)
  • Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 (Ouran High School Host Club, #1)
  • 約束のネバーランド 1 [Yakusoku no Neverland 1]
  • Hunter x Hunter, Vol. 01 (Hunter x Hunter, #1)
  • Fairy Tail, Vol. 01 (Fairy Tail, #1)
See top shelves…
Japanese name: 諫山創

Hajime Isayama (諫山 創 Isayama Hajime, born 1986) is a Japanese manga artist from Ōyama, Ōita. His first and currently ongoing serial, Attack on Titan, has sold over 22 million copies as of July 2013. He has mentioned Tsutomu Nihei, Ryōji Minagawa, Kentaro Miura, Hideki Arai and Tōru Mitsumine as artists he respects, but stated that the manga that had the biggest influence on him

進撃の巨人 [Shingeki no Kyojin] (1 - 10 of 34 books)
  • Attack on Titan, Vol. 2 (Attack on Titan, #2)
  • Attack on Titan, Vol. 3 (Attack on Titan, #3)
  • Attack on Titan, Vol. 4 (Attack on Titan, #4)
  • Attack on Titan, Vol. 5 (Attack on Titan, #5)
  • Attack on Titan, Vol. 6 (Attack on Titan, #6)
  • 進撃の巨人 7 [Shingeki no Kyojin 7] (Attack on Titan, #7)
  • 進撃の巨人 8 [Shingeki no Kyojin 8] (Attack on Titan, #8)
  • 進撃の巨人 9 [Shingeki no Kyojin 9] (Attack on Titan, #9)
  • 進撃の巨人 10 [Shingeki no Kyojin 10] (Attack on Titan, #10)
  • Attack on Titan, Vol. 11 (Attack on Titan, #11)

News & Interviews

Heads up, history nerds!   Historical fiction remains one of the busiest and most popular genres in the book business. It can be tricky just to...
“On that day, mankind received a grim reminder. We lived in fear of the Titans and were disgraced to live in these cages we called walls.” 177 likes
“Channel the anger swelling inside you
Fighting the boundary 'till you break through
Deep in your soul there's no hesitation
So make yourself the one they all fear

There is a wild fire inside you
Burning desire you can't extinguish
Your crimson arrow
Rips through the twilight
This is the moment for war!”
61 likes