Cruisin' thru the Cozies Reading Challenge discussion

2014 Level 4-Sleuth Extra. > Kristine"s 2014 Reading Challenge

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristine (new)

Kristine  (goodreadscomkristines_booknook) | 65 comments Hi Everyone, I would love to join in the challenge.

message 2: by Kristine (new)

Kristine  (goodreadscomkristines_booknook) | 65 comments 1. Trouble Vision (A Raven's Nest Mystery, #3) by Allison Kingsley Trouble Vision 4/5 stars

message 3: by C. (friends, please call me by name) (last edited Feb 03, 2014 01:50PM) (new)

C.  (friends, please call me by name) (riedel) Hi! I'm Carolyn! I own the prior two and can't wait to read them. I adore her long-landing series as Kate Kingsbury. As you can see at my blog, I *love* the paranormal enough to host it! :) http://cmriedel.wordpress.com/etherea...

message 6: by C. (friends, please call me by name) (last edited Feb 06, 2014 06:27PM) (new)

C.  (friends, please call me by name) (riedel) It's that good? I like witch books but was unsure these are. Same question for Ellery Adams & Annette Blair.

message 7: by Kristine (new)

Kristine  (goodreadscomkristines_booknook) | 65 comments I love this series and Annette Blair's! I have only read the first book of Ellery Adams Books By the Bay series and really enjoyed it. I have been wanting to read her series just haven't gotten any of the books yet.

C.  (friends, please call me by name) (riedel) I look forward to them but are they witch books? With Ellery, I'm referring to her newer series about a magic pastry restaurant or the like.

message 9: by Kristine (last edited Feb 07, 2014 06:09AM) (new)

Kristine  (goodreadscomkristines_booknook) | 65 comments I'm not sure about Ellery Adams pie shop series. The main character in Annette Blair's series owns a vintage clothing store. Sometimes when she touches some of clothes she can see (as though she is right there) what is happening around the former owner. Oh and she can see and talk to ghosts. Hope that helps?

message 10: by C. (friends, please call me by name) (last edited Feb 07, 2014 05:39AM) (new)

C.  (friends, please call me by name) (riedel) Helps? It makes me wonder why I haven't read that series, sitting in my library, much earlier! I love the ghost topic more than witches! Her synopsis alludes to fashion, not the paranormal and should advertise its genre better.

message 11: by Kristine (new)

Kristine  (goodreadscomkristines_booknook) | 65 comments 4. Luck Be a Lady (Tahoe Tessie Mysteries, #1) by Gemma Halliday Luck Be a Lady 5/5 stars

message 13: by Kristine (new)

Kristine  (goodreadscomkristines_booknook) | 65 comments 6. Gemini Moon by Maria Grazia Swan Gemini Moon 4/5 stars

message 14: by Kristine (new)

Kristine  (goodreadscomkristines_booknook) | 65 comments 7. A Good Man Gone by A.W. Hartoin A Good Man Gone 5/5 stars

C.  (friends, please call me by name) (riedel) If you're ever keen to trade books, I love having a few people with whom to exchange options. :) The non-keepers of course.

message 18: by Kristine (last edited Feb 20, 2014 01:27PM) (new)

Kristine  (goodreadscomkristines_booknook) | 65 comments Thank you for the offer, it sounds like a great idea! As of late, I have been concentrating on the books I have on Kindle. I recently moved and all my books are still in storage. When I finally get to them I would be happy to share anything I have you may need. Do you have a Kindle? I would be happy tend those as well...I have some you may like.

message 19: by C. (friends, please call me by name) (last edited Feb 20, 2014 02:40PM) (new)

C.  (friends, please call me by name) (riedel) I'm paper book only; I fear them no longer being printed if I contribute to selling e-versions, LOL! I wasn't thrilled when vinyl records were no longer made. I would love to trade physical ones you don't need. I have a list I can e-mail, when you have a few to list.

How recent is the move? I went country 3 years ago and know it takes a while to settle in. There's one item I wish I could locate that ought to be on a shelf or box somewhere, otherwise we're set. Moving is hard in both ways, setting up house and leaving the last. But a step up in the way we live ends us bright. I'd like to be more remote than this but was ready to leave the city.

message 20: by Kristine (new)

Kristine  (goodreadscomkristines_booknook) | 65 comments I moved a few months ago but haven't moved most of things yet. It has been a challenge not having my things, some have been easy to replace and others (my books) I have been patiently waiting until I can send for them.

I prefer actual books as well and mostly buy those, I was given my Kindle as a gift and have slowly embraced it. I love the tangible feeling of the pages in my hands and seeing my progress as the pages are turned as chapters are read.

C.  (friends, please call me by name) (riedel) I wrote at article you might like that explains, our appreciation has much more to it than that. I'm not saying e-versions don't have convenience about them (as cassettes and CDs did, less damagable than records). But when almost everything is done with computers, e-books just aren't for me. I got so tired of explaining why, hence ready-to-go article! Hahahaha... http://cmriedel.wordpress.com/2013/12...

Congratulations on your new home. I hope it's what makes you happy and that your belongings catch up shortly.

C.  (friends, please call me by name) (riedel) By the way, in my present and previous homes, we were delayed from putting up pictures. In our apartment, the painters hadn't done their job before arrival so we had to keep furniture away from the circumference, which sucked because we would have used the long week-end to get a lot done.

