Author Support Group discussion

HELP! > Quiz the Author

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by K.G. (new)

K.G. Cummings (kgcummings) I've added this thread to ask the author of a book a question. This is not to ask for give aways of product, or plot! It is an area to ask about characters, locations, etc. mentioned in their writings.

message 2: by K.G. (new)

K.G. Cummings (kgcummings) First Question! Jaimey... how did you come up with the name Weston's Tailoring? It blew me away as I had a friend born about one humdred years after your novel who was a tailor in London and his name was G. Weston. I read the discalimer in the front of your novel Betrayal, but was stunned that of all names chosen it was Weston! Again, just curious, did you pull it out of a phone book? grins! Kathy

message 3: by Madison, Co-Moderator (new)

Madison Paine (madisonpaine) | 132 comments Mod
Kgcummings wrote: "I've added this thread to ask the author of a book a question. This is not to ask for give aways of product, or plot! It is an area to ask about characters, locations, etc. mentioned in their wri..."

Excellent thread idea Kathy?

message 4: by Jaimey, Co-Moderator (new)

Jaimey (jaimeygrant) | 287 comments Mod
Weston's was actually real. He was a premier tailor in Regency London. :o)

message 5: by Jaimey, Co-Moderator (new)

Upon reflection, I should have indicated in the disclaimer that any "real" people or places are used fictitiously.

message 6: by Madison, Co-Moderator (new)

Madison Paine (madisonpaine) | 132 comments Mod
Oooh I got one. Jaimey, what is the history behind Bri's name and why did you decide to shorten it? She is an interesting bird.

message 7: by Jaimey, Co-Moderator (new)

Honestly, I'm not sure why I chose Brianna as her name. Probably because it sounds pretentious to me. LOL--no offense to anyone named Brianna. When she entered the servant class, naturally, she had to change it. She changed it to Bridgette. Something along the lines of: if you lie, stick as close to the truth as possible.

message 8: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) Anyone who's had a look at my book can also fire away. :-)

message 9: by Jaimey, Co-Moderator (last edited Jun 25, 2009 10:59AM) (new)

I meant to add...

If you want some behind-the-scenes info on Betrayal, follow my new blog: http://regencybetrayal.blogspot.com

message 10: by G.R. (new)

G.R. (grcollia) And if anyone wants to ask me anything (even what I had for dinner), I am very accommodating.

message 11: by Jaimey, Co-Moderator (new)

Gina: Did you really kill your nasty neighbor? What did you do with the body? (Sitting with pen ready to take careful notes...)

LOL Just kidding everyone...or am I?

message 12: by Jaimey, Co-Moderator (new)

I really was kidding. Gina didn't kill her neighbor. But her character did...The Wonderful Demise of Benjamin Arnold Guppy

message 13: by G.R. (new)

G.R. (grcollia) Ha ha! I didn't... I swear it. Look at these innocent eyes of mine... would I lie to you? Hee hee!

If I had done, he'd be buried in the woods. No that I did. That mound of soil is due to moles.

message 14: by Jaimey, Co-Moderator (new)

Gina wrote: "Ha ha! I didn't... I swear it. Look at these innocent eyes of mine... would I lie to you? Hee hee!

If I had done, he'd be buried in the woods. No that I did. That mound of soil is due to moles."

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 15: by Jaimey, Co-Moderator (new)

Jaimey wrote: "...if you lie, stick as close to the truth as possible..."

Disclaimer: I am not in any way, shape, or form advocating the art act of lying.

message 16: by Jaimey, Co-Moderator (new)

Gina: What time is it?

message 17: by G.R. (new)

G.R. (grcollia) Quarter past seven... another forty-five minutes and it will be the time of day when Pat Guppy approves of her neighbours taking a bath. I had mine an hour ago, because I'm wicked.

message 18: by Jaimey, Co-Moderator (new)

Great answer, Gina! I always knew you were a rebel.

Next question: What is your opinion on real guppies? You know, the fish?

message 19: by G.R. (new)

G.R. (grcollia) I like fish, the male guppy is pretty... unlike Benjamin Guppy, who is frighteningly ugly to look at.

message 20: by Jaimey, Co-Moderator (new)

Oh Gina. You keep trying to make this about your book and I refuse to cooperate. :oP

Next question: Do you like the taste of seaweed?

message 21: by G.R. (new)

G.R. (grcollia) Nope, absolutely not. I don't like anything that salty. Heavens to Betsy, I cannot find a connection between seaweed and my book... unless you count the fact that seaweed was once used to make soap, and the Guppys don't use the stuff :oP

message 22: by Jaimey, Co-Moderator (new)

Impressive "connective" skills, Gina. Truly.

