Zombies! discussion

Announcements > March BOTM Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim | 219 comments Mod
It's February so that means it is time to start thinking about March... for our BOTM group read. The winning theme for the month is "books involving outer space/other planets". So it is time to get some sci-fi in our zombies.

Standing rules for nominations apply (no self nominations, must be both physical and electronic copies available). Feel free to post your nominations. Nominations will go through February 18th (or when we get 10 nominations), then we will post the poll.

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim | 219 comments Mod
I will start off with Star Wars: Death Troopers Death Troopers (Star Wars) by Joe Schreiber

message 3: by Becky (last edited Feb 03, 2014 09:14AM) (new)

Becky Stephens (twistedbookjunkie) | 10 comments I think Black Redneck vs. Space Zombies fits this theme perfectly! Non-stop action and incredibly fun!
Black Redneck vs. Space Zombies by Steven Roy

message 4: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresatheterrible) Man...this is such a specific, narrow 'theme,' I can't even find a book to nominate! I *almost* can't believe it won out!!! I found Texas Biker Zombies From Outer Space...it SAYS it's available for Kindle and as a hard copy, but the Kindle link doesn't seem to work... I know the guy that listed it as a Kindle book, and I'll message him to see if there actually is an e-book. Still yet, it would be a really tough (but probably uber fun) book to read, 'cause it's a 'Choose Your Own Adventure' book, and 95% of the outcomes are DEATH!!! Can you make it through? ;-)

And Black Redneck vs. Space Zombies isn't available in a hard copy (even though it looks quite interesting...), so is it out?

So really...we have, what? ONE nomination? That kinda sucks...

I typed in 'space zombies,' and these are the books I got: https://www.goodreads.com/search?utf8...

Then I typed in 'zombies planets' and got this: https://www.goodreads.com/search?utf8...

Not much of a selection, and most definitely not many that will be available in both print AND e-book. I think we may have a conundrum on our hands :-( GOD I wish I could build a time machine and go back and switch my vote to something else (yes, yes...I was the ONE PERSON who voted for zombie non-fiction...I think The Serpent and the Rainbow: A Harvard Scientist's Astonishing Journey into the Secret Societies of Haitian Voodoo, Zombis, and Magic should be required reading for all zombie enthusiasts!).

Anyhow, what's done is done, but this is going to be a tough read. Well, maybe not a tough read, but it will at least create a tough time getting to 10 nominations...I *almost* think this was Dave's way of 'going out with a bang.' I.e., leaving us with a theme that is so incredibly narrow in scope, a book that fits the e-book AND physical book parameters will be nigh impossible to find. Is there any way we can broaden the scope by making it "Science fiction zombie books"??? I know this is really late in the game, but I've been keeping my eye on the nominations, and, well, we aren't getting any, because its zombies. In space. Kinda hard to find a book like that...

~Teresa~

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim | 219 comments Mod
Actually, the theme wasn't Dave's idea. You can read the nomination thread to see where it came from. Since you were having trouble, I'll add a couple other ideas:

Star Wars: Red Harvest Red Harvest (Star Wars) by Joe Schreiber

Last Overseer The Last Overseer by Anton Troia

Zombie Syndrome: Space Horror Novel Zombie Syndrome A Space Horror Novel by Keith Adam Luethke

the Darkness Within: Final Cut The Darkness Within by Sam Stone

Sly Mongoose Sly Mongoose (Xenowealth, #3) by Tobias S. Buckell

Just a couple I found searching around.

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim | 219 comments Mod
Mod Note: For the 5 titles I just posted, I'll only include them in the poll if someone seconds them for inclusion so I am not creating the entire nomination list myself.

message 7: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresatheterrible) I say go ahead and second them! The more, the better! I guess I am just more used to 'regular' zombie books (i.e., not so much on the sci-fi side...I don't like too much craziness going on lol), so I'm not familiar AT ALL with the 'space zombies' theme! Plus, some of them look really good. I definitely like the idea of the themes, but it will seriously limit nominations. I have been reading and nominating for over 6 months, and still yet, there has NEVER been a book chosen that I nominated :-( Now, I know the chances of one of my nominations EVER getting chosen is slim to none because I won't even be able to nominate unless its in the 'theme.' Which, speaking of, when will the theme nominations for April be up? I'd like some zom-rom-com so we can read Warm Bodies or Breathers: A Zombie's Lament.

