Cozy Mysteries discussion

Reading Challenges > Feb 2014 - Mini Olympic Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 83 (83 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Feb 06, 2014 11:34AM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 1576 comments Mod
Okay ladies, I'm running late so this will be short and quick. Read as many or as few as you want.

The Winter Olympics start today in Sochi, Russia.

Read books with covers (or spines) with a main color matching one of the colors of the Olympic Rings, plus the flag background, or the color is a word in the title, or perhaps even an author's last name:

BLUE -

YELLOW -

BLACK -

GREEN -

RED -

WHITE -

Bonus: Read a book with an athlete in it, any book taking place in Russia, or having anything to do with the Olympics.

History of the Olympic Flag courtesy of Wikipedia:

The symbol of the Olympic Games is composed of five interlocking rings, colored blue, yellow, black, green, and red on a white field, known as the "Olympic rings". The symbol was originally designed in 1912 by Baron Pierre de Coubertin, co-founder of the modern Olympic Games. According to Coubertin, the ring colours with the white background stand for those colors that appeared on all the national flags that competed in the Olympic games at that time. Upon its initial introduction, Coubertin stated the following in the August, 1912 edition of Olympique:

"...the six colors [including the flag’s white background] thus combined reproduce the colors of all the nations, with no exception. The blue and yellow of Sweden, the blue and white of Greece, the tri- colors of France, England and America, Germany, Belgium, Italy, Hungary, the yellow and red of Spain next to the novelties of Brazil or Australia, with old Japan and new China. Here is truly an international symbol."

In his article published in the "Olympic Revue" the official magazine of the International Olympic Committee in November 1992, the American historian Robert Barney explains that the idea of the interlaced rings came to Pierre de Coubertin when he was in charge of the USFSA, an association founded by the union of two French sports associations and until 1925, responsible for representing the International Olympic Committee in France: The emblem of the union was two interlaced rings (like the vesica piscis typical interlaced marriage rings) and originally the idea of Swiss psychiatrist Carl Jung: for him, the ring symbolized continuity and the human being.

message 2: by Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews (last edited Feb 26, 2014 07:08PM) (new)

Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews (hugbandit7) | 170 comments DONE 2/26/14

Read books with covers (or spines) with a main color matching one of the colors of the Olympic Rings, plus the flag background, or the color is a word in the title, or perhaps even an author's last name:

BLUE - Back Forever by Karen Booth 2/20/14
YELLOW - Limoncello Yellow by Traci Andrighetti 2/16/14
BLACK - Working Stiff by Rachel Caine 2/26/14
GREEN - Tax Cut by Michele Lynn Seigfried 2/10/14
RED - Love, Lies & The D.A. by Rebecca Rohman 2/21/14
WHITE - Entangled by Ginger Voight 2/18/14

Bonus: Read a book with an athlete in it, any book taking place in Russia, or having anything to do with the Olympics.

Tax Cut by Michele Lynn Seigfried Working Stiff (Revivalist, #1) by Rachel Caine Entangled (Fullerton Family Saga, #2) by Ginger Voight Limoncello Yellow by Traci Andrighetti Back Forever by Karen Booth Love, Lies & the D.A. by Rebecca Rohman

message 3: by Beth (last edited Feb 25, 2014 08:23AM) (new)

Beth Revers | 52 comments Sounds fun!
BLUE -How to Paint a CatRebecca M. Hale How to Paint a Cat by Rebecca M. Hale Okay i am reaching with this one but the shadows are blue, the trees are blue and the paintbrush is blue

YELLOW -Murder Buys a T-shirtChristy FifieldMurder Buys a T-shirt Murder Buys a T-shirt (A Haunted Souvenir Shop Mystery #1) by Christy Fifield Okay some yellow, but the whole back is yellow!

BLACK -not a cozy, but Up From the Grave (Night Huntress, #7) by Jeaniene Frost Jeaniene FrostUp From the Grave

GREEN - The Goodbye BodyJoan Hess The Goodbye Body (Claire Malloy, #15) by Joan Hess

RED -

WHITE -

message 4: by Debbie (last edited Feb 07, 2014 06:50AM) (new)

Debbie (debbiegray) | 316 comments I'm in 1/?

