Start by marking “The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)

The Wishing Spell

(The Land of Stories #1)

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  78,469 ratings  ·  6,545 reviews
Alex and Conner Bailey's world is about to change, in this fast-paced adventure that uniquely combines our modern day world with the enchanting realm of classic fairy tales.
The Land of Stories tells the tale of twins Alex and Conner. Through the mysterious powers of a cherished book of stories, they leave their world behind and find themselves in a foreign land full of won
Published July 17th 2012 by Little, Brown Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Wishing Spell, please sign up.
Mary Ellen I pretty much love that someone answered your comment. Hopefully Kaitlyn brought it back and you got to read it- a year ago...

·  78,469 ratings  ·  6,545 reviews

Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, fantasy
4.5*

This was SO much fun! Such a quick and engaging read. I loved how all the fairy tales I know and love were incorporated into the story. I actually listened to the audiobook, which is read by Chris Colfer, and it really enhanced my reading experience.
I will admit, I found the writing at times to be a tad lackluster, but that was mostly a problem with showing vs. telling that I think can be attributed to the fact that it's a middle grade novel. I think this is a series I will definitely be co
Lola
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Who ever said an actor cannot be an author? No one ever, because it’s not true at all.

Well this was such a lovely surprise. The world that Chris Colfer introduces us to is filled with magic, charming creatures and familiar names of princesses, princes, fairytale heroes and heroines.

Although I’m one of those readers who can read anything from children’s books to mature adult books, it doesn’t mean I like everything I stumble across. For my middle grade reads, I look for 1. creativity, 2. enchanti
Jazz
Jul 26, 2012 rated it did not like it
In Which I Drink Haterade and Review The Wishing Spell...

I'm not getting my hate on just to hate. I'm getting my hate on because this book was the most painful reading experience I have ever had. I didn't think a book could irritate me so much that it would result in a terrible weight in my chest, but it did. It did.

Colfer's prose is cliche and redundant from the first page. His sentences are short and simplistic with no signs of imagery or depth. Instead of showing emotion and action, Colfer op
Vanessa
Actor, Golden Globe winner, 2-time Emmy nominee, one of Time Magazine's 100 Most Influential People in the World, singer, screen writer, producer ... and now author? And all of that at just 22 years old? I understand how some people might be a bit skeptical in regards to Chris Colfer's actual writing talents, but the truth is - the guy just seems to be a natural-born storyteller, and it doesn't matter which medium he uses for it.

His first novel, "The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell", is the f
Nicole
Aug 30, 2012 rated it did not like it
The main reason I am writing this review here is because I am tired of hearing only positive things about this book. I find it misleading and I know that there are many other better written stories for our readers. Chris Colfer is an actor on the television show Glee, and this book reads like a long drawn out screenplay. Descriptions are either nonexistent or so basic that my students could paint a far better image. When describing a cavalcade of knights arriving in front the twins, Colfer descr ...more
Johara Almogbel
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 52-books-2012
I picked this book up at the airport because I was trying to convince my ten year old brother to start reading more imaginative stories and less... Diary of a Wimpy Kid.

I figured I'd read it first and see what it was like. Then I found out the author was this dude on glee, apparently, and I admit my enthusiasm kind of dipped. And, good thing it did, because this book was very... I don't know. The plot and the fairytale world was good enough, but the whole story was quite bland. Not to mention th
Rachel Reads Ravenously
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rachel Reads Ravenously by: Melissa Wike

THIS WAS SO CUTE!

I have to say, I've been very skeptical about this book because to me, one of the kids from Glee wrote it. But now I have to say, I am totally impressed! Chris Colfer is a great author!

I decided to pick up this book because there is not a day that goes by at my job that I am not asked for a book in this series (seriously, everyday they want The Land of Stories, second only to Harry Potter and Dog Man). That and a recommendation from a friend had me purchasing this from a local
Melodee
Sep 12, 2012 rated it did not like it
The synopsis of this book showed such a fun, interesting idea, and the artwork is done by one of my favorite book artists. I began reading it to see if my daughter would enjoy it, because she gets easily bored with books. I'll not be recommending it to her. Too bad the artist can't write, too. This is obviously a first time writer, and I wonder if he was published so quickly and easily because he's on TV. I dunno. There was too much going on without much consequence. It was supposedly a dangerou ...more
Molly
Sep 17, 2012 rated it did not like it
I wanted to read this book and like it, but I just couldn't finish it. I barely got to the start of Alex's and Conner's adventure, but there were so many things that annoyed me in this book.
The way the book talked about fairy tales made me want to grind my teeth. The emphasis on "all fairy tales have a moral and there is only one correct interpretation" really was what made me give up on this book. It indicates a real lack of research or general knowledge about either fairy tales or literary an
Maria Espadinha
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Os Gémeos da Fantasia

Alex é uma jovem solitária, "demasiado esperta para seu próprio bem".

Connor é sarcástico, dissonante, rebelde...