And, Jim, I gotta say, you do a *great* job with this group!!! (Liz, too!!!). You guys have to put up with MY nonsense all the time, and I know there's been a lot of drama here lately. I know a lot of my comments are strongly worded and its pretty obvious how I feel about anything I post about. I'm so thankful you guys aren't just like "F*** it!! We're closing this group down!" cause that's probably what I'd have done. I guess we're all just passionate about our zombies, and we all like different stuff. When I'm at work, I oftentimes have to stop what I'm doing, take a deep breath, and remind myself that you can't make everyone happy!!! Thanks so much for putting up with all of us, even when we act like 14 year olds. I, for one, really appreciate the work you guys put into the group; if it weren't for the good friends I've made in this group, and you and Elizabeth's obvious love for this group, I'd probably have left a long time ago. Thanks for keeping it classy, guys!!!

~Teresa~

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim | 219 comments Mod
Regarding themes, I had originally thought of doing them only every other month so that they wouldn't be too restraining and give plenty of free-for-all months. However, after only getting 9 votes total for theme selection, I'm thinking there isn't a lot of support for theme months. the next couple of months will probably be open nominations and I might try themes again in a few months.

message 9: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresatheterrible) Cool...sounds good. I'm sure we'll be able to tell more about what the new BOTM changes bring about after Day By Day is over. I think having a theme every few months instead of every month is a good idea...maybe like once every quarter or something. Anyhow, thanks for taking the time to answer! :-)

~Teresa~

message 10: by Yammy (new)

Yammy | 177 comments this theme is impossible for me to think of something i've already read and none of the ones listed look even remotely intresting to me. is there a novel based off the video game Dead Space?

if so i nominate that.

message 11: by Thia (new)

Thia (thial) | 130 comments This one was recommended on Audible but I don't know how tightly it fits the theme - or you all may have read it. Seems to hint at an other planet alienish theme. Out of Darkness - Starborn Saga...
http://www.amazon.com/Out-Darkness-St...

message 12: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 2186 comments I've read the first two books in the Starborn Saga. They're pretty good. A fusion of paranormal (alien type) and zombies.

message 13: by Jim (new)

Jim | 219 comments Mod
I have posted the poll for this month. Technically I said we would have till today to submit nominations but there hasn't been any action on this thread for over a week so I figure there wouldn't be anymore nominations. Go vote for your favorite. April will be a nomination free-for-all.

message 14: by Netanella (new)

Netanella | 2108 comments Jim wrote: "Go vote for your favorite. April will be a nomination free-for-all.
..."

I voted! Thanks, Jim, for setting up the poll.

message 15: by Netanella (new)

Netanella | 2108 comments Our poll for March's Book of the Month is at a tie right now...

When's the last day to vote, Jim? I can't seem to find a date in this thread... Cast your vote, if you haven't already!

message 16: by Jim (new)

Jim | 219 comments Mod
Last day should be the 25th at midnight.

message 17: by Thia (new)

Thia (thial) | 130 comments Poll still tied between Out of Darkness and The Last Overseer

Please come over to the poll and vote!

message 18: by Jim (new)

Jim | 219 comments Mod
Hello everyone. It appears we had a tie for book of the month. How do people feel about doing both books this month, one in the first half and one in the second half?

Thia, since you nominated Out of Darkness, you ready to moderate that one?

Thoughts?

message 19: by Thia (new)

Thia (thial) | 130 comments Thia, since you nominated Out of Darkness, you ready to moderate that one?

Sure I can wing it. Someone who will be participating in that one will have to break it into parts and let everyone know chapter date breakdown etc. I'll be listening to the audiobook and the chapters are never right. I'd have folks stopping mid sentence ;)
Just let me know which part of the month for this one.

message 20: by Netanella (new)

Netanella | 2108 comments I have an electronic version of "Out of Darkness" with 19 chapters and 407 pages.

"Out of Darkness" the first two weeks of the month and "The Last Overseer" the last two weeks of the month, if that's okay with everyone.

How does this sound, Thia?

Week 1 - March 1 to March 9 - reading and discussion through end of Chapter 10.

Week 2 - March 10 to March 16 - reading and discussion through end of book Chapter 19.

Week 3 & 4 - BOTM 2 The Last Overseer by Anton Troia (schedule to be set by moderator)

message 21: by Thia (new)

Thia (thial) | 130 comments Works for me. Thanks!

message 22: by Jim (new)

Jim | 219 comments Mod
I created a thread for the group read and copied the schedule over for it. Have fun.

message 23: by Sara (new)

Sara | 94 comments Did you all decide to forego the second BOTM ("The Last Overseer")? When will we be voting on the April BOTM?

message 24: by Jim (new)

Jim | 219 comments Mod
Sara wrote: "Did you all decide to forego the second BOTM ("The Last Overseer")? When will we be voting on the April BOTM?"

Sorry, this month has been crazy busy for me and I haven't had time to start anything for the Last Overseer. I wasn't sure if anyone was interested in participating. I'll try to get the poll for next month posted today or tomorrow.