BLUE -The Inner Circle the binding is all blue 2/5/14

YELLOW -

BLACK -

GREEN -

RED -

WHITE -
The Inner Circle by Brad Meltzer

message 5: by Betty (new)

Betty (bettylouise54) | 582 comments I will try this,challenge.
BLUE -

Yellow -

Black-

Green-

Red

White-

message 6: by Mary (Biblophile) (last edited Feb 15, 2014 06:03AM) (new)

Mary  (Biblophile) | 4517 comments Okay, I'm in.

6/6

BLUE - Winter at Death's Hotel...2/5/14

YELLOW - Dyeing Wishes...2/4/14

BLACK - A Hole in Juan: An Amanda Pepper Mystery (Amanda Pepper Mysteries...2/13/14

GREEN - Green Living Can Be Deadly..2/6/14

RED - Drizzled with Death...2/12/14

WHITE - Twin Killing...2/13/14

Dyeing Wishes (A Haunted Yarn Shop Mystery #2) by Molly MacRae Winter at Death's Hotel by Kenneth M. Cameron Green Living Can Be Deadly by Staci McLaughlin A Hole in Juan (An Amanda Pepper Mystery, #13) by Gillian Roberts Drizzled with Death (Sugar Grove Mystery, #1) by Jessie Crockett Twin Killing by Marshall Cook

message 7: by Nicole (last edited Mar 02, 2014 11:28AM) (new)

Nicole I'm in.

✔ BLUE - Nicci French - Blue Monday

✔ YELLOW - Elizabeth Corley - Fatal Legacy (my paperback edition has a yellowish cover and spine)

✔ BLACK - Peter May - The Blackhouse

✔ GREEN - Audur Ava olafsdottir - The Greenhouse

✔ RED - Sam Eastland - Eye of the Red Tsar - and this one is taking place in Russia.

WHITE - Philippa Gregory - The White Queen

Blue Monday (Frieda Klein, #1) by Nicci French Fatal Legacy (Andrew Fenwick, #2) by Elizabeth Corley The Greenhouse by Auður Ava Ólafsdóttir Eye of the Red Tsar (Inspector Pekkala, #1) by Sam Eastland The Blackhouse (Lewis Trilogy, #1) by Peter May

message 8: by Katherine (last edited Feb 13, 2014 06:03AM) (new)

Katherine Decker | 186 comments I'm in - I love the Olympics:

2/6 as of 2/13/14

BLUE - Nantucket Sawbuck: A Henry Kennis Mystery by Steven Axelrod 2/9/13 Nantucket Sawbuck A Henry Kennis Mystery by Steven Axelrod
YELLOW -
BLACK - The Dinosaur Feather by Sissel-Jo Gazan 2/10/14 The Dinosaur Feather by Sissel-Jo Gazan
GREEN -
RED -
WHITE -

message 9: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 3889 comments Mod
I'm in, and I hope you're doing well with the snow, briansgirl. Thank you by the challenge.

message 10: by Naomi (last edited Feb 17, 2014 12:37PM) (new)

Naomi (tribalcat) | 307 comments I'm in! 6/6 + Bonus DONE

BLUE - Chapter and Hearse by Lorna Barrett

YELLOW - Tears of the Giraffe by Alexander McCall Smith

BLACK - The Hides by Kealan Patrick Burke

GREEN - Quidditch Through the Ages by J.K. Rowling

RED - Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin

WHITE - Diary of the White Witch: A Witches of East End Prequel by Melissa de la Cruz

Bonus: The Romanov Prophecy by Steve Berry

message 11: by Laurie (last edited Feb 07, 2014 01:08AM) (new)

Laurie | 48 comments Sure, why not?

BLUE - Colour Scheme by Ngaio Marsh Colour Scheme (Roderick Alleyn, #12) by Ngaio Marsh

YELLOW -

BLACK -

GREEN -

RED -

WHITE -

message 12: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Sorry to disturb but... does anybody know the spine color of The Sayers Swindle ?
The Sayers Swindle by Victoria Abbott

message 13: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 7492 comments Looks like a good challenge - I'm in! Will have to look for some possible books this weekend.

