Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

N is for Noose (Kinsey Millhone, #14)
This topic is about N is for Noose
Adding New Books > N is for Noose - New Edition

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Z-squared (new)

Z-squared | 8580 comments definitely a reused ISBN. i made the ACE for you here:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

rivka | 41655 comments Mod
Z-squared wrote: "definitely a reused ISBN."

Not sure why you say that. The record that was here had exactly one piece of information (other than title and author): publisher. Far more likely that was in error. I corrected the existing record and deleted the unnecessary new one: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 3: by Z-squared (new)

Z-squared | 8580 comments rivka, the publishers were different. and searching for that isbn on google resulted in hits to both that publisher and another. plus the page numbers were wildly different, much bigger for the large print than the original one with the ISBN. i know we don't have a cover, so it's not technically an alternate cover edition, but i thought creating an ACE with the differing page numbers, publisher, and edition info was appropriate. i've done a lot of these already today -- did i do it wrong?

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

It depends how sure you are that they are really two different editions. Publishers change names often, and page counts online can be wildly wrong. I wouldn't use either of those by itself as reason to make a new edition instead of updating our records.

WorldCat, one of the more reliable sites for this sort of thing, only had the large print for this ISBN.

message 5: by Z-squared (new)

Z-squared | 8580 comments well, the third piece of evidence is book-in-hand by the user. i've been making ACEs for her for the last hour because she owns these.

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Feb 02, 2014 11:56AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

In that case, it's clear she has a different edition than the one we already had listed.

I don't think that was at all clear in this case, where our existing record was very sparse, and therefore more probably wrong.

message 8: by Z-squared (new)

Z-squared | 8580 comments she PM'd me to tell me these were a whole bunch of physical books she's uploading to goodreads in batches. she was asking me if i wanted to do them all in PM, but i told her no and to go ahead and post them on the discussion board. but regardless, they're all physical books that she owns. i suggested she post future requests in a single post and to explain that they are likely to be ACEs if those ISBNs are already here in the database.

anyway, whatever you decide is obviously cool, i just freaking hate ACEs!

message 9: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Z-squared wrote: "i just freaking hate ACEs!"

And I'm trying to explain that in many cases they may not be necessary.

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bookclub editions are often reprints, but they are not usually under the same ISBN.