Gravity's Rainbow discussion

Control Room > Welcome to the Group; Introduce Yourself

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mosca (new)

Mosca | 47 comments Mod
Welcome to the Group!

If you want to let everybody know you're here, or say hello, this is the place.

Hi, Rose, good to have you here!

message 2: by Rose (new)

Rose (roseo) Hi, Mosca. I just ordered the book from amazon. I'll be glad to have some guidance.

Beside's it's better than the "National Electrical Code 2008 (National Fire Protection Association National Electrical Code)" !! LOL :D

message 3: by Mosca (new)

Mosca | 47 comments Mod
Rose,

You might find the National Electric Code easier to understand. But I haven't read the 2008 updates, so I might be wrong.

message 4: by Rose (new)

Rose (roseo) ROTFLMAO!

message 5: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 20 comments Mod
Nice work bringing people into the fold, Megha.

Good to have you aboard Rose and Shannon (you sound like an experienced Pynchophile, Shannon. How many times have you dipped into Gravity's Rainbow?)

message 6: by Megha (new)

Megha (hearthewindsing) Shannon wrote: "Hey Pynchophiles. Thanks for the invite Megha"

Welcome Shannon. Nice to see you here. :)

message 7: by Rose (new)

Rose (roseo) I'm a virgin. Be gentle.

message 8: by Mosca (last edited Jun 27, 2009 03:07PM) (new)

Mosca | 47 comments Mod
Welcome, Shannon.

I prowled over to your profile; and saw that you've read most of what Pynchon has written.

I'm impressed.

Over the many years I've purchased most all of his works; but read only V. and The Crying of Lot 49 completely to the end.

My attempts to dive into Mason & Dixon and Against the Day have always ultimately lured me to return to "Gravity's Rainbow", which I've only ever gotten about 40% thru, at best.

So, for me, "Gravity's Rainbow" has been this personal milestone (millstone?) of sorts.

Always love what I've read--the book is amazing. But chasing down references to earlier parts of the book (or earlier books), assembling puzzles left to entangle the reader, and other enigmas--have always ensnared this reader. I am left babbling in the road incoherently.

My hope is that a dedicated group of readers will blindly, and not so blindly lead one another thru this extraordinary labyrinth.

I've also found that this book is anything but a linear read. I've never been able to go from page 1 numerically through the book. It seems necessary to continually return to earlier portions to re-read and find what was missed the first time. I love it! But a complete reading to the end becomes a challenge, to say the least.

I think our Spoilers threads are going to be a definite challenge.

message 9: by Mosca (new)

Mosca | 47 comments Mod
Rose wrote: I'm a virgin. Be gentle.

We'll be gentle, Rose. But we can't guarantee Pynchon's behavior. The guy's a psychopath.

message 10: by Rose (last edited Jun 27, 2009 04:17PM) (new)

Rose (roseo) This sounds intriguing!

One of the GR member reviews suggested to not get too caught up and just go with the flow of the story.

message 11: by Brad (new)

Mosca wrote: "WI've also found that this book is anything but a linear read. I've never been able to go from page 1 numerically through the book. It seems necessary to continually return to earlier portions to re-read and find what was missed the first time. I love it! But a complete reading to the end becomes a challenge, to say the least..."

That's my experience too, Mosca. I have even toyed with the idea (when I finally finished it) of going back and reading it backwards. I wonder what that would be like?

message 12: by Mosca (last edited Jun 28, 2009 09:46AM) (new)

Mosca | 47 comments Mod
Brad wrote:

I wonder what that would be like?

We're counting on you, Brad, to let us know ;)

But this need to go back and forth is the main reason I finally, a few years ago, spent the extra bucks needed to buy an old vintage hardback version (those are the only type of hardback available).

I had already destroyed more than three paperback versions from the constant, rib-cracking abuse needed to shuffle in both directions thru this book.

I think I would have preferred a hardback in less pristine condition. Now I'm afraid to mark in this one.

But I feel that the inevitably non-linear nature of this book is part of its genius.

message 13: by Megha (new)

Megha (hearthewindsing) I have even toyed with the idea (when I finally finished it) of going back and reading it backwards. I wonder what that would be like?

We're counting on you, Brad, to let us know ;)

It does sound pretty interesting actually. I hope someone tries it out and lets us know.

message 14: by Hunter (new)

Hunter | 4 comments Hi everyone,
I'm about halfway through my first time! It is a wonderful challenge so far. I've had to stop and read other novels in between, just to give my brain a rest. Does anyone else do this?

message 15: by Brad (new)

I do that too. I usually pick dross so that I can just relax. Some poor fantasy of the Salvatore persuasion usually works well for me.

message 16: by Mosca (new)

Mosca | 47 comments Mod
Hi, Hunter, glad to see you.