February Mini Olympic Challenge

Red -

Blue - Tagged for Murder (A Molly Doyle Mystery #2) by Elaine Flinn finished 2/4/14

Green - Wild Goose Chase (A Quilting Mystery, #1) by Terri Thayer

Black -

Yellow -

White -

message 14: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Marisa wrote: "Sorry to disturb but... does anybody know the spine color of The Sayers Swindle ?
The Sayers Swindle by Victoria Abbott"

You can take the color off the front cover as well Marisa. Or the spine. (They don't always match, but it gives you more color options).

message 15: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Please note, since I started this a week late, anything you read in February can still be counted towards this challenge.

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) Marisa wrote: "Sorry to disturb but... does anybody know the spine color of The Sayers Swindle ?
The Sayers Swindle by Victoria Abbott"

It's the same red as the bottom of the front cover. :)

message 17: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Thank you very much, so red is on :D

message 18: by Melissa (last edited Mar 10, 2014 11:11AM) (new)

Melissa | 324 comments Feb 2014 - Mini Olympic Challenge
Progress: 6/6 - Done!

The Winter Olympics start today in Sochi, Russia.

BLUE - Chance of a Ghost - 2/8/14

YELLOW - The Great Reminder - 2/13/14

BLACK - The Spoken Word - 2/5/14

GREEN - Rotten to the Core - 2/16/14

RED - Sink Trap - 2/17/14

WHITE - All Fudged Up - 3/4/14

Bonus: Read a book with an athlete in it, any book taking place in Russia, or having anything to do with the Olympics. - The Hosanna Shout - 2/19/14 (The main character is an ex-NFL player and there is a football scene.)

Chance of a Ghost (Haunted Guesthouse Mystery, #4) by E.J. Copperman The Great Reminder (Moroni Traveler, #6) by Robert Irvine The Spoken Word (Moroni Traveler, #5) by Robert Irvine Rotten to the Core (Orchard Mystery, #2) by Sheila Connolly Sink Trap (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #1) by Christy Evans All Fudged Up by Nancy CoCo

message 19: by Marj (last edited Feb 23, 2014 03:36PM) (new)

Marj | 19 comments I'm going to try this.
FINISHED 2/18/2014!!

BLUE -The Wrong Rite--2/02/2014

YELLOW -The Yellow Room--2/13/2014

BLACK - Never Cross a Vampire--2/03/2014

GREEN -Invitation to Murder--2/12/2014

RED - The Nature of the Game--2/18/2014

WHITE -In the Heat of the Night--2/15/2014

Bonus: Read a book with an athlete in it, any book taking place in Russia, or having anything to do with the Olympics. I read A Fatal Grace-2/06/2014 where the death occurs during a curling tournament. I assume the curlers are considered athletes?

The Wrong Rite (A Madoc and Janet Rhys Mystery) by Alisa Craig The Yellow Room by Mary Roberts Rinehart Never Cross a Vampire (The Toby Peters Mysteries, 5) by Stuart M. Kaminsky The Nature of the Game by James Grady In the Heat of the Night by John Dudley Ball A Fatal Grace (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache #2) by Louise Penny

message 20: by Louise (last edited Feb 23, 2014 06:54PM) (new)

Louise | 4021 comments I'll give it a try!

BLUE - How the Light Gets In finished Feb. 8/14

YELLOW - Maisie Dobbs finished Feb. 22/14

BLACK - The Daughter Of Time finished Feb. 9/14

GREEN - The Beautiful Mystery- finished Feb. 6/14

RED - Of Grave Concern:: An Ophelia Wylde Paranormal Mystery finished Feb. 20/14

WHITE - The Dog Who Wouldn't Be finished Feb. 23/14

Bonus: Read a book with an athlete in it, any book taking place in Russia, or having anything to do with the Olympics: The Winter Queen - takes place in Russia (for the most part) - finished Feb. 14/14.

How the Light Gets In (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #9) by Louise Penny Maisie Dobbs (Maisie Dobbs, #1) by Jacqueline Winspear The Daughter Of Time by Josephine Tey The Beautiful Mystery (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #8) by Louise Penny Of Grave Concern An Ophelia Wylde Paranormal Mystery by Max McCoy The Dog Who Wouldn't Be by Farley Mowat The Winter Queen (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #1) by Boris Akunin

message 21: by Melanie (last edited Feb 22, 2014 08:09PM) (new)

Melanie (ladybugh) | 50 comments I'm going to give it a try. Although my reading will be curtailed by watching all the events!! Update Feb 19: Might make it ...now just to find a yellow book!

