Start by marking “A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier” as Want to Read:
A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier

A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  130,252 Ratings  ·  9,348 Reviews
The devastating story of war through the eyes of a child soldier. Beah tells how, at the age of twelve, he fled attacking rebels and wandered a land rendered unrecognizable by violence. By thirteen, he’d been picked up by the government army, and became a soldier.

My new friends have begun to suspect I haven’t told them the full story of my life.
“Why did you leave Sierra Le
Published February 13th 2007 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux

To ask other readers questions about A Long Way Gone, please sign up.

Diane Armstrong You read the book, first, making notes about your observations about
You read the book, first, making notes about your observations about
the book's different aspects...story, characters, language, author if relevant, point of the book, what you learned from the book if it gave a lesson(s) to you.

Then you write a small essay about those feaatures and your evaluation of their quality for its audience.

OK?(less)
ChiaraK You are wrong and right at the same time. Though this book contains mature themes and you need have a small background of whats happening, this can be…moreYou are wrong and right at the same time. Though this book contains mature themes and you need have a small background of whats happening, this can be understood by a middle school or up student. I am in middle school, and though I am very exposed to lots of the material in the book, I understood it fully. It was such a good book. I just want to make sure that your question didn't stop anyone from reading it. It is so good and very educational.(less)

Chris
Jan 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I will never. Never. Complain about my childhood again.

Okay, that's not true. I will. But when I let out a sad sigh of remorse that I didn't figure out exactly why I really wanted to be friends with that one guy in band in high school until it was way too late to do anything about it, I will at least think, "At least I wasn't killing people and snorting gunpowder."

Like most of you reading this, I knew absolutely nothing about what was happening in Sierra Leone in the 1990s. I didn't know there w
Jennifer (aka EM)
Nov 18, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: cftc, heartbreak-boys
I'm sorry, I'm so very sorry for what I am about to do. It seems unbelievably curmudgeonly of me to judge this book harshly given its subject matter. But I can't let the deep empathy I feel for this former Sierra Leonean child soldier cloud my judgement of his memoir. I give him five stars - more! - for his courage, his honesty and the remarkable work he is doing to shed light on the life of child soldiers in Sierra Leone and elsewhere; to raise consciousness and motivate political action to put ...more
Elyse
Jul 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in 2007 when this book was first released. It was a year when local High School kids in our area were assigned to read this book. Then later in the year --Ishmael came to speak at our local state University to a room of more than 1,000 people.

It was a powerful night!

Ismael Beach was 26 years old when this book came out. He tells his story of becoming a child soldier in Sierra Leone and of his later
rehabilitation.

Heartbreaking -(horrors) - children in war..fighting, killing, d
Whitney Atkinson
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

TW: Violence/gore, rape, drug abuse

This book reminded me of Between Shades of Grey by Ruta Sepetys, not because their subject matter is anything alike, but because I had the same reaction to both books. Throughout the duration of the book it was very impactful and heavy, and I may have shed a tear or two, but as soon as I closed the book the weight of it just fell upon me and it made me start crying in full.

Wow. This book is truly unlike anything I've read before. I can't even fathom t
Praj
Mar 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Dear Ms. Naomi Campbell,

I have always been an ardent aficionado of your work; from your heydays sashaying the YSL runaways along with Linda Evangelista to crooning in George Michael’s Freedom video. Your numerous sexual trysts with celebrated oligarchs and other questionable chaps were highly fascinating although not marvelous. But lately, you seem to forego your sadistic tantrums and suffer from a transient global amnesia. Is it due to those numerous chalky dust lines running through your nasal
Saleh MoonWalker
Onvan : A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier - Nevisande : Ishmael Beah - ISBN : 374105235 - ISBN13 : 9780374105235 - Dar 229 Safhe - Saal e Chap : 2007
Muhammed Hebala
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
كتاب جميل جدا
و ذكريات صعبة جدا جدا جدا
و عمل إنساني فوق الوصف
أنا فعلا مش متخيل ازاي ممكن إنسان يمر بكل الأحداث دي و يفضل على إنسانيته
و كمان متخيل كمية الألم و هوه ماسك القلم و بيفتكر اللي مر بيه و يعيشه من تاني و يكتبه
ازاي الصراع من أجل البقاء ممكن يحولك لحيوان ضاري مفترس, و إزاي ينسيك آدميتك, وازاي شهوة السلطة بتعمي لدرجة انهم يجندوا أطفال في حرب أهلية

