Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

Just for Fun > how do you afford your books?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 117 (117 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Zouagie (new)

Zouagie | 41 comments How do you afford your book buying addicts? I know I can barely keep up but the books are too tempting. Most times I would go days without buying anything because of limited funds and then I make up for it by buying it basket-full. Sometimes my husband buys for me. How do you, as an addicted reader, afford your books?

message 2: by 'Aussie Rick' (last edited Jan 30, 2014 08:53PM) (new)

'Aussie Rick' (AussieRick) I sold my soul :(

In reality most of my spare money goes on books and coffee, I don't spend much on food or clothing, I am happy with just my books :)

message 3: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (BlueManticore) | 1839 comments Mod
The same way I afford groceries, gas for the car, etc., I budget for it. Each paycheck I put aside a certain amount of money. If I run out of that set aside money, then I wait until the next payday before I buy any more books.

message 4: by Paulfozz (last edited Jan 31, 2014 08:16AM) (new)

Paulfozz No car to pay for, a small mortgage, no evenings out at expensive restaurants/clubs/pubs/takeaway meals, no big foreign holidays, no interest in expensive clothes, and no girlfriend demanding all the above and more….

need I go on? ;-)

Honestly though, the majority of my book-buying is very inexpensive as I do hunt through charity and secondhand shops for bargains. It's when you start buying from big chains like waterstones that your expenses rocket - I could buy anywhere from 5-20 books in a charity shop for the price of one paperback in my local new book chain store.

edit: that's not to say I never buy new or expensive books though - when I buy new books they tend to be quite expensive ones - I recently bought The Handbook Of British Mammals and that was £35 (albeit reduced from the usual £70), plus have bought quite a few secondhand books for £20-35 where I particularly wanted them and that was the going rate. The point is that I buy cheap where I can, but don't avoid the big tickets if it's something special.

message 5: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (Bonfiggi) By getting them cheap on half.com.

message 6: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) I value everything by how many books I could get with it.

I don't wear make up and don't use anything other than shampoo and conditioner in my hair so save a lot on all that crap. Besides, I think - £10 for eye liner = 1.5 books. And all you do with make-up is wash it off again so that is £10 wasted whereas a book sitting on your shelf is never a waste.

Clothes I buy from the supermarket and they are cheap. I baulk at spending more than £10 on any garment. Cos you know... every pound saved is a book bought.

Also... Kindle Daily Deals can sometimes be really good, however not so good really when you get a run of decent books. Those 99ps kinda really add up.

My weakness is bookshops and I like buying new books, freshly plucked from the shelves. Trouble with second hand books is the dirty people who read them before you who leave their half consumed food behind or if they're smokers or dog earers. So a new book... is just heaven.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Today I bought a book in the bargain books bin at the grocery store. I also buy from friends of library, yard sales, thrift stores, and new from book store after bills are paid as a treat. In other words I space out places and prices.

message 8: by Karen M (new)

Karen M | 413 comments I buy used books online and usually only buy new books when I have a gift card. I buy several times a year so I don't feel too deprived and usually I will buy a dozen or so to get free shipping.

message 9: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 37 comments I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon.com (not books, stuff) and then use the accumulted points/kickback to get expensive books.

I LOVE library book sales. There's a library warehouse of used books in Cincinnati open every week and when I get the urge I go there. It's amazing how many great books at great prices there are. Esp. in my favorite genre of mysteries and historical fiction. Thousands.

Also, of course, Half Price books occasionally. Goodwill has a huge amount of books here too, though they take some sifting and you have to be in the mood.

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim (Grishamfan2) | 18 comments In The Netherlands where I live you have whats called the book fest(once a month for 4 days in a different city) and they sell books with small printing errors or slightly damaged for very cheap(sometimes only 0,75 euro's ) so I save for that every year, the first time I was there I bought 30 books for 80 euro's

message 11: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 347 comments I sell books that I have read and don't think I'll pick up again and use the $ from that to buy new books. I do try to hit used books stores, library sales and new book sale shelf. I have a select few authors I pay new book price for since prices on new books seem to be sky rocketing lately.

I budget a bit of book money every month for books.

message 12: by Thom (new)

Thom Swennes (Yorrick) | 592 comments I’ve never really thought about it. Many of my books are bought second hand and occasionally I buy from Bol.com or some established bookstore. Here in Holland, as I am sure it is in a large part of the world, traditional bookstores are rapidly becoming extinct. This is a sad and mysterious development as I think the numbers of new publications are keeping pace with new readers. Luckily I have never been in a position where I have to count my pennies and debate if I can or can not afford a book. For those who are in this situation I can only say “where there’s a will; there’s a way” and hope it provides some encouragement.