(Completed 7/7) DONE Feb 22nd - Just in time for the end of the Olympics.

BLUE - Styx and Stones by C. Dunn, Finished Feb 19/2014

YELLOW - Claire DeWitt and the City of the Dead Finished Feb 22/2014

BLACK - The Transfer by V. Roth Finished Feb 18/2014

GREEN - Evans Above by Rhys Bowen, Finished Feb 17/2014

RED - The Unfinished Clue by Georgette Heyer Finished Feb 12/2014

WHITE - A Particular Eye for Villainy by Ann Granger

Bonus: Read a book with an athlete in it, any book taking place in Russia, or having anything to do with the Olympics: Dead in the Water by Carola Dunn, Athletes - Rowing. Finished Feb 8/2014

Covers:
Styx and Stones (Daisy Dalrymple, #7) by Carola Dunn Claire DeWitt and the City of the Dead by Sara Gran Evans Above (Constable Evans, #1) by Rhys Bowen The Transfer (Divergent, #0.1) by Veronica Roth The Unfinished Clue by Georgette Heyer A Particular Eye for Villainy by Ann Granger Dead In The Water (Daisy Dalrymple, #6) by Carola Dunn

message 22: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

(1 / 6)

BLUE -

YELLOW -

BLACK -

GREEN -

RED - The Sayers Swindle by Victoria Abbott (01/09/2014 - ★★★★)

WHITE -

message 23: by Nell (last edited Feb 28, 2014 03:48PM) (new)

Nell | 1172 comments February Mini-Challenge
Winter Olympics

BLUE - To Davy Jones Below by Carola Dunn

YELLOW - Rattle His Bones by Carola Dunn

BLACK - Nothing But Trouble by Rachel Gibson

GREEN -

RED - A Mourning Wedding by Carola Dunn

WHITE - Die Laughing by Carola Dunn

BONUS: Read a book with athletes in its and Winter Olympic sport, ice hockey.
See Jane Score by Rachel Gibson

Rattle His Bones (Daisy Dalrymple, #8) by Carola Dunn See Jane Score (Chinooks Hockey Team, #2) by Rachel Gibson Nothing But Trouble (Chinooks Hockey Team, #5) by Rachel Gibson To Davy Jones Below (Daisy Dalrymple, #9) by Carola Dunn Die Laughing (Daisy Dalrymple, #12) by Carola Dunn A Mourning Wedding (Daisy Dalrymple, #13) by Carola Dunn

message 24: by Kimberly (last edited Feb 11, 2014 08:39AM) (new)

Kimberly (whatkreads) Blue:
Yellow: Shakespeare's Landlord - spine is yellow 2/11
Black:
Green:
Red:
White:

message 25: by Chris (last edited Feb 28, 2014 09:36AM) (new)

Chris Curtis (cjccur) | 68 comments BLUE - Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth
YELLOW - Fifteen Minutes by Karen Kingsbury
BLACK - Peete and Repeat (The Frannie Shoemaker Campground Mysteries, #3) by Karen Musser Nortman
GREEN -
RED -
WHITE -

message 26: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 324 comments Finished! This was a cool challenge, thanks Briansgirl! I like the Olympic theme and I think it was the first challenge I've done based on color. :)

message 27: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Congrats, Melissa! A fast reading, keeping with the theme ;)

Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews (hugbandit7) | 170 comments Congrats Melissa...I'm still trying to get to books that work in this challenge!

message 29: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Congrats Melissa!

message 30: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (last edited Feb 18, 2014 02:44PM) (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 19743 comments Mod
I've just completed my last book for the challenge.

BLUE: Up From the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

YELLOW: The Begonia Bribe by Alyse Carlson

BLACK: The Beast in the Jungle by Henry James

GREEN: The Last Boyfriend by Nora Roberts

RED: Ragged Dick by Horatio Alger Jr.

