City of Books discussion

BOOK QUESTIONS > Have you Ever Met an Author?

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by grimple (new)

grimple ᵔᴥᵔ | 377 comments Mod
Has anyone ever met an author?

I've met Holly Black and Cassandra Clare at a book signing :) This is what I probably looked like:
description

message 2: by Arielle Rae (last edited Feb 03, 2014 08:12PM) (new)

Arielle Rae Aguilar | 55 comments I met an author on our country's version of Comic-Con, but he was still unknown then. I forgot his name, but I'm pretty sure he's a bit famous now

Oh I also met Patrick Ness and some other authors at a Readers Festival

Other than that, authors rarely come where I live

message 3: by Jinnie (new)

Jinnie | 204 comments I met Rick Riordan at one of his book signings

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Where are book signings usually held?

message 5: by grimple (new)

That's awesome!

& Usually in book stores- barnes & noble or smaller, local ones. The one I went to was in MA so we had to drive an hour or so

message 6: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) I've met Nicholas Sparks (the first ever book signing I've attended and there are over 1k people attended it but only 1k people got their books signed), Lauren Oliver, Tahereh Mafi, Ransom Riggs, Alyson Noel, Kiera Cass, and Gayle Forman.

I'll be meeting Mitch Albom on February 22nd and Tahereh Mafi, Ransom Riggs (again) and Veronica Rossi on April 26. :D

message 7: by grimple (new)

@Beatrice wow! how do you find all of these book signings?

message 8: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) Grace wrote: "@Beatrice wow! how do you find all of these book signings?"

There are announcements in our local bookstore here in the Philippines. Lots of authors coming this year and I met some of my Goodreads friends there. :)

message 9: by Taja (new)

Taja  (taozi) | 48 comments I've met Patrick Ness in november. It was awesome! Slovenia is quite a small country so there wasn't any long lines and we could all talk to him. It was really great!

message 10: by Zoe (new)

Zoe MacIver | 35 comments I met Jacqueline Wilson and had lunch with Keith Grey but it's rare that authors ever come to where I live

message 11: by Jinnie (new)

Jinnie | 204 comments @Grace I live in MA ;)

message 12: by Saleen (new)

Saleen I met Peter O. Knight, author of The Heart. Really good book!

message 13: by grimple (new)

@Jinnie I've been to MA a bunch of times!

@Saleen What's it about?

message 14: by Saleen (new)

Saleen Grace wrote: "@Jinnie I've been to MA a bunch of times!

@Saleen What's it about?"

The Heart is about a man whose wife is in need of a heart transplant and he finds her journal. He reads it and finds out things about his wife he never knew before. It's a really good book!

message 15: by grimple (new)

That sounds good! I'll check it out, thanks :)

message 16: by Nikita (new)

Nikita No, but I would love to meet Richelle Mead, Colleen Houck, Julie Kagawa, and Susan Ee.

message 17: by Megan, The Calm One (new)

Megan | 95 comments Mod
This Author came to my school. Other then that, no.

Doug Wilhelm

message 18: by Bonny Bon Bon (new)

Bonny Bon Bon (bonnybonbon) | 114 comments wow @Beatrice I envy you. I have only met Nalini Singh, we don't get many authors here :( but I really want to go to the RT book convention in new Orleans or book bash in florida just to meet a few of my fave authors.

message 19: by Kate (new)

Kate ★ (spillsandspoils) | 543 comments Mod
@Bonny, is that the RT book convention on May13-18??? I wanna go there toooooo!!!!

message 20: by grimple (new)

oh that reminds me! The author of Dormia (Not Jake, the other one) came to my middle school when I was in 7th or 8th grade.

message 21: by Joi (new)

Joi | 87 comments I met Ernest Cline (the author of Ready Player One) over the summer.

message 22: by Bonny Bon Bon (new)

