Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Simon and Schuster Authors > Shane Kuhn and Intern's Handbook

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vincent, Mod & Author (last edited Feb 04, 2014 10:05AM) (new)

Vincent Lowry (vlowry) | 1102 comments Mod
Authors & Readers,

I am pleased to announce that Simon and Schuster is publishing Shane Kuhn's new thriller, Intern's Handbook (the description is at the bottom of this post). The release date is April 8, but members can get their hands on a free e-short prequel to the book sooner. That prequel is called Casual Friday, and in order for you to win a copy, you must follow these instructions:

1) Post your worst intern story in the comment section below.
2) Leave this post before others beat you to it (the first 100 intern stories will get a copy).
3) Be able to download Casual Friday via Bookshout. This is the format of the e-book. A redemption code will be provided if you email Simon & Schuster at https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/4...
4) Post a review (or at least rate the story) on Goodreads once you read it. You can use #internshandbook for other social media outlets.

If you like the short story, please add Intern's Handbook to your to-read list so you can be notified when it comes out.

You can connect with Shane on Twitter at @shaneskuhn, or via Shane's website: http://shanekuhn.com/

Descriptions

Casual Friday

Casual Friday is the story of hit man John Lago’s very first assignment as a recruit with Human Resources, Inc., a placement agency that sends assassins, disguised as interns, to take out high-level targets under cover of corporate invisibility. John will go on to become the most successful “intern” in HR’s history. You can read more about his career in The Intern’s Handbook, a full-length thriller that will be published on April 8, 2014. - See more at: http://books.simonandschuster.com/Cas...

Intern's Handbook

JOHN LAGO IS A HITMAN. HE HAS SOME RULES FOR YOU. AND HE’ S ABOUT TO BREAK EVERY SINGLE ONE.

John Lago is a very bad guy. But he’s the very best at what he does. And what he does is infiltrate top-level companies and assassinate crooked executives while disguised as an intern.

Interns are invisible. That’s the secret behind HR, Inc., the elite “placement agency” that doubles as a network of assassins for hire who take down high-profile targets that wouldn’t be able to remember an intern’s name if their lives depended on it.

At the ripe old age of almost twenty-five, John Lago is already New York City’s most successful hit man. He’s also an intern at a prestigious Manhattan law firm, clocking eighty hours a week getting coffee, answering phones, and doing all the grunt work actual employees are too lazy to do. He was hired to assas­sinate one of the firm’s heavily guarded partners. His internship provides the perfect cover, enabling him to gather intel and gain access to pull off a clean, untraceable hit.

Part confessional, part DIY manual, The Intern’s Handbook chronicles John’s final assignment, a twisted thrill ride in which he is pitted against the toughest—and sexiest—adversary he’s ever faced: Alice, an FBI agent assigned to take down the same law partner he’s been assigned to kill. - See more at: http://books.simonandschuster.com/Int...

The Intern's Handbook A Thriller by Shane Kuhn
The Intern's Handbook: A Thriller

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iLzt...

message 2: by Desiree (new)

Desiree (DesireeBee) | 6 comments Sounds like a fun story and book! Unfortunately, I never was an intern. Good luck, everyone and thank you for your generosity!

message 3: by Ira (new)

Ira Phillips | 8 comments Congrats Shaun!

Here's my Intern story, taken from my novel,

http://www.amazon.com/Betrayal-Malt-W...

Phil offers to hire a car, so we can drive down the weekend, before I start the locum job.

Lesley, the hypnotherapist, I am replacing, has her clinic in her home. It is in a small village, just outside the peak district.

“As it will be late when you arrive, would your friend, Phil, like to stay the night?”

I accept gratefully and am surprised the next morning how hard it is to let him leave. He has showered me with thoughtful gifts and even a teddy bear, so I won’t be lonely. I’m not really a teddy bear person, so no one has bought me one previously, so I am touched, if not a little bemused.

My first Monday at work goes fine. Lesley has insisted that I shadow her for the first day, so I can see how she works and she can get a feel of my approach. She is more ordered than me and gives less of herself, but on the whole, our styles are similar and neither of us foresee any problems. The clients I meet are initially suspicious, but are won over during their allotted hour, becoming generally accepting of me, as a suitable replacement. I finish the day fatigued. I always find it tiring when someone is constantly observing my every move.

I need some time to myself sooner, so I head off for an evening stroll, round the village up into the hills behind. This will be an adventure; I am full of anticipation, of what these six months might hold.

On my return to Lesley’s house, I suffer my first wobble, totally unprovoked by myself. In fact, I would conclude that so far I am doing well and settling in fine. Ha, but life is never that easy! As I turn my key in the latch, I literally walk into Lesley’s boyfriend and co-traveller.

We have yet to meet, so I introduce myself, “Hi, I’m Jen, I’m covering Lesley’s practice,” I offer him my hand.
He shakes my hand, “Jeff. Good to meet you.”
“Cold night,” I say, ”I bet you are looking forward to getting away. I’ve had a long day so if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to make a hot drink and a hot water bottle, before retiring for the night.”
He nods, “Lesley has gone to bed early, with a headache. We will be leaving first thing, tomorrow morning.”
“Have a nice time!” I go through into the kitchen.

I take my time unpacking my small box of foodstuffs and when I finally make my way up the stairs, the house is quiet and in darkness, so I turn off the downstairs light on my way up. Pushing open my bedroom door, I am aghast to witness my quilt moving.

