Literary Exploration discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
The Book-Club Books > Call for Nomination for Fantasy Poll

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) | 1255 comments Mod
We need nominations for the Fantasy poll. Let us know what book you are suggesting.

Rules
* can't nominate your own book
* only one nomination per person
* first 6-8 books will be chosen
* need to tell us why you are suggesting this book
* be respectful of other people's choices
* Books already been a group read will be rejected

message 2: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 86 comments I nominate Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett. In guides to the reading order of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series it is said that the Watch books are the best and Guards! Guards! is the first book of that group and is thus recommended as the starter book for this very popular fantasy series.

message 3: by MK (last edited Feb 03, 2014 05:46PM) (new)

MK (wisny) | 120 comments I really had a hard time choosing between The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss and The Lightning Thief, by Rick Riordan. I went with Riordan's book only because looks like Rothfuss' book is going to win the poll for the March read in my Sci Fi/Fantasy group, and doubling up felt like cheating a bit ;-).

So, Riordan's book is the first in a fairly recent, highly successful, fantasy series, called Percy Jackson and the Olympians. This series is aimed at Young Adults, but like many YA titles, it's said to be well-enjoyed by adults too. I haven't read any of this series yet, but did buy the first book not too long ago, maybe as part of an Amazon featured deal, not sure. Here's the book:

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan - The Lightning Thief, by Rick Riordan. :)

message 4: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

To help push this a long I'll nominate The Magicians by Lev Grossman. Mainly because I struggle with fantasy so I would rather read a more literary fantasy novel, this one has been on my radar for a while now. Also who doesn't like a self-loathing Harry Potter type protagonist.

I wonder if our Sci-Fi/Fantasy expert (Kim) will nominate something. I'm sure he can offer something fantastic to read.

message 5: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 120 comments Michael wrote: "To help push this a long I'll nominate The Magicians by Lev Grossman. Mainly because I struggle with fantasy so I would rather read a more literary fantasy novel, thi..."

I just added that to my tbr shelf yesterday! It looks like a good one :)

message 6: by Franky (new)

Franky I'd like to nominate Neverwhere, as it has won a few literary awards and is regarded as great fantasy novel.

Plus, I own it and haven't read it yet. :)

message 7: by Kim (new)

Kim I wanted something that would suit this group more than my standard fantasy fare so I'll nominate Little, Big by John Crowley. I think it would fit the reading style of this group.

message 8: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Nice list, 5 books nominated (still want another two)

Guards! Guards!
The Lightning Thief
The Magicians
Neverwhere
Little, Big

message 9: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Damien wrote: "The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. The second book is coming out in a few months."

why are you nominating it?

message 10: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Thanks Damien. One more nomination and we will have a poll

message 11: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 309 comments I'll nominate Mythago Wood by Robert Holdstock.
It's different, the layer George Martin sort of got into with Game of Thrones and the children of the wood.

message 12: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Awesome, our poll is complete and live. Go vote.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.