Start by marking “Stormbird (Wars of the Roses, #1)” as Want to Read:
Stormbird (Wars of the Roses, #1)

Stormbird

(Wars of the Roses #1)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  11,306 ratings  ·  1,033 reviews
King Henry V - the great Lion of England - is long dead.

In 1437, after years of regency, the pious and gentle Henry VI, the Lamb, comes of age and accedes to the English throne. His poor health and frailty of mind render him a weakling king -Henry depends on his closest men, Spymaster Derry Brewer and William de la Pole, Duke of Suffolk, to run his kingdom.

Yet there are th
Published October 10th 2013 by Michael Joseph

To ask other readers questions about Stormbird, please sign up.
Adam Lawrence Hi, Raghu! If you haven't already started it anyway, I'd say... go for it! No, you really don't need any background knowledge because a lot of the boo…moreHi, Raghu! If you haven't already started it anyway, I'd say... go for it! No, you really don't need any background knowledge because a lot of the book centres around Derry Brewer, who is completely fictitious. This is Iggulden's way of "filling in the blanks": he creates an intriguing character to guide the reader through the 15th century Britain.

I often check wikipedia AFTER reading a historical fiction novel as then it all makes much more sense to me! Personally, I think fiction does a much better job of making history memorable than most "dry history" books do!(less)
Greg The series is very close to being historically accurate. Iggulden always has a section at the end where he explains which parts are facts and where he…moreThe series is very close to being historically accurate. Iggulden always has a section at the end where he explains which parts are facts and where he needed to add fiction. But overall, the characters and events are very real and it is another great read from this author.(less)

·  11,306 ratings  ·  1,033 reviews

Start your review of Stormbird (Wars of the Roses, #1)
Sean Barrs
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I think the style of Iggulden’s writing made this novel what it is. He shows us each character’s situation in a manner that suggests that there is no right or wrong. Both sides of the war had a reason to fight, and the author’s portrays this is a completely neutral manner; thus, he leaves it up to the reader to decide if they follow the white rose or the red rose into battle, and the nest of court politics. Personally, I was rooting for the house of York. Duke Richard only wanted what was best f ...more
Dana Ilie
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you like Historical Fiction, Conn Iggulden is your man.
happy
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
While this novel is purported to be about the Wars of the Roses, Mr. Iggulden has set it in the time of the fall of the English Kingdom of France in the late 1440s and the civil unrest that followed. That said he introduces many of the real life characters that rose to prominence during those wars. They include Richard of York, descended on both sides from Edward III and father of the later Yorkist Kings, the reigning King - Henry VI and his wife Margret of Anjou, and the Neville family – includ ...more
Al George
Apr 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lancaster / York - A Game of Roses

Setting / Time / Genre: 15th Century England and France

Length: 507 pages of throwing down the historical mike

Series: Yes. Two more re the War of the Roses - all you Game of Thrones people, take note. There's some history here you should be knowing.

Sexy times: Not that kind of book. So that would be a no. I mean sex happens because we are talking kings and kingly lineages and how screwed up things got...but please.

Plan on reading more by the author: Yup. I lov
Alice Poon
Sep 14, 2016 rated it liked it

This is the first novel in the “War of the Roses” series by Conn Iggulden.

The author skillfully weaves the bodacious actions of two main fictitious characters (Derry Brewer, the King’s spymaster, and Thomas Woodchurch, a commoner living in Maine, France) with some pivotal historical events that took place under the reign of Henry VI of England.

Part One deals with Derry Brewer’s political machinations initiated on Henry’s behalf with the aim of bringing about a lasting truce with France. He thro
Andy
Yeah..... Well it's like this.....Hmmmmm...... What to make of it really is the fact of the matter.

For one, if you should accept this challenge (War of the Roses) then you're in it for the longhaul as this book jus stops. no cliffhangers here! I found it started very well & the opening exchanges between the factions were entertaining & incitefull as to the period & the beginnings of the War of the Roses & then well..... it got a little disjointed as no sooner you were warming to a thread/charact
Marquise
The book is readable and very easy to get into because of the fluid pace and style, but lacks substance. It's a "light" type of plotting that doesn't care much for accuracy nor invests much in characterisation.

It had a curious, and irritating, authorial choice related to addressing lords in a way that wasn't the fashion back then, like calling Richard, Duke of York simply "Lord York," or "Lord Suffolk" for William, Duke of Suffolk. It'd be easy to overlook, but Iggulden continues with the misnom
Sayan
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historic-fiction
E. P. I. C. In every sense. Awesome battles, great plot and near accurate history. Conn Iggulden gave a great story on the War of Roses. I couldn't stop once I started to turn the pages.

The story is of the historical war between two noble houses of England . The House of Lancaster and the House of York. The famous rift that was known as the War of Roses. Which in turn inspired the very famous George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire.

