Goodreads Developers discussion

JSON endpoints?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 93 (93 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Isaac (new)

Isaac Dontje Lindell (isaacdl) | 1 comments Is there any hope of getting API data in JSON anytime soon? XML is unpleasant and heavy to work with, especially in a mobile application.

message 2: by Ettore (new)

Ettore Pasquini Sorry, that's not in the current plans.

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael Economy (michaeleconomy) Someday we hope to.

message 4: by Curious Bear (new)

Curious Bear (curiousbear) | 1 comments +1 for json endpoints. Hopefully you'll consider it one day.

message 5: by Morva (new)

Morva Levente | 1 comments +1 We would love to use a JSON endpoint as we can process that much faster and easier.

message 6: by Parth (new)

Parth Bhatt (parthrbhatt) | 1 comments Here's my +1 for JSON endpoints. Definitely preferable over XML.

message 7: by Yoly (new)

Yoly (macaruchi) | 22 comments +1 for JSON endpoints. XML feels too 1998 :)

message 8: by Sathish (new)

Sathish | 1 comments Sending JSON should be fairly easy. I wonder why it is not prioritized. Apart from how easy it is to use by clients, the payload is also very light and improves latency of all apps (including your own mobile apps!).

If you need help. some of us can put in effort to build this for you. For the number of apis exposed. It should be a maximum 2-4 week effort!!

message 9: by Yoly (new)

Yoly (macaruchi) | 22 comments I've noticed that basically all the new feature requests for the API are rejected. I wonder if Goodreads is planning on adding more features to the API, or if they are planning on stopping development for it, or worse, take it offline :(

message 10: by Carl (new)

Carl  (cparrish817) | 4 comments +1 for JSON endpoints.

message 11: by Jason (new)

Jason Hall (jasonmelohall) | 2 comments +1 for JSON endpoints

message 12: by Sneha (new)

Sneha (lsneha) +1 for JSON endpoints

message 13: by kkocsis (new)

kkocsis | 1 comments +1

message 14: by Fernando (new)

Fernando Paladini (fernando_paladini) | 1 comments +1 for JSON

message 15: by Erica (new)

Erica (emadel) | 1 comments +1 for JSON. Please?

message 16: by Daksh (new)

Daksh Srivastava (dak_sriv) | 1 comments +1 for JSON.

message 17: by Luiz (new)

Luiz Barreto | 1 comments +1 for JSON.

message 18: by Richard Parker (new)

Richard Parker | 1 comments +1 for JSON.

message 19: by Shai (new)

Shai Davis | 2 comments +1 for JSON. XML is old school.

message 20: by Kiren (new)

Kiren Srinivasan | 1 comments Add JSON pleaseeeeee

message 21: by Powder (new)

Powder | 4 comments It’s a pity! There currently is no other API around with as many reviews and ratings. There have been feature requests by a lot of developers since 2011 to include a fully working JSON-api (preferably REST).

As in the last 5 years nothing happened I don’t think this API will every be developed any further. You are giving away a possibility here for lots of people to use your API and promote your website by showing a link / logo to your website (as requested in the developer license agreement).

I guess it’s only a matter of time that another service establishes a developer friendly version of Goodreads where the staff actually cares about what people want to do with the API.

It really is a pity :/

message 22: by Derek (new)

Derek (derek_broughton) | 13 comments GR has zero interest in actually doing anything with JSON endpoints. It really is a pity as it's a very small amount of effort to bring them up to the current standard.

message 23: by Powder (new)

Powder | 4 comments It really is not that hard to implement a proper JSON-REST-API!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Represe...

message 24: by DC (new)

DC (duyff) | 2 comments +1 for JSON

message 25: by Nishad (new)

Nishad (nishadtrivedi) | 2 comments Goodreads, hire me and I'll implement JSON responses in the REST API myself

message 26: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (lexish) | 12 comments Nishad wrote: "Goodreads, hire me and I'll implement JSON responses in the REST API myself"

Haha! I can just see the interview. "Nishad, why do you want to work here?" "I just need some json endpoints!"

message 27: by Michael (new)

Michael Economy (michaeleconomy) https://www.goodreads.com/jobs

Thanks for you enthusiasm!

message 28: by Sameer (new)

Sameer Singh | 2 comments +1 for json.
Please provide response data in json too.

