Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Reading Slumps

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments I think we can all agree that reading slumps are very annoying and we all hate them!

Let's talk about our reading slumps. Have you had one recently? What put you into the slump? What did you do to get out of the slump? How long are your slumps usually?

Let us know all about your reading slumps and share your tips on how to get out of them so we can keep on reading!

message 2: by Cindy ♥ (new)

Cindy ♥ | 245 comments I always get a reading slump after a finish a book I didn't enjoy. :/

message 3: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments I try to read every day. When I get super busy I sometimes miss my daily reading which will get me into a slump. I have been so busy the last few weeks. Crazy busy, putting me into a huge slump! :(

message 4: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments If I read similar or too badly-written books in a row.

message 5: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Gisbelle wrote: "If I read similar or too badly-written books in a row."

That is never a good thing.. This slump I am in right now is killer. :(

message 6: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments It's sad to hear that, J :( Now what I normally do is to switch genre. Lately, I find that if I stick to reading only one book at a time, it tends to help prevent that from happening.

message 7: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) I usually had reading slumps when the book was really boring and had no twist. so annoying.

Also books that literally broke my heart.

message 8: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Switching genres is a good idea. I was thinking of reading a fluffy contemporary but I have been reading contemporary a lot lately.. Guess I should read dystopian or something..

I think the one book at a time is a good idea too. I have always wanted to read one book at a time so this may be the time to start!

message 9: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Beatrice wrote: "I usually had reading slumps when the book was really boring and had no twist. so annoying.

Also books that literally broke my heart."

That is understandable. How do you get out of your slumps?

message 10: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) I usually read a short contemporary novel to get over it or sometimes browsing on my bookshelf and select another book that I feel like reading.

message 11: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments I don't get in a reading slump per se, but if I set a book aside for whatever reason for more than a couple days I have THE HARDEST time getting back into it. I forget who the characters are or what happened and I don't want to reread what I've already read. So I'll let that book sit FOREVER!! :O(

message 12: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Yeah, I think I will try a short contemporary.. Even though I just said I may want to try a dystopian.. Oh well.

Any recommendations for short contemps?

message 13: by Angela (new)

Angela | 17787 comments LOL I've pretty much been in a reading slump since last year. I don't read much anymore.

message 14: by Angela (new)

Angela | 17787 comments Jacquelyn wrote: "Yeah, I think I will try a short contemporary.. Even though I just said I may want to try a dystopian.. Oh well.

Any recommendations for short contemps?"

You might want to switch genres...

message 15: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Now I am not sure on whether to read a dystopian which are usually long and get me confused at some point or risk trying another contemporary.

Do you guys have recs for books you think are just so amazing that they would pull me out of the slump?

message 16: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments I'm lucky that I haven't been in a slump these past months.

message 17: by Angela (new)

Angela | 17787 comments Gisbelle wrote: "I'm lucky that I haven't been in a slump these past months."

I wish I were you. :(

message 18: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Gisbelle wrote: "I'm lucky that I haven't been in a slump these past months."

Yeah, they suck! :( :( :(

message 19: by Angela (new)

Angela | 17787 comments Jacquelyn wrote: "Now I am not sure on whether to read a dystopian which are usually long and get me confused at some point or risk trying another contemporary.

Do you guys have recs for books you think are just s..."

I've got nothing. I'm having the same problem as you.

message 20: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments I just hate these slumps. The weird thing is I really want to read but nothing I try seems interesting..

message 21: by Angela (new)

Angela | 17787 comments Jacquelyn wrote: "I just hate these slumps. The weird thing is I really want to read but nothing I try seems interesting.."

Same same same. I'm trying to get into The Realm of Possibility but DL's losing me.

message 22: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Sorry to hear that. :( I don't know what to do!!

message 23: by Angela (new)

Angela | 17787 comments Haha, let me know if you figure out something that works.

message 24: by Angela (new)

Angela | 17787 comments I'm about to start Legend for a buddy read, which isn't contemporary. I'm hoping it helps.

message 25: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Will do! I have heard such good things about that one so I hope you enjoy it and it pulls you out!!

message 26: by Angela (new)

Angela | 17787 comments Me too. :) I'm pretty excited about starting it, but I don't know how this will turn out. I don't like many books that aren't contemporary...

message 27: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Yeah, contemporary is my favorite genre. I do like other genres but I am picky.

message 28: by Angela (new)

Angela | 17787 comments LOL. Contemporary isn't just my favorite; it's pretty much all I ever read. I can't get into other genres, especially if it's not realistic.

message 29: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Yeah. I normally read contemporary/realistic.

message 30: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer I've recently had a reading slump. It lasted a number of days but I find that once I've found another book that I like it generally helps me get out of the slump. One of the library book clubs I'm a member of has been a bit haphazard in the book choices interesting me which has been extremely disappointing. Hopefully the March selection will change that.

message 31: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Zara wrote: "I've recently had a reading slump. It lasted a number of days but I find that once I've found another book that I like it generally helps me get out of the slump. One of the library book clubs I'm ..."

