Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

I Capture the Castle
This topic is about I Capture the Castle

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
Who's reading along? What do you think so far?

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) I read this years ago. I adore the first sentence, remember loving the first half or two thirds of the book and thought the book wasn't as good the last half/one third. (no spoilers here and that's just my opinion, so others may very well disagree) I did enjoy the book quite a bit though, even though I liked the first part more than the last.

message 3: by London (new)

London | 41 comments its june 30... shouldnt we start tomorrow?

message 4: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (last edited Jun 30, 2009 09:51AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

I usually start getting groups ready a day before the month starts only because I have a few groups to update and it takes some time! Plus if I have a discussion leader helping me out I like to give them time to start posting their topics.

I am reading this book now. I am really enjoying the narration so far!

Lorraine Stinson | 23 comments I started this today in Barnes & Noble sipping a latte & waiting for my husband to find his books. I have to say, it didn't grab me. I probably got through 3 chapters. Since it's not something I would donate to my middle school library, I decided not to buy it but to get it at the library. I will continue, but not a fan so far.

message 6: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

It starts out kinda slow to me... like a Jane Austen novel. They always start slow to me. It reads more as an adult book to me then a young adult book.

Lorraine Stinson | 23 comments Angie wrote: "It starts out kinda slow to me... like a Jane Austen novel. They always start slow to me. It reads more as an adult book to me then a young adult book. "

Yes, it was in the adult section at B&N.

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) It was written at a time when there was no ya. It's an adult novel. Because of the ages of some of the characters and because of the fact that many teenagers read it on their own or for school, it could be considered ya/adult. So many books are children's/ya/adult mixed anyway. We've read some books in this club I've considered children's and some I've considered adult books, as well as those definitely ya.

message 9: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Why was this book out of print? Too old fashioned?

message 10: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Angie, I don't think this book has ever been out of print. Certain editions may go OOP. Where did you get the idea it had been OOP?

Lorraine Stinson | 23 comments Lisa wrote: "It was written at a time when there was no ya. It's an adult novel. Because of the ages of some of the characters and because of the fact that many teenagers read it on their own or for school, it ..."

Thanks, I hadn't looked at the original copyright date. That does explain a lot.

message 12: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

The back of my book has all these comments from other authors that says that they are so glad this is back in print. So I don't know?

message 13: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Angie, That's interesting. I"m surprised but perhaps it's true. I did a brief search but couldn't tell. I don't have the patience right now to research that.

Kathryn | 60 comments A lot of her books are out of print now, except for this and the Dalmations ones. So, I'm guessing it came back based on the comments by other authors on the back of my book, too.

message 15: by Celestasaurus (last edited Jul 20, 2009 08:45AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Celestasaurus Angie wrote: "It starts out kinda slow to me... like a Jane Austen novel. They always start slow to me. It reads more as an adult book to me then a young adult book. "

It does seem like an adult novel--slow and descriptive. I like it though.
I've just finished the first notebook, and I hope it doesn't get worse from there. People aren't sounding too pleased with this novel.

Natalee (nataleem00) | 43 comments I thought it was a good book... I love her writing style and the characters.

Kathryn | 60 comments Oh, Celeste, I loved the novel!!! Just wasn't that taken with some of the characters, but overall I really, really enjoyed reading it and it was definitely memorable!