WHITE: The Next Always by Nora Roberts
(It's hard to tell by the thumbnail, but cover is mostly white)

BONUS: Athlete -- Heaven and Earth by Nora Roberts

Up From the Grave (Night Huntress, #7) by Jeaniene Frost The Begonia Bribe by Alyse Carlson The Beast in the Jungle (Dodo Press) by Henry James The Last Boyfriend (Inn BoonsBoro, #2) by Nora Roberts Ragged Dick by Horatio Alger Jr. The Next Always (Inn BoonsBoro, #1) by Nora Roberts Heaven and Earth (Three Sisters Island, #2) by Nora Roberts

message 31: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Congrats, Heather!

message 32: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

(3 / 6)

BLUE -

YELLOW - Dying on the Vine by Aaron Elkins (02/18/2014 - ★★★★)

BLACK -

GREEN - Mrs. Jeffries and the Feast of St. Stephen by Emily Brightwell (02/15/2014 - ★★★★)

RED - The Sayers Swindle by Victoria Abbott (01/09/2014 - ★★★★)

WHITE -

message 33: by Poongothai (last edited Feb 24, 2014 05:32AM) (new)

Poongothai (poongsa) Duration : 1 Feb to 28 Feb 2014
Completed : 6/6
BLUE - Catch of the Day by Kristan Higgins

YELLOW - The Help by Kathryn Stockett

BLACK - A Caribbean Mystery (Miss Marple, #10) by Agatha Christie

GREEN - Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen

RED - Keeper of the Dream by Penelope Williamson

WHITE - Bound by Your Touch by Meredith Duran

Bonus: Read a book with an athlete in it, any book taking place in Russia, or having anything to do with the Olympics -

message 34: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Thanks Marisa! :)

message 35: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Congrats Heather! And everyone else who may have finished...

One more book then I will be joining you :)

message 36: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Thanks, Leslie. Done yet? :D

message 37: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (ladyvictoria5) | 218 comments This was a sweet challenge and was easy to find books on my TBR shelf to complete it.

Blue: A Christmas Homecoming by Anne Perry
Yellow: Tres Leches by Josi S. Kilpack
Black: Moche Warrior by Lyn Hamilton
Green: A Friendly Game of Murder by J.J. Murphy
Red: Red Velvet Cupcake Murder by Joanne Fluke
White: Murder, She Wrote: Gin and Daggers by Donald Bain

message 38: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Vicky wrote: "This was a sweet challenge and was easy to find books on my TBR shelf to complete it."

Way to go, Vicky!

Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews (hugbandit7) | 170 comments congrats to everyone that has finished...I've got my books and just have to finish the last 2.

message 40: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Done! 2/21

BLUE - Greenmantle (done 2/8) {not a mystery}

YELLOW - Spy Killer (done 2/11) {audiobook}

BLACK - Hamlet, Revenge! (done 2/14)

GREEN - The Cruelest Month (done 2/7), or The Wench Is Dead (done 2/19)

RED - Outrage (done 2/1)

WHITE - From Russia with Love (done 2/21)

Bonus: Read a book with an athlete in it, any book taking place in Russia, or having anything to do with the Olympics - see above WHITE book

Greenmantle by Charles de Lint Spy Killer by L. Ron Hubbard Hamlet, Revenge! (Sir John Appleby #2) by Michael Innes The Cruelest Month (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #3) by Louise Penny The Wench Is Dead (Inspector Morse, #8) by Colin Dexter Outrage by Arnaldur Indriðason From Russia with Love by Ian Fleming

message 41: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Yay, congrats Leslie!

message 42: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Congrats, Leslie!

message 43: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (ladybugh) | 50 comments Just finished! Just in time for the end of the Olympics tomorrow. Oh I am going to go through withdrawal. I just love all the events.

message 44: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Congrats, Melanie!

message 45: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

This month I'm afraid I'm not going to complete it. My best, I hope, will be another two: white and blue, but no black for sure.

message 46: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Congrats, Melanie!

message 47: by Louise (new)

Louise | 4021 comments Nice work on your Mini Olympic challenge Melanie!

message 48: by Marj (new)

Marj | 19 comments Done! Enjoyed this mini-challenge!

message 49: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Congrats Vickie, Melanie & Marj! Marisa, 4 or 5 out of 6 isn't bad :)

message 50: by Louise (new)

Louise | 4021 comments Finished! This was a fun challenge.

« previous 1