Start by marking “Warm Bodies (Warm Bodies, #1)” as Want to Read:
Warm Bodies (Warm Bodies, #1)

Warm Bodies

(Warm Bodies #1)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  97,260 ratings  ·  10,464 reviews
'R' is a zombie. He has no name, no memories and no pulse, but he has dreams. He is a little different from his fellow Dead.

Amongst the ruins of an abandoned city, R meets a girl. Her name is Julie and she is the opposite of everything he knows - warm and bright and very much alive, she is a blast of colour in a dreary grey landscape. For reasons he can't under
Paperback, UK Edition, 240 pages
Published October 28th 2010 by Random House Vintage

·  97,260 ratings  ·  10,464 reviews

Start your review of Warm Bodies (Warm Bodies, #1)
Maggie Stiefvater
Mar 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult, recommended
Ten Reasons to Read WARM BODIES

1. It is a zombie book. But not like that. In the spirit of honesty, I had this book as an advanced review copy for literally months before I picked it up. It had glowing reviews from Stephanie Meyer, so I figured it couldn’t be that gross, and a glowing quote from Audrey Niffeneggar, so I figured it had to be well-written. But . . . zombies. Hopeless gore. I have a pretty strict disinterest in zombies that I break only for Carrie Ryan’s books. I’
Lucy
Wendy Darling
What makes us human? Is it merely a collection of living flesh and tissue and bone, or is it also consciousness and memory and feeling? R, the young zombie who narrates this novel, isn't really sure. But after meeting Julie, a human girl he impulsively saves and hides away in an abandoned plane, he begins to experience thoughts and feelings that he'd forgotten he'd ever had.

Warm Bodies is a wistful love story that is creepy, sad, sweet, and disturbing in equal measure. The notion that it is poss/>Warm
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
Made the list for

Best Badass Zombie Books...

Lessons learned from R (who happens to be a zombie)

1. Sometimes you are up, and sometimes you are down. That is until the power goes out and you are stuck.

2. Freaking out is not going to help, instead get married!

3. Sometimes a little brain goes a long way, unless of course you just ate the last of it, and then you a
Rachel
Jun 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
I finished this book awhile ago, but I've been avoiding writing my review. The only reason I can think of is that I really don't want my first read glow to go away. You know that time after you read a really spectacular book when you're just sitting around, thinking about how wonderful it was and going over passages you loved? I think I've been doing that for two weeks now. Every time I think about Warm Bodies, I wonder at how good it was.

Warm Bodies follows R, a zombie unlike those
Miranda Reads
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, ya-series
Cold Hands, Warm Heart

"R" spends his time at the airport, taking long walks and scooping brains out of skulls. He's a zombie but unlike most of the ones he's met, he can think about more than just his stomach.

Julie is one of the last humans living in the settlement. She's finally old enough to go out on a raiding mission but when she does, her team gets ambushed almost immediately.

As R chomps on the brain of Julie's boyfriend (Perry), he experiences the memories. Seeing Julie from Perry's perspective changes somethinghedoes,the
Jamie
What an entertaining delight! I first heard of this book through the movie trailer. I was very skeptical about this, yet oddly curious at the same time. A zombie who falls in love.... I did not know what to expect getting into this. What I ended up experiencing was a story like no other.

'R' is a zombie with personality. Not very common, right? Even the other zombies think he is odd. He longs for memories...for life. When he eats the brain of a young man named Perry and saving a human girl, thi
Kat Kennedy
This is not a young adult novel.

I mean, it is about a young adultish human and zombie who fall in love and set about to change the world with love. But this is not a young adult novel.

It has themes of young love and disaffected youth and hopeful new beginnings but this is not a young adult novel, people!

Regardless of what it is, it’s a pretty good novel, but I have a confession. This is going to translate in people’s minds as me being simplistic and unable to handle the deeper, more complicated themes of this book – but I don’
Matthew
Much better than I expected - especially after the start. I really wasn't going to sure if I would care for this one because it seemed a little silly at first.

