Start by marking “Dream Caster (Dream Cycle, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dream Caster (Dream Cycle, #1)

Read Excerpt

Dream Caster (Dream Cycle #1)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  178 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
Weaver, a young man who longs for a different life, is forced to flee his refugee settlement when everyone in it is massacred. In his flight for safety, Weaver stumbles upon a refuge of survivors hidden among the remains of a ruined city once known as Toronto.

In the midst of building a new life, Weaver discovers he can do something strange: cast dreams into reality. Convin
Paperback, 1st edition, 362 pages
Published December 19th 2012 (first published September 3rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Dream Caster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dream Caster

Rebecca ♥ Warner, Kishan, Magnus ♥
This book's best feature is easily the original story idea and unique combo of genres. It is in a post-apocalyptic setting, set in Toronto, Canada, approximately 60 years after a cataclysmic war. But despite the futuristic setting, and even before taking Weaver's powers into consideration, it felt like a fantasy in theme, characters, and adventure. With the mysterious, seemingly all-powerful villain, who will likely remain faceless till the end of the series (which is fine, as long as he isnt We ...more
Meera Nair
Oct 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wow! :O

Dream Caster is a novel based on post-war Toronto. It explores the lives of a lucky few who managed to survive the catastrophe, which wipes mankind off the face of the Earth. Weaver, the protagonist, is a very soft and kind hearted character. He is left helpless as his world - the settlement where he grew up - collapses before his eyes. Ever since, thoughts of the disastrous event flood his mind, not allowing him any sense of peace. Soon, he discovers an absurd ability that he possesses
Sharmini Jesudas
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone and Everyone !!!
I've got two things to say. Remember the name of the book & remember the name of the author.
In another 3 years, the whole world will know his name. That much I can assure everyone.
December 19th when this book hits Amazon Kindle online, it wouldn't surprise me if Nadarajah shakes the young adult fantasy world the way authors like Christopher Paolini did with the debut of Eragon.
Melissa Ryenman
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It seems I'm one of the lucky few who received an advanced reader copy through a site where I signed up as a reviewer a long while ago.
I picked up this novel because the blurb sounded cool and I figured I'd give the novel a shot.

I can summarize this book in one word: WOW!

Dream Caster has great potential for becoming a great series. It lacks the romance that girls these days seem to crave, but there are hints, and many hints of romance in the works between certain characters.

I was barely able
Andrea Korelenko
Nov 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I almost gave this book a 3.5-4 because of the spelling.
BUT WAIT. it then hit me. Canadian author, duh! lol. No wonder why certain words were spelled differently.
Once I got beyond that, this book was fantastic.
There were many hidden puns and word plays that (for the author's sake) I hope his readers 'get it'.
A young teen might be able to read it and enjoy it, but only someone a bit older with a higher reading standard could truly appreciate it.

The characters and the plot was what i loved the m
Suwenya Jeyarajah
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What are the three most popular genres?
1. Young adult
2. paranormal/fantasy
3. dystopian

Now, take all three, commercialize it, add a great story line, several pinches of moments that hint at a very, very deep backstory, a list of great characters, a lot of suspense, and a great mystery... and there we have it: Dream Caster.

Can someone say potential best-seller !!!

Bran Arnoldson
Dec 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I would recommend this book to children, preteens, young adults, parents, and to all those that stay children in their hearts.

Some books are almost impossible to review. If a book is bad, how easily can we dwell on its flaws! But if the book is good, how do you give any recommendation that is equal the book? Unless you are an author of equal worth to the one whose work you review, what powers of prose and observation are you likely to have to fitly adorn the work?

Dream Caster is at one level s
Tracy Elizabeth Morvow
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
this is offically my very first review on Good Reads

I found Dream Caster during a promotion on Amazon and I'm glad I downloaded it.

Having read a few other reviews here so far, I won't go into how great the characters were, or the beutiful imagery, the well written dialogues, the uniqueness of the genre combination and themes or anything along those lines. Instead, I'm going to talk about something entirely different. Something bold that Najeev Raj Nadarajah did in this book, which hardly anyone
Dec 19, 2012 rated it did not like it
I honestly don't understand why this book is so highly rated. YA dystopian novels are a dime a dozen and even among all the riffraff, Dream Caster isn't particularly good.

First, the writing style, tone, and pacing itself has a tremendous amount of kinks. Rather than a coherent story building towards the end, it's a lot of exposition scenes with action scenes spliced in. And speaking of exposition, nothing in the book is introduced to the reader in an organic matter. The first half the book consi
Oct 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dreams, winter
First of all I want to say thank you to Najeev Raj Nadarajah for gifting me a copy of Dream Caster thus giving me the chance to read and review your book, and wow what a book it is. I see big things for Najeev, and this series. I can only hope that more and more people find out about this book and this author.

I completely loved it. What can I say it is unique, fantastic, wonderful, amazing. Those are just some of the words I could use when talking about this book. Very well written, with many h
Alexandria Anna Djoikavic
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I don't know where to begin.
If you're a fan of Young Adult, or Dystopian, or even Fantasy, or a combination of any of those three...then this book is for you!

