This is not The Haters Club You're Looking For discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
I hate that I haven't talked to my brother in a month

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (wanna_read_all_the_books) Why is it that we can put people into space, we can find a criminal through one tiny strand of hair, etc, but we can't give the soilders in Iraq decent communication lines so that they can call their families every so often and let them know they are still alive?

message 2: by Cindy (last edited Feb 17, 2008 12:25PM) (new)

Cindy (wanna_read_all_the_books) Oh don't get me wrong, when we were kids and we had to live under the same roof we stayed at each other's throats constantly. But since we've grown up we've become close friends. He's only been able to call once since Christmas and I'm a little annoyed by that.

message 3: by Jillian (last edited Feb 17, 2008 01:37PM) (new)

Jillian (mother_of_dinosaurs) Yes you would think we could make communication easier for our troops serving in Iraq. My heart goes out to you.

Is this his first time there? What branch is he in?

When I was a kid my one brother was in Korea for a year. It was right after he was married. That was so hard on a new marriage.

I hope he is doing well and comes home quickly to you and your family.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Cindy,
I do understand-my daughter served in the Gulf for 7 months in the Navy and just got back in November. We had one call in April I think and her children spoke to her 4 or 5 times and the email functioned once or twice. Of course she was safer in the Gulf than on land, so I know it's a bit different for you. But as she was there, things were heating up with Iran so I was concerned about possible missle launches or boat attacks.
I recently flew from Florida to California with a returning soldier who said he was in the southern area and it was quite safe. It helped me to log onto my daughter's website for her ship. They posted info about a month after it happened so I could sort of keep track of her that way. Your brother's division or company may have a website as well. You know he's ok now and it helps to feel connected if they do have a website. You could try googling his homebase, or if you know the name of his division or company you may find something. Hope you talk to him soon.
And even though I don't agree with this war, thank your brother for his service and thank you for your sacrifice. I know it's a stupid saying but it gets as close as words can.

message 5: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (wanna_read_all_the_books) Thanks. I know he's okay because, as morbid as it may be, if he weren't we'd know by now. This is his first time over there. He was in the Marines for 8 years and when it came time for him to re-enlist for the second time they wanted to ship him to the other side of the country as a recruiter when he wanted to go back into the infantry and go to Iraq. So he got out and joined the National Guard and he's been deployed since last June. He got married in mid-May so I know things are a little rough for his wife. We get a monthly newsletter from his Unit and they do have a website. It'd just be nice to hear his voice.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I know-I'll put your family in my prayers.

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) This stupid war. Just send people home!!! ugh.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.