Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Archive - Yearly Challenges 2015 > Heather's A-Z Challenge by Title - Dec13-Nov14

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ✿ ♥ Heather ♥ ✿ (last edited Dec 07, 2014 10:18PM) (new)

✿ ♥  Heather ♥ ✿ (frangiegal) | 181 comments This is my first time doing this challenge, and I'm incorporating some other challenge's (especially the GCAC) books into this too.

I reserve the right to change a book during the year if I want to :-) and I'll read in any order.

Start Date: 1 Dec 2013
End Date: 30 Nov 2014

Books Read: 21/26

LOL - I probably could've gone and found books with the letters in the title, but I'm happy with my 21/26

✔ A - Allegiant Allegiant (Divergent, #3) by Veronica Roth Read 18/12/13, 4 Stars

✔ B - Beautiful Nightmares Beautiful Nightmares (Asylum, #3) by Lauren Hammond Read 21/12/13, 4 Stars

✔ C - Cloudstreet Cloudstreet by Tim Winton Read 30/4/14, 3 Stars

✔ D - Doctor Sleep Doctor Sleep (The Shining #2) by Stephen King Read 26/3/14, 4 Stars

✔ E - Ender's Game Ender's Game (The Ender Quintet, #1) by Orson Scott Card Read 20/1/14, 4 Stars

✔ F - Five Days in May Five Days in May by Ninie Hammon Read 18/11/14, 5 Stars

✔ G - The Giver The Giver (The Giver, #1) by Lois Lowry ] Read 9/1/14, 5 Stars

✔ H - The Handmaid's Tale Read 6/2/14, 5 Stars

✔ I - In the Woods In the Woods (Dublin Murder Squad, #1) by Tana French Read 7/1/14, 4 Stars

J - Just Remember to Breathe Just Remember to Breathe (Thompson Sisters, #2) by Charles Sheehan-Miles

K - The Kite Runner The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

✔ L - Lexicon Lexicon by Max Barry Read 31/1/14, 4 1/2 Stars

✔ M - And the Mountains Echoed And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini Read 20/12/14, 4 Stars

✔ N - 1984 1984 by George Orwell Read 24/5/14, 4 Stars

✔ O - Oryx and Crake Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam Trilogy, #1) by Margaret Atwood Read 17/4/14, 4.5 Stars

✔ P - Pivot Point Pivot Point (Pivot Point, #1) by Kasie West Read 14/3/14, 4 Stars

Q - Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking Quiet The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain

✔ R - The Runner The Runner by W.J. Davies Read 18/12/13, 5 Stars

✔ S - The Shining The Shining (The Shining #1) by Stephen King Read 25/2/14, 4 Stars

✔ T - Tell No One Tell No One by Harlan Coben Read 13/3/14, 4.5 Stars

✔ U - UnSouled UnSouled (Unwind, #3) by Neal Shusterman Read 10/12/13, 5 Stars

V - Vader's Little Princess Vader's Little Princess by Jeffrey Brown

✔ W - Wings of Glass Wings of Glass by Gina Holmes Read 9/8/14, 5 Stars

X - X-It X-It by Jane George

✔ Y - The Year of the Flood The Year of the Flood (MaddAddam Trilogy, #2) by Margaret Atwood Read 15/5/14, 3.5 Stars

✔ Z - The Zodiac Paradox The Zodiac Paradox by Christa Faust Read 19/6/14, 4.5 Stars

message 2: by Anima (new)

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments Welcome to the challenge, Heather :) I want to read some of the books from your list next year as well. Burial Rites and The Goldfinch are the two must-reads for me :). I loved Unsouled, The 5th Wave and Ender's Game!

Have fun reading!

✿ ♥  Heather ♥ ✿ (frangiegal) | 181 comments Thanks Anima :-)

message 4: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Nov 30, 2013 07:28AM) (new)

Kristie | 5947 comments Mod
Welcome to the challenge! I love your list so far. I am hoping to read several of those books next year too. I am reading Doctor Sleep right now and it is excellent. Hope you have fun with the challenge!

(Love your profile pic with your new baby!)

✿ ♥  Heather ♥ ✿ (frangiegal) | 181 comments Kristie wrote: "Welcome to the challenge! I love your list so far. I am hoping to read several of those books next year too. I am reading Doctor Sleep right now and it is excellent. Hope you have fun with the chal..."

Thanks Kristie

✿ ♥  Heather ♥ ✿ (frangiegal) | 181 comments I've just finished Unsouled by Neal Shusterman UnSouled (Unwind, #3) by Neal Shusterman

Excellent book - gave it 5 stars. I'm loving this series and can't wait until the 4th and final book is out.

message 7: by Anima (new)

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments Likewise :)

message 8: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4070 comments Mod
Me too!

✿ ♥  Heather ♥ ✿ (frangiegal) | 181 comments Just finished Allegiant by Veronica Roth, I gave it 4 stars.

I was so looking forward to this book after reading Divergent and Insurgent one after the other last year. I did find it took a little while to get into it, trying to remember the previous books, who was who etc.

Once I let go and just read, I really enjoyed it. Its a bit of a shame that the reviews weren't too good, but I still enjoyed the book, how things were explained and the ending, (view spoiler)

✿ ♥  Heather ♥ ✿ (frangiegal) | 181 comments Wow Wow Wow - just finished The Runner by W.J. Davies, I gave it 5 stars

This fanfic novella, is set in the Wool/Silo universe... and was even recommended by Hugh Howey, (author of Wool Omnibus etc)

I was captivated from the beginning, loved reading about another story of the silo... (view spoiler), there really could be many, many more stories from different resident's point of view.

This book probably should be read after Wool, so as not to spoil what you find out in the later books of the Omnibus.

I am definitely keen to read more of W.J. Davies's books

message 11: by Anima (new)

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments Heather, thanks for the recommend, I will look into it some time next year :), sounds really interesting!

message 12: by Lynn, Moderator (last edited Dec 18, 2013 02:42AM) (new)

Lynn | 4070 comments Mod
I still need to read Wool / Silo .... so many books and not enough time!

✿ ♥  Heather ♥ ✿ (frangiegal) | 181 comments Lynn, they were so good I read them all one after the other, except Dust, which I pre-ordered and started reading as soon as it arrived on my kindle. Never ever had I done that before!! AMAZING !!!

✿ ♥  Heather ♥ ✿ (frangiegal) | 181 comments I just finished Beautiful Nightmares Beautiful Nightmares (Asylum, #3) by Lauren Hammond by Lauren Hammond. This was the final book in the Asylum Trilogy.

All 3 books were total mind f^&%s. If you want to experience mysteriousness, confusion, tragedy, romance and to definitely not be able to see how this plays out, then this is the trilogy for you!

I am STILL thinking about this and feeling a bit confused! Still !

Note: I did have Burial Rites by Hannah Kent down as my "B", but I will get this read through my Goodreads Choice Awards challenge instead. I really wanted to finish off this Asylum trilogy first.

message 15: by ✿ ♥ Heather ♥ ✿ (last edited Jan 09, 2014 06:39AM) (new)

✿ ♥  Heather ♥ ✿ (frangiegal) | 181 comments A few days ago I finished In the Woods - a murder mystery set in Dublin. Started slow and overly detailed for my liking, but I kept going and it got better.

Today I finished The Giver. This wasn't my original book for the letter 'G', but it was on my list for another challenge, and I'm so glad I read it ! I highly highly recommend this book for anyone who hasn't read it yet. "Utopian" - set in the future that is supposedly better than our future. Very clever. Classic Smiley

✿ ♥  Heather ♥ ✿ (frangiegal) | 181 comments Recently finished The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood and Lexicon by Max Barry both amazing books - loved them both.

message 17: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4070 comments Mod
You seem to be doing very well with your picks :)

✿ ♥  Heather ♥ ✿ (frangiegal) | 181 comments Thanks Lynn, although some of them eg Handmaids Tale, were not originally what I'd put for H.

✿ ♥  Heather ♥ ✿ (frangiegal) | 181 comments Just finished The Shining (The Shining, #1) by Stephen King , all ready to read Doctor Sleep (The Shining, #2) by Stephen King in March. Gave it 4 stars. Suspenseful, gruesome in parts but so well written.

message 20: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kkaytchr) | 20 comments Heather--I am going to start these as well after I finish The Goldfinch..Even though I have seen the movie of The Shining, I have never read it so I thought I would read it before reading Doctor Sleep for our group read:)

✿ ♥  Heather ♥ ✿ (frangiegal) | 181 comments How is Goldfinch Kristie? I was thinking of reading that one soon.

message 22: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kkaytchr) | 20 comments I am enjoying it and would recommend it. It is sort of depressing and sad, but good at the same time if that makes sense. The story takes places during present day and so much happens to the main character that my emotions have been all over the place with this book. I am ready for something scary and not emotional after this one...lol

✿ ♥  Heather ♥ ✿ (frangiegal) | 181 comments Lol, totally understand ! Have you read any Dystopian novels? They are currently my fave genre for escaping.

message 24: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kkaytchr) | 20 comments I am going to read Divergent before the movie comes out and my son told me I would like Ender's Game. Which ones do you suggest? I love that type of book!

✿ ♥  Heather ♥ ✿ (frangiegal) | 181 comments So many so many - here's some I rated 5 stars.

Unwind (and the rest of the series)
Wool Omnibus (and the rest of the series)
The Handmaids Tale

Hunger Games started it all for me :-) Divergent was excellent.

message 26: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kkaytchr) | 20 comments Hunger Games started those types of books for me as well. Don't forget the classic, 1984..always great!! I am going to write down your suggestions--thanks!

