Lisa Vegan's Reviews > I Capture the Castle

I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith

Jul 27, 2007

bookshelves: fiction, reviewed, novel, readbooks-female-author-or-illust
Recommended for: everyone 11 & up, especially girls & women

I loved Cassandra and the unconventional family and the story, and there is humor, yet I felt somewhat melancholy when I read it. Although I do recommend it, unlike many readers, I don’t think this book deserves a 5 star ranking.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Capture the Castle.

Quotes Lisa Liked

Dodie Smith
“I write this sitting in the kitchen sink.”
Dodie Smith, I Capture the Castle

Lisa Vegan Ah, from my days when I was writing only blurb reviews. I thought it faltered in the last 1/3 or so of the book. I thought much more highly of the first parts of this book.

Lisa Vegan And the very best thing in this book is the first line. I need to write a proper review at some point.

message 3: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Should I try this? I like the idea of the castle being a character.

Lisa Vegan Chrissie wrote: "Should I try this? I like the idea of the castle being a character."

Chrissie, I just answered you on Lisa Ann's review.

I said: "Chrissie, I don't know. I'd say I don't think so but I thought that recently about a couple books you ended up loving. Look at the book description? And other reviews? The writing is good, the people are interesting, and best first line ever, but I thought it went downhill during the last portions of the book, and there isn't a huge "big picture" and "learning" component. But yes a great sense of place."

message 5: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Hard to decide..... My liking it or not will probably hinge on whether the place comes alive. The other aspects don't draw me.

Lisa Vegan Chrissie wrote: "Hard to decide..... My liking it or not will probably hinge on whether the place comes alive. The other aspects don't draw me."

My guess is that it's not for you, Chrissie, but I've been wrong a few times lately.

message 7: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie OK, here is your final verdict. Hmmm, maybe I will forget it.

Lisa Vegan Chrissie wrote: "OK, here is your final verdict. Hmmm, maybe I will forget it."

Except remember I thought that you wouldn't like Bastard Out of Carolina? I don't have a 100% record guessing for you. This is a classic for good reason and I hate to be the one to turn you away from it if you'd like it. Yes, I do understand the difficulties choosing books.

message 9: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Lisa wrote: "Yes, I do understand the difficulties choosing books.
."

I still have it on my wish list but others interest me more. It is good to have different alternatives for varying moods.

message 10: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars