The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE - BOTM nominations > January 2014 BOTM

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4676 comments Hi everyone!

It is already time to nominate books you would like to read in January! Last month we tried something new with nominations and it worked out really well. We were able to include every nomination in the poll, so we are going to stick with that format. The same rules apply this month:

Please nominate only ONE book. If more than one book is nominated, only the first book you nominate will be included.

Please do not nominate books that have already been read as a BOTM. If a book is nominated that we have already read, it will not be included in the poll. The books we have already read can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

Please do not nominate books that are the second or later in a series. Although these can be fun to read and discuss, it leaves out many of our book club members. These will not be included in the poll. Instead, if your book is the second or later part of a series, suggest it as a buddy read. You can select the date and still read as a group and discuss without a poll. All you need is one person that would like to read it with you. You can make suggestions here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Please do not use this thread for author self-promotion. This is a nomination thread for for books that you would like to read as a member of the group. If you wrote the book, you have already read it. Self-promotions will not be included in the poll. Please feel free to promote your work here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Any genre is allowable for nomination, EXCEPT erotica. We are an all ages club and Goodreads does not allow us to read erotica as a group. Because we do not limit our membership, they could shut the group down. Please make any erotica nominations in an adult only group.

Additional tips - Please use a book link, if possible. If it's not possible, please include the author's name. I want to make sure I include the correct books! You can add a synopsis from the books Goodread's page, if you like, but it is not necessary.

Directions to add a book link:

This can only be done when online and not when using an app.

When typing in the text box, on top of the box there is a link that says "add book/author". Click on that and a new box will appear. Type your book name in the space provided and click on "search". When you see your book, click the "add" button to the right of it.

To add a link that just has the book name, you can click "link" at the bottom of the "add book/author" box. The link is the automatic setting. To add a book cover, click on "cover" at the bottom of the box.

Let the New Year nominations begin!!

message 2: by Samantha (last edited Dec 01, 2013 11:18AM) (new)

message 3: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (creativecountry0407gmailcom) | 54 comments I will nominate The Amish Midwife by Mindy Starns Clark and Leslie Gould.

message 4: by Natalie (last edited Dec 01, 2013 03:54PM) (new)

Natalie (creativecountry0407gmailcom) | 54 comments @Kristie: Do you think I should change my vote so it might get picked in the poll?

message 5: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4676 comments I'm not sure what you mean Natalie. Do you mean so that it is included in the poll or so that people will vote for it? Your book is eligible and will be included in the poll, if that's the one you want to nominate. I can't say what the group members will vote for, but if you want to read it, then nominate it. You never know what will win!

message 6: by Natalie (last edited Dec 01, 2013 03:54PM) (new)

Natalie (creativecountry0407gmailcom) | 54 comments @Kristie: I have noticed that none of the books you've read in this group so far have been Christian romances. I've read the whole Women of Lancaster County series and love them all.

message 7: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4676 comments Natalie - I have no idea what religious affiliation our members are or how many of them are interested in Christian romance. I put whatever books are nominated into a poll and the group votes on the poll. The two books with the most votes are our two books of the month. I've noticed that the YA books have been doing very well in the polls, but again you never know what will win.

I've never read any of the Women of Lancaster County books. I'm glad you found a series that you love.

message 8: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Dec 01, 2013 04:10PM) (new)

Kristie | 4676 comments I'll add a link to your book for you. :)

The Amish Midwife
The Amish Midwife (The Women of Lancaster County, #1) by Mindy Starns Clark

message 9: by Terri (new)

Terri Bynum (terrib2018) I'd like to suggest The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay

message 10: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (creativecountry0407gmailcom) | 54 comments @Kristie: Thanks for adding the link.

message 11: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4676 comments Natalie - You're welcome!

Link to Terri's nomination:

The Sea of Tranquility
The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay

message 12: by Gotobedmouse (new)

Gotobedmouse | 77 comments I am nominating this book again:
Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan

message 14: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (readinbooks) Michelle {Book Hangovers} wrote: "The Golem and the JinniThe Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker"

This is December's group read in my other group I belong to.

Michelle {Book Hangovers} (bookhangovers) Jodi wrote: "Michelle {Book Hangovers} wrote: "The Golem and the JinniThe Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker"

This is December's group read in my other group I belong to."

I've heard nothing but great things about it! I bought about 2 weeks ago but haven't had the chance to read it yet. Knocking out some other books first. If it gets chosen for BOTM i can devote more of my time to reading it! :)

message 16: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (yokobomb) | 35 comments I nominate

The Goldfinch

message 17: by Eldarwen (new)

Eldarwen | 3558 comments I'll nominate Storm Glass (Glass, #1) by Maria V. Snyder for the January BOTM.

message 18: by -RininTa- (new)

-RininTa- (rinz) | 39 comments I suggest Carnival of Souls by Melissa Marr

message 20: by Brandy (last edited Dec 03, 2013 12:33PM) (new)

Brandy I would like to suggest Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn . I have been wanting to read this one

Michelle {Book Hangovers} (bookhangovers) Brandy wrote: "I would like to suggest Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. I have been wanting to read this one"

All of her books are great!

message 22: by Terri (new)

Terri Bynum (terrib2018) Kristie- thanks so much for adding my link as well! Although I've recently read Sea of Tranquility, it profoundly affected me, so I want to share.
;-)

message 23: by Brandy (new)

Brandy Mary-Barbara wrote: "The Husband's Secret"
I thought about suggesting this one too.

message 24: by Tracey (last edited Dec 03, 2013 04:14PM) (new)

Tracey | 90 comments ~RininTa~ wrote: "I suggest Carnival of Souls by Melissa Marr"

I've been interested in reading Carnival of Souls.

message 25: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 395 comments Me Before You by Jojo Moyes Me before you

message 26: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4676 comments Silvia wrote: "Me Before You by Jojo Moyes Me before you"

That was one of my favorite books this year.

Great nominations so far! So many books that I want to read already on the list.

message 29: by Brandy (new)

Brandy When does the nominations end and the poll open?

message 30: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4676 comments I usually close the nominations and open the polls around the 7th, then voting is open for the next week.

message 31: by Lauren (new)

message 32: by Melissa (last edited Dec 06, 2013 10:54AM) (new)

Melissa | 1 comments i've been hearing good stuff about Najeev Raj Nadarajah's debut novel Dream Caster (Dream Cycle, #1) by Najeev Raj Nadarajah . even if it doesn't make the nominations I'll still be reading this winter holidays for sure.

message 33: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4676 comments Hi everyone!! Nominations have ended and the poll has been opened! Please follow the link to vote! :)

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/9...

message 34: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4676 comments Hi everyone! Our two winning BOTMs for January are Gone Girl and Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore! Threads will be up shortly.

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.