✿ ♥  Heather ♥ ✿ (frangiegal) | 181 comments Just finished Pivot Point (Pivot Point, #1) by Kasie West and I really really enjoyed it. Being YA, it was easy to read, I could relate to the flirting (or should I say felt nostalgic about the flirting), I giggled quite a few times out loud actually. And bonus, it also contributes to the Goodreads Awards 2013 challenge !

message 28: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kkaytchr) | 20 comments What was this one about? I finally started Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth and am loving it!

✿ ♥  Heather ♥ ✿ (frangiegal) | 181 comments Kristi wrote: "What was this one about? I finally started Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth and am loving it!"

Hi Kristi... it was about a select group of people who have special abilities and the main character has the ability to experience the future for a period of time, so as to see which decision to make about something.
She needs to decide whether to go with her Dad, who's moving outside of the "compound" or to stay with her Mum inside the "compound". She experiences 6 weeks in both, and the chapters alternate between each "timeline".

✿ ♥  Heather ♥ ✿ (frangiegal) | 181 comments Kristi wrote: "What was this one about? I finally started Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth and am loving it!"

I'll be interested to hear what you think of Divergent!

✿ ♥  Heather ♥ ✿ (frangiegal) | 181 comments finished the audio of Tell No One by Harlan Coben the other day, it was so good...

✿ ♥  Heather ♥ ✿ (frangiegal) | 181 comments So I'm half way through my A-Z ! I can't believe it! I think it will be easy enough to get to 20, and I'll struggle with the last.

I tend to get lots of recurring letters, especially S it seems.

message 33: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Congrats , Heather.

✿ ♥  Heather ♥ ✿ (frangiegal) | 181 comments Thanks Angela :-)

message 35: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kkaytchr) | 20 comments ✿ ♥ Heather ♥ ✿ wrote: "Kristi wrote: "What was this one about? I finally started Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth and am loving it!"

I'll be interested to hear what you think of Divergent!"

LOVED IT!!!!!! I have 4 books that just came in from holds on the library that I have to read before I can get to the next one in the series, but I want to get to the next one--I am hooked!!

✿ ♥  Heather ♥ ✿ (frangiegal) | 181 comments Finished Doctor Sleep (The Shining, #2) by Stephen King a couple of days ago, great book (4 stars)! I'm so glad I read The Shining first... although I'm sure you can follow it ok without needing to.

message 37: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kkaytchr) | 20 comments I am getting ready to read that one now, but I am reading 4 Loooooong books so it will take a while!!

✿ ♥  Heather ♥ ✿ (frangiegal) | 181 comments Four at once ! Wow ! I can only do 2. One reading book, one audiobook.

message 39: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kkaytchr) | 20 comments I drive myself crazy too..lol. 2 are on my Kindle and 2 are actual books..with paper even..lol

✿ ♥  Heather ♥ ✿ (frangiegal) | 181 comments I haven't updated this in a while !

I read Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam Trilogy, #1) by Margaret Atwood during April and gave it 4 stars... wow what a story

I read Cloudstreet by Tim Winton at the end of April and gave it 3 stars.

✿ ♥  Heather ♥ ✿ (frangiegal) | 181 comments Just finished The Year of the Flood The Year of the Flood (MaddAddam Trilogy, #2) by Margaret Atwood today.. gave it 3.5 stars.

✿ ♥  Heather ♥ ✿ (frangiegal) | 181 comments Just finished 1984 1984 by George Orwell today.. gave it 4 stars. It was a freaky, dystopian horror..even though I'd read it in high school, I couldn't remember any of it, which shocks me because there was quite a bit of horror !

message 43: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4070 comments Mod
✿ ♥ Heather ♥ ✿ wrote: "Just finished 1984 1984 by George Orwelltoday.. gave it 4 stars. It was a freaky, dystopian horror..even though I'd read it in high school, I couldn't remember any of it, which shocks ..."

I have quite a few books that I know I've read when I was younger but can't for the life of me remember them.

message 44: by ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ (new)

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments ...and others that terrified me then and now I wonder why.

✿ ♥  Heather ♥ ✿ (frangiegal) | 181 comments I just finished The Zodiac Paradox The Zodiac Paradox by Christa Faust which I gave 4.5 stars. This is Book 1 of a Trilogy, from BEFORE the time of the TV series.

I loved immersing myself in the world of Fringe again. I wanted to shout out to everyone that Fringe was back, Fringe was back! I could imagine the characters so easily, Walter Bishop, William Bell, Nina Sharp. Even though they're in their 20's, their personalities are so... them....

message 46: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4070 comments Mod
Oooohhhh I loved Fringe!

✿ ♥  Heather ♥ ✿ (frangiegal) | 181 comments Lynn wrote: "Oooohhhh I loved Fringe!"

:-) do you think you'd read the books Lynn ?

message 48: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4070 comments Mod
Might do, it's gone on my tbr list but that list is pretty long! lol

✿ ♥  Heather ♥ ✿ (frangiegal) | 181 comments Not many to go now ! Up to 20/26. Just finished Wings of Glass - great book and it was a freebie too.