Book Haven discussion

Movies/T.V. > Best movie that is based on a novel

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube | 2393 comments Mod
Which movie that is based off of a novel is your favorite?
I really enjoyed "The Notebook". I read the book, and I have to say that the movie was better...

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I'd have to say The Secret Life of Bees. I enjoyed the book, but I think the movie did a much better job telling that story.

message 3: by new_user (new)

new_user The Bourne movies! I absolutely loved those movies, and in the case of the second and third movies, even better than the books.

I also really liked The Count of Monte Cristo movie. Also, Atonement, Cold Mountain, and Shooter. I refuse to see any more Nicholas Sparks movies because they're all tragedies! LOL.

message 4: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 654 comments Most of the time I find that the books are much better than the movies. I really enjoyed The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. I thought they did a great job of interpreting the book and staying extremely close to the storyline. In fact, very little was changed which I liked. I enjoyed Prince Caspian too, and am sorry to hear that they may not be continuing with the series.

I didn't used to think that the Harry Potter movies were particularly good compared to the books (I've only gotten through the first three of both), but I recently gained a new respect for Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I re-watched the movie and then re-read the book which gave me a very informative look into the mind of a screen-writer and made me appreciate the movie a whole lot more.

message 5: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish (last edited Jun 27, 2009 01:49PM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Hands down, best book to movie, all 3 of them was the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I was amazed at what an excellent job they did of staying true to the book.

message 6: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 286 comments the english patient stayed very true to the book::and is very atmospheric::

message 7: by Julianna (last edited Jun 27, 2009 05:10PM) (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 654 comments Uniquely Moi wrote: "Hands down, best book to movie, all 3 of them was the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I was amazed at what an excellent job they did of staying true to the book."

My hubby said that too. I loved the movies but I haven't read the books yet.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish The nice thing about seeing the movie first was being able to then pronounce the words in the books.

The books go into so much more depth. More information about Eowyn and Aragorn, more depth about how it was that everyone accepted him as king. There was more story about friendships and alliances that were formed....they were amazing books and movies.

message 9: by J.D. (new)

Uniquely Moi wrote: "Hands down, best book to movie, all 3 of them was the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I was amazed at what an excellent job they did of staying true to the book."

I didn't even think of that! I completely agree. I absolutely LOVED the movies.
I thought that they did a great job with the first harry potter movie...I hated the way they portrayed the 3rd harry potter movie though...Blah!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I haven't tried to get into Harry yet. One of these days!

message 11: by Ida Suyanto (new)

Ida Suyanto | 21 comments I don't know what to say. Mostly I found books are better than films.
Uniquely Moi: Harry Potter books are a lot better.

message 12: by Stamatia (new)

Stamatia | 3 comments The Name of the Rose with Sean Connery.
It doesn't begin to cover all the levels on which the book dicourses but it very successfully depicts the ambience the writer wants to project

message 13: by J.D. (new)

Stamatia wrote: "The Name of the Rose with Sean Connery.
It doesn't begin to cover all the levels on which the book dicourses but it very successfully depicts the ambience the writer wants to project"

I've never seen the movie, or read the book...What is it about?

message 14: by Kathrynn (new)

Kathrynn I thought "30 Days of Night" stayed true to the movie, but it's a horror flick/book. Sure enjoyed the book!

message 15: by Lynda (new)

Lynda I love most of the movies based on the Agatha Christie books, and my favorite movie is Murder on the Orient Express starring Albert Finney as Poirot.

message 16: by Lynda (new)

Lynda Stamatia wrote: "The Name of the Rose with Sean Connery.
It doesn't begin to cover all the levels on which the book dicourses but it very successfully depicts the ambience the writer wants to project"

I loved that movie. I've been wanting to reread the book, but it's kind of far down the pile.

I was happy they didn't try to "pretty up" the movie.

message 17: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 188 comments I am looking forward to seeing My Sister's Keeper - I hope they do a good job with it

message 18: by Stamatia (last edited Jun 28, 2009 12:56PM) (new)

Stamatia | 3 comments Joy wrote: "Stamatia wrote: "The Name of the Rose with Sean Connery.
It doesn't begin to cover all the levels on which the book dicourses but it very successfully depicts the ambience the writer wants to pro..."

It's about the mysterious murders of some monks during a religious conference in a medieval monastery . The book's author is Umberto Eco a famous italian professor of semantics. It touches a lot of subjects from the "Kathars" heresy to library science with a great "whodunnit" plot thrown in the mix. The film mostly stays on the mystery avoiding most of the philosophical issues of the book, but still it's quite well done. Sean Connery plays the monk-detective "William of Baskerville" (yes the reference to Sherlock Holmes is intentional) and I think Christian Slater plays his disciple-sidekick
PS the book is GREAT (imho)

message 19: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Terri wrote: "I am looking forward to seeing My Sister's Keeper - I hope they do a good job with it"

I heard it was terrible and doesnt even have the same ending!

message 20: by J.D. (new)

Stephanie wrote: "Terri wrote: "I am looking forward to seeing My Sister's Keeper - I hope they do a good job with it"

I heard it was terrible and doesnt even have the same ending! "

That was on my list of movies to see too! Ugh! I guess I'll wait until it comes out on DVD...

message 21: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) I want to see The Time Traveler's Wife. The book was great so I'm hoping the movie is just as good. I can tell you that Henry is just how I pictured him in my head...but never thought of Bana as the actor..weird.

