The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1) The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer discussion

What gives them their ability?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly (last edited Feb 05, 2014 07:41AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kelly So here is my question:
What is the nature of their ability?
It appears to be that Mara and Noah are clearly not of a vampiric nature, but what are they?
I saw just a tad element of twilight in the story and was thinking that maybe they were vampire…But that notion soon faded. I currently do not have enough to go on to come up with a new theory.

What are your theories?

This discussion is for those of us who have only read the first book, please no spoilers from those of you who have read the other two books. Much appreciated. :)

Cassidy I was also similarly confused! It's like the author intended it to be a love story, and then threw in a touch of paranormal happenings almost as an after thought. This left me very puzzled and I have no theories as to what happened to them that made them the way they are,. I'm not sure about Noah, but I don't think Mara was born with it, seeing as how her paranormal episodes started with her bringing the asylum down... If someone could please shed some light, I'd be so grateful! :)

Kelly I am not really confused about anything in the story, I was just curious as to what others thought might be the nature of their abilities. :)

Also just remembered I forgot to mention that when Mara's birthday was mentioned as being on March 16th (I think it was) I wondered if there was maybe any significance to it? Is there any connection to her ability and what is with her reluctance to even bring her birthday up? (or it was simply due to the trauma and the stress of moving...I have gone a bit fuzzy on what the case with that was)

message 4: by Nicci (last edited Feb 11, 2014 04:55AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nicci I have an idea. I think it has some sort of connection with 'black magic'. Well she does have her Indian descent. (?) Which was amongst the oldest civilizations and yeah, practically they knew stuffs that aren't for everyone. And Maybe her grandmother knows the what's and ifs of black magic as well. So It started from there.

And it was said in the 'letter' in the beginning that it somehow started during Rachel's birthday. That was when she started touching an 'element' that has connection with black magic. The number 213 has some sort of significance as well. Remember that was the room number at the asylum where Jude 'assaulted' Mara? Miss Morales' room number was 213 too. And I think there was another but I forgot.

Kelly beatriz wrote: "I have an idea. I think it has some sort of connection with 'black magic'. Well she does have her Indian descent. (?) Which was amongst the oldest civilizations and yeah, practically they knew stu..."

Yeah, I do strongly think it has something to do with “Magic” of some sort considering the mysteriously vanishing shop she and Noah went to for that so-called seminar. I did notice that there was something about the room #213 and am wondering what that might be…
And then there was the Ouija board incident, they really should not have been messing with the Ouija board, there was the foreshadowing of something to come that of course they did not take seriously at the time.

I do also believe that it all might be somehow tied in with her lineage. I suspect that her mother might know what is truly going on with her but just has not come to believe or except it and I almost forgot she is of Indian decent through her grandmother.