The story begins, and by the end of the 1st chapter, it's already taking off to the races. Nadarajah has something unique going on here. Hopefully he realizes this and wows us with his 2nd book in the series.

I look forward to picking up a copy of book 2 once its released.

I'd recommend this to everyone.
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Was offered to read the book for free if I would review it, but have no connection to the author else.

I devour fantasy and SF books so this book was right down my alley. It’s an interesting new take on the urban fantasy genre, which has a bit of doomsday scenario over it as well with the world having ended as we knew it. This up and coming author has a vivid imagination and it gives for a great read. It is clearly targeted for a young adult crowd, and being in the 30s myself I realized I sometim
Joanne Corrin
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I recently met Nadarajah in a YA forum was asked to review Dream Caster as an ARC.

It didn’t take long (perhaps 4-5 pages) before I fell in love with the style and flow of the story. The characters are truly believable and share realistic bonds (although i felt like at times their relationship could've used a bit more building).

There was a point in the novel when I had to stop and realize that this was only a story and these characters were only fictional. The dialogue flows very easily and con
Simone Erika
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
this story is about a 16 year old boy who lives in a settlement in the future. the world is post-apocalyptic and no one knows how it came to an end. Weaver, the protagonist, lives a life where he's mistreated and kept stupid by his owner/guardian.
Then just as his life begins to turn around and he gets chosen to be a Watcher of the Night, something terrible happens.
He and a stranger named Abanel take off into the unknown and they come to a refuge where they are taken in.
Abanel pursues her goal
Laura Mosamar
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Oh. My. Holy. WOW. Amazing? Brilliant? Wonderful? All of those and more. This book is one of my all-time favorites now.
I haven't really been reading since school started because well my life is crazy. I have to be at school for more than 12 hours most days ....not a lot of time to read and get books from the library. But this book made me make time. I hope Nadarajah keeps the pace going and wows us with a wonderful series.

i would also like to say i love Toggen and i love Dell and i hate Cringe.
Annie Shanks
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
i received Dream Caster as an ARC. I wasn't going to get to it for a few books but a day after I got it, i sat down and read the first 3-4 pages.
before i knew it, i was on chapter 5!

2 days later, i was done the book lol. so much for waiting to read and write a review.

first of all, there was something unique about the authors style of writing. his characters (although teenagers) all had an olden, archaic style of speech. the story is about 60 yrs in the future, and all slang, watered down engl
Gillian Bernard
Dec 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Let me start off by saying this is one of the best Young Adult novels I have read in a very, very long time. Not only is the setting crafted expertly, but the characters are amazing, and the plot is riveting. My favorite aspect of the novel was definitely the characters. Najeev Raj Nadarajah’s ability to weave (lol) utterly believable characters (such as Weaver) is astounding. Each character had their own discernible personality, crafted through description, dialogue and their actions. Their mot ...more
E.R. Yatscoff
Oct 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
A slow start to this YA fantasy. Dreams, the North American Indian dream catchers, and the powers of dream casting are the central theme here in a post-apocalyptic world. Weaver, country bumpkin, slowly discovers he's different from others when his village is destroyed and he must fend for himself. Stumbling along he discovers another village, the Shield, and soon makes friends. The people here are much more savvy as to who is trying to destroy their world. Weaver slowly learns to control his dr ...more
Siva Kumar S A
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jan-yc-blue
Dream caster is a fantasy set in post apocalyptic world. It is full of fresh concepts and is unique in many ways. The story is interesting and entertaining.
The story begins with weaver preparing for his first day as night guard a position has worked hard to attain .He finds a survivor on his very first day. But his dream is short lived as his settlement is attacked and he flees with the girl he found the previous day.
They find a new home and along the way he develops strange powers .He meets new
Cher Green
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
Dream Caster, Book One of the Dream Cycle, is a young adult fantasy. Although it starts a little slow, once this story gets going, it grabs you carries you along for a wonderful journey.

Weaver, orphaned and under the care of a selfish man named Ruben, has only one goal, to become a guard in the small village where he's grown up. In one night, he obtains this position and in the matter of hours loses everything, his home, family and friends.

Forced to move on as the only survival of a devastatin
Jennie Hanson
Dec 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An entirely fresh novel with a new take on things. Witty, funny, suspenseful, has lots of meaningful interactions between the main characters, and a great Great GREAT start to what could potentially be a terrific series.

Dream Caster tells of a future where the world has gone dark and cold. Fire and electricity are gone and in their presence dark creatures appear if fire and electricity are used. people have found a way to survive.

To make matters worse, there’s a dream caster out ther
Esna Parik
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Instead, I found an excellent dystopian urban fantasy world that gripped me from beginning to end.

The characters were likable and sharply drawn characters as well as the overall plot kept me thinking about it for a few days, wondering what will happen when the second book in the series comes out.