Bonny Bon Bon (bonnybonbon) | 114 comments @Kate, yea it is I would LOVE to go im trying to arrange it so I can but i live in Australia and its along way to go but i would loooove to go

message 23: by Kate (new)

@Bonny: Wait, what???! I thought you live somewhere near that's why you mentioned it. :) That is a long way from here. I live in Louisiana so I wanted to come to the convention! :)

message 24: by grimple (new)

I've never even heard of the RT book convention. Too bad I live in the northeast :s

message 26: by Kate (new)

Grace, I just learned about it when I visited the library this week. Here is the link https://www.rtconvention.com/

message 27: by Bonny Bon Bon (new)

Bonny Bon Bon (bonnybonbon) | 114 comments @Kate and @Grace, Yea I have some of the authors on facebook and I found out about it through them advertising it. Oh wow if I lived close enough id be there in a heart beat but alas I live min on 13 hr plane trip haha but that doesn't mean anything because I still want to go it looks amazing.

message 28: by Marybeth (new)

Marybeth (narutofan14) I have not but I do have three books signed by authors that other people in my family have seen

message 29: by Saleen (new)

Saleen Grace wrote: "That sounds good! I'll check it out, thanks :)"

Great! :)

message 30: by grimple (new)

OMG that looks amazing. I'm getting depressed looking at that haha. Maybe one year I'll be able to go..sigh

message 31: by Bonny Bon Bon (new)

Bonny Bon Bon (bonnybonbon) | 114 comments it really does, doesn't it grace so you can see my dilemma. I wanna go so bad but can I afford it and arrange it in time. *sigh*

message 32: by Cody (new)

Cody Connolly (codyrayspeaks) I met Chris Colfer at the signing of his book The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1) by Chris Colfer . My cousin lost it, and I stammered the whole time. About 650 people showed up. It was great!

message 33: by Arielle Rae (last edited Feb 07, 2014 10:53PM) (new)

Arielle Rae Aguilar | 55 comments Bonny Bon Bon wrote: "wow @Beatrice I envy you. I have only met Nalini Singh, we don't get many authors here :( but I really want to go to the RT book convention in new Orleans or book bash in florida just to meet a few..."

I AM SO JEALOUS!!!! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE NALINI!

message 34: by Bonny Bon Bon (new)

Bonny Bon Bon (bonnybonbon) | 114 comments Arielle Rae wrote: "Bonny Bon Bon wrote: "wow @Beatrice I envy you. I have only met Nalini Singh, we don't get many authors here :( but I really want to go to the RT book convention in new Orleans or book bash in flor..."

she was really nice and great but i have to admit i had her books on my TBR shelf for ages and its not often at all we get any famous authors here so when i saw she was comin i flew off to the shops and quickly read one of her books so i would at least have an idea of what she was talking about haha

i also saw George R. R. Martin from a distance and met some of the cast of game of thrones (sorry i know off topic a little since its tv) but i cried i was so excited. i haven't read the books but love the tv show

message 35: by Emma (new)

Emma Iadanza (emmaiadanza) I met the person who wrote the Magic Tree House books, but that was years and years ago... I don't even remember it - the only thing I remember is wanting to get an older book rather than a newer one and it being one of the first things I debated against.

I have met opera singers and orchestra conductors/players... I know a guy in the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra... so sad, all my favorite authors are dead :P

message 36: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) I met Mitch Albom last Feb.22 and a lot of people came to the event. It's a huge book signing event here in my place.

Here's my Mitch Albom book signing experience. http://beatricemasalunga.blogspot.com...

will be meeting Becca Fitzpatrick on Saturday! :D (Hush Hush, Crescendo, Silence & Finale)

message 37: by Gina's (new)

Gina's (ginasgoodreads) | 54 comments Actually 2 Central American authors.

I wish that I could meet North American authors too one day.

message 38: by Julia (new)

Julia Wang (liamalfoy) | 40 comments I've met Shelly Crane, and Amy A Bartol