Not someone, easily frightened, my heart is trampolining as I look again to confirm movement. Are my eyes deceiving me? No, the quilt is definitely moving. I am correct, and I stare, open-mouthed, as Jeff emerges from beneath my quilt.

“I’m here to be your hot water bottle,” he announces proudly.

I don’t quite take in what is occurring and stand, paralyzed in the doorway, my hand still gripping the door handle.

“Come on,” he continues, “I hear you’ve had one relationship break up and then you bring another man with you, at the weekend. I’m good for some!”

Shit! I hear no more, as my motionlessness passes. I tear down the stairs and sit, my legs shaking, on a chair in the kitchen, against the closed door. I reach for my phone, still in my back pocket and call Phil. He answers immediately and listens patiently.

“Oh my God, Phil, you’ll never believe this…”

Instead of reacting with exclamation, disbelief and horror, he competently diffuses the situation, “Jen, just calmly tell me about the rest of your day. How did it go?” He knows there is nowhere else I can go. I do not yet have Lesley’s car, I know no one in the village so I am effectively trapped in this house and cannot go to anyone for help.

I can’t tell you how long I sit there, in the chair in the kitchen, letting Phil’s calm voice wash over me and erase the disturbing memory of the room above. What kind of grave error have I made coming here? My life does not seem to be getting any simpler. Lesley’s boyfriend is in his mid-sixties and has not an ounce of handsomeness. What slutty behaviour, with Lesley asleep in the adjacent bedroom! I wonder what she sees in him. What arrogance and opinion, he must have of himself to even consider I might have accepted his offer. Does he think I’m desperate? No, obviously that I’m just a slut with no taste!

When Phil has listened carefully enough, to access my state of mind, as no longer in panic, he interrupts me, “I’m going to hang up now and you need to go back upstairs to your room.”

Before I can interrupt with a ‘What if’, he continues by saying, “He will not be there, just go in and lock the door. They are leaving first thing tomorrow. You do not need to see this toad tomorrow. Call me again if you need to.”
He does not let me question his assertion and just repeats the same statement when I try to insert a ‘but.’

After what feels like forever, but is probably only two, drawn out minutes, I brace myself and tiptoe up the stairs. Hesitating only slightly outside the door, listening with my mouth cocked half open so I can distinguish more sound, I push the wooden door ajar.

Phil is right. My room is empty.

Locking the door and pushing a chair against it, I climb under my quilt, hugging the now-lukewarm, hot, water bottle. Instead of lying with anxiety pummelling my stomach, I calmly sigh, shut my eyes and sleep.

It’s been a long, first day. Surely it can only get better!

message 4: by Hiba (new)

Hiba (over-achiever) | 3 comments I've never been an intern. Although I have done some shadowing at a Dentist's office, and it wasn't that bad of an experience. Well, except that the newest, and least "liked" Dental Assistant thought I was there to take over her job. No one in the office led her to believe otherwise. If looks could kill, I'd be a baked cookie by now.

Good luck to people who've had actual intern experiences!

message 5: by Mikailamoo (new)

Mikailamoo | 1 comments Here's my intern story...
I was an intern lab analyst. We were doing quality control for the raw material used to create artificial sweetener. During my first day, the lab analysts told us that we should follow the test procedures to a T. There were several tests for that material including a taste test,but i was pretty sure it did not apply to the raw material,only for the processed one. I told them i wouldn't do it 'coz it has corrosive properties since its not yet processed, it was raw,very raw. But they insisted. So i did and a part of my tongue got burned. They thought it was funny. I didn't. They then said it was just a joke, that i should not have done it. right, that's why no body stopped me while i was trying to taste a pinch of it.
They were lucky I wasn't an assassin. ;)

message 6: by Susana (new)

Susana U | 1 comments I worked for the biggest newspaper of the country. I got the job before I had any idea how to write an article or stuff like that.

The first day was actually great, I was familiar with the type of articles that the newspaper usually publicated so I thought that it was gonna be an easy task. It was my first internship so I was really excited to have the opportunity to write in the most important newspaper!

Everything seemed perfect the first week. I didn't have to publicate nothing that week because it was my first one. On the second one, I had the worst experience! A winner of an olympic medal was coming to our headquarter. Sports wasn't my area of work so you can guess how surprissed I was when my boss told me that i was going to guide and the conference and also write the article that had to be ready for that night because it will be published the next day. The interview sucked. I was really bad at it and by asociation were worser! My boss told me that I should have picked another carreer instead of writting.

Things got worse after that. So I think that is my worse internship until now

message 7: by Tura (new)

Tura | 53 comments It was not internship as such, but similar: I was a trainee or some such at a vintage clothing shop. It was fun, and I learnt to fold a shirt, and hang trousers properly (it is surprising how soon you develop the "Oh never mind, I can do that" reflex when helpful customer's take a stab at it.) One time though we were pretty much threatened with violence, me and the owner, since we had the effrontery to be eating lunch! Yes, people are weird. We were having something to eat and these two girls came in, and the owner said, "please feel free to browse, as you can see, we are having some sausages for lunch." The would be customer's demanded angrily that we should do this in a back room of some kind, and that "If you go to a department store, you don't see employees eating!" To which we replied, there is no backroom, and we are not a department store, so what is the issue? Could they maybe go to this department store, if our lunch was such a problem? Which they did fortunately, but really they were very angry, shouting and all. People! Eating! How dare we!