England was ruled by the once fierce warrior king, Edward
Teresa
Jul 18, 2013 rated it liked it
This is my first venture into Iggulden territory. I've avoided his writing before as I've tended to associate him with “books for boys” - an association which was reaffirmed with the publication of The Dangerous Book for Boys which he co-wrote with his brother Hal. However, Stormbird attracted me as I find the War of the Roses a particularly intriguing historical period peopled with really engaging characters.

Having now read the novel, I can confirm it is a book for boys, filled with derring-do,
Dawn
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
I rushed right through Stormbird in a day.

Appreciated a lot about the book. There are extensive historical notes and family trees. All interesting and helpful. Good characters were to be found in Margaret of Anjou, Thomas Woodchurch, Derry Brewer & Lord Suffolk. The POV from the Frenchmen was well done. Nice to have more than one side of things.

Still ended up with only a 2 star from me. Parts of the story felt too slow. Especially the section about the marriage of Margaret and Henry. The negot
Deborah Pickstone
Finally, I settled to read some Conn Iggulden - best seller of HF, UK writer so shouldn't get too annoyed by the vernacular (as can happen when glaring misnomens happen). Experienced writer so new series beginning should be at the top of his powers.

Absolutely dreadful.

Including the misnomen issue. Lord York? Tut.

Characterisation = caricature or possibly cartoon. Gratuitous violence and torture. Pointless side stories.

Drat! Such promising material too! And reading the author's note, well-research
Emma
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teaching
An interesting start with only a little of the bloody politics to come....

review to follow
Lisa
Dec 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
As my first Iggulden book, I had high expectations. Perhaps I have been spoilt by the likes of Bernard Cornwall. The period itself is fascinating, which is why I chose it. The intrigue, the back room deals, the kings illness, the rebellion. It was such a tumultuous time for England! There were some standout characters: Derry, Margaret and Suffolk, were probably my favourites. I think for me, not having a thorough knowledge of this period, perhaps I wanted more detail about the characters and why ...more
L
Jun 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
An exciting new historical novel which brings the past vividly to life, in all its bloodthirsty glory.

Stormbird is the thrilling new novel by bestselling, accomplished author Conn Iggulden (author of Caesar and Genghis Khan Series). Refreshingly original and compelling the extraordinary ‘war of the roses’ is captured accurately on the page, transforming historical fact into a fictional masterpiece. Colorful, vibrant and atmospheric I was greatly impressed by how Iggulden gets to the core of the
Cora Tea Party Princess
This is not a full review - this review pertains only to the 5-chapter sample won via Goodreads First Reads.

I'm a sucker for historical novels, and this is a good start. I could picture everything perfectly, I could feel the chill in the air.

The most poignant moment in those five chapters was definitely the deathbed scene in that first chapter. I felt really sorry for Alice, the way his sons disregarded her despite her obvious love for the king.

I've applied for the full book, and hope I get it.
Mark Harrison
Very good start to a series of Britain's own Game of Thrones. Lots of factions plotting the downfall of King Henry VI. He has an idiot spymaster whose plans are so stupid you would not believe leading to revolution in France and at home. Liked Suffolk and the 14.year old Margaret of Anjou who is the only clear thinker in the monarchy. Promising start to four book series.
Tony Riches
Oct 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Conn Iggulden was interviewed by Mariella Frostrup for the BBC programme 'Open Book' recently and said, "The wonderful thing about historical fiction is it has to entertain and inform." Stormbird is the first in his new series about the Ward of the Roses and certainly achieves both.
I've read quite a few books about this period but this the first to explore what it must have been like for the English settlers who suddenly found their lands in France had been given back to the French. Conn keeps
Susan
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book and can’t wait till I get the second book in the series ☺️
Beorn
Oct 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is Iggulden at his finest. Notably his best book yet!

One thing I took from his previous two series, the Caesar led Emperor novels and the Mongol centred saga, was that his style felt very grand, detailed and rich in detail yet somehow a little detached from the action. By that I mean, although there was elements of getting inside key characters minds, by and large it felt as if it were written by an observer, or an outsider rather than someone palpably in the middle of the action.

This first
Karla
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Supremely enjoyable first installment with enough blending of fact and fiction, historical characters and Iggulden's own creations, to prevent the story getting bogged down in over-familiar historical trudgery. How many times can you read the same story about the same people? <= the main flaw of Philippa Gregory's WOTR series IMO

He's not afraid to have real people kick up some high-flying dramatic fuss, condense timelines, or ignore facts that would drag down pacing or inflate the cast to ridicu
B the BookAddict
Nov 18, 2014 rated it liked it

Not a proper review, just a few comments.

