Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Paranormal Romance > Please give me reccomendations( i am kind of picky)

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Princeofrai (new)

Princeofrai | 3 comments Hello, this is my first time using good reads groups so hopefully i'm doing this right. I'm looking for a new book series to read but i'm kind of picky so hopefully someone here can help me. I'm new to reading series and the two i liked most are the Caster Chronicles and the Intertwined Series, both young adult paranormal romances. I'm going to list what i'm looking for.

-More than just one book. I prefer trilogies or more.

- Male lead/POV. I am ok with it shifting between chapters similar to the Intertwined series (the other was a girl, though the male lead had the most chapters)but really like Male POV only.

- I like romance but it does not need to be the only major plot in the book. I wouldn't even mind if its simply a long, detailed subplot

- I'm looking for something with highschool to university aged characters (14-24/25ish). I don't mind long series where the mains start young but grow up (like Harry Potter and Percy Jackson, even though they aren't paranormal romance)but really can't get into fully adult characters.

- So far i've only ever read young adult. I enjoy it but i also wouldn't mind something more mature in every way possible. YA is great but sometimes feels too predictable and cheesy to me.

Thats about it i think. I would appreciate any and all recommendations. While i am open to some of my wants not being available i simply can't negotiate on the Male Pov only/main focus part. I've tried and simply can't get into a novel with only a female pov or when the female pov is the main character/gets most of the focus.

message 2: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Jackson (paperbackdiva) | 76 comments I don't have any YA recommendations for you. But a suggestion: explore Goodreads for some time. I've been a member for several years now and still keep discovering new things. For your specific search, try Listopia. Use the link for 'Explore' at the top of the page, then 'listopia' from the dropdown menu. Enter a few key words in the search block and you'll find lists made by like-minded people. Good luck! And then look through the forums of this group where you'll find many suggestions too.

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 192 comments A book/series that came to my mind right away is the Lummatere Chronicles. Romance, adventure, mature, YA, male POV... HOWEVER, it is a fantasy and not a PNR. But don't let that throw you! It's more like Game of Thrones than Lord of the Rings... no dragons, wizards, etc. Just a lot of politics and a hint of magic in a foreign realm. I don't like high fantasy as a rule, but I really, really like this series.

Finnikin of the Rock (Lumatere Chronicles, #1) by Melina Marchetta

message 4: by Michelle (last edited Feb 04, 2014 10:06AM) (new)

Michelle (quill_n_ink) | 107 comments I agree with Andrea. Find the lists section here on Good Reads and I bet you'll find a bunch of great books that are similar to your favorites.

I don't read much YA (Twilight was an exception) but I would recommend what I consider a "New Adult" book: A Hidden Fire by Elizabeth Hunter. (Sorry I can't add a link, posting from my phone.) The heroine and her BFF are college students, the Hero and other supporting characters are older vampires. POV switches between the H/h. Series is 4 books and it has several spin-off books about supporting characters. Love everything this author writes!

ETA the link: A Hidden Fire (Elemental Mysteries, #1) by Elizabeth Hunter

Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) (mlpmombookreviewer) | 839 comments The Infernal Devices Clockwork Angel; Clockwork Prince; Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, #1-3) by Cassandra Clare

I think you will really like this trilogy, I have heard pretty amazing things about it and it seems to fit all your requirements. :)

message 6: by Princeofrai (new)

Princeofrai | 3 comments Thanks for the suggestions! I will check out the books recommended however i should say i'm not only interested in YA novels. Any novel that fits with what i'm looking for i'm willing to give a try.

message 7: by PepperP0t (new)

PepperP0t  | 534 comments Princeofrai I'd suggest:
John Corwin's Overworld Chronicles beginning with Sweet Blood of Mine and/or Kevin Hearn's Iron Druid Chronicles beginning with Hounded

Both are YA and have both UF and paranormal elements from a male POV. Iron Druid also has fantasy elements

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann | 13 comments You might give Jim Butcher's Dresden Files a try. The first book is Storm Front Storm Front. It's definitely not YA and it's not romance; it's listed as paranormal fantasy. But it's one of the few out there that has the male POV, and it is a really fun and interesting series - 14 books to date. They also did a one season TV series that you can watch and compare to it, always fun (lol).

message 9: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 112 comments I've got quite a few!

I second the Overworld Chronicles: Sweet Blood of Mine (Overworld Chronicles, #1) by John Corwin

I absolutely love the Curse Workers: White Cat (Curse Workers, #1) by Holly Black

If you'd like to try a Dystopian, there's the Maze Runner series: The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) by James Dashner

I love the Chaos Walking series, which is another, but completely different type of Dystopian: The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness

For aliens, there are the Lorien Legacies: I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1) by Pittacus Lore

message 10: by J.D. (last edited Feb 04, 2014 02:33PM) (new)

J.D. | 23 comments Try Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1) by Christopher Paolini it's mostly in male POV.

message 11: by Ann (new)

Ann | 13 comments I just thought of another YA trilogy that I really liked. It's by Kenneth Oppel and begins with Airborn

message 12: by Princeofrai (new)

Princeofrai | 3 comments All very good suggestions, thank you! I am interested mostly in the Overworld Chronicles and Curse workers. Are they by any chance available as free ebooks anywhere?

message 13: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 112 comments If you can get a library membership, you might find them there. (It'll depend where you live, of course, but the one that I go to uses MidWest Collaborative for ebooks and audiobooks, and they've got the Curseworkers on audio.) Also, if you're willing to wait and put it on your Wishlist for Amazon, I've seen the first of the Overworld Chronicles go on sale for $.99 and even for free several times in the past year.

message 14: by LisaaReads (new)

LisaaReads | 2 comments for paranormal books I would recommend the premonition series. it's with college students and there is a love story involved, but there is a lot more going on. its not all about the love stuff. it's a great read and there are I think 4 books in the series,the last book hasn't come out yet. but I loved this series, and I'm sure you will move it too

message 15: by Edward (new)

Edward Jamieson (edwardjamieson) | 54 comments New paranormal series "Shade of Light"

Passion of an Angel (Shade of Light #1) by Suren Fant Wrath of Michael (Shade of Light, #2) by Suren Fant

A New Twist on a Tale of Angels and the Dawn of Time

message 16: by Nancie (last edited Apr 24, 2014 11:04AM) (new)

Nancie Paz (nanciepaz) | 15 comments This one:The Ultimate Wolf

And I'm not suggesting that just because I was the one who wrote it! But it really is the best damn paranormal romance on the face of this Earth :P :P :D. Plus it meets some of your specs--the first chapter focuses entirely on the male lead.

But anyway, I think the Overworld Chronicles, like Cindy said, are also quite good.

I also enjoyed the premonition series.

You can't go wrong with these two, to be honest. I enjoy Young Adult novels but I really find myself thinking more deeply about the more mature novels. The YA novels are fun but sometimes they tend to leave me a bit empty.