Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Miscellaneous Book Talk > If we read a new book together what would it be?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 121 (121 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Ann (last edited Feb 08, 2014 12:37PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments What if any, book should we group read next? Several of us read ..and some enjoyed ;) and commented on discussion threads around the same time for Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch.
The Goldfinch was on a lot of people's 'to read in January' or 'to read soon' lists anyway so it seemed a natural choice. We have read several books "together" and posted spoilers welcome comments for them such as 11/22/63 with a lively discussion, and also read the first two Justin Cronin books (The Passage and The Twelve) together so his new one later this year seems a natural too... but that is later.
The trend with each of these successful books appears to be a big fat book that is already on our personal radar to read. That said - any suggestions for another book while we wait for The City of Mirrors?

message 2: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7906 comments Doctor Sleep by Stephen King

Sycamore Row by John Grisham

I like when we pick something I wouldn't necessarily be reading next, which isn't true of the above actually.

message 3: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments I have sycamore row I could be talked into reading that one. I'll check what else I have downloaded that might be good for the grp. On the books I got back for the shore book contest. I have carthage by joyce carol oates (never read her before), the secret of magic by deborah johnson and I have (and it's also the f2f book grp read for march) the valley of amazement by amy tam. And yes that one is over 500 pages. that one kind of scares me since the only other book of her's I read I didn't like.

message 4: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments I am up for either but preference would be Dr. Sleep, then Sycamore Row. I think Dr. Sleep might lend itself to more discussion. I have both on my Kindle and look forward to the decision!

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Carol and Liz: I can discuss Doctor Sleep easily if we decide that one (I already read it and it would be an excellent discussion book!) I haven't read a John Grisham in a while, it could be time!
I hadn't read much Amy Tan but did like The Bonesetter's Daughter.

message 6: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2998 comments I would prefer the Grisham, since I have not yet read that.

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments I would prefer Grisham too.

message 8: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments Grisham would be good I already have it for the nook.

message 9: by Cecelia/Ceil (new)

Cecelia/Ceil (ceil0614) | 41 comments Sycamore Row would be a good one. I'm already listening to it.

message 10: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2998 comments I went out and bought it. I'll hold for a decision.

message 11: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments If we go for it, I can get the audible.com version of Sycamore Row. The library hold list is out of the question for 2014 from the looks of it.

message 12: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7906 comments Yeah, me too. I'm number 207 on 94 copies.

Shall we make it official? When to start? March 1 or earlier?

Ann wrote: "If we go for it, I can get the audible.com version of Sycamore Row. The library hold list is out of the question for 2014 from the looks of it."

message 13: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments I have the copy on the nook already I'm okay with march 1st. but you know me I'll go with the flow what ever everyone else wants.

message 14: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2998 comments No choice. I'm Mr. Agreeable once again.

message 15: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3621 comments i read it already- hope i can remember enough to discuss it :)

message 16: by Ann (last edited Feb 12, 2014 11:10PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Carol: I think making it official sounds good and starting on March 1st works for me; since I ended the discussion on The Goldfinch for 2/28, Sycamore Row will slide in nicely next.
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Shall we make it official? When to start? March 1 or earlier?."

message 17: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7906 comments Great. Will you put it up in the banner when the time is right? I think that was a good idea even though I now have to scroll past it to get to the messages. ;-) It might bring in others looking to discuss Sycamore Row.

Ann wrote: "Carol: I think making it official sounds good and starting on March 1st works for me; since I ended the discussion on The Goldfinch for 2/28, Sycamore Row will slide in nicely next.
Carol/Bonadie w..."

message 18: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Since most of us start our new book counts for the month on the 1st, starting Sycamore Rowe on the first sounds like a good plan!

message 19: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2998 comments There should be a fanfare to go with the banner.

message 20: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments I'll work on the fanfare for the banner! And put it up for March first. Sounds great!

message 21: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Hooper | 23 comments Sounds good to me. I already have it on my Kindle.

message 22: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Does anyone want to suggest a new book(s) to consider starting as another group discussion in April?
We have had a lot of fun discussing The Goldfinch and Sycamore Row. Sycamore Row is still listed as our March-April book, but that doesn't stop us from selecting another book for a group read in April if there is interest. I think several of us have mentioned enjoying the deeper insights and opinions.