Jim, I don't think I have ever attended a book fest but it does sound interesting. Where could I find the dates and locations?

message 13: by Mary (new)

Mary | 208 comments I'm not a clothes horse, I don't care for a lot of jewelry, I don't drink, I don't smoke - - - so I buy books and a nice cup of tea. Makes me very affordable. Also, I never pay full retail price for books. I either go to charity shops or the Dollar book store.

message 14: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (Bonfiggi) Mary wrote: "I'm not a clothes horse, I don't care for a lot of jewelry, I don't drink, I don't smoke - - - so I buy books and a nice cup of tea. Makes me very affordable. Also, I never pay full retail price..."
I read years ago, that you should get the best coffee you can afford, buy books you love, and dry sheets, towels and PJs out in the sun. It works for me. I have to add my home made biscuits to the list, though.

message 15: by Lawrence (new)

Lawrence | 108 comments Well, when I was buying books before my bookshelves became full to capacity, I would get them from the library and book sells with in the St. Louis, MO areas. Now that I have a Kindle Fire, I'm getting a lot of books from Amazon, especially the free eBooks. The county libraries here has stopped selling them directly and made it possible to buy them online. I miss browsing through those bookshelves at the library.

message 16: by Sue (new)

Sue Stubbs I typically look for deals on amazon can get book bundles for $1. Library sales. And used book store and thift store. There are some authors I will buy full price. Sometimes hubby givea me money too.

message 17: by Ian (new)

Ian Hall I set aside part of my monthly wages specifically for buying books.

message 18: by Damona (new)

Damona (DarlingDamona) | 2 comments Nearly all of my books are bought second hand or from bargain bins or sale racks. Also, library books sales, Half-Price Books, freebies for the Kindle, book trades with friends...

I very rarely go to the big chain bookstores unless I was given a gift card, and even then rarely do I buy full priced books.

message 19: by GlowingFalkor (new)

GlowingFalkor My books are almost entirely bought used on Amazon, Half Price Books, Salvation Army and the like. Quite a few recently are free with a trade, as my college got a Little Library which I frequent every Thursday with books I give up and grab a new one.

The only new books I get are usually through gifts from people. Even them, I tell them not to bother getting new books; they're too expensive! And textbooks?? Psh. Amazon or ebay all the way. NO new textbooks for me unless they're impossible to find.

message 20: by Raeanna (new)

Raeanna | 2 comments I usually buy my books from thrift stores, yard sales etc. I almost never get new books unless I get a gift card or one as a present.

message 21: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (sscarllet) | 72 comments I'm a big fan of Amazon.co.uk. I do read a lot of history books so those aren't always the 1p + £2.80 shipping. But they are almost always half price. I also pick up a lot of books at charity shops. You never know what you'll find there.

I've only gotten to Hay-on-Wye once, but I hope to make it a regular event. It was amazing to be able to walk into shop after shop of used books. However, I always made sure to check that it wasn't cheaper to buy them on Amazon.

I'm not a big spender on clothing and while we do travel quite a bit and are buying a lot of stuff for the house I find that space and enormous to read piles are more of a problem than anything else. When I lived in Manhattan I made a rule that I couldn't buy more books until I'd finished the ones I already had. Now that I have a house I seem to always be able to find more space for books and my collection is simply exploding.

message 22: by Clara (new)

Clara | 27 comments I can't afford books the same that I can't afford to pay some of my bills. However, I manage to go to the thrift shops and Amazon.com to acquire them.

message 23: by Myriam (new)

Myriam I have a book budget!I also love to go to used books store and if I am looking for a specific book, I shop online and find the cheapest one.

message 24: by Fijke (new)

Fijke | 31 comments Most of the books I've been buying recently come from a cute little used books shop I pass on my way home from classes at university. The books are usually between 4 and 10 euros and you get the third book for free. I love that shop. It's so small that there's not enough room for all the books on the shelves so sometimes there are stacks on the floor or on top of the piano that they have for some reason (I have no idea how they ever got that in there).

message 25: by Meagan (new)

Meagan | 2 comments http://bookoutlet.com/

If you don't want to spend some money do not go to the above site ;) I found this from a lot of booktubers. I have gotten a lot of my Y.A. books out there, some you wouldnt think would be on an outlet site yet!

