Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Archive - General > JK Rowling says Harry should have ended up with Hermione

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leigh (new)

Leigh | 6313 comments Source: http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014...

JK Rowling: Hermione should have married Harry, not Ron
Magical series author says pairing of bright, ambitious witch with languid, surly wizard was personal rather than literary decision

Press Association
The Guardian, Sunday 2 February 2014 07.37 EST

JK Rowling says she may have got it wrong by matching Hermione with Ron in the Harry Potter books

Harry Potter heroine Hermione Granger and flame-haired friend Ron Weasley's unlikely romance left some fans calling for the female character to be paired up with the protagonist instead.

And now the wizard series' creator has admitted she may have got it wrong by matching Hermione with Ron.

In an interview with quarterly lifestyle magazine Wonderland, whose forthcoming edition is guest-edited by Hermione actress Emma Watson, author JK Rowling said Ron may not have been the most suitable beau.

She told the magazine: "I wrote the Hermione-Ron relationship as a form of wish fulfilment. That's how it was conceived, really.

"For reasons that have very little to do with literature and far more to do with me clinging to the plot as I first imagined it, Hermione ended up with Ron.

"I know, I'm sorry, I can hear the rage and fury it might cause some fans, but if I'm absolutely honest, distance has given me perspective on that. It was a choice I made for very personal reasons, not for reasons of credibility.

"Am I breaking people's hearts by saying this? I hope not."

The author said the duo would have likely needed relationship counselling, while Watson herself also doubted the couple's potential longevity.

"I think there are fans out there who know that too and who wonder whether Ron would have really been able to make her happy," Watson told the Sunday Times.

========================================

Honestly, I can't decide if she really means this or just wants to draw attention to the Harry Potter universe. What does everyone else think?

message 2: by Leigh (new)

Leigh | 6313 comments Parinita wrote: "Maybe she changed her mind now but reading the series its clear who is ment to be with whom.
Ironically, I never saw Ginny and Harry together. I felt it was shoved a bit on us. I was rooting for H..."

I thought he might end up with Luna too.

message 3: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Davie (kathydavie) | 23 comments I also thought Harry would end up with Luna, but it also feels right with Ginny. Keeps it all in the family.

message 4: by Linda (new)

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1239 comments I thought that Harry and Hermione were just meant to be friends. This way Ron and Harry can be inlaws lol.

message 5: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 9 comments I agree. The Harry-Ginny seemed to be just an afterthought. Like Rowling thought "huh. Harry needs a girl."

message 6: by Leigh (new)

Leigh | 6313 comments Parinita wrote: "Kirsten wrote: "I agree. The Harry-Ginny seemed to be just an afterthought. Like Rowling thought "huh. Harry needs a girl.""

Lol! So true!"

It definitely felt a little force to me as well.

message 7: by Brendan (new)

Brendan This is quite the spoiler.

message 8: by Marion (new)

Marion Mlodynia | 573 comments I never read any of the Harry Potter books and nor do I have the desire to do so. Just saying.

message 9: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth to me Harry and Ginny reminded me way to much of his mom and dad, and as for Hermione. I just can't see her with Harry, now I could see him with Luna for some reason that match would have worked a hole lot better.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) I think she was leading up to Harry/Ginny over several books. It makes sense too since she started with a massive crush on him.

I don't think Hermione makes sense for Harry, they seem more in friend territory. I did like Hermione and Ron though, and like how they would stay connected and related. Ginny is just okay, kind of boring and in the background, but it makes sense and now they can all remain close and friends. I like Luna as a character but never felt romance between her and Harry - he was nice to her but she seemed to get on his nerves.

message 11: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Mclaren | 185 comments Erin (Paperbackstash) *Proud Book Hoarder* wrote: "I think she was leading up to Harry/Ginny over several books. It makes sense too since she started with a massive crush on him.

I don't think Hermione makes sense for Harry, they seem more in frie..."

I agree with you, Erin. The attraction between Ron and Hermione ran all through the books and I actually thought Hermione wouldn't have been that irritated with Ron as often as she was if she didn't also care deeply about him. Harry and Hermione was obvious -- too obvious. That's why I liked the ending.