The Haters Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
I hate forgetting stuff

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Xysea (new)

Xysea  (Xysea) It's f*cking inconvenient, and a nuisance at that.

I hate memory-enhancing games and mnemonics, too, and I hate trying to remember how to spell mnemonics!

In fact, I hate the big-assed SUV that was in front of me going 35mph this morning while belching acrid, black smoke. I equally hated the big-assed truck on my right that was blocking me from changing lanes.

I hated being late for my meeting, but I hate more that it's my own fault for forgetting about it. I hate that I busted ass to get into work only to find they rescheduled the meeting until this afternoon, but forgot to tell me.

I really, really hated that.

message 2: by Valerie (new)

Valerie I hate that I can hardly remember what I did yesterday, but completely remember that Peter Scolari played Hilde - Buffy's room-mate - on Bosom Buddies. What the hell is my brain saving that nugget for?

message 3: by Charissa (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) Oh... it's the thread designed for me to live inside. I am the most unintentionally flakey person in the Western hemisphere. My friends call me "pokey", which I secretly HATE. I make light of it by saying, "I'm not Pokey, I'm Gumby." But honestly, could I be infamous for something else please? Like... snapping and killing people with blunt objects occasionally? I'd almost prefer that. And I can't seem to make it stop. I lose time. Literally. I think one minute has passed and instead 15 minutes has. It's something my brain does. I don't understand how other people keep track of time, I don't understand how minutes tick by so precisely. My brain simply does not function that way. When I was in Ireland I thought I had died and gone to heaven. It was an entire country who didn't give a shit about being on time! The ferry ran late, and often went from different towns. It all depended on the tides and the weather. I am the tides and the weather, can't people just accept that??? In Ireland we would sit for 20 minutes in a cafe before anyone even noticed to come and give us menus. It was standard! Oh bliss. I am not a creature of this century... or this culture. I should probably just go live in a cave. But there are no interwebz there.

message 4: by Meels (new)

Meels (Amelia) I am your kindred Charissa, I don't mean to be late...or forget, I just get distracted and it doesn't FEEL like it has been a long time. I just blame it on being a girl, that I have no concept of time or distance. It holds no meaning for me, no importance. Don't give it to me in Yards guys, it means NOTHING to me!! Giving it to me in feet is even worse, smaller increments do not help.

At work I lie all the time, the guys leave and say they'll be back in an hour or whatever. I just nod and murmur "okay", over my book. Now, eventually one of their clients inevitably calls and damned if I can remember when they left. So I lie and give them the full hour and the "you just missed him Mr. Smith!" Eh, no one has noticed yet...

message 5: by Kelly (new)

Kelly I hate that I forget my subway pass sometimes, and I have to go back and get it, which inevitably by a chain of reactions, makes me at least half an hour late for work or wherever else I'm going, due to traffic and the wait time for the subway.

I used to forget my keys all the time and lock myself out, which sucked ass, but now I'm in a building where the doors just don't lock, you have to lock them behind you. Which... is probably bad from a burglary perspective if I forget my keys, but at least I'm never locked out!

message 6: by Charissa (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) Amy, I love that you have a job where you can get away with it. I run my own business and there is NO ONE TO BLAME BUT ME when I screw something up. Oh believe me, I make up shit all the time though... "Oh yes, my assistant was given that task days ago. You know how difficult it is to find good help." uh huh... yeah, I'm sure it would go over really great for me to say to a client... "No, I'm just a congenital retard. But continue to place your trust in me." Oy.

I wish I could blame it on being a girl... but I know too many women who are precise and on time... bitches.

message 7: by Meels (new)

Meels (Amelia) Kelly, don't feel bad, I once locked my keys in the car with the car running. I am now excessively paranoid about my keys. That was pretty embarrassing

I don't pull the "dumb blonde" or "ditzy girl" card. I just pull the, "I'm a girl so it isn't important to me" bit. Like how all guys want HD TV and surround sound. Hell, I don't notice any of it once I'm focused on the movie! I only prefer DVD because they take up less storage space and I don't have to rewind...pure laziness, nothing to do with the quality of picture or sound...I'M A GIRL! If you've got the right story, my brain edits out those squiggly lines and fuzzy bits.

message 8: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Oh wow, Amy. Yeah, I've locked the keys in the car, but at least the engine was off. And I didn't lock my phone in, so my dad could come get me. It's still embarrassing.

My mom once forgot where she put our mixing bowl that we use to make brownies... turns out it was in the linen closet. I hate (love) my mother's absent mindedness. :)

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (kevinsampsell) I hate it when I forget a person's name--especially a person I have known for a while or an ex-girlfriend or someone who once did a big favor for me. Don't tell Moderator Steve this, but for a moment today, when I saw him and his son at Powell's, I briefly forgot little Archie's name. I was all distracted because of this and couldn't hold a conversation. Now Steve probably hates me.

message 10: by Jason (new)

Jason (Gireesh42) "i writer has to forget or become sterile. what he forgets is the compost of the imagination." G.G.

Servius  Heiner I hate reading a really great book, and forgetting the best bit's about it. Trying to explain to someone what is so great about it, and all I come up with are "DING! Fries are done."

message 12: by Shelly (new)

Shelly readhead, i'm sorry you had to go through chemo. i hope you will be back to your old self soon!

if it makes you feel any better i'm much fuzzier and slower than i used to be too. it's not from chemo though. i think it's all the shitty food i eat.

Servius  Heiner Energy drinks. I started drinking them about a year ago.. Monster, it is really packed with a lot of B vit. and that seems to have helped my memory. I dunno, what other kinds of food are good for memory, Does some food really hinder thought?

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

spending a lazy two days reading a sappy and mediocre popular novel of 356 pages and posting it on my currently reading list only to realize on page 310 that I've already read it...

...last year about this time...

but not remembering how it ends...

yaya

message 16: by Charissa (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) Maureen... that's an awesome testament to early onset dementia. Dude.

King... uhm... fish?

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

yah-and i drive like my mother and my once prodigious spelling powers have atrophied to the point of ridiculous

i lost the ability to remember specifics of books and movies a couple of years ago

i'm soooooooo pissed

i call ginko biloba ginko balboa

the only benefit

my kids don't think i can move mountains anymore
and now look for the ketchup in the fridge themselves

message 18: by Charissa (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) so basically you're on vacation. cool!

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

well they are adult children
i currently hang out with my grandchildren because my daughter is in the navy and just divorced
but i'm jonesing to get back to work
but yah early onset i'm south of 50

so...not vacation just sort of helpless

you'll hear less of me when i get a job

come om haters-i just left myself wide open here

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.