Start by marking “The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1)

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

(Mara Dyer #1)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  168,324 ratings  ·  17,202 reviews
Mara Dyer doesn’t think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.

It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can’t remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.

There is.

She doesn’t believe that after everything she’s been through, she can fall in love.

She’s wrong.
Published September 27th 2011 by Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Book_Lover_8 Oh, he's definitely real. …moreOh, he's definitely real. (less)
Renee Yes there is. A typical I hate boy but I end up loving him scene.

·  168,324 ratings  ·  17,202 reviews

Start your review of The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1)
Emily May
Jul 13, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: pnr, young-adult, 2013
Warning: this review contains flashing gifs and foul language.

I've spent two years avoiding this book. I remember in 2011 when I stumbled across that exciting GR description and pretty - if slightly creepy and discomfiting - cover, but my initial curiosity was quickly dampened by the reviews from my trusted goodreads friends. And for nearly two years, I have listened. My intentions were to never give this book/series another thought, until I recently came across this interesting page: 15 Young A
Tatiana
May 13, 2011 rated it did not like it
Well, let me get this out of the way - The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer has nothing whatsoever in common with The Adoration of Jenna Fox, even though their publisher-provided plot descriptions are almost identical. What it is similar to is the infamous bestseller Hush, Hush, but it is just a tad less offensive. So, if you are a fan of that novel, The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is your next natural reading choice.

I'll attempt to refrain from excessive ranting here, but, goodness, this novel is just as ba
Wendy Darling
1.5 stars Welcome to yet another teen romance masquerading as a paranormal novel. If you’re like me, you’ve been salivating to read this book for months because of the breathtaking cover—and of course, the premise of a girl waking up in a hospital with no memory of how her friends were killed is pretty intriguing. I’m sorry to say, however, that the maddening phenomenon I’m calling “cover fraud” strikes again, since this is another book whose interior does not live up to its beautiful cover art. ...more
Chelsea Humphrey
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
After feeling this was a 3 Star read (based on content) that I had a 5 Star time reading, I decided to meet in the middle with a 4 Star Rating. 😂 Just go with it. All you Mara Dyer haters out there, I get it, there are all the same issues here that people had with Twilight and all the other hyped teen paranormal books of the era. I found them too, but I was prepared going in; I didn’t pick this up until after everyone else had already read it so I knew that these books set feminism back about 10 ...more
Kat
Jun 02, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
im not even going to try and pretend like i think this book holds up against the test of time, but i also never said i had good taste. middle school nostalgia, ya feel?

in conclusion, i love my foul mouthed murderess and her trusty smuthound.
Steph Sinclair

Hmm...Where do I even start with this book? I guess I should start by saying The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer and I have this awkward love/hate relationship. If this book were a person, it'd be the boyfriend I sometimes had fun with, but never wanted to take with me in public because I knew he would do something stupid and embarrass the hell outta me. For majority of the first half of the book, I wanted to stomp it into the ground with my pair of patent leather pumps. However, somewhere along the lin
"That's All" Ash
 photo download-17.jpg

This is THE best book I’ve ever read.

I don’t rate my books one star to five stars. I rate my books one-star to “The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer.”

People always want to know what my absolute hands-down favorite book is. And it’s funny because when they ask, they always give me that good minute-long silence for me to think it over. But I never need a minute. And I probably never will.

This is my favorite book.

This book is my trump card whenever my friends and I are talking about the most amazing
emma
Well, this book didn’t exactly age like a fine wine!!!!

This is the wearing-eyeliner-on-your-bottom-lid-but-not-your-top of books. The I Heart Justin Bieber graphic tee of series start-offs. The Twilight of YA fantasy paranormal romance. Wait. Twilight is the Twilight of that.

Anyway.

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer has all those fresh fresh 2011 tropes we knew and loved back in the day, and they...do not look clean as a whistle in the harsh light of modernity.

Yo
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
You know when you read a book and you can stop rolling your eyes and think “I’m too old for this shit”?!
Well, that was me reading this book.

The premise was interesting. A girl uses a ouija board with her friend. She wakes up in the hospital not remembering how her best friend died. Paranormal things start happening…

But there were so many bad YA tropes I just couldn’t deal.

Conversations that would never happen between teenagers (come on nobody will quote a few sentences from Lolita just like th
megs_bookrack ((is on vacation))
**4.5-stars**

Oh, my goodness, this was so enticing!

I had no idea what to expect going into The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. It is a series I hear mentioned all the time, but literally knew nothing about.

One of those, 'everyone has read it but me' series. The one you hear EVERYONE talking about but just cannot relate.

For 2019, I created a TBR jar to help clear off some of my backlist titles and this was the first book I pulled. I knew that I would either love it or hate.

Luckily, for me, I truly enj
Katerina
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
“But without my big mouth, no one would know that a seventeen-year-old who likes Death Cub for Cutie was responsible for the murders. No one would know that somewhere out there is a B student with a body count. And it's important that you know, so you're not next.”

This book messed with my sanity. It teased it, played with it and then tossed it aside and left me trying to gather my wits, something that felt like catching feathers in a tornado. Impossible.

I was very hesitant to start t
jessica
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
oh, hey there, noah shaw. welcome to my harem of book boyfriends. ;)

also, you know how they say good althetes sacrifice their bodies for their sport? well, good authors will sacrifice their minds. and michelle, sis. im worried about you. because this is beyond psychotic. lol.

Lori
Sep 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I truly have no idea where to even start. I'm sure if I just said 'Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow' over and over again that it would get my point across just fine, but that might be a little repetitive and inarticulate. I'm going to try to get my very gushing thoughts in order for you guys.

When I opened the pages of The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer I had no idea what to expect. The synopsis really doesn't give you much, and I like it that way. The vague synopsis, the eerie cover, and the fantastic titl
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
SPOILER FREE REVIEW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fQpa...

People have been recommending this to me for ages and I just decided to pick it up on a whim recently and oh my freaking god, this was amazing. I flew through this and literally had to force myself to put it down and get some sleep.. it was that good. The characters were amazing, the plot was amazing, the writing was amazing, IT WAS SO GOOD. It really wasn't what I was expecting but in the best possible way. I'll film a more coherent r
John Egbert

description

Replace "with you and Jade i guess?" to "with The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer?" and the reply can stay the same.

Yes. I went there.

Warning

description
(Yes I am actually aware of how juvenile that was.)

There will be no love for Mara Dyer here. If you have a problem with that, I suggest you go read another review. The funniest part is that whenever I make a warning like this it ends up getting ignored and I'm trolled anyway, but hey, it was worth a shot, right?

Right?

Also, because I can't be fucked to individual
L A i N E Y
Shit Shit Shit Noah effing Shaw Shit Shit Shit Shit

Damn you for making me squeal like an idot in front of other people!

Damn you.

For the past week I must have started close to a dozen books and this was the only one that I came back to and actually held my attention. I don't want to jinx it by proclaiming it had broke me out of my month-long slump because really it's too early to tell but what I can definitely say is my attention didn't waver the whole day I was reading the book.

Drat did I
Cait
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
I’m on BookTube now! =)

”I wanted to scream, but I closed my eyes and forced myself to breathe. Claire was dead. She was not in my bathroom, and there was nothing to be scared of. My mind was playing tricks on me. I was going to go to a party tonight, and I needed to get dressed. One thing at a time.”

I heard so much about the “Mara Dyer” series before I picked it up and because I’m always curious about books that seem to be so controversial I decided to satisfy my curiosity by just reading it. So
Aj the Ravenous Reader

I’m definitely with Aunt Cassie (Clare) on this book. It’s completely romantic and intriguing, I was definitely drawn in from beginning till end and I did not expect that I’d like this book that much. It probably has a lot to do with Noah who had me swooning from scalp to toenails. I think I have a new book boyfriend!

I’m sure the plot wasn’t perfectly played and I definitely spotted loopholes in the storyline but you don’t get to read a lot of good paranormal stories these days. The school setti
Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie

I've had this book on my TBR before, but then I removed it because it looked too fluffy you know... But it was still on my ereader so I thought, "Why no give it a go?"

I'm so glad I did, because I could have missed out on one of the best stories I have ever read!

Mara Dyer has just survived a horrible accident, her friends weren't so lucky.To help cope with the stress, her parents move the entire family to a new town. New beginnings. But the past has a way of following you wherever you go. Mara re
NickReads
Sep 19, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
description

I keep hearing mixed things about this series.I am intrigued to read it because of the mind thing and it really sounds interesting.Any feedback?

Larissa Cambusano
Aug 05, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 ⭐️ NOW THIS. THIS FREAKING BOOK. WOW.

it was everything i needed & more! the plot, the mystery, the characters, the romance, the paranormal. i’m INVESTED.

will be picking up book two immediately.
Madita
Jun 07, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hello? New obsession coming in.

The mystery in this book is superior and I just want to know what the hell happened that night and what the hell Mara can do.
There are so many interesting characters in this series:
Noah (who’s also a great love interest btw)
Daniel (now I wonder what will happen with you)
Jamie (WHERE ARE YOUUUUUU)
Joseph (see smth is up with this kid)
And obviously Mara.

Plot wise I was on my toes the entire time and couldn’t put it down especially after the dog scene (iy
TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover
This beauty is currently on sale for 1.99 (it's usually I think 10.99?!?) http://amzn.to/2xiinVD

description

“I didn’t know what was real, what was a nightmare, what was a memory.” – Mara Dyer

Well Mizz Mara Dyer, you and I have that in common. I spent the majority of this book in a state of utter confusion with the question “WTF is happening?” on repeat in my brain.

Let’s break it down quickly, shall we? Mara Dyer wakes up in a hospital having been involved in an accident she has no recollection of. Beca
April
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a mind trip this book was! Throughly enjoyed it!
Kai Spellmeier
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
“And just like that, I was completely, utterly, and entirely,
His.”

4.5/5 stars

Michelle Hodkin is such a good author. The novel just grips you and won't let you breath until you've read it all!
Most of what I have to say about the Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is positive.
I've read it twice now and I have to say that I really very much enjoy reading the dialouges. I mean, I enjoyed all of it, but especially the dialouges. They're funny, sassy, sexy, always taking turns.
The plot is well worked out and the
Victoria Schwab
Total page-turner! One of those books I couldn't for the life of me put down, because I NEEDED to know what was happening. Chock full of twists and turns right up to the end, and some amazing moments (hey hey Noah), and now I cannot wait to get my hands on the second book and learn more. ...more
Giselle
Aug 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, own
I think this was probably my most anticipated book in the past months, and I also think that was it's downfall. You really look forward to a book. Everyone is saying how incredibly awesome it is. Nothing could ever be as good as this book - except maybe Daughter of Smoke and Bone - so how can it possibly live up to my already extreme expectations? Well... not like this.

Mara Dyer - Oh Mara Dyer, you had such an awesome beginning. A mysterious and creepy letter to set the mood. A strange event no
Eva Rian ☾
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was sooo good
Saniya
Feb 25, 2011 rated it it was ok

• Binding 13 (Boys of Tommen #1)
  • Keeping 13 (Boys of Tommen, #2)
  • Seven Sleepless Nights
  • A Million Kisses in Your Lifetime
  • Better Than the Movies
  • Icebreaker (UCMH #1)
  • Bad Reputation
  • Hothouse Flower (Calloway Sisters, #2)
  • Kiss the Sky (Calloway Sisters, #1)
  • Whatever It Takes (Bad Reputation Duet, #1)
  • Ricochet (Addicted, #2)
  • Wherever You Are (Bad Reputation Duet, #2)
  • Sidetracked (Mindf*ck, #2)
  • Believe Me (Shatter Me, #6.5)
  • Addicted After All (Addicted, #5)
  • Addicted for Now (Addicted, #3)
  • Twisted Lies (Twisted, #4)
  • Scarlet Angel (Mindf*ck, #3)
See top shelves…
Michelle Hodkin is the author of the Mara Dyer Trilogy, which was a New York Times, USA Today, and Publishers Weekly bestselling series. The trilogy, which includes The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, The Evolution of Mara Dyer, and The Retribution of Mara Dyer, was described as “haunting and dreamlike” by Cassandra Clare and “darkly funny, deliciously creepy, and genuinely thoughtful” by Veronica Roth. ...more

Mara Dyer (3 books)
  • The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #2)
  • The Retribution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #3)

Articles featuring this book

Whether it’s magic schools, dystopias, paranormal love stories, or contemporary explorations of important real-life issues, young adult books...
“Thinking something does not make it true. Wanting something does not make it real.” 2948 likes
“What would you do if I kissed you right now?"
I stared at his beautiful face and his beautiful mouth and I wanted nothing more than to taste it. "I would kiss you back.”
1330 likes