Start by marking “N is for Noose (Kinsey Millhone, #14)” as Want to Read:
N is for Noose (Kinsey Millhone, #14)

N is for Noose

(Kinsey Millhone #14)

Kinsey Millhone should have done something else--she should have turned the car in the direction of home. Instead, she was about to put herself in the gravest jeopardy of her career.

Tom Newquist had been a detective in the Nota Lake sheriff's office--a tough, honest cop respected by everyone. When he died suddenly, the townsfolk were saddened but not surprised: Just shy of
Published June 20th 2008 by MacMillan General Books (first published May 15th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about N is for Noose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about N is for Noose

Start your review of N is for Noose (Kinsey Millhone, #14)
Jilly
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Well, we all know by now that Kinsey is an idiot. She pretty much catches every bad guy because she annoys them so much that they seek her out to try and kill her. They always end up telling her that, yes, they are the bad guy, and then they go into that long bad-guy monologue of hows and whys and it was their bad childhood's fault, the priest touched them in the no-no place... yada yada yada..... and they would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for her meddling...

It's too bad she hates dogs
James
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Book Review
3.5 out of 5 stars to N is for Noose, the 14th book in the "Kinsey Millhone" cozy mystery series, written in 1998 by Sue Grafton. When one of your own dies, it's hard enough. But when his widow begs for you to help solve the case, as she doesn't think her husband died of natural causes, you're in a tough spot. Especially when you have a feeling something dangerous is going on, your first instincts are always right. But Kinsey takes the case and soon finds herself embroiled
Phrynne
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 5000-2020
This was really not one of Grafton's best efforts. I often think it is a mistake when she takes Kinsey away from home. Somehow things never seem to work as effectively as they do when the familiar background is around her.

The story was weak and for some reason Kinsey was being pathetic. I was surprised by that. It started early in the book before the general situation got bad, and once she felt threatened she fell apart. This is not the Kinsey we are accustomed to!

Anyway I stuck with it and I wa
Luffy
Jul 31, 2020 rated it did not like it
I dislike it when a main character plays dumb. I loathe it when the main character acts dumb when she was so much smarter in previous books.

From the earliest chapters I figured out that the red herring was just that, or was the criminal. If the next book is all about Kinsey Millhone going about her day not eating anything suspect and keeping her goddamned gun with her, I'll die happy.

Therefore, 1 star it is. You know what's funny? Not realizing even after the end that the reason for Kinsey's cas
Brenda
2.5s

On the referral of her good friend Dietz, PI Kinsey Millhone left Carson City where she’d been caring for him post-surgery, and headed to Nota Lake in California. Kinsey was going to interview a client about a prospective case, one which started off vague and confusing, and didn’t improve. Her initial instinct had been to head straight home - looking back, she would have been much better off if she’d trusted her instinct, ignored Dietz’s referral and kept on driving…

Kinsey’s investigation i
Tina
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have really been enjoying the Kinsey Millhone series. This is book 14 in the series, and it is a PI series.
Obsidian
Not a bad look at Kinsey, just not that interesting I have to say. When Kinsey tends to leave Santa Teresa the story-line often suffers. This one just fell flat to me. I think that is because it's a lot of Kinsey not putting a lot of stuff together and the ending leaving things up in the air about what happens to someone. I don't like unresolved story-lines, and this one wasn't resolved to me.

"N is for Noose" has Kinsey agreeing to go and work for a client that is referred to her by Dietz. Kinse
Una Tiers
Dec 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
This could be the third time I read this book. In 1986 a friend introduced me to the series. Going back is like visiting with an old friend. Henry Pitts is my favorite.
The plot is nicely constructed. The characters, while almost all in a town outside Santa Teresa, have a lot of traits in common.
While bougainvilleas were out of season, I skip over the descriptions of what Kinsey sees from the car window.
Still a good read.
Tom Mc Kenna
Oct 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Ending was unsatisfactory. Kinsey should be getting more savvy in her profession as she gets older and more experienced not sloppier. And why the heck doesn't she at least carry pepper spray on her?
Mary
Aug 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Sorry, I'm a nit picker!

First let me say I love the Alphabet Series. Kinsey Millhone is one of my all time favorite characters. As in many similar series, I picture the the main character as the author. (Think Michael Connelly/Harry Bosch. Or Patricia Cornwell/Kay Scarpetta.) I really dig Sue/Kinsey! I think of her as Nancy Drew for big girls.

HOWEVER....I have this bad habit, I guess, of noticing errors in books and it drives me nuts. I often wonder how books make it to the publisher with mistak
Hayley
Jun 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
Kelli
May 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
Ok, so my enjoyment for this series has dropped progressively through the past few books and I think I've finally dawned on the reason why: I hate Kinsey.