Dois Gémeos sem mundo, descobrem o Mundo em Terras de Fantasia!

Não é esse o poder encantador das estórias?!
Mergulham-nos em mundos não nossos, onde nos encontramos e perdemos deliciosamente!!!

“There is this idea that you either read to escape or you read to find yourself.”
I believe that both things happen ;)
A leitura é um voo exterior, rumo à verdade interior!

"O F
 Li'l Owl ~ Incorrigible Reader
Charming and highly entertaining!
Witty and fun, with a dash of danger this book comes!

Twins, Alex and Connor Bailey, are just like other children their age. Thier father owns a bookstore, their mother is a pediatric cancer nurse, and they've grown up with among the fairy tales that were read to them by their grandmother.
Then, two days before the twins' eleventh birthday, their dad is killed in a car accident.
Thier father's loss hits them all very hard and their mom must work double shifts to
Lilian
Aug 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Writing felt annoyingly clunky, and not in a juvenile way (though I did think the writing explained EVERY LITTLE THING. I am not stupid here!)--in a messy way. I listened to the audiobook, and I am surprised Chris Colfer didn't feel the urge to clean his weird sentences. The dialogue felt too rigid, and all those he said, she saids annoyed me (maybe more because it was an audiobook, complete with voice actors?) I have a feeling Colfer made Alex and Connor twins just so he could refer to them as ...more
Mel
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars, read-in-2017
The Land of Stories book one follows two twins, Alex and Connor Bailey, who one day after hearing so much about a world full of fairytales, end up in that world.

I really enjoyed this! It took me a very long time to read. For some reason, despite reading quickly and the story going by smoothly, every time I looked at my page numbers I felt like I had only read 10 pages. I think that's because so much happens in these pages and none of the events themselves were particularly long, so it went by "
Becky
Aug 19, 2012 rated it did not like it
If I had only one word for this book it would be "boring." There are problems with this book at every level. I bought it because I like Chris Colfer and was interested to see what he wrote like. He sings way better than he writes.
However, all the problems I have with this book are age-related. He writes like a teenager. His diction is painful, problems are CONSTANTLY being solved through happy coincidences, the tension is poorly handled (basically non-existent), there are italics and ellipses ev
Therese
So, was that ending exactly like the Narnia ending or what?

A part of me thinks I would've enjoyed the book more if I was a bit younger. The other part of me is saying "uhm Therese you read a lot of children books, and you don't have any problems with them." So who knows? Maybe I would've liked it more if I was 10. Maybe not.

The good parts:
* There were some really good and funny quotes.

The bad parts:
* The teacher at the start made me really, really angry. She was just extremely pretentious, and w
Bianca
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
“It doesn’t matter how greatly you’ve been hurt or how much you’re hurting, it’s what you do with the pain that counts. You could cry for years, and rightfully so, or you could choose to learn and grow from it. Take it from me: I spent years hiding in a hole, afraid to come out because of what people would think of me. But one day I decided to leave, and I ended up saving lives!”

"The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell" is the most incredible book I've read since "The Never-ending Story", and tha
Yana
Jan 18, 2012 rated it liked it
I can see why many wonder about it being another celebrity using a ghost writer but Chris Colfer has been into writting for far longer than you think. While not professionally, and it's fun because he didn't do professional acting before Glee and a short movie and ressulted excelent on it, he's done work adapting musicals and being on the writers club at his school. While that is cute and all, there's then that he's done the scriptwritting for Struck By Lightning, a movie which he stars and prod ...more
Mimi 'Pans' Herondale
This is my #1 favorite series of all time, I am now ashamed to say that I didn't even want to read this book at first. I disgust myself. But now I have up for that and read those books so many times that its hard to count. Sadly, I do not own these books so I got them from the library. This is my dream: to own the entire series some day. I wish that the Land of Stories could be real, it would be so AMAZING! In the series my favorite characters are: (WARNING: get ready to sit here for an hour!)
Co
Cheryl
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Well-intentioned but clumsy. So many little things bothered me, and would totally have bothered me when I was young, too. What did the twins eat? Why were there so many castles and so few villages? How did a maiden give birth (maybe her name was Mary)? Otoh, many good messages about courage, honor, respect, second chances, alternative points of view. Not for jaded & impatient me, but good for some.

Oh, a little confusion about the intended age of the child reader. It's written as if for age 6
Sara (sarawithoutanH)
I was recommended this book by quite a few people when I did my middle grade recs video. Unfortunately, I did not enjoy this at all and ended up DNF'ing pretty early on. This is the first book I've DNF'd this year but I just couldn't do it. I think I'd enjoy this book if I were a lot younger. It's not bad by any means, I just don't think I'm the intended reader. The writing style read a little young for me, but I think if you're someone who absolutely loves fairytales you might like this.
Tammy
Aug 10, 2012 rated it did not like it
Being a fan of Glee and generally supportive of all the cast (and being a huge fan of children's fantasy novels) I decided to read this book.

