The Sword and Laser discussion

when in trouble, who'd you want watching your back?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 123 (123 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Ashley Roberts  | 65 comments I hate confrontation and actively seek to avoid it, but if worse came to worse and bar stools and pint glasses are flying who would you want watching your back to make sure you get out of there in one piece?

message 2: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2702 comments Samwise Gamgee. He never let Frodo down.

message 3: by Chad (new)

Chad (doctorwinters) | 180 comments Repairman Jack....I'd say Dresden but that guy is a disaster magnet

message 4: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1154 comments Aragorn

message 5: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 588 comments Durzo Blint

message 6: by David(LA,CA) (new)

David(LA,CA) (davidscharf) | 327 comments Chad wrote: "I'd say Dresden but that guy is a disaster magnet"

True. Better to pick one of his allies. They've gotten a lot of practice in showing up to save people in over their heads.

I'd go with Michael Carpenter myself.

message 7: by Chad (new)

Chad (doctorwinters) | 180 comments I went with Jack because the hypothetical situation is exactly what he does.

Now if I were going for over the top "I am so powerful this is all beneath me" then I would have to go with Pug.

Anyone who can stand between 3 armies and two worlds and say "KNOCK IT OFF! YOU'RE ALL IN TIME OUT!!"
probably won't have a problem with a bar fight...

message 8: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6375 comments This would be a good author question.

message 9: by Carmen (new)

Carmen Cruz (carmencruz) | 0 comments Samus Aran. Doesnt speak all that much and hey, shes can blast everyone to pieces.

message 10: by Alan (new)

Alan | 534 comments From SF, Lazarus Long. (But if I were to include cyborgs, robots and aliens, I'd say R. Daneel Olivaw even if the 3 Laws hampers him a lot.)

From Fantasy, Michael Carpenter is definitely a good choice. To throw another name or two in the pot - Prince Corwin or maybe Vlad Taltos.

Oh, and Samwise is certainly a rock but, if a hard object is flying at my head, I don't think he could reach high enough to deflect it.

message 11: by Kevin (last edited Dec 24, 2013 11:17AM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments Drizzt as he did in Streams of Silver

message 12: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6903 comments Mod
No one's said The Terminator yet?

message 13: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 588 comments Oh wait.. Arlen Bales. And I wanna ride on Twilight Dancer.

message 14: by Dharmakirti (new)

Dharmakirti | 942 comments Zayne wrote: "Mine would be between Drizzt and Anomander Rake."

My choice is also from the Malazan universe....Quick Ben.

message 15: by Ross (new)

Ross Come on people! CONAN!!!

message 16: by Chad (new)

Chad (doctorwinters) | 180 comments Ross wrote: "Come on people! CONAN!!!"

Seriously?!

Did Conan ever have a companion that didn't die a horrible death?

You might as well ask Elric to come save you...."Oops, my sword jumped out and stole your soul while I wasn't paying attention!...My Bad...."

message 17: by David Sven (last edited Dec 19, 2013 05:11PM) (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 1582 comments WhiskeyJack - (From The Malazan Universe)

message 18: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Preiman | 347 comments Yeah seriously not Conan, he runs through companions faster then The Doctor

message 19: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2702 comments David Sven wrote: "WhiskeyJack - as he is after book 3 (From The Malazan Universe)"

Spoiler?! (JK, ;-) I'm cool with it)

message 20: by Chad (new)

Chad (doctorwinters) | 180 comments I have got to move Malazan Book 1 up on my reading list

message 21: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Dara wrote: "David Sven wrote: "WhiskeyJack - as he is after book 3 (From The Malazan Universe)"

Spoiler?! (JK, ;-) I'm cool with it)"

Spoiling is David's favorite pastime.

message 22: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicolepo) I want that guard in Skyrim... you know the one, he used to be an adventurer like you until he took an arrow to the knee. For a couple of reasons:

1. He's got a bum knee so I can probably outrun him
2. He's a guard, I bet he's got something point on him
3. I feel like his prior unluckiness suggests all the projectile weapons in the world will be fired at him and not me.

message 23: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 1582 comments Sheez - There are spoiler police in here too?

message 24: by Rob, Roberator (new)

David Sven wrote: "Sheez - There are spoiler police in here too?"