Joy, I've never read My Sister's Keeper. When I saw the preview of the movie I thought "oh that looks so sad and good" then someone told me it was a book. I'd MUCH rather read the book. So I'm just waiting to dwindle down my library out/hold list before I request it. lol

message 22: by Roseann (new)

Roseann | 38 comments Not necessarily my favorite movie, but The Silence Of The Lambs followed the book almost word for word.

Right now I am looking forward to Julia and Julia and The Time Traveler's Wife (althought I want to read Wife before seeing the movie).

message 23: by Nathaniel (new)

Nathaniel (nathaniel_) Doesn't The Godfather enter into the discussion at some point?

message 24: by stormhawk (last edited Aug 13, 2009 10:32PM) (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments Watchmen was very good, IMHO (even without the squid). I liked Hombre, Mr Majestyk, THE GREAT ESCAPE., The Exorcist, John Goldfarb, Please Come Home, The Silence of the Lambs, Black Sunday, The Hunt for Red October ... I could probably go on and on and on. There are a lot of not-so-great movies of good books out there, of course, like The Eagle Has Landed

message 25: by Lynda (new)

Lynda ooh, I forgot The Shawshank Redemption. One of my favorite movies.

message 26: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta I think that LAYER CAKE was a great example of a book-to-movie success. I had just read the book days before renting the movie. As I watched it, I felt like I was re-reading the book; it stayed that true to the story.

Layer Cake

message 27: by J.D. (new)

Elvia wrote: "I want to see The Time Traveler's Wife. The book was great so I'm hoping the movie is just as good. I can tell you that Henry is just how I pictured him in my head...but never thought of Bana as ..."

I really want to read the Time Travelers Wife, and of course see the movie! :)

message 28: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) I can't wait to see the movie! Are we reading this book for September Group Read?

message 29: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (klonk) I thought the movie version of Revolutionary Road was really good.

message 30: by J.D. (new)

Elvia wrote: "I can't wait to see the movie! Are we reading this book for September Group Read?"

The Poll is still going for the September read, but so far "The Time Traveler's Wife" is winning. :) Until my husband vetoed it, we were going to see the movie on Friday with the family. Instead, we are seeing GI Joe...I wanted to see both though...so I am not too upset.

message 31: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) LOL...I want to see GI Joe too. My kids have NO IDEA who he is. lmao

message 32: by J.D. (new)

Elvia wrote: "LOL...I want to see GI Joe too. My kids have NO IDEA who he is. lmao"

It was pretty good (saw it tonight). It had a lot of action, parts were a little cliche...but otherwise, I liked it. :)

message 33: by new_user (new)

new_user Cobra's voice was so annoying though... Really cartoony, LOL. Actually, if you want to see the cartoon put to live action, you'll probably enjoy it.

message 34: by J.D. (new)

Hmmm...maybe I'll see if the library has it!

message 35: by Junying (new)

Junying | 19 comments J.D. wrote: "Elvia wrote: "I want to see The Time Traveler's Wife. The book was great so I'm hoping the movie is just as good. I can tell you that Henry is just how I pictured him in my head...but never thoug..."

I must admit that I began The Time Traveler's Wife but could not finish! Then I watched the movie and thought it was quite good :-).

message 36: by Helen (new)

Helen I enjoyed both.

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 199 comments UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Hands down, best book to movie, all 3 of them was the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I was amazed at what an excellent job they did of staying true to the book."

I agree. Now, I CANNOT wait for "The Hobbit". They did an amazing job with the trilogy that every time I re-read the books, I picture the actors in my head. That makes it easier for me to get through it.

I also liked Memoirs of a Geisha.

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 199 comments Johnny Depp's movie based on Secret Window, Secret Garden: Two Past Midnight by Stephen King was good too.

Oooh, I enjoyed Howards End.

message 40: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 440 comments Godfather was good.

message 41: by Parvathi (new)

Parvathi | 1 comments "Atonement" based on the novel of the same name by Ian McEwan was really good.

message 42: by Readingcureall (new)

Readingcureall | 9 comments Tough one! I do love the God father movies I also love the Bourne movies.Oh and Shawshank can not forget that one. I have to admit I really enjoy seeing how they turn books into movies . One of the books I read on my kindle I hear is being done now as a movie Megans Way by Melissa Foster not sure when or anything . But I will very interested to see how what they do with it.

message 43: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) One of the best movies made from books were The Green Mile and Shutter Island. Of course there are others. However, these two movies always stands out in my mind because I enjoyed them so much. And they were Oscar nominated movies.

message 44: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 440 comments The Bourne movies, agree!
New Moon

message 45: by Nada (new)

Nada Al-Karmi (nadooush) really? for me, the twilight books were OK. however,the movies sucked big time.

message 46: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 440 comments I never read the books, so maybe that's why I'm saying that.

message 47: by Nada (new)

Nada Al-Karmi (nadooush) u should, they are much better.

message 48: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 2233 comments I thought "Memoirs of a Geisha" and "Snow Falling on Cedars" were great adaptations.

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 199 comments Veronica wrote: "One of the best movies made from books were The Green Mile and Shutter Island. Of course there are others. However, these two movies always stands out in my mind because I enjoyed them so much. And..."

I agree. I was pleased with how The Green Mile was made.

message 50: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. I loved The Green Mile, read the book and enjoyed the movie.

« previous 1