Me, too, It's the only way I've kept reading the book. Pynchon's books are, also, the books (and part of books) that I re-read the most.

The prose is so dense; it's the only way I know how.

message 17: by Megha (new)

Megha (hearthewindsing) Hi Hunter.
Even I am sure I will be reading something light on the side, when I want to read something just to relax without concentrating too much.

I started off a bit slow, but by now I am fairly engrossed in 'Gravity's Rainbow'. Though I haven't yet reached a point where I have to keep flipping pages back and forth.

message 18: by Hunter (new)

Hunter | 4 comments I found that it really picked up in Part 2.

message 19: by Brad (new)

Shannon wrote: "Brad wrote: "Nice work bringing people into the fold, Megha.

Good to have you aboard Rose and Shannon (you sound like an experienced Pynchophile, Shannon. How many times have you dipped into Grav..."

You are going to be an awesome person to have around then, Shannon.

message 20: by Bram (last edited Jul 10, 2009 10:49AM) (new)

Bram Hello everyone--

So this book was sitting on myself and performing the literary equivalent of burning a hole in my pocket: I just had to begin despite simultaneously wanting to put it off until the time was right. I'm only 40 pages in, but the time appears to be right--really enjoying it so far.

message 21: by Mosca (new)

Mosca | 47 comments Mod
Glad to hear it, Bram. Welcome to the group.

This book is like no other.

message 22: by Matthieu (last edited Jul 11, 2009 12:58PM) (new)

Matthieu | 6 comments Hello.

I'm currently reading GR for the second time. It'd been four years since I last immersed myself in the land of Pynchon, so I figured this was a good time to get back into it.

message 23: by Bram (new)

Bram Matt wrote: "Hello.

I'm currently reading GR for the second time. It'd been four years since I last immersed myself in the land of Pynchon, so I figured this was a good time to get back into it."

Yes!

message 24: by Megha (new)

Megha (hearthewindsing) Matt wrote: "Hello.

I'm currently reading GR for the second time. It'd been four years since I last immersed myself in the land of Pynchon, so I figured this was a good time to get back into it."

< what Bram just said >

message 25: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 6 comments :)

message 26: by Dan (new)

Dan (theancientreader) Hello all,

Finished GR a little over a month ago on the fifth or sixth attempt over the past few years. Didn't hate it or love it but enough of it has stuck with me and periodically raised its head over the past six weeks that I may have to give it a re-read in a few months. Just curious if anyone has read anything else by Pynchon and, if so, if that helped or hindered with appreciation for GR.

message 27: by Mosca (last edited Jul 11, 2009 07:58PM) (new)

Mosca | 47 comments Mod
Dan,

My God. There are two New Mexican's in this Group. Bienvenidos, Ese!

To answer your question, I've read The Crying of Lot 49 and V.

V. is Pynchon's first book. There are a some characters in V that continue into Gravity's Rainbow; and some readers might say that V is an essential first read prior to GR. But that is, of course, each reader's choice. You might want to read V now; it is not so abstruse as GR, and there is a lot of common territory.

The Crying of Lot 49 is Pynchon's second book; and I've read a few comments of his own that indicate it is a work of his that he has little respect for. I enjoyed the book; but I recommend it only to Pynchon newbies as an easy first read to become accustomed to his world.

message 28: by Megha (new)

Megha (hearthewindsing) I had read 'The Crying of Lot 49' first as an introduction to Pynchon's writing. I found it pretty amusing and could get some glimpses of Pynchon's genius through this book.

message 29: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 6 comments Mr. Pynchon has trouble disguising his genius.

message 30: by Megha (new)

Megha (hearthewindsing) Matt wrote: "Mr. Pynchon has trouble disguising his genius."

I know!

message 31: by JuliAnna (new)

JuliAnna | 1 comments I just read read The Crying of Lot 49 to see if I wanted to give Gravity's Rainbow a try. It was less impressive but more entertaining that I expected (even though Mosca had told me not to expect too much). But, there was still enough there to get me interested in moving on too the good, albeit long and impenetrable, stuff.

Pynchon isn't foremost on my agenda, but I think the opportunity to read Gravities Rainbow and discuss it with you all may be too good to pass up.

message 32: by Mosca (last edited Jul 12, 2009 04:32PM) (new)

Mosca | 47 comments Mod
Juilanna,

Glad you are here. I know that you will bring a valuable perspective to this book; and I am eager to hear your reactions.

It looks like that we are becoming a small but diverse group.

There are some here who've read the book (and other Pynchon books) completely; but who remain sufficiently interested to want to discuss it with others. There's folks, like me, still trying to finish it after many tries. And there are many diving in for the first time. This book appears to be attracting a pretty sharp group (myself excluded).