In our house, we almost immediately battled for a litter of kittens and their Mother whom we were going to foster. They were born here and we immediately felt that this was home for them all but the shelter, instead of being glad, gave us a hard time (we believe in letting them go out, they don't). For two months, I couldn't bear to have people over to our brand new house, or put up pictures of the kittens. I didn't know if they were mine! They are, three years later. (Another article but I shan't inundate you). :-) I used to write about a great deal more than books and will get back to it.

message 23: by Kristine (new)

Kristine  (goodreadscomkristines_booknook) | 65 comments 13. Organized For Murder (Organized Mysteries #1) by Ritter Ames Organized For Murder 5/5 stars

14. Artifact (Jaya Jones Treasure Hunt Mystery, #1) by Gigi Pandian Artifact 5/5 stars

15. Simon Said (The Professor Simon Shaw Murder Mysteries #1) by Sarah R. Shaber Simon Said 2/5 stars

message 24: by Kristine (new)

message 26: by Kristine (new)

Kristine  (goodreadscomkristines_booknook) | 65 comments 18. Drizzled with Death (Sugar Grove Mystery, #1) by Jessie Crockett Drizzled with Death 4/5 stars

message 28: by Kristine (new)

Kristine  (goodreadscomkristines_booknook) | 65 comments 22. Death Checks Inn (Aspen Valley Inn #1) by Sara Robbins Death Checks Inn 3/5 stars

23. The Snapdragon Murder by Carol Lee The Snapdragon Murder 3/5 stars

message 29: by Kristine (new)

Kristine  (goodreadscomkristines_booknook) | 65 comments 24. A Dead Red Oleander (A Dead Red, #3) by R.P. Dahlke A Dead Red Oleander 3/5 stars

25. Dead Tide by Leighann Dobbs Dead Tide 4/5 stars

message 30: by C. (friends, please call me by name) (last edited Mar 07, 2014 11:07AM) (new)

C.  (friends, please call me by name) (riedel) Hi! I waited a few hours for activity entrants by e-mail; had to conclude the draw. You'll be in two, or all, of my groups to enter contests the rest of the year. :) Did you create posts at a blog? You may use the same page for my challenges and put that URL in each 'linky button'. I don't see any of yours yet - say the word if you need to know where the pages are. :) This was the clue. http://cmriedel.wordpress.com/2014/03...

message 31: by Kristine (new)

Kristine  (goodreadscomkristines_booknook) | 65 comments Hi! I Understand completely, I do know the answer to your clue...at least I think I do! I was distracted from my attempts to join in yesterday, when I saw your message stating I had approximately an hour still to join it was well past that time. I will work on getting some links up and such hopefully this weekend, if not then sometime next week.

C.  (friends, please call me by name) (riedel) Okay! I had been confused because it sounded like you had already joined "Ethereal". Do you have a blog? Your profile doesn't list one. I'm sure the sign-up pages are self-explanatory and like I said, you may use the same post for all three if you wish! Sorry, my message was meant to spur you on, not deter progress. I went a good two hours or more, thinking "Kristine, Yvonne, and two other people mentioned checking the mystery blog soon"...

Go ahead and enjoy the post. I've had no views yet today. I had fun doing a full article on the answer to "the fairy hoax", complete with photographs. I'd like everyone to comment at the article, so I know they enjoyed the output. :) http://cmriedel.wordpress.com/2014/03...

message 33: by Kristine (new)

Kristine  (goodreadscomkristines_booknook) | 65 comments 26. Deadly Magic (A Grace Holliday Mystery, Book One) by Elisabeth Crabtree Deadly Magic 3/5 stars

message 34: by C. (friends, please call me by name) (last edited Mar 12, 2014 08:09AM) (new)

C.  (friends, please call me by name) (riedel) Three stars, eh? Of course I keep my eye out for ghosts, my favourite, or magic(k)-oriented! That usually means witch series and those I've tried have been good. This looks like magicians.

message 35: by Kristine (last edited Mar 30, 2014 02:13PM) (new)

Kristine  (goodreadscomkristines_booknook) | 65 comments 27. Pillow Stalk (A Mad for Mod Mystery) by Diane Vallere Pillow Stalk 5/5 Stars

message 36: by Kristine (new)

Kristine  (goodreadscomkristines_booknook) | 65 comments 28. Limoncello Yellow by Traci Andrighetti Limoncello Yellow 5/5 stars

message 37: by Kristine (new)

Kristine  (goodreadscomkristines_booknook) | 65 comments 29. After Dark (Harmony #1) by Jayne Castle After Dark 3/5 stars. I am not so sure what genre to classify this as but it did have a mystery.

C.  (friends, please call me by name) (riedel) Catching up to me nicely! I had better raise my groove. Hehehe.

message 40: by Kristine (new)

Kristine  (goodreadscomkristines_booknook) | 65 comments Recently I have been reading non-cozy books and as a result neglected to update my list. Things should be current...at least for the moment. :O)

C.  (friends, please call me by name) (riedel) My number is overall, not 'cozy mysteries'. I'm in 45 challenges and like to target the toughest first. Also there are ghost and witch novels that probably are 'cozies' which I've saved as a very nice treat. Forays into the paranormal / mystical / spiritual always uplift me. I believe there is real magic in life and can't bear anyone closed-minded. Even fictional treatments make me feel great.

message 42: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne (yvonne473) | 858 comments Mod
Hi Kristine,

Somehow I missed your sign up post, but welcome to the challenge! So many great books to read! Enjoy!

message 44: by Kristine (new)

Kristine  (goodreadscomkristines_booknook) | 65 comments Yvonne wrote: "Hi Kristine,

Somehow I missed your sign up post, but welcome to the challenge! So many great books to read! Enjoy!"

Hi Yvonne,

Now that you mention it, I don't believe I posted on the sign up page. Oops! Thank you jfor hosting this group. I am finding all sorts of great things to read. Too many books, so little time. :O)

message 45: by Kristine (last edited Apr 28, 2014 08:37AM) (new)