But, after I got into it, it started to have some interesting action sequences and some really deep introspection on the human condition.
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
4.5 stars. Final review, first posted on Fantasy Literature:

In Warm Bodies (2010), our world has been overrun by the zombies, and the few humans who are left are fighting a rearguard action. They huddle in walled enclosures, sending out occasional armed expeditions for food and supplies. Regular school classes have fallen by the wayside, replaced by classes and demonstrations on how to best kill a zombie permanently (head shots).

R is a zombie who doesn’t remember his past life, except that h
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
This was a big surprise, though not entirely a pleasant one.

Try imagining the most disgusting relationship in the history of mankind. Are you done yet? Need some help?

(view spoiler)

Now multiply that feeling of disgust by ten. Or even better, by a hundred. Oookay. I don’t know about you, but I’m feeling pretty nauseous here.

If you’ve got it, try thinking of a way to make that feeling and that relationship adorable. You
Carolyn  Storer
I was quite skeptical, as well as intrigued, when I was sent "Warm Bodies" to review. I would never have imagined putting "zombie" and "romance" in the same sentence. I assumed the putrid decomposition of flesh and the eating of brains would have been a bit of a turn off.

After reading the first page I didn't know whether I would be able to take this book seriously: a zombie romance? And with quotes like these...
"My friend 'M' says thie irony of being a zombie is that everything
Stacia (the 2010 club)
With the new season of The Walking Dead back on tonight, I thought I'd go back and take a look at some killer (hah) zombie fiction. The closest book to the show Walking Dead that I've read is The First Days, so if you're needing more of that gory, survivalist-type of zombie book, I'd check that one out.

This book, however, is fresh in my mind due to the author himself making some recent comments that he's not altogether thrilled about some book stores shelving his book as Young Adult instead o
Sh3lly

Another book off my to-read shelf from 2013! Yay me! I have not seen the movie yet, but now I really want to, esp. since Nicholas Hoult is such a cutie.

Everyone has already read and reviewed this (I'm so late for the party), but here's my review. "R" is a zombie with an existential crisis that only gets worse when he meets Julie and instantly falls for her. He also happened to eat her boyfriend's brain, so has flashback memories of his life, some of which include her. (He met her when his group of Deads attac
Sasha Alsberg
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
amazing book, just read it!
Sophia Triad
'Living!' he sputters. 'Eat!'
I shake my head. 'No.'
'Eat!'
'No!'

The end of the world as we know it from a zombie’s point of view.

R lives at the abandoned airport at a 747 aeroplane. He likes collecting things from the past before almost all the people died or became zombies and loves listening to old records.

I go to the record player. The Sinatra record is still going, skipping on a blank inner groove, so I nudge the needle to 'Come Fly With Me'.

He has no memories, no pa/>The
Jessica
Jun 03, 2015 rated it liked it
I read this book to complete the #TBRTakedown challenge of reading a book outside my comfort zone. I've never been into zombie movies and until this book, I've never read any books with zombies. Overall, I just thought this book was okay.. Some parts really grossed me out... Parts of it seemed rushed and like we didn't get to learn a lot about the world.. Or there just wasn't enough world building I suppose... I did think it was interesting and I liked the changes the main character, R, went thr ...more
Krista Regester
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s official: this book is fuckin whack. But somehow good?!?! I don’t really understand how this works but it does… and why did it take me so long to read it?? Isaac Marion is strangely great at giving a zombie perspective.

R + Julie for life and death.
Apr 07, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2012
Heather
Jun 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I fell in love with a zombie. There, I said it out loud and I’m not embarrassed. Isaac Marion’s novel, Warm Bodies, is a romance. Yes, a zombie romance! Now before you all get grossed out on me, hear me out. In this author’s post-zombie apocalypse world, you first meet R. R isn’t your typical zombie that shuffles around mumbling “Braaaaaiiiiiiinnnnnnssss!” until he stumbles upon his next meal. You step right into R’s shoes. In this world, zombies are dead (of course), and they are really reduced ...more
Ailyne
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Update: Just saw movie trailer....i laughed out loud...and squealed. Here is the link ---> http://youtu.be/qrI8YIZsBok