I found the writing to be of extremely poor quality for several reasons.

1) The sentences were far too simplistic, even for a children's book
For example he uses "Connor said" or "Alex said" every single time they speak.

2) As someone else mentioned, Colfer simply tells the reader what is happening rather than showing us, as the writing completely lacks imagi
Carla Dente
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una historia muy bonita y entretenida♥
VIDEO RESEÑA (sin spoilers) + CONCURSO PARA GANAR EL LIBRO (arg): https://youtu.be/9QIdAaU1bn0
Izzy
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*The reason as to why it took me so long to read this is because I was caught up in college work and didn't have the time to sit down and read*

This book was so much fun! It was fast paced and kept me hooked!

At first I was a little hesitant as I stick to YA and don't read middle grade books. This was marketed as a middle grade/YA and sounded interesting and so I picked it up.
This book was amazing! It pulled me right out of my slump and I really enjoyed it.

The main characters, Alex and Conner, wer
Danny Phanton
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reseña completa en el blog: La cueva de Danny.

No importa cuánto te han herido o cuánto estás sufriendo, lo que verdaderamente importa es lo que haces con el dolor. Podrías llorar por años y con razón, o podrías elegir aprender de él y crecer.

Es la segunda vez que lo leo y me gustó igual que la primera, super entretenido de principio a fin y todo el tiempo pasa algo, la verdad esta completamente recomendado.
-------------------------------------------------------

¡Me ha encantado! El libro es basta
Rachel Sharpe
Jul 06, 2012 rated it did not like it

I really tried to like this book. I just couldn't do it. The dialogue and narrative is stilted, and the descriptions are just weird sometimes. (I'm still trying to figure out how metal chains "rustle".) Despite all this, I might have liked the book if the characters were even remotely likable or realistic. They weren't. Every character was so fake. I couldn't make it past chapter three.

I tried. I really did, but this book just had too many fundamental problems.
Olivier Delaye
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely and totally loved reading this!
Leona  Carstairs
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is my younger sisters favorite series of all time and while I didn't love it as much as her, I still did love the characters and how fun it was overall. I have one problem, it being that I dislike Mr. Colfer's writing, it felt choppy to my taste, but since I REALLY enjoyed this I think a rating of 3.75 stars would do my feelings justice!
Peyton Reads
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
IT'S SO INCREDIBLY GOOD WHERE IS THE NEXT ONE!?
jaroda
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was just as much fun as I remembered. I can't wait to finally dive into the sequels. Perfect for fans of the TV show ONCE UPON A TIME.
Heather
Before I review this book, I must tell you that the author, Chris Colfer, is one of my favorite actors, but as I read this book I put that out of my mind to judge him as a novelist only. I have attempted to review this book as fairly and impartially as I do all the novels I read.

There is no question that this story is entertaining. The number of times I laughed out loud, teared up, and let my imagination run wild with theories cannot be counted. Colfer is, as he’s said in his own words, a consum
Anyone Else Hate This Book? 13 43 Mar 17, 2019 02:09PM
who else loved this book 44 101 Jan 10, 2019 06:54PM
LOVE SPELLS 1 1 Oct 28, 2018 10:33AM
HMSA Summer Reading: Book Review 5 14 Aug 17, 2018 10:14AM
Halifax YA Bookclub: THE LAND OF STORIES - July 2018 1 2 Jul 15, 2018 04:14PM
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom (The League of Princes, #1)
  • Storybound (Storybound #1)
  • The Sinister Sweetness of Splendid Academy
  • House of Secrets (House of Secrets, #1)
  • The Spindlers
  • The Great Unexpected
  • Hold Fast
  • Nicholas St. North and the Battle of the Nightmare King
  • The Bully Book
  • Earthquake Shock (Disaster Strikes, #1)
  • The Templeton Twins Have an Idea (Templeton Twins, #1)
  • Half Upon a Time (Half Upon a Time, #1)
  • Hollow Earth
  • Remarkable
  • Secrets at Sea
  • Of Giants and Ice (The Ever Afters #1)
  • Between Two Ends
Chris Colfer is an Emmy-nominated and Golden Globe-winning actor best-known for his portrayal of Kurt Hummel on the FOX television series "Glee".

He is also a New York Times bestselling author whose books include the first three novels in the "Land of Stories" series ("The Wishing Spell", "The Enchantress Returns" and "A Grimm Warning") as well as "Struck By Lightning: The Carson Philips Journal"

The Land of Stories (6 books)
  • The Enchantress Returns (The Land of Stories, #2)
  • A Grimm Warning (The Land of Stories, #3)
  • Beyond the Kingdoms (The Land of Stories, #4)
  • An Author's Odyssey (The Land of Stories, #5)
  • Worlds Collide (The Land of Stories, #6)
“A villain is just a victim whose story hasn’t been told.” 456 likes