I also have a B&N credit card we put our bills on. So I earn free gift cards that way. My husband, friends, and family all know if they don't know what to get me for my birthday or like Christmas that I will always take gift cards to B&N or Amazon :)

message 26: by Kylee (new)

Kylee (kyloouxo) | 15 comments My spare money mostly goes on books, I make sure I don't have anything to pay before. I goe to a store called '' Relire Livre'' where theres used and new books almost half their price in stores. And now I buy my books in English instead of French this way It cost me less to buy books :D

message 27: by Brian (new)

Brian (OscarT) Books are my vice. I don't drink, I don't smoke, so I buy books with that money. That being said I used BOMC2 and Half-Priced Books. I alos buy at flea markets, garage sale, and used book bins where ever I can find them. I only buy hardbacks, so that can be problematical at times as well.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin I buy my books in paperback mostly and I also buy used whenever possible. Like Brian I don't drink or smoke but I do buy movies too. I wait until they go way down in price or go to McKay's, our huge used book, dvd, cd etc store. :)

message 29: by TJ (new)

TJ | 16 comments With summer coming garage sales will be a pretty good place to find cheap books. I also like checking a goodwill, thrift shop, or used book store.
Of course as a addict i want everything that sounds great and i keep a running list so i can keep my eye out for those books everywhere i go. For the books i just have to have now Amazon is a lifesaver.

message 30: by Karen M (new)

Karen M | 413 comments Meagan wrote: "http://bookoutlet.com/

If you don't want to spend some money do not go to the above site ;) I found this from a lot of booktubers. I have gotten a lot of my Y.A. books out there, some you wouldnt ..."

Ummm, thank you for the website link. The prices are really low for fairly recent books. Of course it broke my heart to find that a new copy of Three Stations was less than I paid for a used one!!

message 31: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (Bd200789) I buy most of mine used at the thrift store. Paperbacks are only 25 cents there, so I can get a lot of them. I also buy some when they are reduced on Kindle. I also get classics from Amazon Kindle since they are free.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Thom wrote: "Jim, I don't think I have ever attended a book fest but it does sound interesting. Where could I find the dates and locations?
If you check at www.boekenfestijn.nl , you can find the dates and locations. I absolutly love love love going there... For the past 4-5 years, it's been my main source for "casual reading books". The last time i got the complete Harry Potter-series for like 20,-...

I also used to go to De Slegte to buy second hand books as well and to the big bookstore in the city (for the Dutchies: Donner/Selexyz/Polare). But since there was a whole drama around both chains (they merged, bought by a financial investor that obviously had no clue about how to run a bookstore and went almost bankrupt), their assortment really suffered... So i rarely go there anymore.

message 33: by Fijke (new)

Fijke | 31 comments Alex wrote: "Thom wrote: "Jim, I don't think I have ever attended a book fest but it does sound interesting. Where could I find the dates and locations?
If you check at www.boekenfestijn.nl , you can find the ..."

By far the most famous book-related event in the Netherlands is the annual Deventer book fair (in Deventer, obviously), which is held in early august every year. It's the largest annual book market in Europe.

message 34: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Rand I work at a charity shop 18 hours a week with a steady stream of temptation, so what I buy with my 20% discount keeps me pretty busy.

message 35: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Cabanas | 1 comments Usually when I don't have enough for a book I go to my library.

message 36: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (Bonfiggi) When I visit Seattle, I get books at Value Village. There is a huge selection.

message 37: by Meagan (new)

Meagan | 2 comments Karen M wrote: "Meagan wrote: "http://bookoutlet.com/

If you don't want to spend some money do not go to the above site ;) I found this from a lot of booktubers. I have gotten a lot of my Y.A. books out there, so..."

Oh yeah I hear you! Makes me not want to pay full price again! I even got a copy of Unravel me on there!

message 38: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 1 comments It seems that most people know how to find a deal and typically buy used books over new books. I am one of these people. I have noticed that new book prices have increased steadly and it has been speculated that this is because new book sales are down since most people buy used books. I typically perfer used books over new not only because of the price, but because they have more character to them. What I have noticed is that with less new books being purchased, there are less used books and even the prices for used books are going up. What are you're thoughts on this?

message 39: by Marianthi (last edited Apr 03, 2014 04:59PM) (new)

Marianthi My public library has book sales every three months. They are very inexpensive and are usually hard covers to boot.

message 40: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 12 comments I've found my books on BookBub. Each day that site pops in my inbox and tells me which books are on sale and which are free. That's how I started my Kindle collection. Some books were fun to read and some books were not that great. But all free books I "bought" there was something about the description that interested me. If I want to read the current best sellers books now, I just go to my library and place a hold.

message 41: by Kate-Lynn (last edited Apr 03, 2014 06:38AM) (new)

Kate-Lynn | 6 comments I beg, borrow and steal :). Okay I don't really steal, but I do borrow books. I always have books on my wish list so people generally give me gift cards to books stores. Some people give me books and lots of the time I'll go into a book store over a shoe store. My goal in life is to have a library in my house.

message 42: by Joseph (last edited Apr 03, 2014 07:40AM) (new)

Joseph  (BlueManticore) | 1839 comments Mod
Marianthi wrote: "Sorry about spelling, typed on phone. Darn small keys" No big deal, that's not the worst typo you can get with that word. I've seen "public" typed without the L. ;-)

message 43: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Rand Jacqueline wrote: "I have noticed that new book prices have increased steadily and it has been speculated that this is because new book sales are down since most people buy used books."

Could this be the effect of ebooks as well? If you want something cheap and quick you get an ebook or secondhand paperback, but new and hardback are for when you already have a very good idea you're going to love it(love the author?), have already read it and loved it, or would get an ebook but want to support a new, deserving author. It's the section of the market that used to be filled by pulp and cheep new books.

message 44: by Kate-Lynn (new)

Kate-Lynn | 6 comments Virginia wrote: "Jacqueline wrote: "I have noticed that new book prices have increased steadily and it has been speculated that this is because new book sales are down since most people buy used books."

Could this..."

It might also have some part to do with Amazon, they sell a lot of books for cheap. So book stores would have to charge more to compensate I would think.

message 45: by Eric (new)

Eric Mesa (djotaku) | 63 comments I put the books on my wishlist. My family knows I love books so it's a good bet that I'll get them for birthday, Christmas, and Father's Day.

message 46: by Marianthi (new)

Marianthi Joseph wrote: "Marianthi wrote: "Sorry about spelling, typed on phone. Darn small keys" No big deal, that's not the worst typo you can get with that word. I've seen "public" typed without the L. ;-)"

Thank the Lord, I didn't misspell that badly!

message 47: by A (new)

A | 1 comments I have saved up for them through time. But books are REALLY expensve here, and I can´t get them anywhere else because they don´t sell books I want in Engish anywhere else. I think I am going to create an Amazon account, because the books there are literally 1/4 of the price of the books here.

message 48: by John (new)

John | 42 comments Tina wrote: "I buy my books at Goodwill, thrift stores(one store has them 50% off once a month.) used trade book store,Humane Society twice a year all books .50cents,
Better World books and Goodreads, also gift..."

Me too, I never buy a new book. Have been buying at Auctions,estate sales, library sales, and such for over 45 years. I even opened a used book store one time but I spent all the time reading and did not want to sell anything so closed it. I could not sell a a book I had not read and when I had read it, I felt it was mine , so not for sale.

message 49: by John (new)

John | 42 comments Tina wrote: "I buy my books at Goodwill, thrift stores(one store has them 50% off once a month.) used trade book store,Humane Society twice a year all books .50cents,
Better World books and Goodreads, also gift..."

message 50: by Paulfozz (last edited Apr 04, 2014 09:42PM) (new)

Paulfozz Jacqueline wrote: "It seems that most people know how to find a deal and typically buy used books over new books. I am one of these people. I have noticed that new book prices have increased steadly and it has been s..."

Book prices have been rising for decades - my impression (which could be completely wrong!) is that if anything the shop price rises seem to have slowed - in the case of my Terry Pratchett paperbacks:

Colour of Magic (1990) - £3.50
Thief of Time (2002) - £6.99
and looking at the current RRP for these, and other Pratchett paperbacks, they're both £7.99 - which is a rise of 14% in 11 years compared to a 100% rise in the previous 12 years.

The hardbacks have risen less:

Lords and Ladies (1992) rrp £14.99,
Mostrous Regiment (2003) rrp £17.99
Dodger (2012) rrp £18.99.

Of course that's just a snapshot and ignores changes in overall inflation and the like (I'm not going there!), but it still amounts to a very much slower pace of change in cost compared to the 1990's. I remember seeing the price of books going up each time I went to the shops, it was difficult as a young apprentice to accept the constant rises in cost.

« previous 1 3