Tudor History Lovers discussion

Group Reads > Poll Closed - Group Read for March 2014

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments It struck me it was time to open nominations for a group read for March.

This time we're having a "War of the Roses" special, for those interesting-looking books that are just a tad too early to be considered "Tudor." Roughly 1460-1485 or so, in setting. Henry VI, Margaret of Anjou, Edward IV, Elizabeth Woodville, Richard III, the Princes in the Tower, etc.

Once we get enough nominations, I'll open a poll.

Two nominations to a person, please.

What book about the later Plantagenets would y'all like to read?

message 3: by Ariel (new)

Ariel | 19 comments I thought this looked like an interesting book. The Woodvilles: the wars of the roses and England's most infamous family

message 4: by Elena (new)

Elena | 73 comments The book about the Woodvilles really look great!
I nominate The Queen of Last Hopes: The Story of Margaret of Anjou and The Kingmaker's Daughter.

message 5: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 29 comments The book by Susan Higgenbothen on the Woodvilles looks good I have it here and haven't read it yet. Please tell me that the February book on Mary Boleyn gets better. The first chapters are on which sister is older and when did their parents get married! Actually pretty boring so far. I will try and keep with it. Could it be that their isn't much out thereon her life?

message 6: by Sicillia (new)

Sicillia | 4 comments The Woodville's by Susan Higginbotham.
The Queen of Last Hopes, by Susan Higginbotham

Stormbird, is not due to be released in America until July 8th. But that looks great

message 7: by V.E. (new)

V.E. Lynne | 4 comments Blood Sisters: The Women Behind The Wars of the Roses by Sarah Gristwood
The Queen of Last Hopes by Susan Higginbotham

message 8: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samanthajw) | 91 comments Oops, I guess I've just seen UK friends talking about Stormbird.

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan (suereadsbooks) Perkin by Anne Wroe or The Last White Rose by Desmond Seward. Both books are interesting for their investigation into the impact of the unresolved mystery of the princes in the Tower upon the new Tudor dynasty as it fought to establish its right to rule. I love a good historical mystery.

message 10: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sandillajoan) | 5 comments I just picked up "The Woodvilles" by Susan Higginbotham. I've never read her before and would love to!

message 11: by Jo (new)

Jo March | 22 comments Not sure if this technically counts as Tudor or Plantagenet, but The Perfect Prince The Mystery of Perkin Warbeck and His Quest for the Throne of England by Ann Wroe

message 12: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 9 comments The Stolen Crown by Susan Higginbotham

message 13: by happy (last edited Feb 06, 2014 01:40AM) (new)

happy (happyone) | 106 comments Carolyn wrote: "The book by Susan Higgenbothen on the Woodvilles looks good I have it here and haven't read it yet. Please tell me that the February book on Mary Boleyn gets better. The first chapters are on wh..."

I'm sorry to say this but, IMO - Nope it doesn't

I tend to agree that there just isn't enough source material to do a decent biography on most mediveal women.

message 14: by happy (new)

happy (happyone) | 106 comments Jo wrote: "Not sure if this technically counts as Tudor or Plantagenet, but The Perfect Prince The Mystery of Perkin Warbeck and His Quest for the Throne of England by Ann Wroe"

That one looks good - on the TBR list it goes - group read or not :)

message 15: by Tiffany (last edited Feb 06, 2014 04:29AM) (new)

Tiffany Day | 71 comments I'd really love a non-Phillipa Gregory fiction~

(but I'm still plodding away at Elizabeth of York, so... *sigh*

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments Carolyn wrote: "The book by Susan Higgenbothen on the Woodvilles looks good I have it here and haven't read it yet. Please tell me that the February book on Mary Boleyn gets better. The first chapters are on wh..."

My guess: not enough surviving documentary evidence.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments Anyone else have any suggestions? I'll probably close nominations and set up a poll tomorrow.

message 18: by Duane (new)

Duane (tduaneparkeryahoocom) | 11 comments The Reluctant Queen: The Story of Anne of York.
Jean Plaidy

message 19: by Cindy (new)

message 20: by Mary (new)

Mary | 69 comments I'm currently reading "The Stolen Crown". Haven't read Higginbotham before, but have a few of her books on my Wish List. This one is good so far!

message 22: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads, Mod #4 (last edited Feb 15, 2014 08:36AM) (new)