You can't escape me..

message 25: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2702 comments Hahah I was joking with you, David. I know Rob gets on you for it.

message 26: by Mpauli (new)

Mpauli Again someone from the Malazan universe...Cotillion. I think if you have his trust he has a fierce loyalty.

message 27: by Gregor (new)

Gregor Xane (gregorxane) | 111 comments Professor Eric Ravensmith

message 28: by Clyde (new)

Clyde (wishamc) | 434 comments I want Pyanfar Chanur -- the mekt-hakkikt. There is no more stand-up being in the multiverse. She kicks ass and is great at getting out of tight spots.

message 29: by Hesper (new)

Hesper | 85 comments Xena. I want Xena.

message 30: by Michal (new)

Michal (michaltheassistantpigkeeper) | 294 comments Solomon Kane.

message 31: by Craig (new)

Craig Thor. Most people decline getting confrontational with a being who can summon a lightning bolt with pin point accuracy. Or just someone holding a really big hammer.

message 32: by Kris (new)

Kris (kvolk) I say Kane by Karl Edward Wagner in a straight up bar fight...

message 33: by Craig (last edited Dec 19, 2013 11:08PM) (new)

Craig Kris wrote: "I say Kane by Karl Edward Wagner in a straight up bar fight..."

Definitely, although he also might kill you too, like Johnny Cash, "just to watch you die."

message 34: by Jokoloyo (last edited Dec 19, 2013 11:33PM) (new)

Jokoloyo | 7 comments Daniel wrote: "... but if worse came to worse and bar stools and pint glasses are flying who would you want watching your back to make sure you get out of there in one piece"

From Malazan universe: Kalam or Rallick Nom

From novel Neuromancer, Molly Millions

message 35: by Hudson (new)

Hudson (bostonrich) | 20 comments Riyria!

message 36: by Carmen (new)

Carmen Cruz (carmencruz) | 0 comments Ok, maybe Harley Quinn.
Shes inmune to poison so she can taste my food for me and tell me if poison Ivy has any gift for me without dying.
Shes sexy
She is badass and I asumme can kick your butt pretty well
Worse comes to worst, she can just jump a lil snd with the sexy clothing she can seduce harassing men while I escape.

message 37: by Magda Żmijan (new)

Magda Żmijan | 76 comments I'd go for IronMan :D he could just fly me away from there and blast ever bad guy in the same time

or Loki, bud he would most likely betray me so... :D

message 38: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6375 comments Peter F. Hamilton's Paula Myo. She's genetically engineered to fight crime.

message 39: by Marshall (new)

Marshall Thompson | 9 comments Jack Bauer

message 40: by Darren (new)

Darren Dr. Grant Roberts

message 41: by Jokoloyo (new)

Jokoloyo | 7 comments Darren wrote: "Dr. Grant Roberts"

@Darren, do you mean Doc from Danger Bay?

message 42: by Fresno Bob (new)

Fresno Bob | 589 comments Say what you want about Logan Ninefingers, but he's the guy you want on your side in a bar fight

message 43: by Michal (new)

Michal (michaltheassistantpigkeeper) | 294 comments Alternatively, Jackie Rowan is pretty resourceful and looks after her friends.

message 44: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 1582 comments Fresno Bob wrote: "Say what you want about Logan Ninefingers, but he's the guy you want on your side in a bar fight"

Until the Bloody Nine shows up - then nobody's safe.

message 45: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6375 comments I'm going to play the anime card and pick Berserk.

message 46: by Jokoloyo (new)

Jokoloyo | 7 comments @David but still better with Logan than with Nicomo.
For a safer Northmen, I trust Harding Grim.

message 47: by Darren (new)

Darren Jokoloyo wrote: "Darren wrote: "Dr. Grant Roberts"

@Darren, do you mean Doc from Danger Bay?"

That's exactly who I mean :)

message 48: by Oblomov (new)

Oblomov | 11 comments Gerard from the Amber universe, super humanly strong, proven hand to hand combatant, no stranger to a bar fight and generally regarded as a good guy.

message 49: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Tamahome wrote: "I'm going to play the anime card and pick Berserk.

"

From your picture I assume you're picking Gutz.

message 50: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 372 comments My party would be made by Kylar Stern, Atticus O'Sullivan, good ol' Paksenarrion Dorthansdotter ,Druss legend, and Eowyn... I would dare anyone to cause trouble

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Streams of Silver (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Karl Edward Wagner (other topics)