Future Survivors, the Apocalypse Group discussion

Fun > If you were in a zombie apocalypse would you choose a bow and 30 arrows a shotgun or a machete

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Noconnel (new)

Noconnel | 5 comments I would choose the machete

message 2: by Isaiah (new)

Isaiah Lovelace | 5 comments A shotgun

message 3: by Maria (new)

Maria | 30 comments A bow and arrow, silent AND deadly..!

message 4: by Better (new)

Better Army (betterheroarmy) | 1 comments Trick question, right? Machete. You never have to reload.

message 5: by Brooke (new)

Brooke Bow and arrows. You can use it from a distance, its silent, plus being able to re-use arrows!

message 6: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea B | 10 comments Bow and arrows, because I would be too afraid to go up to the zombie; the more distance the better!

message 7: by Erik (new)

Erik (ehyp) | 1 comments A good machete I think.

I would probably lost all the arrows in a day, not to mention the loads for the shutgun.

Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books) (goodreadscomhermyoni) | 17 comments Machete. Bow and arrow is great but also very heavy and hard to shoot while running. Shotgun has limited ammo so sure it'd be great inthe short run but after that you'd be boned til you acquired more.

message 9: by Peter (new)

Peter Stone (sevensidedcube) Shotgun is no good because you can't use the ammo more than once. Machete is no good because if you get splashed by the zombie's blood, you're cactus. So it has got to be the bow and arrows. Ability to engage the zombies from a distance, and re-use the ammo.

Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books) (goodreadscomhermyoni) | 17 comments You could just as easily get splattered with blood pulling the arrow from zombies body. Bow is only good for distance shooting not for any sort of interaction with the dead.

message 11: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas | 4 comments I'd choose the shotgun, because as The Walking Dead has proven:
1) Guns have virtually no recoil.
2) There is a lot of ammo to be had as the characters who carry guns are hard pressed to run out (plus, like The Walking Dead, I'm located in the South where you get a gun just for taking out the trash).
3) Gunshots will attract zombies up to three at most, or none at all.
4) Zombies clutter in the hundreds to thousands only on highways.
5) It's really hard to damage a Hyundai or for dirt to accumulate on it.
6) Tanks are useless.

message 12: by Liz (new)

Liz Long (LizLongAuthor) | 18 comments Bow and arrow. You can make new arrows, if needed. You can use them from a distance. A machete is good, but opens you up to scratches and makes biting easier, too. Also, the machete could get stuck in a skull, leaving you weaponless.

You have to be close enough for them to see you to use a machete. Zombies just aren't that bright and may not see where an arrow comes from, giving you a better shot - so to speak - at escaping. And I think I'd be more likely to accidentally injure myself with a machete than a bow and arrows.

Plus, if you are properly outfitted, you'll have an arm guard that protects one arm from bites and scratches. ;-)

message 13: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot Machete...you can kill zombies, cut wood for all purposes, hack your way through forests, cut fruit from trees, make spears as extra weapons etc. It's quiet, doesn't need reloading, and some are pretty big...

message 14: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor | 2 comments Bow and arrow. I'd live deep in the forest where there are no people. No people equals no zombies, right? Then I'd hunt for birds, deer, and build an awesome shelter!

message 15: by Seanstorm721 (new)

Seanstorm721 | 4 comments Machete. I won't run out of ammo!! I also have a good swing:)

Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books) (goodreadscomhermyoni) | 17 comments I think many of you underestimate the skill needed to use a bow and arrow effectively.

message 17: by Seanstorm721 (new)

Seanstorm721 | 4 comments I took an archery class. It's impossible to aim nonetheless while running:)

message 18: by Donna (new)

Donna (donanicole) | 108 comments Machetes don't run out of bullets or arrows, don't make noise to draw more zombies and do the job well. On the other hand, a shot gun could be used as a silent weapon too, as a club.

message 19: by Liz (new)

Liz Long (LizLongAuthor) | 18 comments I have tried both firearms and archery. My shot groupings were more accurate, more quickly with a bow and arrow than a handgun. Reloading a shotgun takes longer than nocking another arrow on a bow. And I couldn't aim either one for squat while running.

I'm just not a firearms woman at heart.

message 20: by Donna (new)

Donna (donanicole) | 108 comments What about the noise? I too am a good archer and better shot with handgun. Shotguns spray and are not accurate.

message 21: by Jericho (new)

Jericho | 1 comments Machete

message 22: by Luke (last edited Apr 14, 2014 11:14PM) (new)

Luke Ahearn | 14 comments All three of those weapons suck but I would pick the machete and I will tell you why later. I was an archery teacher and hunted with both a recurve and compound bow and I wouldn't want one. You cannot easily make arrows for the recurve and you need special arrows for the compound bow. Both will crack a wooden arrow in half and drive it through your arm if you don't fire the arrow correctly and wear the right arm gear. Strings break and firing a bow is useless in close quarters. If a shambling zombie is far enough away I can avoid it. A shotgun is too noisy and runs out of ammo and they need to be cleaned. Can you take a shotgun apart and clean it and reassemble it? I would use the machete to make a suitable club type weapon. Anyway, just my opinion. :)

message 23: by Aaron W. (new)

Aaron W. Miller (amill016) | 10 comments Yeah, definitely a machete. No reloading, always there, easy to handle. And you can use a machete to gather firewood, clear a camping site, etc. etc.

message 24: by Florence (new)

Florence Witkop | 6 comments Machete can also be used to make additional weapons. Spear. Club. Trap. Etc.

message 25: by Aaron W. (new)

Aaron W. Miller (amill016) | 10 comments Good point

message 26: by Will (new)

Will Once (willonce) | 35 comments Hmm. Are we talking fast Nike zombies (as in World War Z and 28 days/months) or slow moany-shufflers (as in just about everything else)?