Me and other developers are eagerly waiting for this. :)

message 29: by Nimalen (new)

Nimalen | 1 comments +1 for JSON, that would be incredibly helpful!

message 30: by skullface (new)

skullface | 2 comments Michael wrote: "https://www.goodreads.com/jobs

Thanks for you enthusiasm!"

Thank you for taking our requests to heart! :)

message 31: by Kimon (new)

Kimon Assimacopoulos | 1 comments Nishad wrote: "Goodreads, hire me and I'll implement JSON responses in the REST API myself"

+1 for hiring Nishad!

message 32: by Nishad (new)

Nishad (nishadtrivedi) | 2 comments Michael wrote: "https://www.goodreads.com/jobs

Thanks for you enthusiasm!"

Ha, I just read this! Fortunately, I'm qualified for one of the open positions. Just applied, fingers crossed.

message 33: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (lexish) | 12 comments Nishad wrote:

Ha, I just read this! Fortunately, I'm qualified for one of the open positions. Just applied, fingers crossed.

Good luck :) I was thinking about applying, but I don't think I'm *quite* qualified yet. A few more years in the biz and maybe. :P

message 34: by Ashok (new)

Ashok Debnath (abddebug) | 2 comments Any update, Nishad ?

message 35: by Mark (new)

Mark Wingerd | 4 comments +1 For JSON endpoints

message 36: by Muhammad (last edited Sep 30, 2017 08:08PM) (new)

Muhammad (pararang) | 5 comments Nishad wrote: "Goodreads, hire me and I'll implement JSON responses in the REST API myself"

Hi, Nishad, any update about GR JSON endpoints? :))

message 37: by Kat (new)

Kat | 2 comments +1 For JSON endpoints

Go Nishad!

message 38: by Mike (new)

Mike Greene | 5 comments I agree. XML is much harder to work with. JSON is much better. Better performance all around.

Currently I use a Site called LibraryThing.com . The community is smaller, but the API is much better and gives JSON. I would like to migrate my Apps to use GoodReads because the community is larger, and there are better tie-ins to social media, but they are missing a couple of key features including the fact that they have no interest in adding any features at all to their API.

I've been monitoring this forum for a long time (a few years), all I see here is a bunch of "+1, I want this too", and a bunch of no response from the GoodReads staff.

message 39: by Ben (new)

Ben | 4 comments Anyone thought of writing an intermediary for parsing the XML to JSON?

message 40: by Ben (new)

Ben | 4 comments Ohh so there's no way of getting all books. Blast, was hoping I might be able to set up a GraphQL schema :-(

message 41: by Ben (last edited Jan 14, 2018 12:59AM) (new)

Ben | 4 comments Started this if anyone wants to contribute.

https://github.com/endymion1818/goodr...

message 42: by Paul (new)

Paul | 2 comments Hi I am new to goodreads and a beginning programer. I am trying to return json for book reviews using an ajax get method.

the url I have tried is:
https://www.goodreads.com/api/format=...

what is the correct one?
big thanks!

message 43: by Ben (new)

Ben | 4 comments Hi Paul, unfortunately you won’t find one because it doesn’t exist. You will need to accept XML and transform that at your end.

message 44: by Paul (new)

Paul | 2 comments Why do they say json is available in the documentation?
Anyway, I am finding what I need with google books

message 45: by Lelouch (new)

Lelouch | 1 comments another +1 for json

message 46: by Ravi (last edited Dec 10, 2018 11:12PM) (new)

Ravi (goodreadscomuncertainp) | 17 comments XML to Json conversion won;t work all the time owing to attribute mapping issues...they need to find a way...

message 47: by Emily (new)

Emily (emlem) | 1 comments It looks like maybe some endpoints now give json, but not the major ones. I'm getting book ratings/reviews details in json (https://www.goodreads.com/api/index#l...). Maybe they are slowly adding it in.

message 48: by Mehdi (new)

Mehdi desu | 1 comments +1 JSON!!

message 49: by Ravi (new)

Ravi (goodreadscomuncertainp) | 17 comments +1

message 50: by Florian (new)

Florian | 1 comments @Paul Congratulations on completely misunderstanding what the problem is. Perhaps you should take your own advice and learn about the advantages and disadvantages of various formats first?

Anyway... +1 for json in the goodreads api

« previous 1