Kinsey is a rude, judgmental bitch who's greatest pleasure in life is lying to people. Every time she offers up some snarky remark (which is basically constantly) I find myself rolling my eyes and grinding my teeth. She's just a horrible person. And because I'm still irritated with her, I'll offer you several reasons why.

-We're reminded in eve
Baba
Kinsey Millhone mystery No.14 : The sudden death of a small town cop, sees his widow hire Kinsey to investigate whatever was on his mind in the last few months of his life. It seems sort of a random case, but Kinsey investigates, which opens up a can of worms, that sees an entire town turn against her! Another OK read in the series.
Emily
Apr 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Different structure, certainly an amusing ending. I like this Kinsey adventure but I was also glad when it was over. Had me reaching for the next one (almost every one does) but I was happy this particular cast of characters I wouldn't have to read about any more.
Deborah Markus
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Plenty of people have written plenty of witty, informative reviews of this book. My own short take is: if you like this series, you'll like this book. If you want to start this series, don't start here. Go back to the beginning of the alphabet.

My longer take is that I enjoy this series but I don't understand what I did wrong to deserve to read this title exactly when I did.

I'm typing this review with a splint on my "s" finger. (That sounds disgusting. Sorry. I just mean the finger I touch-type t
Linda
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite in the series but as always the writing and mystery were top notch.
Susan
Jan 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
DISCLAIMER... Kinsey Millhone is my favorite character ever and I couldn't find fault with a Sue Grafton book even if the alternative was a root canal. Having said that, it should come as no surprise that I loved 'N'. I read 'M' in a pre-published form so it's been nearly two years since I've had a chance to visit with Kinsey - way too long. She picks up a client who's husband is quite dead by natural causes (heart attack). But, the wife wants to know what was bothering him before he died. See, ...more
Elizabeth
Dec 03, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other-fiction
So glad this book is over! One of the worst books I have ever read. The characters were flat and nearly unemotional. There was absolutely no plot. The story just drug on indefinitely. This was no page turner. Ugg now I have to read the next few because someone gave them to me. There is no way I would ever spend my money of any of these books. This book is something that you just endure and get it over with, not enjoy. I almost felt like it was taking off a bandaid, you just have to get it done f ...more
Mark Baker
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2019
P.I. Kinsey Millhone has been hired to ease the mind of a widow. No one is questioning that Tom Newquist died of a heart attack, something brought on by his poor health habits. However, his widow, Selma, is convinced that something was bothering her husband in the last few weeks of his life, and she needs to know what that was. The problem is, she has no clue where Kinsey might begin to look, and none of Tom’s friends or co-workers in the Nota Lake Sheriff’s office are willing to speak ill of th ...more
Darinda
Feb 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-crime
Kinsey works a case for the widow of a dedicated cop. The widow doesn't question her husband's death, but she's curious what he was working on during his final weeks. The case becomes more complicated when Kinsey discovers the cop may have been onto something, and someone doesn't want Kinsey to know what.

The 14th Kinsey Millhone mystery in Grafton's alphabet series. This is another out of town job for Kinsey. Once again, the locals aren't keen on an outsider questioning the locals. This one see
Martha
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2017
Really enjoyed this one. Definitely one of her better ones.
Linda
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love the Sue Grafton Kinsey Milhone books and the alphabet series. WHY? N for Noose is a fun easy read. As other reviewers noted:
1) Grafton's books are not "memorable". 2) Many were written before cell phones, etc. 3) They may contain bad words and have mistakes. 4) Not a ton of romance. That is ok with me. If I forget them ten minutes later? So what. The important thing is I had a great time reading them. I like books that are entertaining and upbeat. Sue Grafton's Alphabet series fills the b
I am not surprised that Sue Grafton received the Ross Macdonald Literary Award in 2004, which is given to "a California writer whose work raises the standard of literary excellence."

4* A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone, #1)
4* B is for Burglar (Kinsey Millhone, #2)
4* C is for Corpse (Kinsey Millhone, #3)
4* D is for Deadbeat (Kinsey Millhone, #4)
4* E is for Evidence (Kinsey Millhone, #5)
4* F is for Fugitive (Kinsey Millhone, #6)
4* G is for Gumshoe (Kinsey Millhone, #7)
4* H is for Homicide (K
Alondra Miller
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, books-i-own
4.5 Stars

This was really good, and old Kinsey wasn't so bitchy. Probably because she was scared.

Kinsey is getting to close to the truth and the killer is none too happy about it. Nice pacing after the initial set-up; and before you can spur Kinsey on, things get a little scary.