Is a head-shot an instakill or do we need to incapacitate the legion of the undead totally?

Are they infectious? Does just one nibble or a sloppy kiss mean one more of them and one less of us?

The point is this - if we really found ourselves in a zombie apocalypse, we'd first want to know what brand of zombie we were dealing with and what the ground rules are.

If you're faced with fast, infectious and resilient wockers, I'd go shotgun. You're going to want to keep your distance.

On the other hand, with slow, non-infectious and fragile-head biters, I'd say machete. No need to reload and no problems about running out of ammo.

And I'm really sorry for fans of the wocking dead but I can't see a situation when bow and arrows are going to hit the spot. Slow reload times, poor stopping power and much harder to aim than you might think.

All things considered, probably the best thing to have in a good pair of running shoes.

Mind you, if there was a zombie apocalypse, the other thing worth checking is whether you're in a short story, the first book in a trilogy or a multi-series TV show. And how long your contract is for.

message 27: by Harry (new)

Harry Manners (harrymanners) | 14 comments Ah, bow and arrow for me. Being a Brit, there would be a huge shortage of ammunition. And a machete requires you get far too close for my comfort.

If I was going to stand any kind of chance, I'd have to slither my way through the ruins playing stealth archer.

message 28: by Roger (last edited Jul 31, 2014 02:28PM) (new)

Roger Jackson It's difficult to hit a wobbly walking, head bobbing target like a zombie with an arrow. Since I live in the southern U.S., I'd choose a shotgun, pump-action fast reload. There is a limitless supply of ammo in these parts. You may not have to reload a machete, but if you have multiple targets, you don't want them all on you at the same time.

message 29: by S.K. (new)

S.K. Gregory | 3 comments a bow. Shoot from a distance. lol

message 30: by Curran (new)

Curran | 6 comments I wish I could say bow....but I don't think I would be able to properly aim under the immense pressure and anxiety of zombie apocalypse. So I think I'd tap into that anxiety and use the machete.

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Kendall | 1 comments Hmm... I would suck with a bow, by the time I got the arrow in and aimed id be dead. With a machete id have to be up close, but no reloading. Yeah, I'd have to go with machete

message 32: by Brittney (new)

Brittney | 6 comments bow and arrows. I already shoot a bow on a daily basis and i make my own arrows so that is the most logical solution for me.

message 33: by ken (new)

ken Robinson | 13 comments I would chose acrossbow it is quiet

message 34: by Will (new)

Will Once (willonce) | 35 comments I wonder ... would folk be so eager to choose medieval weaponry if it wasn't for Hunger Games?

Or Legolas?

Outside of Hollywood, a crossbow or arrow would be most likely to bounce off the hard bone of the skull leaving the brain unfortunately intact. Meanwhile the legion of undead is one shuffle closer to consuming your pink bits.

If most of us found ourselves mana a mano with a wocker and all we had was a crossbow, we would be far better off using it as a club to hit the aforementioned biter over the noggin.

And then leg it.

message 35: by ken (new)

ken Robinson | 13 comments I HAVE TO ADMIT THAT I OWN2 SHOTGUNS AND KEEP CIOSE BY AS MAJOR BACKUP|

message 36: by hIpnoticraQs (new)

hIpnoticraQs (raqnbelly) Machete

message 37: by Brendan (new)

Brendan Butts (brendan_butts) | 11 comments Machete. Aim for the head!

message 38: by Richard (new)

Richard Murray | 7 comments I would choose a machete. You can use that as a weapon and a tool. A bow can be made and if you need a shotgun, I am sure you will find some other person with one that you can take if you use the machete correctly.

message 39: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 45 comments I'd rather have a good rock or prospector's hammer:

With a machete, I'd be worried about it glancing off, or not disengaging from the zombie easily. And you'll need to keep it sharp.

The prospector's hammer has a nice tapered point, so entry and exit from the zombie's head should be easier. And it should be more maneuverable than a machete.

The question for me is how much penetration is needed, since the tapered point isn't that long? But if more penetration is needed, the machete might be an issue too, unless you have the time to hack away again and again.

But if a tiny arrow shaft is sufficient, then the tapered point of the prospector's hammer should be sufficient.

If you were being chased by 15 zombies, a bow might give you the ability to shoot from farther away, but if you don't have the opportunity to go back and get the arrows, you could have problems later on.

message 40: by Sean (new)

Sean McLachlan | 37 comments Personally I would choose the machete, but this spoken word performance makes a good case for a handheld weapon.

Love in the Time of Zombies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzSsWM...