Where's George? Readers discussion

Monthly Updates > What are you reading February 2014?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill (new)

Bill | 192 comments I was surprised to find several sci-fi books on the list of "50 books guaranteed to make you a better person". I had seen a production of LeGuin's "The Lathe of Heaven" on PBS years ago, and when I saw her name on the list I figured I'd give it a read. Not sure how long it will take to read as I'll be watching a lot of Olympics coverage. But in between I'll be reading
The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin

message 2: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 372 comments Mod
The Other Wes Moore One Name, Two Fates by Wes Moore

I recommend this book to anyone that has an interest in the nuture side of nature v. nurture side of the argument. Two black men with the same name, born in the same city, about the same time lead two different lives. One becomes a Rhodes Scholar and the other is serving life in prison. Only 200 pages and is a pretty quick read.

message 3: by Ronald (new)

Ronald | 159 comments Mod
Had to return The Golem and the Jinni to the library today. I will put in a new request for the book later. I am going to take some time to catch up on some comic book reading in the mean time.

message 4: by Melanie (new)

James Madison
I'm caught up on book club reads, so I'm going into my POTUS reading. This is a short one, but he lived a private life.

message 6: by April (new)

April Smith | 40 comments I finished Killing Jesus: A History now I'm on to A Storm of Swords. My reading is also suffering because of Olympic coverage.

message 7: by Melanie (new)

Takedown Twenty (Stephanie Plum, #20) by Janet Evanovich
Just got the latest Evanovich. It is good to have a quick read.

message 8: by April (new)

April Smith | 40 comments I totally agree about a good shortie!

message 9: by Bill (last edited Feb 23, 2014 07:51PM) (new)

Bill | 192 comments The closing ceremonies from Sochi have just aired; the Winter Olympics are now closed. I'm always a bit sad when the Games end, but it will be good to resume my reading which I've neglected for the past few weeks. Back to The Left Hand of Darkness.

message 10: by April (new)

April Smith | 40 comments I still have two days of games to watch, except for hockey, I just don't watch that.

message 11: by Ronald (new)

Ronald | 159 comments Mod
Grabbed Wool Omnibus (Silo, #1) off the new book shelf at the library. I guess I will get to the other books later. ;-)

message 12: by April (new)

April Smith | 40 comments I just finished The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics. I have started a new book but will wait and post it in the March thread - since it will be an all March read.