HOLY. MOTHER. OF. ALL. THAT. IS. GORGEOUS.
Could any amount of my insignificant words fully encompass the greatness of this book? The answer here is no, no because the words printed on each copy of Warm Bodies are already tuned to a vast perfection greater than the sky itself. Isaac Marion..I applaud you, I give you ten million standing ovations, I declare you to be a master of words, an enchanter of souls, a r/>
Isamlq
Apr 04, 2011 rated it liked it
R and Julie’s story is probably the strangest, creepiest, yet sweetest and most hopeful thing I’ve come across in ages. You see, WARM BODIES is a zombie romance, literally. Instead of the expected survivors falling for each other given the end of days shtick, we have an actual zombie love story. The concept had me questioning would I buy it? Or better yet, would Julie? Even if the background was not as clearly explained as I want it to be, MAN, would I like to pick the brain of the person behind this ...more
Faith (BookSelf ~ You Are What You Read)
The world has been distilled. Being dead is easy.

This is a fantastic book. I watched the movie first because I thought it looked funny and now it's one of my favorite films. I decided to read the book, because as the old adage goes, "The book is always better than the movie."

Oh how that's true.

This humanized (quite literally) the zombies and their plight, while making epic comparisons to the state of survival versus living. What does it mean to be alive? What does it mean t
Rebecca McNutt
A likable premise with some genuinely funny material, Warm Bodies is clever but still pinned down under the predictable tropes of the zombie subgenre. It's a good story and one of few that actually speaks from a zombie's perspective (except perhaps The Girl with All the Gifts), but it starts to drag on and get old really quickly.
Jo
4 1/2 stars.

I only read this book because I was expecting blood, gore and mild necrophilia.

Instead, I got a beautifully poetic book full of immaculately developed characters and gorgeous prose that demolished the well-worn cliches of zombie literature and everything I thought I knew about those old shufflers.

Man I hate it when I don't get what I want.
Pfft.
MK~ Picky Girl
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: zombie-love
finished and I loved it!!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
I'm so freakin excited to be starting this!!! Anyone who knows me well, knows that I have a love for all things zombies. So when my sis told me about a zombie romance, I said hell yeah I need to read this!!! I'm ready for some Zombie love!! Buddy read with Marta, Brenda and Rosanna!
**********************************************************
finished and I loved it!!

**********************************************************
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Can't wait to meet the very interesting and very dead "R"

Lynda
Dec 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm sorry I can't properly introduce myself, but I don't have a name any more. Hardly any of us do. We lose them like car keys, forget them like anniversaries. Mine might have started with an 'R', but that's all I have for now.

None of us are particularly attractive, but death has been kinder to me than some. I'm still in the early stages of decay. Just the grey skin, the unpleasant smell, the dark circles under my eyes. I could almost pass for a Living man in need of a vacation.

zombie"/

Isaac Marion's debut novel is narrated by a zombie named R. He isn't your typical zombie with a single-minded craving for yummy yummy brains; he has thoughts, feelings, a conscience, and most importantly, love. After falling head over heels for a human named Julie, R starts a chain of events that might change the world forever.

Warm Bodies (the book) was released in 2011. It's prequel (which I read first), The New Hunger, wasn't released until 2013. The books are very different and do not have to be read in order. The New Hunger is narrated from the perspective of the survivor trying to adjust and survive in the world during/after the Zombie Apocalypse. Warm Bodies on the other hand is narrated from the perspective of one of the living dead. The two books work well together in telling the full apocalypse story.

The thing I love most about both of these books is their eloquently written and smooth flowing narrative. Marion's writing is simply poetic.

First, you have the humor:

“My friend "M" says the irony of being a zombie is that everything is funny, but you can't smile, because your lips have rotted off.”
To the more thought provoking:
“I am dead, but it's not so bad. I've learned to live with it. ”
These words express so well what it means to be a zombie: to live in an eternal state of apathy, not alive, not truly dead, just there.
“The past is made out of facts...I guess the future is just hope.”