Next Q: When you go shopping for socks, do they have to be stripy or polka dotted or sparkly? Or do you sometimes buy plain hot pink?

message 23: by Jj, Co-Moderator (new)

Jj Ritonya (JJRitonya) | 67 comments Mod
You guys are freakin' me out.

message 24: by Jaimey, Co-Moderator (new)

Jj wrote: "You guys are freakin' me out."

Thank you.

(Jaimey curtsies gracefully...then falls flat on her face.)

message 25: by G.R. (new)

G.R. (grcollia) Ah, socks... I love them so! Stripes, polka dots, sparkles... or a mixture of all three. Never just one colour... and preferably colours that don't usually go together, like purple and orange.

And what have socks to do with anything Guppy? Well, Ben Guppy is the sort of man you want to sock on the nose! Hee!

message 26: by Jaimey, Co-Moderator (new)

LOL, seriously, LOL.

Next Q: Purple and orange, huh? Interesting. That leads to my next question. How do you feel about the color puce?

message 27: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) Puce: a purplish-brownish-magenta color, seldom seen in modern clothing, but popular in various historical eras (including the Tudor period). I used to be a reenactor, LOL.

I far prefer popinjay blue. :-)

(We are all obviously feeling our silly oats today ... which is fine!)

message 28: by Jaimey, Co-Moderator (new)

Is puce old lady Guppy's favorite color?

message 29: by G.R. (new)

G.R. (grcollia) No, she is decidedly grey. But Benjamin favours the colour in shirts... especially when he is wearing his disco pants.

message 30: by Jaimey, Co-Moderator (new)

Gina: My brother told me to let you know that you keep misspelling "color." (He laughed quite a bit at his own joke.)

And disco pants. That puts all sort of smelly images in my head. (Honestly, when I think of Grumpy Guppy man, there is a smell...)

message 31: by G.R. (new)

G.R. (grcollia) I can confirm that there definitely is one. I should give away scratch-and-sniff cards with the book!

Yes... colour, honour, grey, practise, etc. I wonder what he would make of the fact that I also use a rubber to remove unwanted pencil marks from paper. Ah, the wonders of inter-lingo variations!

message 32: by Jaimey, Co-Moderator (new)

Gina wrote: "I wonder what he would make of the fact that I also use a rubber to remove unwanted pencil marks from paper."

Oh, my gosh! He's an artist. He uses a "kneadable rubber" eraser to lighten lines when he does pencil sketches.

message 33: by Jaimey, Co-Moderator (new)

Gina wrote: "I can confirm that there definitely is one. I should give away scratch-and-sniff cards with the book!"

I beg you, please don't! It's not a pleasant smell...

message 34: by K.G. (last edited Jun 25, 2009 01:44PM) (new)

K.G. Cummings (kgcummings) Jaimey that is interesting about Weston being a Regency tailor. It does make me wonder if I could have met a descendant back in 1967. Often trades were passed down in families.
Glad everyone is having so much fun with this thread. I'm off to organize my thoughts for a Betrayal review. kgc

p.s. or is that organise? Gina? ha ha ha

message 35: by Jaimey, Co-Moderator (new)

Gina: Can I post this lovely interview on my blog? It was great fun getting to know you better. LOL

message 36: by G.R. (new)

G.R. (grcollia) Of course :o)

Spread my wackiness around, hee hee!

message 37: by Jaimey, Co-Moderator (new)

I just got such a kick out of it that I thought it would be fun to share with all of cyberspace...or at least my little corner of it. :oP

message 38: by Bernadette (new)

Bernadette (bernadettesimpson) Entertaining, you lot are!

message 39: by Jaimey, Co-Moderator (new)

Thank you.

(Jaimey considers a bow but suddenly remembers what happened the last time...)

message 40: by Jaimey, Co-Moderator (new)

Bow? Where the heck did bow come from? Perhaps my mind isn't working quite as properly as I thought...

I'm a girl. Girls curtsy.

message 41: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) Jaimey wrote: "Bow? Where the heck did bow come from? Perhaps my mind isn't working quite as properly as I thought...

I'm a girl. Girls curtsy."

Only if they're wearing skirts. ;-> (I've been a reenactor for years, and I caught myself sketching a curtsy once whilst wearing jeans. Oh dear.)