A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier A Long Way Gone discussion

A Long Way Gone, good read

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:37AM) (new)

Carol Morgan This is a true story about a young boy who is raised in Sierra Leone and due to the political upheaval of the country became a boy solider, but in the end found his way back home.

I found this book very moving and I have great empathy for the people living in countries like this one. I think it is a good book to read to give you a perspective on our lives in America and what is really going on in the world.

message 2: by Kristine (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:41AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristine I'm just about to read the book for my book club next week. I'll post again once I read it!

I wasn't excited about having to read this book until I realized it was about the same country as this freakin AMAZING documentary I just saw on POV about refugees from Sierra Leone. It's called "Refugee All-Stars" and it's about 6 or 7 refugees from S.L. forming a band in the refugee camp in neighboring Guinea.

It's hard to capture what this documentary does in a mere three hours, hard to believe that I could feel so much for these people after such a short time. And, it's not one of those "bawl your eyes out I feel so sorry for these people things" where you leave just feeling BAD. Although I do feel bad, that's not what the story evokes- it evokes the power of the human spirit, the drive to make something positive out of a horrible situation and horrible memories, and the power of music. Not only do they sing for themselves, the U.N. gives them funds to travel to other camps to sing for other refugees.

Lots more to say, so I think I'll just post the longer version on my site so my friends can read my long rambling thoughts on the documentary, which you might not want to read! :)

message 3: by Elleonora (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:47AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elleonora Tambunan Generally I found this book compelling. The writing may not be first-class (despite the author being a literature student and having spoken in many forums), but the message is striking clear. Afterwards I spent several days browsing the internet to find more information on child soldiers issues, and needless to say that to this day -- amidst the measures taken by multi-parties -- not much has been accomplished to solve it.

I have to admit that I am a bit disturbed by the minimum information given by Beah on his days as the child soldier and his struggle to regain his humanity. It is understandable, though -- it's real bad memory.