Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die discussion

"1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die" THE BOOK ITSELF

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (wildhoney) I just received my copy of "1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die" from Amazon. This is ONE HEAVY BOOK! Flipping through the book itself is much more daunting than seeing the list of books online. But I am so glad I purchased the companion book because it adds insight to why these books were chosen!

message 2: by Debbie (new)

Debbie I just checked it out from the library. So far I have only flipped through this tome, but what I've seen is interesting.

message 3: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) I just received my copy of the huge book. I was distraught, after circling the ones I have already read, that I have only read 24 out of 1001 books. In another group, I have committed to 49 more from this book. I guess it will be slow going for me.

message 4: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Don't feel bad Andi. I feel the same way. There's a bunch on the list I am planning to get around to. It helps add some variety to the things I have been reading. I use the list for fun and enjoy hearing peoples' thoughts on the books. Does that mean I should leave the group?

message 5: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (lolosrun) | 151 comments Kristen, heck no you shouldn't leave the group! I doubt you'll find a single person here who doesn't supplement their list reading with other books. It's all in fun. I use the list as a way to expose myself to authors (which sounds really wrong) I wouldn't have come across otherwise, or as a means of lending more weight to a friend's recommendation. If you were to read solely from the list you would likely spend years missing out on newer books that could hit you just as strongly.

message 6: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 5 comments I just borrowed a copy from the library and it's crazy big. Another book that I recommend that is thinner is "1000 books to change your life."

message 7: by M.D. (new)

M.D. (mdbenoit) I'm certainly not planning on restricting my reading to the list which would take me until I die to go through anyway. I have The quiet girl, Victory Conditions, and Dreamers of the Day in my TBR pile. They're from the library, so I have to read them in short order!

message 8: by Judith (new)

Judith (jloucks) | 1203 comments So, those of you who have checked out the book, are you convinced or at least more convinced that the choices are all merited? I'm still struggling with that question and mystified by some omissions and inclusions!

message 9: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimbobo) While I'm sure the editors of the book had good reasons to include each of the books, I feel that they should make a companion book. I want a book with just the primary few hundred or so that are most spectacular...and take out the authors that are listed time and time again (I'm looking at you Kazuo Ishiguro!. It would also make the list less daunting! =)

message 10: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) I agree that it would be ludicrous to read nothing but these books, and not fudge with the list. For instance, the book that I am reading right now, "The Book Thief", is an excellent book. I will put that one on my list and take "Finnegans Wake" off of my list.

message 11: by Asia (new)

Asia | 1 comments where could i get this book?

message 12: by Eliza (new)

Eliza (Eliza_Morgan) | 27 comments The more I read off this list, the more I'm convinced it should just be called "1001 Books."