Nadarajah paints the picture of dystopian Toronto very well eno
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What i really enjoyed about this novel was the pace at which it was written. The story tells itself and flows very quickly.
Brevity, brevity, brevity. That is what I loved about this novel. everything was tight and the development of the story was very well done.
The characters were very real. you either loved them or hated them. Weaver is just an ordinary kid but you can tell that he has greatness lurking within him. by the second if not third book, we're about to see just how great he can be..
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up not expecting too much - Young Adult, likely to be mildly entertaining and all about girl empowerment (WAY overdone). Instead, I found an excellent dystopian world filled with fantasy and wonder that gripped me from beginning to end.
My measure of a good story is how long it sticks in your head after you're done reading it, and in this case, we're going on a day and a half.
What made such a big impression? I would say the action didn't hurt, but more than that, the likable a
Erika Manglior
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I was barely able to put this book down for a second after the first few pages got me completely hooked.
N.R.Nadarajah’s narrative here has immediacy to it that, when combined with the very dramatic plot is incredibly compelling. It's entertaining. If this was merely a good read, I would have given it 4 stars, but they say great art leaves you changed after you experience it... and this book definitely did that. Najeev Raj Nadarajah has, with one amazing work, propelled himself onto my top
Bookkaholic Magazine
(See our full review over at Bookkaholic.) Weaver, a young country bumpkin, lives in a post-apocalyptic world and shovels waste for a living in a small village. He was abandoned here as a baby and has never left the village. But Weaver leaves his post and the village is destroyed. With the help of a much braver girl, Abanel, they search for the fabled Shield, a large village once known as Toronto. Evil is on its way to destroy the Shield, one outpost at a time: the Dream Eater.
Mercel Uchiha
Nov 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Don't get why this book isn't popular. Needs better publicity. There's potential for big things here.

I see enough growth left for Weaver to mature into a terrific hero by the final book. His friend Toggen is a great sidekick as well. Emma-Lee can use a little more growth, but once developed, I can see her playing an integral role in saving the world, much like what Hermione was for Harry, or Sakura for Naruto.

Take a crack at this series. You'll enjoy it.
Wesley Quain
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This review is a long time coming. I was given this novel as a R2R ARC over a year ago. I don't know why I waited so long to read it. The story is very well developed and the plot is exceptional and unique. Two thumbs up to Nadarajah on creating what could become a popular series.
Ari Kadaloram
Nov 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
a unique story that keeps away from the overused things that we're used to seeing in YA, Fantasy novels. liked it alot.
Jim Keylash
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A post-apocalyptic ya fantasy novel that sets a unique tone and idea that has never before been done as far as i know.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
YA Paranormal and...: Win a Copy of a new YA Fantasy Book 4 40 Nov 07, 2014 02:06PM
Book Haven: Dream Caster - A Dream Come True! 2 2 Nov 06, 2014 08:50AM
Crazy for Young A...: A Dream Come True! - $0.99 2 5 Nov 06, 2014 08:49AM
99 cent Bestsellers: A Dream Come True! - $0.99 2 4 Nov 06, 2014 08:49AM
Indie Authors Mon...: A Dream Come True! - $0.99 2 3 Nov 06, 2014 08:49AM
Goodreads Authors...: A Dream Come True! - $0.99 2 183 Nov 06, 2014 08:49AM
Apocalypse Whenever: A Dream Come True! - $0.99 2 15 Nov 06, 2014 08:49AM
  • The Universal Mirror
  • Semper
  • Carved in Stone (Life After War, #8)
  • The Goblin Brothers Adventures
  • Dangerous Games (Mind Games, #1.5)
  • Emergence (Eden's Root Trilogy, #3)
  • The Four Treasures of Eirean (The Tir Na Nog, #1)
  • Scrap
  • Schism (The Battle for Darracia #1)
  • Defective (The Institute, #3)
  • The Shadow of Black Wings (The Year of the Dragon, #1)
  • Shooting Stars (A Surah Stormsong Novel, #1)
  • A Time to Endure (Strengthen What Remains Book 2)
  • The Shadowbearer (Aegis of The Gods, #1.5)
  • Reaper's Novice (Soul Collector, #1)
  • Winterheim (Dragonlance: Icewall, #3)
  • The Keepers (Connor Chronicles Book 1)
  • Ruin (Unbelief #2)

Dream Cycle (2 books)
  • Dreamweaver (Dream Cycle, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Book of Truths (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Rift (Area 51: Nightstalkers, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Time Patrol (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The King's Traitor (Kingfountain, #3)
  • Fear the Drowning Deep
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hollow Crown (Kingfountain #4)
  • Moving Mars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Lion Hunter (The Lion Hunters, #4)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Forge of God (Forge of God, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Blood Rose Rebellion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Winter Prince (The Lion Hunters Novels)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Final Trade (The Dominion Trilogy, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1)
    $4.09 $1.99
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
  • Timequake
    $8.99 $1.99
“Why do I write? Because I like telling stories and I don't like repeating myself (insert chuckle here).” 3 likes