I hope the March selection is much better for you because no one likes slumps!

message 32: by Haily (new)

Haily Claire (hailyhay) I always get in a slump after I finish a really amazing or emotional book, because then the next few books I read just don't measure up, and I end up reading like four books at once, and maybe finishing one.
... Sadly, that is happening right now. The Fault in Our Stars threw me off my game, and now I'm reading four different books off and on. I think Tidal might break it though.

My usual solution is either to quickly read a silly romance (I call them palate cleansers) or another really good book.

message 33: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 4400 comments I hate when I am having a reading slump, there are times when it's hard to get out of one. What usually works for me is that I re-read one of my favorite books. Harry Potter is one of my go to books for that.

- ̗̀  jess  ̖́- (kazbrekkers) | 71 comments i've just had one, i couldn't concentrate on any of the books i read. i also was watching a tv show that was hard to stop, and also i wasn't feeling too good about school starting - but it goes away like it usually does.

message 35: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Amanda wrote: "I hate when I am having a reading slump, there are times when it's hard to get out of one. What usually works for me is that I re-read one of my favorite books. Harry Potter is one of my go to bo..."

Reread a favorite book is a good solution. I haven't reread any books these past few years, though. But if I do, Harry Potter sure is my go-to book as well :D

message 36: by Carly (new)

Carly Schnable Sometimes I feel like I'm in a slump, so I kind of back off of the book I'm reading, but that just makes the slump even worse! Should I just power through?

message 37: by -RininTa- (new)

-RininTa- (rinz) | 1090 comments I feel reading slump if I read a book with a same theme from the previous book. For example when I read Blood Red Road after that I tried to read Defiance by C.J.Redwine and I'd to delayed it because it moved slow. Also, when I've a lot of work to and don't have time to read, then the next I will be in reading slump.

message 38: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Carly wrote: "Sometimes I feel like I'm in a slump, so I kind of back off of the book I'm reading, but that just makes the slump even worse! Should I just power through?"

What book is it?

message 39: by Carly (new)

Carly Schnable It's not just one specific book. It's happened several times.

message 40: by John (new)

John Burnett | 23 comments Reading slumps can happen just because you run out of time. Today there is a lot out there vying for your attentions - school, job, family, even other media. A true reader always returns, sometimes more energized than he/she was before. That's my experience.

message 41: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 19 comments I find I get in a serious slump after I just cannot finish a book or if it was just completely awful for me to read. I am kind of in one right now, I just can't seem to find the motivation to finish the current book I am reading.

message 42: by John (new)

John Burnett | 23 comments Sometimes a reading slump happens after you read a really good book and can't find something equally good to keep your attention. That's why sequels can be very compelling. If you like the first, you probably will like the follow-up. Just a thought.

message 43: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Knittle | 12 comments I usually get into a slump when I can't get into the groove of the book I am currently trying to read at the time.

message 44: by ♥Jessica, (new)

♥Jessica, ♥Lady of the Library♥ I get slumps after a few months of reading nonstop. It's like I need to take a little break or something.

message 45: by Dezra (new)

Dezra Bennett (dezra_bennett) | 652 comments I'm currently in a reading slump after reading so much (January - 5 books, February - 9 books, & March - 12 books so far) So yeah with me already have read 26 books total in such a short time I've finally 'met my match.' :/

message 46: by Morrigan (new)

Morrigan When I am in a MAJOR slump, I basically FORCE myself to read at least a chapter a day (sometimes I'll cheat and pick a book with short chapters). Eventually I get to a book I love and start wanting to read more, so then I don't have to force myself.

message 47: by Jojobean (new)

Jojobean | 675 comments My slumps are weird. I usually obsessively read for like 9 months straight and just bang out book after book and not do much else. Then after all those months I can go like 2 months without reading or feeling like I wanna read cuz I have other stuff I want to do. I'm currently in a slump now. I just don't feel like reading even though I have hundreds of books I need to get through. I hope it ends soon :(

message 48: by Jojobean (new)

Jojobean | 675 comments Jacquelyn wrote: "Gisbelle wrote: "If I read similar or too badly-written books in a row."

That is never a good thing.. This slump I am in right now is killer. :("

I hear you. I'm in a major one right now. Just have no motivation to read and I have all these challenges I have to finish!

message 49: by Jojobean (new)

Jojobean | 675 comments John wrote: "Reading slumps can happen just because you run out of time. Today there is a lot out there vying for your attentions - school, job, family, even other media. A true reader always returns, sometim..."

I agree. That's how I am after a slump. I obsessively read for months

message 50: by Mel (new)

Mel | 200 comments A slump for me is like reading two books in a row that I didn't like or DNFing a book and then not enjoying the next one or just reading a string of mediocre books and that's kind of what's been happening lately.

« previous 1