My hope is that we can eventually grow into some specific discussions about a number of the book's characeristics as we all absorb more of it. Most of us are still absorbing.

At a minimum, this will get some of us to finally finish reading this. That, in itself, will be an accomplishment.

Once again, welcome.

message 33: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Carrol (cabble) | 6 comments Hi all, currently onto page 870 of the most recent "Vintage Books" edition. so about 30 to go, and i'll have finally crawled out of the other end of the rabbit hole that is this book, enjoyed almost every minute of it (except when i tried reading it late at night then the next time i picked it up couldn't remember any of the last several pages and had to re-read)

I had toyed with jumping right back down the rabbit hole but i think my mind needs a break to take in all that happens in the book.

message 34: by Mosca (new)

Mosca | 47 comments Mod
Excellent. Two new members very close to completion.

Welcome, Daniel and Trevor. I'm hoping to see you both in the discussions once a good number of us finish this book so we can begin to assemble, dissassemble, and reassemble puzzle pieces together.

Having only recently finished the book, I'm still digesting. But I know there will be observations and questions as we continue.

Again, welcome.

message 35: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Boyer (ramenpride) Hi! I'm Andrea.

Just got GR in the mail a few weeks ago as a gift from a friend who wanted to challenge me lol. I barely got through the first few chapters before thinking I'd give up. I'm so glad this group exists I will be looking forward to your guidance :P

message 36: by Mosca (new)

Mosca | 47 comments Mod
Andrea,

Welcome to the Group.

Is GR the first book by Pynchon that you'll be reading?

message 37: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Boyer (ramenpride) I'm afraid it is, Mosca.

Does that inadvertently make me doomed? Perhaps i'm biting off more than I can chew by delving into his most difficult work.

message 38: by Mosca (last edited Aug 14, 2009 07:44AM) (new)

Mosca | 47 comments Mod
No, you're not doomed, Andrea. You got the book free in the mail!

But many people get tangled in Pynchon's world and give up in the confusion.

I, myself, started with Gravity's Rainbow. I was both entralled and excited by his writing. But I also got bogged down. So, I read The Crying of Lot 49. This is a much shorter and more accessible book. I really enjoyed it.

Then I learned that V. and Gravity's Rainbow share some common characters and plot lines, so I read V next. V. is also an exceptional book and worth the time.

Then I returned to Gravity's Rainbow and was able to follow much more of what was going on.

This process worked for me. Many in this group just read right through it the first time. I'm not one of them.

But I am not sorry that I completed Gravity's Rainbow(about three weeks ago). I really enjoyed it; and it's one of the best books I've read.

When I next want a Pynchon fix, I will read Mason & Dixon, probably sooner than later.

Welcome to the world of Pynchon, Andrea. And thank your friend.

message 39: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Boyer (ramenpride) I have.. many times =) and I thank you, too, for being so encouraging!

message 40: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 6 comments You got the book for free?

message 41: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Boyer (ramenpride) It was a gift from a friend who wanted to "challenge" me.

message 42: by Jay (new)

Jay Richardson | 2 comments hello. jay from brooklyn.
just joined group. first time through GR and almost done section one. will be nice to have people to help me through the rest.

message 43: by Mosca (new)

Mosca | 47 comments Mod
Jay,

Welcome!

If you've made it through Section One, first time, then you probably have the momentum to get through the rest.

You've probably already noticed that the discussion threads are organized by Sections. So that's the place to go for help.

Good to have you.

message 44: by Mel (new)

Mel (yodcha) | 1 comments Hi-I first read GR maybe a month after it was published-I was completely fascinated it and read it over and over for maybe 2 years or so-then I would read it ever year or so. I have not now read it for maybe five years but it is still an important part of my interior landscaping-In fact I am one of the original contributors to Pynchon Notes-glad to see this group

message 45: by Donald (new)

Donald (donf) Greetings. Don from Philadelphia.I just began GR today, for the first time. I have read/re-read, V,Crying of Lot
49 and Vineland. I read Mason & Dixon once and can't wait to re-read it. It is my favorite Pynchon book so far! Looking forward to reading Against The Day, this will be even more daunting than M&D's 773 pages. (I'm interested in that historical era, having done a little research into the McKinley Administration and assassination.

message 46: by Chris (new)

Chris Rogers (chrisrogers) | 1 comments Hi, my name is chris and I am currently of austin, tx (going to ut, otherwise I'd be in rockwall, tx). I'm about 120-odd pages in gravity's rainbow and it's already a rush. I read lot 49 this summer and liked it so much I went straight for v. afterwards. seems only natural that I now try gr. so far it's kinda like v., albeit much darker and more varied. I've got mason and dixon pinned for the next. needless to say, I can't wait

Big Hard Books & Classics (allen770) | 3 comments We're reading thru GR on BookTube now till 27 Dec 2018...join us!