I didn't see this one initially; but had an inkling mid-way through, had it taken away and then confirmed.

Lorena
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller-mystery
N is for Nothing happens.

I gave this book two stars only for the writing style. Otherwise, there were no characters whom I could find interesting and the plot was not much eventful.

I will start reading T is for trespass cause it has been in my to-read pile of books for months and I hope will like it.
David Highton
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A complex plot for Kinsey Millhone in this book, working for the wife of recently deceased and troubled detective, she starts to uncover what was troubling him. A sense of menace is present from halfway through the book, leading to a dangerous ending to the book. Great series.
Benjamin Thomas
Starting into the second half of the alphabet now and I have to say, reading these books at the rate of one every three months or so is just right for my tastes. Coming to each one of them after a short break like that is like visiting old friends. It’s a comfortable fit.

This time around, Kinsey Milhone, former cop turned private detective, takes a side journey to the small California mountain town of Nota Lake where a well-loved and highly respected member of the sheriff’s department, Tom Newqu
Dana
Mar 02, 2014 rated it liked it
I have read nearly all Sue Grafton's books in this series and find that this is a little slower than the others and not nearly as exciting. The widow of a small town policeman asks Kinsey Millhone to find the reason for her husbands fretfulness and ill-ease just before he dies of a heart attack. While this appears at first to be a fruitless exercise, Kinsey obviously disturbs someone during her rooting around into his life and begins to wonder who is upset enough to harm her. Two related murders ...more
Barbara ★
I liked the story itself but hated the narrator, Mary Peiffer. She mispronounced the city names, read too fast and provided zero inflection so everything was flat and monotone. She was unable to vary her voice so all female characters sounded the same which made it difficult to follow conversations. I could tell male from female characters but that was it. I must have picked up a cut-rate production from the library because the audio listed on GRs shows Judy Kaye as the narrator but this wasn't ...more
Quenya
OMG this book has even less redeemable characters than M is for Malice. Even though I wasn’t thrilled with any of the characters it did have two things going for it that I enjoyed better than M is for Malice. One is a really intriguing case and a cold case – I was immediately interested in the stories and how Kinsey was going to connect them. Two is when Kinsey is not in Santa Teresa. I love watching her deal with strangers and strange locations because it allows the author to really showcase Ki ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Please update page number for N is for Noose - Sue Grafton ISBN: 0330348779 4 16 Dec 08, 2019 06:15AM
Alphabet Murders: N 1 1 May 07, 2017 02:28PM
Goodreads Librari...: N is for Noose - New Edition 10 27 Feb 02, 2014 08:31PM
The Women's Myste...: N is for Noose 1 3 Aug 09, 2013 09:29PM

• Janet Evanovich Three and Four Two-Book Set (Stephanie Plum, #3-4)
  • Hide and Seek
  • One Last Time (Sandy Brown #1)
  • Finger Lickin' Fifteen (Stephanie Plum, #15)
  • blacklist (#12)
  • Verdict in Blood (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #6)
  • Murder at a Vineyard Mansion (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #15)
  • I is for Innocent by Sue Grafton Summary & Study Guide
  • Eleven on Top (Stephanie Plum, #11)
  • Twelve Sharp (Stephanie Plum, #12)
  • Running Dark (Woods Cop, #4)
  • Hard Eight (Stephanie Plum, #8)
  • Twisted Twenty-Six (Stephanie Plum, #26)
  • Handyman
  • Total Recall (V.I. Warshawski, #10)
  • Outlaw Mountain (Joanna Brady, #7)
  • Four to Score (Stephanie Plum, #4)
  • A Killing Spring (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #5)
Sue Grafton was a #1 New York Times bestselling author. She is best known for her “alphabet series” featuring private investigator Kinsey Millhone in the fictional city of Santa Teresa, California. Prior to success with this series, she wrote screenplays for television movies. Her earlier novels include Keziah Dane (1967) and The Lolly-Madonna War (1969), both out of print. In the book Kinsey and ...more

Kinsey Millhone (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone, #1)
  • B is for Burglar (Kinsey Millhone, #2)
  • C is for Corpse  (Kinsey Millhone, #3)
  • D is for Deadbeat (Kinsey Millhone, #4)
  • E is for Evidence (Kinsey Millhone, #5)
  • F is for Fugitive (Kinsey Millhone, #6)
  • G is for Gumshoe (Kinsey Millhone, #7)
  • H is for Homicide (Kinsey Millhone, #8)
  • I is for Innocent (Kinsey Millhone, #9)
  • J is for Judgment (Kinsey Millhone, #10)