I found the book to be vaguely unsatisfying. It has a long list of characters with lots of names I did not know. Iggulden doesn't specify which are real and which are fictional which is a huge shame. Quite a few gory descriptions of battle and torture which I could have done without. At very few intervals, he heads a chapter with a date specification so sometimes it's unclear just when things are happening. Overall, the book feels very much like a Fictio
Melanie (Mel's Bookland Adventures)
A good historical novel that explains how the War of the Roses began. A bit lengthy and slow in parts but impressed with the telling of the various timelines and bringing them together.
Paola
Jun 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book so much and learned more about the start of the war of roses, a weak king can't succeed and expect loyalty, because people will try to depose him, and because of that, this war between different members of the royal family begins, cousin against cousin, in order to obtain and keep the throne....
Anna
Apr 03, 2015 marked it as did-not-finish
DNF. Too blokey for me. Shouldn't have been a surprise - a bloke writing about blokey things - but it needed a few more women in swishy frocks to unbloke the blokeyness.

Ah well, blokey is as blokey does.
Ivie dan Glokta
Jun 10, 2014 rated it liked it
I remember my first novel by Conn Iggulden donkeys years ago. The first of the Emperor series, and I must admit I didn't know who he was. I loved Roman history so anything on Caesar would be good. My flight was long and nothing else seemed as tempting. By the time I landed, I knew the author to be brilliant writer and promptly bought the rest of the series while I was still at the airport.

History made Caesar into a great man. Conn Iggulden made him into a hero. I did not want the series to end.
Jane
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The story begins in 1437, with Henry VI, coming of age ascending to the English throne. This is the first book in the trilogy series and is a whopper of a read. The author cleverly entwines fact and fiction.
This feels very much like a block buster in the same genre as Ken Follet.
The author really has captured this turbulent period in history and this urges the reader to read more about the actual history of this period.
The Wars of the Roses was a series of dynastic wars fought between supporter
Yorkshiresoul
Jul 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is my first encounter with Conn Iggulden's writing and it certainly won't be the last. I found Iggulden's fictionalised narrative of the events leading up to the War of the Roses both enthralling and exciting.

Stormbird holds a wealth of realistic characters, from the brave Engligh archer Thomas Woodchurch, the conniving but likeable Derry Brewer and the emerging strength of character of the new English queen Iggulden handles them all well, creating a believable cast filled with opposing and
Wanda
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, ibooks
14 OCT 2015 - I can already tell this book is going to keep me up past my bedtime. Derry Brewer is filled with trickery.

17 OCT 2015 - I liked this a lot! I read at every opportunity - past bedtime, lunch breaks, and between assignments (don't tell!). I look forward to Nos. 2 and 3.
James 'Eagle'
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
Stormbird: An Opinionated View of History.

When I look back at history and the figures instrumental in making events worthy of record, I like to have an unbiased view. I mean really, can any of us truly judge those living in a completely different culture, society, and time to what we live in now? And how can any of us purport to be able to know what individuals were thinking of and planning six centuries ago? We obviously cannot.

I know that historical fiction is exactly that: fiction. And the e
Samantha
This was one of my most anticipated books to read this year, and it did not disappoint.

I have never read a Wars of the Roses novel that was so complete in its description of why battle actually broke out. Beginning with a prologue that placed Edward III on his death bed, surrounded by his three remaining sons, Iggulden sets the stage for family drama. Throughout the novel, as Richard of York makes his quiet play for power, the words of Edmund of Langley to his brother John of Gaunt echo through
Fanatieke Nederla...: Maandboek augustus: Stormvogel 24 84 Sep 02, 2020 04:14AM

• The Woodvilles: The Wars of the Roses and England's Most Infamous Family
  • 1356 (The Grail Quest, #4)
  • Sword and Scimitar
  • Agincourt
  • The Blooding (Master of War, #1)
  • Sword of Kings (The Saxon Stories, #12)
  • Divided Souls (Kingmaker, #3)
  • The Last Kingdom (The Saxon Stories, #1)
  • Broken Faith (Kingmaker, #2)
  • Vagabond (The Grail Quest, #2)
  • War of the Wolf (The Saxon Stories, #11)
  • Fields of Glory (The Vintener Trilogy #1)
  • Under the Eagle (Eagle #1)
  • Shiang
  • The Wars of the Roses
  • Marvel Chronicle
  • The Archer's Tale (The Grail Quest, #1)
  • Kingdom Come (Kingmaker, #4)
Also publishes under author name C.F. Iggulden.

I was born in the normal way in 1971, and vaguely remember half-pennies and sixpences. I have written for as long as I can remember: poetry, short stories and novels. It’s what I always wanted to do and read English at London University with writing in mind. I taught English for seven years and was Head of English at St. Gregory’s RC High School in Lo

Wars of the Roses (4 books)
  • Trinity (Wars of the Roses, #2)
  • Bloodline (Wars of the Roses, #3)
  • Ravenspur: Rise of the Tudors (The Wars of the Roses, #4)