The Next Best Book Club discussion

Bookish Lists... > My Ridiculous Spreadsheet of Lists

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adam (last edited Jun 18, 2009 03:00PM) (new)

Adam | 37 comments I through together this spreadsheet a while back to keep track of my reading vs various top 100 lists and award winning books.

http://bit.ly/2sR8Hx

I've got sheets for the all the biggest awards, the BBC list, the 1001 list, and even a NBBC sheet.

It's a little over the top, but I enjoy lists and seeing how my reading stacks up. I generally read whatever I feel like, but I do try to target an award winner once or twice a month.

Anyhow, give it a look over. If you are interested in having your own spreadsheet, I think you can just go file->create a copy, but I'm not sure.

Let me know what you think and if you have any good lists I'm missing.

message 2: by Lydia (new)

Lydia (ltarbox) | 6 comments Cool lists! I made a copy for myself too! Thanks!

message 3: by Erika (new)

Erika (erikareading) OoO...shiny. Thank you!

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol (caroldias) Ohh precious! I did a copy too and did other sheet with the Oprah´s Book Club list too lol

message 5: by Lydia (new)

Lydia (ltarbox) | 6 comments Just one question . . . Is your 1001 list the 2006 list or the 2008 list?

message 6: by Potjy (last edited Jun 19, 2009 10:48PM) (new)

Potjy | 127 comments Lydia wrote: "Just one question . . . Is your 1001 list the 2006 list or the 2008 list?"

2008 list I think, 'cos the 2006 one begins with Never Let Me Go. I'm so pissed off when they (or he/she) kicked it out along with many personal favourites.

I love your spreadsheet however, Adam. Always get crazed with sth. like this.

message 7: by Felina (new)

Felina Does anybody know how to convert it to excel? Or does it at all?

message 8: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 109 comments Great job, Adam! You have several amazing award lists there.

I also love making lists so I created a copy for myself.

message 9: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) yay I made myself a copy too :)

message 10: by Carol (new)

Carol (caroldias) Felina wrote: "Does anybody know how to convert it to excel? Or does it at all?"

In the File menu, but I don´t know if it will work... my formulas went wonk so I left at Google Docs.

message 11: by Adam (new)

Adam | 37 comments Carol wrote: "Ohh precious! I did a copy too and did other sheet with the Oprah´s Book Club list too lol"

I went ahead and added the Oprah list as well. I originally omitted it because I'm not the hugest fan. But there are some great books on there. Anyone who gets "average" reader to read exceptional novels does right by me.

message 12: by Adam (new)

Adam | 37 comments Felina wrote: "Does anybody know how to convert it to excel? Or does it at all?"

If you do an export, you can save it as an xls file. The formulas need to be updated, but it shouldn't be to hard.

To Count the things that have been X'd you do a COUNTIF(A:A,"X") and to do the percent you do a
COUNTIF(A:A,"X")/COUNT(B:B).

Ditto for the Y and the Z.

message 13: by Jaclyn (new)

Jaclyn (jaclynr0806) | 88 comments This is great, I just made my own copy. Sadly I do not fare very well just yet. I only counted a book as read if I could actually remember something about it, other than the title, and therefore I did not count any of the books I read in school. I figured that was cheating. However, I intend to change all that this summer and to put many more X's on my lists. Thanks for sharing this!

message 14: by Potjy (new)

Potjy | 127 comments Adam wrote: "Felina wrote: "Does anybody know how to convert it to excel? Or does it at all?"

If you do an export, you can save it as an xls file. The formulas need to be updated, but it shouldn't be to hard.
..."

Thanks Adam. Almost killed myself over the spreadsheet. Ha

And would you please put in the major mystery awards too, like the Edgar, the Agatha, etc. Thanks

message 15: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 253 comments Adam, Thanks for sharing this list!

message 16: by Jason (new)

Jason (boltbook) Very cool. Thanks Adam.

message 17: by Dree (new)

Dree Thanks Adam! I made myself a copy too. I have dreamed of making a list of lists, but my spreadsheet skills leave me frustrated :)

Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) (shuga) Thanks Adam for sharing your list

message 19: by Manday (new)

Manday | 212 comments Wow. You are crazy organized!!

message 20: by O2 (new)

O2 Awesome!

message 21: by Carol (last edited Jun 24, 2009 09:21AM) (new)

Carol (caroldias) Hey, here are my copy of Adam´s list with some alterations, I added Oprah´s Book Club, the Guardian list of 2009, the Modern Library list and I´m adding the books of Gilmore Girls!

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?ke...

message 22: by JESSICA (last edited Jun 24, 2009 04:49PM) (new)

JESSICA (iamasuburbanmom) | 18 comments Adam,
Thank you for sharing - always interested to see what people are reading.
How did you decide on the ranking?
Is it just personal feeling.

I'm also a list-person. I put mine into Alpha by title, with a hope that will distribute them relatively evenly.

message 23: by Meredith (new)

Meredith (meredithgayle) | 32 comments Adam, Thanks for sharing! I just added all your titles to my to-read list, which is already very long. A couple of the books I've already read, Holes and the Joy Luck Club, but I'll enjoy the again thnks to your suggestions. Maybe I'll share my books read list, thanks to you.

Meredith

message 24: by Jon (new)

Jon ooh now i do like a good list

message 25: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 44 comments Okay, goofy question. Do I have to set up a google account to be able to accesss those lists? Sorry... I just have never tried to open something from google like that.

message 26: by Lightfiend11 (new)

Lightfiend11 | 5 comments loving the list! :) thanks for sharing.

message 27: by Taejas (new)

Taejas Kudva (kudvat) | 77 comments @ Adam

Wow, this is pretty awesome. I'm going to spread it around to the teachers in my building and the district's librarians. They'll love it.

@ Brooke

I just hit ctrl+click and it opened, so I don't think you need set up anything. And then under file, you hit export and choose the file format to save on your own computer.

message 28: by Madeline (last edited Jul 01, 2009 09:43PM) (new)

Madeline | 293 comments Oh wow, I really really did think I was adverse to using excel but I'm corrected. I opened this baby up and it copied right in my gmail account and now it lives in the cloud and it has percentage formulas in place and I want to hug and pet it and call it George. O.O sooo geeking out. Now I'm going to transfer my personal list in to join it.... and the world will be a better place for me... for me... FOR MEEEEE ok am stopping the scaring of fellow TNBBCers

thank you Adam!

message 29: by Adam (new)

Adam | 37 comments I updated my list today to incorporate the new Newsweek Top 100 list. I also added the best selling novels of all-time. The only problem with the the best-sellers list is it doesn't incorporate books from series (haven't been able to find a source that doesn't lump books in a series all together).

message 30: by Carol (new)

Carol (caroldias) Ohh I need to see the Newsweek top 100! I was planning to incorporate it, but , hey, you did it first *_* tks

message 31: by Bluedaizy (new)

Bluedaizy | 135 comments very nifty!

message 32: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) This is wonderful! Thanks :)

message 33: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (thewolvessaid) Whoa! Thanks! Definitely downloading these!

message 34: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethswaney) | 3 comments I'm also a list fanatic! This is great! Thanks so much!

message 35: by scherzo♫ (new)

scherzo♫ (pjreads) Thank you Adam & Carol!

I'd only gotten as far as the Mod Lib list. This has saved me loads of time.

You are both wonderful people!

message 36: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jess0702) | 68 comments Thank you both! This is awesome.

message 37: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 17 comments I love this file, I have my own excel file of lists, but Adam's is much better. I am intergrating it with mine. The only thing I have on my file that Adam does not have are the Pulitzer for Fiction finalists, which they started announcing in 1980. If I can figure out how to upload a file to google docs, I will add it.

message 38: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 510 comments I just saw this thread and was so happy to find it. I am a list lover for sure and love the excel you created, Adam. You have inspired me to do some (pun alert) excelling with some of my lists.

message 39: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (roybalam) | 46 comments You are now my favorite person! I shall add these lists and combine them with my to-buy list...

(God, I'm going to be a monster at bookstores from now on...)

message 40: by Amy (new)

Amy (celesi) I love this, thanks!

message 41: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (jooniperd) Madeline wrote: "Oh wow, and now it lives in the cloud and it has percentage ..."

Madeline, that made me snort out loud!! "I will love him and hug him and pet him and squeeze him and call him George!"

message 42: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (roybalam) | 46 comments Here's some other sites with "Ultimate Book Lists" that I've found.. I don't know how I'll ever get to them after this amazing spreadsheet, but for the curious...

http://www.ultimatereadinglist.com/ - Ultimate Reading List

http://www.teenreads.com/features/ult... - Ultimate Teen Reading List

http://www.eagleforum.org/educate/199... - Classics That Endure... Made in June of 1997, but has some great books on there.

message 43: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 2 comments This list sings to my OCD, list-making soul, but I don't seem to be able to make a copy! When I click on the link it takes me to the document, but the 'make a copy' option is greyed out. Any suggestions?

message 44: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 1626 comments This iy my bookslhef list! I delete some books if they are no longer on ymyshelf.

http://www.listsofbests.com/list/8364...

message 45: by Susan (new)

Susan Wow Donna!! That is impressive!!!

message 46: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 1626 comments Oh THX!!! I have way too many books on my bookshelf. Some are probably not even on the list LOL

message 47: by Susan (new)

Susan I own 2000+ UNREAD books so don't feel bad!!

message 48: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 1626 comments Well, now I don't LOL