“It frustrates and fascinates me that we'll never know for sure, that despite the best efforts of historians and scientists and poets, there are some things we'll just never know. What the first song sounded like. How it felt to see the first photograph. Who kissed the first kiss, and if it was any good.”
R's chronicles of life, surprisingly articulate and thoughtful for an undead, soon lead us to the realization that, for R at least, there is still hope for a revival of the human spirit.
“There's no benchmark for how life's "supposed" to happen. There is no ideal world for you to wait around for. The world is always just what it is now, it's up to you how you respond to it.”
Such symbolism throughout the novel leaves readers with more than one new perspective on the shape of today's society, and on what really matters in day-to-day life.

The spread of the zombie virus, although medical in theory, perhaps is just another way of personifying what happens when we allow ourselves to be governed by things which do not matter, and, in effect, become no more than human shells acting out a life of falsehood, always in search of external, spiritless rewards.

In 2013 Warm Bodies (the movie), was released. After finishing the book, I moved on to the movie, and it is a pretty good adaptation of Marion's work.

R
R - played by Nicholas Hoult (who you may remember as the child in the movie About A Boy)

If you crave zombie stories like zombies crave brains, you should have read this book yesterday. But if shambling, decaying, bloodthirsty creatures of horror aren't necessarily your thing, there's still plenty to enjoy about Warm Bodies.

So before you shamble off to the couch to stare blankly at a television screen and feast on warm, buttered brains popcorn, pick up the book and read Warm Bodies and experience a zombie story with brains and heart.

(This is my last review for books read in 2013. Thanks to all of you who have liked and commented on my reviews. Best wishes for a joyous, fun and informative reading year in 2014.)
Soumi
Jan 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
I used to avoid any zombie movies or novels before reading Warm Bodies Well I still believe zombies are creepy but this book shook my thoughts upside down. This book taught us about being human. Humans are the only living species in the Homo genus, a human body is constructed of flesh and bone with warm blood flowing through our artery and vein, our heart beats at 60/RR interval in seconds. Then why are we so different from these living dead zombies??? Because we have feelings, we smile when we are ha ...more
Lonna | FLYLēF
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-challenge
Wholly unexpected, thoroughly enjoyable. Full review to come...
Taneika
Mar 21, 2016 rated it liked it
A philosophical zombie love story is not something I expected! I thoroughly enjoyed this and the prose was gorgeous (albeit a bit purple, but enjoyable still). I REALLY WISH I READ THIS WHEN THE SEQUEL WAS ALREADY OUT THOUGH. I have so many questions I need answered!
Libri Labra Book ...: * Warm Bodies *SPOILERS* 1 4 Nov 14, 2019 08:44AM
Body Slim Down – Will You Lose Weight Without the Work Or Scam? 1 2 Aug 30, 2018 04:28AM
Nitro Pump 250 1 2 Mar 30, 2018 12:26AM
evaherbalist.com forskolin-slim-diet 1 1 Mar 09, 2018 11:53PM
evaherbalist.com/rejuvalex/ 1 2 Feb 24, 2018 05:30AM

• The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead
  • Il ballo e altri racconti
  • Poems of the Past and the Present
  • Generation Dead (Generation Dead, #1)
  • The Silver Linings Playbook
  • Breathers: A Zombie's Lament
  • I Am Legend and Other Stories
  • One Man's War
  • Seducida por su Lobo (Los Lobos de Green Valley, #2)
  • Reclamada por su Alfa (Los Lobos de Green Valley, #1)
  • Zombie Road V: Terror on the Two-Lane
  • Hitler's Girls: Doves Amongst Eagles
  • World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
  • Imaging and Imagining Illness: Becoming Whole in a Broken Body
  • La duchessa di Raven
  • Life On The Golden Horn
  • Corações feridos
  • Battle of Britain: Harry Woods, England, 1939-1941
After 9 years, 4 books, and 1 pretty good movie, R and Julie's story is about to reach its conclusion.

THE LIVING, book 4 of the Warm Bodies Series, is available now.

isaacmarion.com

Warm Bodies (3 books)
  • The Burning World  (Warm Bodies, #2)
  • The Living (Warm Bodies, #3)
“I want to change my punctuation. I long for exclamation marks, but I'm drowning in ellipses.” 1096 likes
“In my mind I am eloquent; I can climb intricate scaffolds of words to reach the highest cathedral ceilings and paint my thoughts. But when I open my mouth, everything collapses.” 942 likes