الكتاب رائع و مؤثر جدا جدا, إشمائيل كتب بصدق و سحر توفيق ترجمت بأجمل أسلوب , فعلا هيه دي الترجمة

الكتاب موجع لكنه مهم إنك تقراه و تعرف الدنيا حوالي
Ahmad Sharabiani
A Long Way Gone. Memoirs of a Boy Soldier, Ishmael Beah
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: نوزدهم فوریه سال 2016 میلادی
عنوان: راهی طولانی که رفتم، خاطرات یک کودک سرباز؛ نویسنده: اسماعیل بئا (به آ)؛ مترجم: مژگان رنجبر؛ تهران، کوله پشتی، 1394؛ در 240 ص؛ شابک: 9786007642412؛ چاپ دوم 1395؛
شاید رقمی بالغ بر سیصدهزار کودکْ سرباز، نشئه از مواد مخدر، و کلاشنیکف به دست، در بیش از پنجاه منازعه و جنگ، در سرتاسر دنیا حضور داشته باشند. «اسماعیل به آ» یکی از همین کودکْ سربازان بوده، و یکی از نخستین افرادی ست که داستان و مشا
Nandakishore Varma
Nov 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoirs
This is a very important book, though not an easy one to read. Ishmael's style leaves a lot to be desired, and he is especially weak, I feel, when he tries to be philosophical. But he makes up for that with the descriptions of war, to the depravity which human beings can descend to. The fact that he does this with a child's candour, unemotionally, makes it even more disturbing.

Children can be easily moulded. And cruelty comes easily to children, because they do not think of it as "cruel" in the
steven
Feb 02, 2008 rated it did not like it
HMSA Summer Reading: A Long Way Gone: Memoir of a Boy Soilder 1 1 Dec 22, 2017 03:29AM
HMSA Summer Reading: A Long Way Gone- Book Review 1 5 Dec 21, 2017 09:35PM
HMSA Summer Reading: Spoilers: A Long Way Gone 1 3 Dec 21, 2017 04:09PM
HMSA Summer Reading: Spoilers: A Long Way Gone 1 3 Dec 20, 2017 06:03PM
Book Report 1 6 Dec 01, 2017 07:44AM
  • An Ordinary Man: An Autobiography
  • War Child: A Child Soldier's Story
  • The Translator: A Tribesman's Memoir of Darfur
  • They Poured Fire on Us From the Sky: The True Story of Three Lost Boys from Sudan
  • Tears of the Desert: A Memoir of Survival in Darfur
  • Kaffir Boy: An Autobiography
  • The Bite of the Mango
  • Africa's World War: Congo, the Rwandan Genocide, and the Making of a Continental Catastrophe
  • Do They Hear You When You Cry
  • God Grew Tired of Us: A Memoir
  • Notes from the Hyena's Belly: An Ethiopian Boyhood
  • They Fight Like Soldiers, They Die Like Children: The Global Quest to Eradicate the Use of Child Soldiers
  • Facing the Lion: Growing Up Maasai on the African Savanna
  • Nine Hills to Nambonkaha: Two Years in the Heart of an African Village
  • Darfur Diaries: Stories of Survival
  • Love in the Driest Season: A Family Memoir
  • Blood Diamonds: Tracing the Deadly Path of the World's Most Precious Stones
  • 28: Stories of AIDS in Africa
Ishmael Beah was born in Sierra Leone in 1980. He moved to the United States in 1998 and finished his last two years of high school at the United Nations International School in New York. In 2004 he graduated from Oberlin College with a B.A. in political science.

He is a member of the Human Rights Watch Children’s Rights Division Advisory Committee and has spoken before the United Nations, the Cou
More about Ishmael Beah...
“Some nights the sky wept stars that quickly floated and disappeared into the darkness before our wishes could meet them. ” 1574 likes
“In the sky there are always answers and explanations for everything: every pain, every suffering, joy and confusion.” 217 likes