message 23: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments I would love to do another with the group. I'll come up with some ideas and post them later.

message 24: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments I am up for another group read as well!

message 25: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments I saw shatter by michael Robotham which is 3rd in a series. I saw it at BN and it looked good but of course I read in order and haven't tried his books. The first one is suspect. I'll still look around to see if there is any other books that would fit in. I need to read The book thief for my f2f books grp for apr. but I'm sure many of you have read that book already. I look what else I have on the nook that might be something good.

message 26: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Haven't read The Book Thief, but need motivation to do so, and a group read would be great, but I bet most have read it. What about Coben's new stand--alone Missing You?

message 27: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments Liz I have missing you on my nook too that would be a good one to do too. That movie website you can watch has the book thief too I almost watched it this past weekend but want to read the book first plus at the time I didn't know that the f2f book grp was going to do it.

message 28: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments I'm reading Missing You now.

message 29: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3621 comments i'm up for another group read, too.

message 30: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Me too.

message 31: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2998 comments Dennis Lehane has "World Gone By coming, but I think it is delayed from March till August.

message 32: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Barry, that's disappointing! Love me some Lehane!

message 33: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Hooper | 23 comments Ann wrote: "Does anyone want to suggest a new book(s) to consider starting as another group discussion in April?
We have had a lot of fun discussing The Goldfinch and [book:Sycamore Row|1728866..."

I have Defending Jacob on my tbr list, but I know a lot of you have already read it.

message 34: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2998 comments You should read Defending Jacob, but as a group read, that ship has sailed.

message 35: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Missing You by Harlan Coben sounds interesting as an option! And at least we can look forward to the Lehane later in the summer. Good ideas!

message 36: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7906 comments I concur on Missing You. I think I wrote elsewhere that I heard Harlan on my morning sports station talking about it, and while the thriller genre isn't my favorite, this one piqued my interest.

I'll get on the library queue at both libraries.

message 37: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments With five of us thinking Missing You is a good choice, I will add it to the banner at the top of our page to start April 1st - I'll have to get a copy to see the chapters before setting up those threads in a few days. It is crazy that the first three months of the year have flown by so fast! I am excited to have another one lined up!

message 38: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Yahoo! Me too Ann! Looking forward to another group read!

message 39: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments sounds good. I'll have to make sure the book is ready on the mini I and nooks.

message 40: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2648 comments Missing You: 15 books, 100 holds. Don't think I'll be joining y'all for April.

message 41: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Looking forward to seeing what you all think. I'm almost finished reading it and I think it is good :)

message 42: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Dan: Aack, that is not good math. My library was similar, though better odds, 56 copies and 123 on hold. I went for the audio / Kindle. I hate that you can't participate. :(
Daniel wrote: "Missing You: 15 books, 100 holds. Don't think I'll be joining y'all for April."

message 43: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7906 comments Dan why don't you request it and see where things fall? While the official start date is April 1 people will be starting at their own pace, so I think the conversation will start in earnest mid-April and last until the end of the month. I'm guessing Missing You is a quick read, so you never know how those 100 readers will make it through 15 books, and who knows, some may drop out.

message 44: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7906 comments p.s.. Thanks, Ann, for setting up the chapters!

message 45: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2648 comments Ann/Carol: I did request the book and am hoping it will pop up. Just not holding my breath.

message 46: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3621 comments i read missing you when i was on vacation and liked it. unfortunately i'm pretty sure i won't remember enough about it to discuss it..but you never know :)

message 47: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1116 comments I'm way down on the list too Dan.

message 48: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments I just finished it and can't wait to hear what you all think of it, especially the end.

message 49: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2648 comments Merrilee in AZ wrote: "I'm way down on the list too Dan."

Must be an Arizona thing.

message 50: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7906 comments Sherry wrote: "i read missing you when i was on vacation and liked it. unfortunately i'm pretty sure i won't remember enough about it to discuss it..but you never know :)"

I don't know, our discussions get pretty detailed (especially if Barry or I get to the chapter descriptions first) so I bet it will come back to you.

« previous 1 3